May 26th, 2008

Carter: After June 3, it will be time for Clinton to 'give it up'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/21/art.carter.gi.jpg caption="Carter said Sunday the clock was ticking on Clinton's presidential bid."](CNN) - Former President Jimmy Carter said Sunday that in a little more than a week, when the last Democratic primary voters weigh in, it will be time for Hillary Clinton to “give it up.”

Carter told Britain’s Sky News that Clinton “had a perfect right” to keep running – but that “a lot of the superdelegates will make a decision quite, announced quite rapidly, after the final primary on June 3," he told Sky News Sunday.

"I have not yet announced publicly, but I think at that point it will be time for her to give it up," he added.

Carter, a superdelegate, has not made endorsement but has spoken out frequently in favor of Barack Obama.

Obama leads Clinton among superdelegates and has captured the majority of pledged delegates up for grabs this primary season.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. fanuel

May the Almighty enter the heart and mind of Senator Clinton and grant her the wisdom to acknowlege the depth of the hole she has already dug for her and the Clinton legacy. At this point she may be right that she has already lost so much she has nothing more to lose. The truth is what has been lost so far is certainly irretrieveable but the number of days left to June 3rd are window to save the little that is dwindling each day. And it's better to be left standing with some integrity than to collapse without.

May 25, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  2. from the north

i find a lot of opinions expressed in these political forums by americans pretty extremist. ie. obama = evil, hillary = evil. good grief!

it is also shocking to me anyone would vote for any republican after the atrocities committed by the republicans in the current administration. and to shift from clinton to more republicans, because obama is 'evil' ... please, give your head a shake . .

May 25, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  3. Nav

President CARTER Was/is always right.
    Clintons need to to get out sooner than later.

May 25, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. Steve From Oregon

Mr. President, why don't you announce now. We all know her campaign is a dead horse. The fewer flys you allow to collect, the better for us all.

Vote Obama!

May 25, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  5. Justice

IS FUNNY HOW HILLARY'S CAMP IS COMPLAINING !! DON'T YOU REMEMBER ABOUT THE BITTER COMMENTS? HELLO YOU GUYS MADE THAT ISSUE HUGE AND NOW SHE COMPLAINS , HOW PATHETIC SHE IS!!

May 25, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  6. ABC

I love the fact that recent superdelegates switching to Obama praise him as this wonderful new hope for the country. If he is so fantastic why did they not see this weeks or months ago and back him then? Did they miss the halo and bright light? They are committing or changing sides hoping to curry favor with the possible administration and the Obama voters they represent. She should not drop out. Half of us see Obama for what he is. It doesn't matter how many superdelegates and politicians prop up the illusion for their own gain. Just because his supporters say he's a political messiah doesn't make it true. Neither do superdelegate endorsements. Their votes may nominate him but they're still wrong in my book. A subsequent vote for McCain would not be made out of spite but because he would remain the only viable choice for President. I might disagree with some of his policies but at least he has them.

May 25, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  7. jason

yeah, it's too early to tell. what if something unthinkable should happen to obama, or some of his superdelegates, or some of his voters?

but at least hillary isn't as dumb as i thought. that sort of speech really boosts here spiteful followers. "oops, i accidently said something that will get my flock to salivate."

oh, and if you think "hillary or McCain '08" is anything but a spiteful choice of words, you are as dumb as the people who say it.

May 25, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  8. Willy

The only difference between Obama & Carter is nothing but age. Both say the same empty headed stuff people fall for until it’s too late.

May 25, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  9. The End is Near

I'm so tired of you HRC supporters saying its Hillary or McCain. Only an idiot would vote for McCain over Obama just because their favorite candidate didn't win. Wake Up people, there is more at stake than your hurt feelings about not having your candidate win the Dems nomination. Hillary ran and will lose, get over it

May 25, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  10. Janelle in VA

I understand that there are some who do not see this race as over, but it truely is. HRC started this race with every single opportunity. She treated the nomination process as a formality. The debate right before the Iowa caucas she declared that she was winning. Regardless of how you feel about Obama, he ran against insurmountable odds, and won. He did not have over 200 superdelegate friends to back him up on day one. He didn't have the name recognition, or the clout that Clinton had.
    As a woman, I do not want HRC to be president. I want a self made woman. I do not want someone who's riding on the coat tails of her husband. Clinton is using her experience as 1st lady as experience, which in my opinion means she would not have much experience without it. I want a woman who is unmarried, powerful, and smart. Clinton is truely destroying her political career over this process. I would like woman to really think.....Do you like HRC, or the idea of a woman president? If it's the latter, you should realize that there will be a woman president one day, just not this day. Vote for the good of the entire country, not just for feminism. The country has suffered enough, and helping McCain win out of spite is shameful. If you are going to waste your right to vote on revenge, then maybe you should consider not voting. Don't make everyone suffer because you got your feelings hurt. The is a country, not an individual. Please keep others in mind in November.

May 25, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  11. Linda

Thank you, President Carter! I wonder. . . if Hillary can't deal with the reality of losing here. . . would/could she be able to deal with the reality of world events, domestic events. . . or would the country be BUSHed once again.

I do believe Hillary does NOT have the interest of the Democratic party in mind with her behavior. And. . . hasn't former President Clinton done enough damage to the Democratic party? Why does he feel it necessary to broker ANY deal for his wife?

I can't say after Hillary's latest comments that I would be too keen having her as my vice president. I wouldn't want to put up the time and energy to have to watch my back every moment of the day.

Besides Hillary really does come (obviously) from Old Washington, DC, and the way of doing business as usual. I want to be heard and feel Obama is the only way for change. Let's move forward with change!

May 25, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  12. Steve From Oregon

MS Redhead May 25th, 2008 1:04 pm ET

I have the utmost respect for former President Jimmy Carter, but I believe he should back off his attempts to get Clinton to drop out. If Obama doesn't have the magic number of delegates after the primaries have concluded, then Clinton ought to stay in all the way to the Convention. In several blogs I've read recently, links have been inserted to reports of Obama's involvement in Chicago activities not heretofore investigated nor reported to the public.
    __________________________________________________
    Where were you when all the reporting about the guy on trial and the fact that nothing linked Obama to any wrong doing? Listen, I don't care what network it is...if something credible came out negative about Obama, it would be investigated in to the ground, because IT IS NEWS!!!!!!! Your candidate lost. Give it up and start realizing your only hope for her beliefs to carry on in the new administration lie with Sen. Obama. With few exceptions, they believe in and want the same things. Her problem is she can't quit telling lies, and has extremely low credibility poll numbers.

Vote Obama!

May 25, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  13. Fran

Hey! If you can not run your own campaign, how do you expect to run the country?????Don.t you think you have made enough mistakes? Please don't start crying like you've done before, you really make it look bad for us girls, tell Bill go fly a kite....

May 25, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  14. Tuaranka

I THINK THE CLITONS ARE TRYING TO MAKE OBAMA LOSE ALL HIS CAMPAIGN MONEY. PLEASE, FOR GOODNESS SAKE, CLINTON DROP OUT OF THIS RACE AND LET THE GENTLE SENATOR NOMINEE SAVE SOME MONEY FOR THE NOVEMBER ELECTION CAMPAIGN.
    OBAMA........................THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA COME 2009.

May 25, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  15. Inks

This is not a "lets get the woman out" argument The last time I checked, the republican party did the same thing to Mike Huckabee and no one complained that it is a "lets get the man out" I do not believe it is a sexism issue, it is more a party unity argument. Even Sen Clinton in her now famous misstatement about RFK mentioned that she did not buy the party unity argument that she has been around for sometime. This party does need time to heal and hopefully reconstitute itself before the general election, the earlier the better.
    I will reiterate once again, I being a woman and having fought for my own standing in my career in this man's world recognize sexist motives and in this case I truly believe it is not. If I felt it was sexism in action, I would be in arms!

May 25, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  16. Rico

As an impartial person I must point out that we don't pick our primary nominees by popular vote and our president isn't selected by popular vote (al a 2000, 2004.) Why is this arguement constantly waged by clinton and her supporters.
    I just say lose gracefully and don't claw and scratch at this point. clinton supporters are so devoted to her winning that they seem to step outside of logic for her.
    Regardless of her loss we still need a democrat in office. I say get your feelings off of your sleeve and start to fight the next battle which is the one against the republicans.
    Any person who says they will vote for mccain when hillary loses is either doing it out of spite or doing it for divisive reasons. hillary and barack are on the same side. mccain is the enemy!

May 25, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  17. Ben

For many years I have admired and stuck with the Clintons through a lot of turmoil. But Hillary's campaign has raised alot of red-flaggs about their character as human beings. I am amazed and at the same time thankful for the video's of comments made by her and Bill during her campaign run. I think it is shameful of the lenghts people would go to for power and greed. How could they look the public in the eye and brag about taking $ 400.00 from a young sincere child as a campaign contribution when she knows where her campaign stands?
    How can people who have seen and heard things coming out of her mouth continue to make excutes for her (including news people)? Super-delegates are spine-less and have placed loyalty to the American people second to that of the Clintons. I am a life long Democrat, who after this election will be definately looking at other options. I cannot imagine any other person (white or black) whose legacy is so important that people are standing by and condoning a dirty campaign because the country owes them something. The lesson young people are getting out of this is intergity takes a back seat old style politics.

May 25, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  18. Kim

Elizabeth, NC is right it's time for the delegates to come out of the closets and end this nonsense. Hillary Clinton has done well in New York, however she may ruin that if she is too forceful. I don't believe it is possible for her to win the remaining delegates, end of story.

If she wants to go on about popular vote those were votes that were in some cases cast months ago, and may no longer be in her corner after watching her recently antics. She is close to fracturing the party; casting doubt as to if this is the party to be with for the next four years.

John McCain will be better than Bush we know that much... end of that topic, yet she (HRC) can draw blood and blacken the eye by saying that she has the popular vote.(By bring in to play and braking her own words in regards to Michigan and Florida.)

Now the people of Puerto Rico will not vote in the Nov elections so that they should NOT be part of this "Populous" equation that she will be bantering.

So, When the time comes that she cannot win mathematically it's time for the Supers to call her in and the time is near. Now if she comes out in 2 weeks and concedes there may be spilt blood and a black eye for the Reps to pounce on. Too little too late.

Pres Carter and the others (Biden, Dodd?) need to stand up and be counted as soon as the math is in... 300 total left, 50 something needed by Obama and then that should be it. FINISHED

May 25, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  19. McCAIN THREW MEN OF GOD UNDER THE BUS!

President Carter is a very wise man. The one thing I would add to this is Hillary should have been gone especially after her comment with dangerous suggestions.

May 25, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  20. William Ellis

Former President Carter is being overly kind. This primary was over more than 100 days ago. The Clintons are super human morons.

May 25, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  21. Lisa Lee Erikson

Senator Clinton made the fatal error of believing that she was the heir apparent to the Presidency. It really was a fatal error...as her campaign desperate measures since Iowa illustrates. Her biggest misfortune was attacking a gentleman who did not respond in kind. Senator Obama deserves the Presidency of our great nation.

May 25, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  22. Steve Dallas

I really wish Hillary would listen to everyone telling her she can't win this race...it's prolonging the inevitable. America is tired of politicians who lie, and Hillary is a prime example of that kind of politician. Most people just wish the "Clinton Legacy" would just fade away, never to be seen again.

May 25, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  23. KO

If the magic number changes after the decision by the DNC on what to do with FL and MI, then the superdelagates should pile onto Obama if he doesn't have that number after June 3. Then Hillary will get out. I'm just not convinced this will go the convention yet. I hope Hill doesn't ruin this for the Dems. If so, she is truely dilusional.

May 25, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  24. E.White, Houston,TX

For the survival of the Democratic Party, the Super D's need to make their committment, sooner, rather than later.

President Carter is right. If Mrs. Clinton does not suspend her campaign, she is continuing her fight for one reason, and one reason only, and that is to cause damage to the nominee and the Party.

I agree with Elizabeth. This nonsense needs to end.

May 25, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  25. energy

I hope Carter does NOT endorse any of the Democratic candidates. He is used to losing and anybody he endorses will definitely lose. He does NOT need to attend the convention, either.

Obama is too liberal already to add the bagagge called CARTER.

May 25, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |