May 21st, 2008

Carter: Obama-Clinton ticket unlikely

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/21/art.carter.gi.jpg caption="Carter says a joint Obama-Clinton ticket is unlikely."](CNN) - Hillary Clinton would accept the No. 2 spot on the Democratic ticket, but it's highly unlikely Barack Obama will offer it to her should he be the party's nominee, former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday.

Speaking during a question and answer session at an event in Houston Tuesday night, Carter said, in his view, it's not impossible the two could pair up for the general election. But the former president said Obama will most likely search for a different vice presidential candidate.

"I think it would be highly unlikely for Obama to ask her to take it," Carter said. "Because I don't see how it would help his ticket. I think he needs somebody like a [former Georgia Sen.] Sam Nunn, but I won't name others.”

"But I think if he asked her, she would take it," Carter added.

The former president also reiterated that he does not have direct contact with either campaign and is not privy to the VP deliberations.

Carter also said a unity ticket would likely help the party come together after the prolonged and at times divisive primary race. But he stopped short of saying such a ticket would be the strongest Democrats could field

"That would be the ticket the republicans would favor I think," he said.

Carter, a Democratic superdelegate, has yet to formally endorse a candidate, but he has strongly hinted he is in favor of Obama.

1. KMAN

She is a LIAR and NOT worthy of the position ... she has been nothing but a detriment to the democratic party for many months now and her supporters are simply blind to reality. She needs to go back to NY ... they voted for her and they are stuck with her!

May 21, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  2. Anne - VA

Thank you President Carter...

Absolutely positively no chance in Hoola Land would Barack Obama even consider asking Hillary to be his running mate.

Oh, I am laughing way too loud!!!

May 21, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  3. David, Santa Rosa, CA

We Obama folks need to stop the bashing of Sen. Clinton and supporters and start finding ways to heal the party. The contest has been over for a while now but I ask you to imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. What if our beloved candidate had lost to Sen. Clinton? Wouldn't we be screaming about the "political machine" behind Sen. Clinton? Wouldn't we be talking about the "same ol' politics?" Wouldn't we be inconsolable and feel our candidate was robbed because of… (fill in the blank). Wouldn’t we complain about how the system was rigged against Sen. Obama and the DNC was showing favoritism?

The point is, after any disappointment we all, as humans, need some time and space to digest what has happened and learn to live with the reality. Not even Sen. Clinton is immune to that.

I personally would like to see Sen. Clinton in the cabinet as Secretary of the Dept. of Health and Human Services. I’d like to see Janet Napolitano or Joe Biden as VP.

The problem with Sen. Clinton being VP is not her ego or Obama’s ego or even the tumultuous primary. It’s Bill. And I’m saying this as a fan and admirer of Bill Clinton. I think it would be a tough nut to swallow. BUT… if Hillary is on the ticket, this Dem. won’t be complaining and will sit here with a Cheshire cat grin.

Go Dems 08’

Is Nov. going to be great or what?

May 21, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  4. Debra Austin, Texas

No offense to Carter, but everytime you open your mouth, you get in trouble. Why does it matter whether HRC would accept the position if it won't be offered? That's only an insult to raise the issue. I'm an Obama supporter but I'm not into insulting Clinton. It just does no good and they've both been in this too long to go there.

May 21, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  5. Rick

re: Xango 4's comment to report the facts.

It is a fact that the Reuters/Zogby poll shows Obama with an 8 point lead over McCain.

However it is also a fact that Reuters/Zogby is not the only poll. It is also a fact that the Reuters/Zogby poll (or any other poll for that matter) is not necessarily accurate.

The Rasmussen daily poll shows a different result

"Wednesday, May 21, 2008 Email to a FriendAdvertisment
    The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows John McCain earning 45% of the vote while Barack Obama attracts 44%. This is the eleventh time in the last twelve days that the candidates have been within a single percentage point of each other. McCain has held a statistically insignificant lead on four of the last five days. Prior to that, it was Obama with an equally insignificant lead for ten straight days"

It is a fact that this may not be accurate either

May 21, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  6. AZM

Obama/Ayers

May 21, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  7. MMN - Milwaukee WI

I don't see Hillary being on Obama's ticket for the presidency.

1st off, Obama's campaign is about change and Clinton is about status quo with her changes only on policy. The social/civil change is bigger that what Clinton offers so there is no value added to the ticket.

2ndly I don't want Obama wasting taxpayers money to hire a food tester in the WH.

3rdly I don't think USA is ready for a trio presidency given Hillary's rhetoric about her experience from the dual Billary presidency in the 1990s.

May 21, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  8. HILLARY HAS THE POPULAR VOTE!!!!!!

YOU KNOW IT IS THE IGNORANT OBAMA SUPPORTERS WHO ARE GOING TO COST HIM VOTES IF HE GETS THE NOMINATION!

THEY CALL NAMES LIKE BABIES BUT OF COURSE LOOK WHO THEY SUPPORT?

WHY CAN'T YOUR MAN BEAT HILLARY?

HE WON'T WIN IN NOVEMBER! I WILL BE ONE OF MANY WHO MAKES SURE IT DOES NOT HAPPEN!!!!

IF HILLARY GETS SCREWED OUT OF THIS GOD HELP US!!!!!

I AM DETERMINED TO SEE TO IT THAT HILLARY IS THE WINNER!

WHO'S WITH ME?

GO HILLARY GO!!!!!!

May 21, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  9. Jent Johannsen

We will go and vote for McCain. Better four years of McCain than four years of Obama (he's a fake).
    The reason he was against Iraq war is because he sympathizes with Islam.
    Jent
    Iow

May 21, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  10. Sick of Hillary

What they are not mentioning is that Hillary is actually making DEMANDS that she be on the ticket. What makes Hillary think that she's in any position to try to strong arm Obama and the DNC? There's that entitlement problem she has again, rearing its ugly head. So no that she realizes that she can't steal the nomination out of Obama's hands, now she thinks she going to twist their arms and offer her the VP spot. Hillary is such a poor sport and sore loser that she has actually threatened to take this to the convention if she doesn't get offered the VP position. Who does she think this is going to hurt? It's going to ruining HER reputation, not Obamas!

May 21, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  11. Steve

If I see one more racist accusation...92% of blacks are voting for him. That is racism. I am sure they have all really done the research on the best candidate. As far as convincing HRC supporters to vote for Obama, reading some of these posts from his supporters, I am sure McCain will be POTUS.
    Chickens will come home to roost!
    (written in loving memory of Mary Jo Kopechne,)

May 21, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  12. Chi4Obama

"fair and straight", I echo the same sentiments that you state above.
    Democrats, let us stop all of this unnecessary bickering, and unite for the good of our country.

May 21, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  13. glenn from Canada

What are the super-delegates thinking! Please tell the Clintons it is over. If the Democrats take this nomination away from Obama now they will never get to the white house and their party will be lost forever.

May 21, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  14. Naitik Vyas

This is a shame...this would have been a great ticket just six months ago...but the dirty politics played by Hillary is too close to how thigs have been for last eight years.... I would encourage Obama to select someone who matches his reformist thinking and isn't willing to play the same old politics

Its time for the new generation of americans to stand up and be heard

I would be in favor for John Edwards or Bill Richardson

May 21, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  15. oldfreedomdude

Clinton would be a very bad choice for VP! She ran a shameful, divisive campaign, and would bring nothing but negatives to an Obama administration. She is basically like Lieberman, for whom Bill (with her approval) campaigned. Bill and Hillary couldn't see the difference between Lamont and Lieberman. Hillary, please just go away!

May 21, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  16. Edwin Portland

Freiday NYC, here's your answer. We expect you to vote for our candidate in November because you're voting for him to be President, not voting for us to be queens/kings of the blogs. Hillary supporters, seriously, stop making everything about you and your feelings regarding supporters of other candidates. Try to look into how each candidate compares to McCain.

May 21, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  17. AK

Carter is an idiot! WHo is he to say who Obama shoudl pick after he defies the US and goes to talk with Hamas, hes afaraid of Hillary because she stands for a strong America that does not sit with enemies that call for the destruction of a soverign nation and our only real ally inthe mideast. Carter, go away and hide under a peanut somewhere. Obama will make up his own mind and as he as said inthe past, Hillary would be on anyones short list!

May 21, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  18. Are You For Serious!!!!!!

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Ok, it's been a while since I posted something….but can someone really explain to me all this experience Hillary has. And don't give me that First Lady Bull. Fact, Hillary and Barak have both been in the senate the same time. Fact, Barak has served in public office as an elected official longer than Hillary when you take his time in The Illinois congress into consideration. SO, those that say Hillary has experience…please lay it on the table and don't tell me she was that influential as a Fisrt Lady. As we say in Texas, "that dog don't hunt," at least not around here. That is like saying that you would get on a plane flown by the wife of a pilot…just because she was there all the years her husband was at the helm…though she has never flown herself. Lets face it people Hillary has rode the Clinton name like Seattle Slew. Really who else in history has come from no experience as an elected official…atleast not of her own merritt and went straight to the U.S. Senate. That was simply because she was Bill's wife. Hillary has not been a Mayor, State legislator, Govenor…not even a Comptroller of Accounts. So if the basis of experience is being married to the president…or better yet being the President's girl, then history has proven that there are alot of mistresses out there that can have the same claim to fame in its simplest form. Starting with Monica Lewinsky. You know if you strip away the Clinton name…what else has Hillary accomplished on her own that Bill cannot be tied to? Thought so…and the Cricketts Chirp through the silence.

The argument was lets make this a hiring decision…okay here goes.

Effective management-Obama
    People Skills-Obama
    Innovation-Obama
    Vision-Obama
    Tangible Goals-Obama
    Steadfast-Obama
    Communication-Obama
    Receptive to Constructive Critisism-Obama
    Honest-Obama

….All things that Hillary has shown me to be lacking when weighed and measured.

So no as a Black, College Educated, 30 year old male I do not vote for Obama because of his skin color….because like my Fraternal Brother Brother told the world 40 years ago in a little address he gave at the March on Washington," One day I have a dream where a man can be judged not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his charecter." The young senator from Illinois has shown tremendous charecter. In the words of Rudyard Kippling…"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you…yet make alloance for their doubting too." That is the Test of a man…That is the The man who Thinks he can…That is what I look for in picking a President.

May 21, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  19. Uncle Sam

I believe what Carrie means is that it is more honorable to vote in the interests of one's country rather than merely follow the dictates of one's political party. Even in the face of criticism. Perhaps especially in the face of criticism.

Americans for McCain '08

May 21, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  20. mescia

AtlantaDan I don't see Obama asking Clinton to be VP because that would hurt his image. Yes, the 2 of them are similar on issues but he's preaching change and a break from the same ol' washington politics and Hillary would be like more years with Bill (who I think did a pretty good job as president I will add).

I'm an Obama supporter and, like you, this is the first time i've ever financially supported a candidate as well. And while I don't dislike Clinton, I strongly feel we need a change from what we've had and we need to unite as a country. I feel Obama is our best chance at doing that and I hope you take a look at everything he stands for before you decide to cast a vote in spite in November.

The Democrats had 2 very strong candidates running and unfortunately one has to lose. Don't vote for 4 more years of this horrendous war and 4 more years of incompetent social policies here just because the strong candidate you hoped for didn't make it. I'm sure if you look at the issues and hear what the candidates are all about you will come to the conclusion that Obama is, far and away, the superior candidate to McCain.

As an Obama supporter I very much value the votes of Clinton supporters and hope we can all unite after this primary to take back this country from the uber-conservative religious right and get back to what this country is all about. Freedom.

May 21, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  21. K

Democrats have a weak process to select their nominee. Caucuses are ridiculous. Allocating delegates is ridiculous.

You Obamaniacs need to follow your leader like the good sheep you are and stop bashing Hillary. It is very ignorant and arrogant to bash her and her supporters and think you can win in November without them. Morons.

May 21, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  22. Robert

I think Obama is more than capable of choosing his own VP candidate. Hillary should not even be considered after the negative campaign she ran, and the fact that she cannot be trusted by the American people.
    There are many other great choices, such as:
    John Edwards, Joe Biden or Bill Richardson. (I personally like Joe Biden best).

May 21, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  23. No Billary No McSame

No way. Go keep an eye on Bill, that's what she can do. No Clintons.

May 21, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  24. momo

I hope Hillary doesn't accept a VP nomination. She's too talented & smart to spend her time kissing up to the Obama crowd. She can become a powerhouse in the Senate. The Democratic party needs a stong centrist to counter all the extreme liberality that will be prominent in an Obama administration. The country needs her steady hand. I won't vote for Obama because his arrogance & inexperience reminds me of Bush when he first hit Washington. But, of course, CNN will be sure to gloss over anything thing Obama does or doesn't do.

May 21, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  25. Rich

Hey Carrie,

They're all going to laugh at you!

By the way, the turm you were looking for is that you are looked at as a Hill Billy.

So vote against Obama, because you have the right to vote for who you want, even if it is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I am an Obama supporter, but I would have voted for her in the general election, not because she is a woman, or she is white, but how she stands on the issues I care about most....economy, war, not being McCain. I will vote for Obama because of where he stands on these issues.

So Carrie, grow up. It's not too late!

May 21, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |