May 21st, 2008

Carter: Obama-Clinton ticket unlikely

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/21/art.carter.gi.jpg caption="Carter says a joint Obama-Clinton ticket is unlikely."](CNN) - Hillary Clinton would accept the No. 2 spot on the Democratic ticket, but it's highly unlikely Barack Obama will offer it to her should he be the party's nominee, former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday.

Speaking during a question and answer session at an event in Houston Tuesday night, Carter said, in his view, it's not impossible the two could pair up for the general election. But the former president said Obama will most likely search for a different vice presidential candidate.

"I think it would be highly unlikely for Obama to ask her to take it," Carter said. "Because I don't see how it would help his ticket. I think he needs somebody like a [former Georgia Sen.] Sam Nunn, but I won't name others.”

"But I think if he asked her, she would take it," Carter added.

The former president also reiterated that he does not have direct contact with either campaign and is not privy to the VP deliberations.

Carter also said a unity ticket would likely help the party come together after the prolonged and at times divisive primary race. But he stopped short of saying such a ticket would be the strongest Democrats could field

"That would be the ticket the republicans would favor I think," he said.

Carter, a Democratic superdelegate, has yet to formally endorse a candidate, but he has strongly hinted he is in favor of Obama.

1. TAHARI in CT 4 OBAMA

AMEN!

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A REPUBLICAN ON THE TICKET WITH OBAMA!

May 21, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  2. Independant

If Obama dosn't at least ask Hillary Clinton to take the VP spot, how does he expect the party to unite and Hillary's supporters to back him.

May 21, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  3. BettiH, Indianapolis, IN.

Obama should be able to pick his own VP. If it were me I certainly wouldn't pick Hillary. Bill would haunt the man in his own home.

May 21, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  4. SLO Bear

Instead of the Clintons, who have really disgraced themselves, how about someone with some decency like Claire McGaskill or Bill Richardson?

May 21, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  5. Venus

Sure the republicans would favor Hillary on Obama's ticket – they can't wait to go after her and Bill!

Thanks Mr. Carter – we don't want her on our ticket nor near the white house!

Go Bam!

May 21, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  6. JIM WHITTAKER

If Barack Obama caves and chooses Hillary Clinton as his
    running mate, he's just lost the election. Period.

Half the country will NEVER vote for Hillary Clinton, no matter
    what position she is on the ticket. The "Clinton Fatigue" is
    a real and living thing, and it will never go away, no matter how
    nice she tries to play.

May 21, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  7. proud army and navy mom

You are right pres. carter, but i think sen biden is a better choice

May 21, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  8. MoveOn

How does Jimmy do it? He was a terrible president, his appeasement during the Iran hostage affair only emboldened the radicals, who didn't free the hostages until a strong president – Regan – took office, yet Jimmy somehow stays in the limelight. He needs to retire and grow peanuts.

May 21, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  9. Joe Regis

Hillary has stayed in the race for that
    very purpose.

The V.P. slot.

She deserves it.

May 21, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  10. Chris, Middletown, CT

No way should Clinton be anywhere near the White House....

May 21, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  11. Nah!

Barack and Hillary have completely different working styles. They are both very strong people. When you add Bill into the problem, I do not believe a team of these two (or three, depending upon how you look at it) would work. A VP is usually the person who promotes the president's agendas, travels on good will missions, and generally keeps pretty quiet. Neither Hillary or Barack could comfortably do that.

Who ever wins the nomination should look elsewhere, and put their opponent in these primaries in a role in their administration in which they can do very good things outside the Whitehouse...

May 21, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  12. Shelly Lee

I don't know what people say it is an unlikely matchup.
    Obama cannot even win if he doesn't put her on the ticket.......
    So, all I can say is 4 more years of McSame........

May 21, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  13. Obama/Kennedy

I hope he does Mr. Carter she is an evil woman in the top of that Add Bill Clinton to that this will make the Obama admistration will be a disaster.

May 21, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  14. Yasriel

CNN Report this:
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Democrat Barack Obama has opened an 8-point national lead on Republican John McCain as the U.S. presidential rivals turn their focus to a general election race, according to a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Wednesday.

Obama, who was tied with McCain in a hypothetical head-to-head matchup last month, moved to a 48 percent to 40 percent lead over the Arizona senator in May as he took command of his grueling Democratic presidential duel with rival Hillary Clinton

May 21, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  15. CT in CT

God help us!

HRC needs to quit the race and begin working for Obama with NO STRINGS ATTACHED if we are to believe she is not really trying to sabotage thi selection because she is not the nominee.

May 21, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  16. John in Iowa

Who cares what this guy thinks?

May 21, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  17. R

this would be a strong unbeatable ticket for sure. I'm not sure if Obama would want this however

May 21, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  18. WE DON'T WANT BILLARY!

NEVER!

May 21, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  19. Mary

For me, the only way in the world I will ever vote for Barack is if HRC's name is on the ballot. Otherwise, I'm writing HRC's name in on the ballot. Chastise me all you want Obama fans, but that's the way it is. Obama's lack of experience and naiveté scare the hell out of me...

May 21, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  20. Bij- New York

I find it very selfish that ppl would make comments along the lines of "the only way i'd vote for obama is if clinton is on the tkt"...most of the ppl who won't vote for Barack will NEVER vote for a black man as president so pls stop pretending like Hillary on the tkt would convince you otherwise

May 21, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  21. REZ

He wont choose her, wont happen Billary!

May 21, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  22. Kuilor2k

I think Jon Stewart was on to something. A McCain – Clinton ticket. They are both centrists and have worked together before. I don't think I'd vote for Obama – Clinton (simply because the obama supporters have turned me off of Obama so bad that I do not want to be affiliated with them in any way.)

I would vote for a McCain – Clinton ticket though.

May 21, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  23. John

Too bad...I know alot of people who won't vote Democratic unless Hillary is on the ticket. Good luck without her Obama. Picking Jim Webb would be a terrible choice and you can say goodbye to women when the GOP runs ads about his views on women in the military. All that equals another loss for the Democrats.

May 21, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  24. Andy - Wichita, KS

My money is on James Webb or Kathleen Sibelius, but I really don't care much as long as Hillary stays out of the White House.

May 21, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  25. MD

If Hillary supporters rather cut off their noses to spite their uneducated faces, then they are welcome to vote for McBush.

I just hope that when the country is totally bankrupt by 2012, they don't blame it on anybody but themselves.

May 21, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |