May 21st, 2008

Carter: Obama-Clinton ticket unlikely

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/21/art.carter.gi.jpg caption="Carter says a joint Obama-Clinton ticket is unlikely."](CNN) - Hillary Clinton would accept the No. 2 spot on the Democratic ticket, but it's highly unlikely Barack Obama will offer it to her should he be the party's nominee, former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday.

Speaking during a question and answer session at an event in Houston Tuesday night, Carter said, in his view, it's not impossible the two could pair up for the general election. But the former president said Obama will most likely search for a different vice presidential candidate.

"I think it would be highly unlikely for Obama to ask her to take it," Carter said. "Because I don't see how it would help his ticket. I think he needs somebody like a [former Georgia Sen.] Sam Nunn, but I won't name others.”

"But I think if he asked her, she would take it," Carter added.

The former president also reiterated that he does not have direct contact with either campaign and is not privy to the VP deliberations.

Carter also said a unity ticket would likely help the party come together after the prolonged and at times divisive primary race. But he stopped short of saying such a ticket would be the strongest Democrats could field

"That would be the ticket the republicans would favor I think," he said.

Carter, a Democratic superdelegate, has yet to formally endorse a candidate, but he has strongly hinted he is in favor of Obama.

1. Ding, Washington, DC

President Carter is one of the smartest person i know. He had all A s in: Elementary, High school, and College. Check out his report forms at the Carter Center in Atlanta, GA. Incredibly smart man.

May 21, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  2. Scott, Norfok, VA

Michigan and Florida should be seated the way they voted, anything else would taint the nomination. Of course Obama does not want that as he would lose.

May 21, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  3. David, Santa Rosa, CA

I think we need to unite as dems. I also think that these polls that reflect 60% of Hillary voters saying they won't vote for Barack are misleading becuase to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to account for a primary that has run close to two years, not 6 months. No wonder each candidates supporters are entrenched. I think the media, once again, should consider it's responsability in this regard.

Hillary cannot be on the ticket for several reasons, but the primary reason is Bill. I also think that the Clinton campaign has done too much damage and proven that Hillary is not able to respond quickly to a crisis.

Joe Biden or Janet Napolitano would be my first tier VP candidates. I think Hillary SHOULD get a cabinet seat and I would like to see her as Secretary of the Dept. of Health and Human Services.

At the same time, I'm open to anything. Hillary on the tciet would be a fun and incredible ticket.

May 21, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  4. Anonymous

I do not believe she would except the number two spot. Because it would put her in the position of having to explain some of the comments she has made in the primary election. She may be willing to take an posstion related to health care under his administration. I think she knows she has given the republicans enough she does not want to give them her also to use against the democrates. That's just my way of thinking and either way I will be a democrate. With Obama or Hillary.

May 21, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  5. Mary

I am a black woman with a PhD, so please don't tell me that my vote against Barack is because I am racist or uneducated.

May 21, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  6. CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK

TO THOSE OF YOU WHO SAY YOU'D VOTE FOR MCCAIN BEFORE OBAMA...

Why? What rational could you possibly have? These two candidates share almost identical values..

Explain yourself or get real. ie.

CHECK YOURSELF. BEFORE YOU WRECK YOURSELF.

May 21, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  7. Terry in New York

I sure hope barcks people read some of these postings. He'd certaining stay away from Hillary like the plague if they do.

May 21, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  8. fairandstraight

You know, some of these comments are really letting the world see the division among the Democrats. It makes not sense to keep carrying on over Sen. Clinton not being the front-runner. In a free world the presidential nominee should have the right to choose his VP. Sen. Obama does not owe Sen. Clinton anything at all. The comments he extended her was too good considering how she attacked him so unfairly during this process.

His supporters and true democrats will respect his choice for VP. He will need some one he can work with in order to get the job done. Sen. Clinton is power hungry to the point that she can not accept reality.

Obama & whoever his choice for VP 08

May 21, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  9. Carl

I would bet Clinton runs as an independent. Why throw away all this support?

In fact, I pray that she does. I feel the days of the two party system should be banned. The more parties in the field and in Congress, the more that can get accomplished.

I blame both sides for screwing this country up, instead of big oil....

May 21, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  10. SlimSista

TO CARRIE...

WHAT DOES IT MEAN THAT YOU ARE AN AMERICAN BEFOR AN DEMOCRAT?

AREN'T WE ALL AMERICANS....AT LEAST THE LAST TIME I CHECKED I AM AN AMERICAN AND SO IS OBAMA!!!!

May 21, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  11. Freida NYC

Obama's supporters, why so much HATE? It really is disgusting the things you people post here. How do you all expect us Hillary supporters to vote for your candidate in Nov when you continue to bash, and demorilize our candidate?! Is this the kind of "diplomacy" you all learning from Obama. Well, this will not work with the international terrorist leaders.

May 21, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  12. Dennis

There are a lot of potentially great tickets out there. Should Obama become the nominee he could select from any number of Senators or Governors that would fill out his ticket in a complimentary fashion. Senator Clinton would be a fine choice. So would Senator Webb. Senator Hagel has been mentioned. I think it is premature to speculate who would be the best.

May 21, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  13. HILLARY HAS THE POPULAR VOTE!!!!!!

WHY WOULD HILLARY WANT TO GO ON A TICKET WITH THIS LOSER?

HE JUST WANTS HER BIG STATES NEEDED TO WIN IN NOVEMBER!!!

SHE THUMPED HIM AGAIN LAST NIGHT BY A 35% MARGIN AFTER THE 41% MARGIN IN WEST VIRGINIA!!!

HILLARY HAS WON FIVE OF THE LAST SEVEN PRIMARIES!

THIS MAKES HER THE BETTER CANDIDATE.

ONE HAS TO ASK:

WHY AFTER ALL THESE MONTHS AND ALL THE NEGATIVE PRESS HILLARY IS STILL WINNING?

THE SUPER DELEGATES NEED TO DO THE RIGHT THING AND NOMINATE THE ONE WHO CAN WIN!!!!

HILLARY CLINTON!!!!!!

14. Congratulation

Hillary will add some voters to the ticket but for sure take away many republicans and some independents who may vote for Obama. In addition she will make many GOP rally behind McCain.
    However, she should have a role in the next administration.

15. Darth Vadik, CA

Do you people get it?

Who is voting for Clinton and who is voting for Obama?

Who is bringing in the new folks, its not Clinton.

She's in debt 31 million dollars, and thats a good run campaign?

Does she want to make the national debt 15 trillion?

There are two facts in this campaign:

1. Race does matter in this campaign.

2. If she wasn't rich, this campaign would have been over 2 months ago.

16. Terry from VA

If you are a Democrat you should consider voting for the nominee. If you do not want to vote Obama because he is not a female and not white, there is nothing he can do about that. If we lower ourselves to this level of debate then we should only elect White men. It is time for a change!! If we love this country we should be able to put aside the small issues and do what is best for the country, If some believe voting for a white person is more important than having health care, sound foreign policy and sound domestic policy, there is nothing Barack Obama can do about that. We need to move on for the best of the country.
    God Bless America!!

17. Maggie

Wow, Gary sounds like you are a member of Rev. Wright's church. Women are not going to sit back and be addressed as "sweetie or honey". We are stong and we are here to stay. "The best man for the job is a WOMAN" . I pray for Sen. Clinton to be awarded the Democratic Nomination. She has worked hard most of her life to make a difference in America. Sen. Obama is not that far ahead. Sen. Clinton should get the Nomination and it would be in America's best interest to allow her to be the Nominee. Sen. Obama Cannot beat McCain and America will be doomed if we have another Republican President, which is likely to be the outcome if Sen. Obama is the Nominee. He cannot beat McCain and Clinton can. Clinton/ Obama "09 – 12" then have Sen. or VP Obama run and win in "12"
    That is our only chance for the future of All Americans RED, WHITE and Blue alike.

18. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

Atlanta Dan: This is the first election I have sent money to any campaign and I am happy to say I support Hillary.

Better go send her some more then, as she is 31 million in debt. I hope Jimmy Carter is correct, that Billary as VP is unlikely. There are many better choices out there.

19. Jacob

Well, isn't it nice how completely clueless Jimmy Carter is about what Republicans do or do not favor...And how completely unstatesmanlike for him to make these type of divisive comments.

20. FL Voter

Confused Carrie: HillBilly is simply putting Hillary and Bill Clinton's name together. Settle down, no one's calling you a hillbilly. A vote against Obama is a vote for the status quo. We need change!

May 21, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  21. BettiH, Indianapolis, IN.

Oh shut up "AtlantaDan", think with your brain and not with the fact that Clinton is behind in numbers. If you have children / grandchildren supporting McCain is signing their death warrants. I for one surely don't like Clinton, but if she steals the nomination which it is in any Clinton's blood to steal. I would still vote for her, and it would hurt like hell. I have a husband who has served in Afghanistan and came back scared of just walking outside for the fear of walking on a secretly planted land mine. I have 3 grown sons who love their country but doesn't want to fight or die due to a bogus lie and misjudgements starting this war in the first place. I have two grandsons that I don't want to see raised without their fathers. and guess what Dan? were a black a family who loves our country, and wants the war stopped so people can enjoy their sons and daughters and stop having to bury them. So our money isn't spent funding this bogus war, and can be brought back to the US and our economy. You people are being silly and selfish willing to vote for MaCain if Clinton doesn't steal the nomination. McCain is even trying to stop regular employers from furnishing medical insurance, and having people that aren't rich (like most peaple) pay out of their pockets...Is that really what Clinton supporters are really willing to sacrafice all because she doesn't get the nomination if she doesn't? If that's the case, that is REALLY SAD.

22. Hillary Clinton will not be VP

Personally, I have no problem with an Obama/Clinton ticket. But having Clinton as VP would mobilize the Republicans. Those record number of Republicans who are crossing party lines to vote for Obama would go right on home.

Hillary Clinton will campaign fiercely for Barack Obama come June. All of her reasonable supporters will look at the issues (ie healthcare and this stupid war) and vote for Obama. Obama will most likely pick someone from the Clinton camp such as Governor Rendell to unite the party. But he can not pick her because of how nasty her campaign was. In an attempt to win the nomination she has ruined her VP chances. Her "old politics" directly conflicts with Obama's message of change.

23. Jeff M.

Oh, and before anyone points out "hypocrisy" in putting Bill Clinton under more scrutiny than Michelle Obama...just take a second to think whose words the rest of the world gives more weight: a First Lady's or a former President turned First Gentleman.

24. Uncle Sam

According to Rasmussen poll, Sen. McCain leads over Sen. Obama. And this despite the current political environment. Very Interesting.

25. shelly in IL

There is no nominee yet! Why are people constantly on this "Obama/Clinton" ticket. Let one or the other snag the nominee first...sheesh!

May 21, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |