May 21st, 2008

Carter: Obama-Clinton ticket unlikely

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/21/art.carter.gi.jpg caption="Carter says a joint Obama-Clinton ticket is unlikely."](CNN) - Hillary Clinton would accept the No. 2 spot on the Democratic ticket, but it's highly unlikely Barack Obama will offer it to her should he be the party's nominee, former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday.

Speaking during a question and answer session at an event in Houston Tuesday night, Carter said, in his view, it's not impossible the two could pair up for the general election. But the former president said Obama will most likely search for a different vice presidential candidate.

"I think it would be highly unlikely for Obama to ask her to take it," Carter said. "Because I don't see how it would help his ticket. I think he needs somebody like a [former Georgia Sen.] Sam Nunn, but I won't name others.”

"But I think if he asked her, she would take it," Carter added.

The former president also reiterated that he does not have direct contact with either campaign and is not privy to the VP deliberations.

Carter also said a unity ticket would likely help the party come together after the prolonged and at times divisive primary race. But he stopped short of saying such a ticket would be the strongest Democrats could field

"That would be the ticket the republicans would favor I think," he said.

Carter, a Democratic superdelegate, has yet to formally endorse a candidate, but he has strongly hinted he is in favor of Obama.

1. Kathy

Obama is a astute guy, there is no way he is going to choose a woman who is manipulative and at best will continue to undermine him. The choice should be for the best person to represent the democratic party and Obama's vision for change. Clearly that is not Hil-Bill Clinton.

May 21, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  2. Tammy - KCMO

There are much better choices for VP that Obama could make than Clinton that would do a better job of uniting the party.
    I for one, can not see myself voting for Clinton in any capacity. She has done to much to divide the party. Also, I don't think the Clintons would be satisfied in taking a backseat to Obama and would be overstepping their bounds on a daily basis. If Bill wasn't with Hillary she'd have a better chance. However, if she didn't have Bill with her she probably wouldn't have gotten this far to begin with.
    When the Democratic convention takes place I still have visions of them pulling the Clinton's off the floor in straight jackets. I don't think either of them imagined that the nomination wouldn't be handed to them on a silver platter. In all reality at one time it probably could have but between the lies, the party divisiveness, Bill's playboy antics, stealing of the silverware and dishes, whitewater (?) and more I just can't see a reason to put them back in that position. Make no mistake, it would be a package deal with Hill & Bill. With everything that has gone on the past 8 years why bring back old issues and problems?
    My view when I voted was anyone but the Clintons and I haven't changed my mind.
    Obama has fresh views and thinks logically. This is something we haven't seen in a long time. He has my vote. I just hope he uses that logical thinking and chooses a less devisive running mate.

May 21, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  3. chris

how's this for positive support? the only way obama has even a sliver of a chance of winning in November is if Senator Clinton is the Vice Presidential nominee

May 21, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  4. Sue

I would never ever vote for Hillary. WHY?

All she does is lie.
    She stayed with a man who cheated on her with many many women. Bill had NO respect or love for Hillary yet she stayed with him for her own political gains. NO MORALS
    All she does is lie.
    She's run the most negitive campaign in history.
    All she does is lie.
    She can't manage her own campaign let alone a country.
    Did I mention she lies?
    She Failed the people of New York as a senator. The state lost thousands and thousands of jobs.
    Nafta
    The war in Iraq
    My god, the list goes on and on.
    Again, the lies !
    She has divided the democratics more than anyone else.
    She is destroying the party, so very selfish.

She can't be trusted to be a president. There's no way she would win in November.
    The people won't forget what harm she's done.

May 21, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  5. karen

I do not want Hillary as President (to many ties to Washington and lobbiests) but as VP she could undo those ties by saying "her boss says NO" and we have a unified Democratic ticket. Good idea!!! Just do not want her on top!!!! Think of the champaign we could have crisscrossing this country with the Obama's and Clinton's!!!!!

May 21, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  6. Juliemn

Obama is choosing Oprah as his vp. Wright as his secretary of state.

Obamas ;change is a comming to America:I suggest the obama followers to go live in Cuba for a couple months to get used to this NEW CHANGE!!!!

May 21, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  7. NC for Hillary

I won't vote for Obama UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. His character is the biggest jOke in American history alone. Nevermind his total lack of experience. You Obamicans got yourself a nice Mike Dukakis all built up with no legs to stand on.
    I also for the 1st time supported a candidate HRC this year, and WILL NOT vote for Obama even with HRC as VP, for above reasons, my conscience won't allow it. DNC won't be seeing any $$ from me either.
    I will not vote for McCain either, just will not vote for president at all, unless the green party or something comes up with a good candidate.

May 21, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  8. Kandi

The woman is not going to cause any problems after the nomination of Barack Obama is official. She cannot go down as the one that "prevented" him from winning it. Once she concedes she will basically have to do everything in her power to help him in the g.e. The saddest part of all of this week's ongoing "need to console Hillary voters" is that in and around it we have lost one of the greatest Democratic minds, and are reeling from the news of Ted Kennedy's diagnosis. Yet, we are still making front page the news about the need to let her play it out. Let her go to the end. Let this heal her voters. Give me a break! I would never ever ever ever consider voting for Hillary in a Democratic primary, but I can tell you I would run to the voting precinct and I would encourage my friends to come with me to vote for her in a general election against any republican. Grow up Hillary supporters.

May 21, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  9. Bill

Glad to hear the views of one of the most incompetent Presidents this country has seen. Who cares what he thinks?

May 21, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  10. chris

obama "supporters" should keep up their disrespect for Senator Clinton......the best way to get out of your hole is to keep digging.....

May 21, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  11. Jefferson

Obama supporters should have more respect for Hillary supporters. Obama can't win without them. If they despise Hillary and their supporters then many people from Hillary's side will be glad to cast their vote to McCain.

Rethink your attitudes and if Obama is smart, he should swallow his pride and have Hillary on the ticket.

May 21, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  12. silence do good

from Gary: "I don't want her involved in any way nor her hard core women supporters who have as their only agenda ...."

Yes Gary it is sad when a candidate agressively identifies with a segment of the population that feels they are "due" for their "type" of person, and will overlook any faults, and divide the party.

Note to Ozombies – that is sarcasm. At all all costs, keep those women away from power. Obama was liberal right?

May 21, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  13. Steve - Philadelphia

He would have to hire a food taster. She's completely untrustworthy and unethical. After hearing Jim Webb on NPR yesterday, I'd hope Barack would choose him.

May 21, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  14. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

I'm really feeling that the Dem party will not unite this year. I am an Obama supporter, and know that he has called for unity and to be nice to Hillary supporters. I was all for it, until I read some of the comments on these blogs. Hillary supporters threatening, crying sexism, blah blah blah. You people forget that if Hillary somehow does pull this out, you would need us. At this point, I can say for certain that I would never support this lying woman. I started out the primaries not liking her very well, but still would have supported her. Now, I simply detest her and can't even stand to look at her or listen to her.

I think you will find that your threats will NOT work!!!

May 21, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  15. Mike D

CNN how is it you can keep continuing to spin anything to be pro-Clinton? Front page headline says "Clinton would accept VP, says Carter" this is clearly misleading.

May 21, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  16. marty

Obama is going to find it difficult to find anybody who won't overshadow him. I can think of none. Even a first-time congressman would overshadow Obama. Hillary is way too strong to play second fiddle...

May 21, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  17. Audree Weldon

As registered Democrats my and I found it extremely short sighted on the part of the DNC to send us a request for donations when they can't see fit to count our votes in the Florida primary election. Our Republican legislature moved the started date forward for the Presidential primary and as voters we are denied our voice by the DNC. But they sure would like our money to help support them in the denial among other things. Isn't there something wrong with this picture?

May 21, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  18. Dena

Barack, you know we don't want Hillary and neither does your wife. Listen to her, women know these things. I would still vote for you if you picked her but I'm praying that you pick someone from a state that you cannot easily win (Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia).

May 21, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  19. Les-Wa

We, CLINTON DEMOCRATS will NEVER vote for Obama even if Hillary is his VP. Hillary is the MOST QUALIFIED and MODERATE DEMOCRAT. There are MANY of US moderate democrats than extreme liberals in our PARTY. You all BETTER listen to us.

No Hillary, NO MONEY for the DNC, there's a PRIZE to pay. We will see to it Obama will be DEFEATED by McCain. We've had it with FLAWED and WEAK candidate like Obama. We do NOT want extreme liberal to be President, Obama would be WORSE than Bush and MORE dangerous! For over 7 years now we've seen what extremism can do to a nation, Bush have done a LOT of damage into this country; now, you're shoving down our throat another extremist?

HELL NO! WE WON'T VOTE FOR OBAMA!

May 21, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  20. Richard (from Puerto Rico)

She is just the Huckabee of the Dems. She is a sore looser, she and many non thinkers feel the we are a monarchy with heirs to the throne, nothing further from the thruth, We are a democracy and as such we need to behave. Vote for the candidate of your preference without smearing the other. Be civil, respectful and do not act like you are not . She is still running just to damage Obama. But at the end it will be like the Kentucky Derby, Eight Belles , ran a good race and after Big Brown, crossed tha finish line she broke both her front ankles and had to be euthanized .and Big Brown, he is just fine ready for Belmont,, which he will win confortably, like Barack Obama, will. A winner making history for the ages, opening doors for the better things yet he will bring with his leadership in the WH. Pope or not. Just wait and see, for seeing is believing. Obama, 2008

May 21, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  21. Democrat, NC

How can one vote for McCain if Hillary is not the democratic nominee? Can't you see that McCain is willing to wage a war with Iran? This would be the end of America as we know it; involved in three wars (Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran), close to bankruptcy, and isolated in the world. Obama is in fact the last hope for this country.

May 21, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  22. chris

Obama's political action committee has doled out more than $694,000 to superdelegates since 2005, the study found, and of the 81 who had announced their support for Obama, 34 had received donations totaling $228,000.

May 21, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  23. Former Obama Supporter

The only way I would vote for Obama is if Hillary is on the ticket, but even then I don't want her on the ticket because Obama would just be using her to get the Hispanic vote, Jewish vote, older voters and the blue collar workers. It is very sad that Obama can't get these voters. Obama doesn't deserve Hillary. If Obama gets the nomination, then Hillary will run again.

May 21, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  24. stephanie, Washington

Hillary doesn't need to become VP. VP means nothing and she will be more powerful senator than VP. She will re-run in 2012 if Obama defeats McCain. Hillary's supporters will vote for McCain who is more experience than Obama.

May 21, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  25. Alexis

The dream ticket idea was the best chance that the democrate had to win the general election a few months back, like a few primeries after super tuesday. But unfortunately Clinton since than has been stumping all over this idea by making Obama weak with attacks during the primeries and caucuses. And we all know why she's doing all this, there is say from a different country, let me put in english: "If I can't eat a plate of food from a meat they are cooking right in front of me, I'd rather spoil the meal so that anyone else can eat it".... Again what I'm saying it's clear that she is doing everything in her power to damage Obama's chance to win the general election this November so that she can run again in 2012, witch is her last chance to run for Office. Don't get me wrong I strongly respect Clinton but the problem with her is at this point of the campaign, the only way for her to win the dem. nomination is if the superdelegates take away from Obama and give it to her. But again it's politics, since George W. Bush got elected back in 2000 and 2004, I won't be surprise if something like that happen. Cause at the end of the day we the people never have the final words.

May 21, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |