May 26th, 2008

Carter: After June 3, it will be time for Clinton to 'give it up'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/21/art.carter.gi.jpg caption="Carter said Sunday the clock was ticking on Clinton's presidential bid."](CNN) - Former President Jimmy Carter said Sunday that in a little more than a week, when the last Democratic primary voters weigh in, it will be time for Hillary Clinton to “give it up.”

Carter told Britain’s Sky News that Clinton “had a perfect right” to keep running – but that “a lot of the superdelegates will make a decision quite, announced quite rapidly, after the final primary on June 3," he told Sky News Sunday.

"I have not yet announced publicly, but I think at that point it will be time for her to give it up," he added.

Carter, a superdelegate, has not made endorsement but has spoken out frequently in favor of Barack Obama.

Obama leads Clinton among superdelegates and has captured the majority of pledged delegates up for grabs this primary season.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. alexcq

Obama will be even worse disaster than Carter.

May 25, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  2. DAN

He never liked president Clinton, well known fact. The problem is the will of the people don't care much for an ex flawed president like Carter. Of course he's an Obama nut but he certainly will not help Obamas case by meeting with a government like hamas who want the destruction of Israel. With Obamas arab connections like Rezko and Auchi and his top advisers recently meeting with hamas who also endorses Obama makes it clear that sen McCain has a pretty strong argument. Carter is basically the guy who lost to who Obama calls one of the best president ever Ronald Reagan. Carter is another looser who never liked the Clintons mabe because they did so much better than him. Hillary has recieved more votes than any other primary candidate in history, that's the will of the people stupid.

May 25, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  3. Paul

Carter – Your one-termer self is doing all you can to stay in the limelight these days – making a fool out of yourself as usual trying to negotiate deals and we all recall from your administration that you were a flopping failure at that. I think the time is NOW for you to "give it up."

May 25, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  4. Ben

Way to go President Carter. You tell that bia what's up. It's time to scoot Billary!!!

May 25, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  5. Alex

...And right you are President Carter. Give It Up, Sen. Clinton. You're beginning to drown in your own ambition. You can't win. Can't you see that!!!

PLEASE GIVE IT UP.

May 25, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  6. Anna

its good to let all states vote and resolve MI and FL

Obama will still have the most delegates, won the most states and the popular vote among contested states.

He will of course already reached the 2025 delegates needed to win and then some.

Then in June the supers can commit to Obama as the nominee and Hilary will have nothing more to complain about.

May 25, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  7. Tim MN.

Butt Out! Mr. Worst President of the 20th Century! Wasn't there a quote from your mother that said "When I look at my chilrdren I think Lillian you should have stayed a virgin" YA! even your own mother had no respect for you.

May 25, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  8. Adamantia

Initially, I prefered Clinton over Obama just because I liked her more and knew very little about Obama. Now that Obama supporters have had a few months to be completely rude, offensive and hatefull to Clinton and her supporters, I am absolutley, positivily NOT going to vote for Obama under any circumstances. If Obama brings out this kind of nastiness in his supporters then he has no business running this country.

May 25, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  9. patrick

To ms Redhead,

i sincerely hope that you dont think Hilary does not have her baggage, much of which has not been brought for the sake of the party. Sad to see you and not to mention Hilary wish such great harm against Obama, cause i REALLY do think that is what she meant when she made that transcending message about Kennedy. I hope the Supers are taking that into consideration .

As far as voting for Mcain like many women say they will do....well we know who to point the finger at when things go terribly wrong.

May 25, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  10. Sally

Like I care what the left-winged loon Carter says? He should have been hung for treason years ago.

May 25, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  11. Bill

Hillary keep going. Mr. Carter you had your time as president, now you should keep quiet until this election process is over. It is Hillary's decision to stay in the race until all the people have had a chance to vote and have their votes counted, even Floriday and Michigan. The press is on Hillary constantly to drop out and they do no need your help Mr. Carter. The press has been supporting Obama all the way and everything Hilalry says they turn it around and blast her. It seems that Obama can say whatever he likes and that is fine because according to them Obama is the next president. I am so tired of a bias press but there is nothing I can do about it so I will support Hillary all the way, and I will vote for her in Nov.

Go Hillary all the way.

May 25, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  12. H

SHAME, SHAME. SHAME. YOU KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO ENDORSE OBAMA SO JUST DO IT. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME.

HILLARY CLINTON IS A STRONG WOMAN AND WILL CONTINUE AS LONG AS SHE WANTS. TOO BAD SOME OF THE MEN THAT WERE RUNNING PULLED OUT A LONG TIME AGO. WE KNOW WHO IS THE STRONGEST AND BRAVEST – HILLARY.

May 25, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  13. Phili

Can anyone explain to me why more than 200 SD's are still uncommitted after 51 contests, 24 debates and endless media coverage of the policy positions and personal characterstics of the two candidates? If these politicians are so indecisive in this situation, how could they be trusted to make tough choices and decisions when they are in office?

May 25, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  14. Joanne

Who do you think you are? More power to we "women" Hillary 08

Do not ever let anyone especially a MAN tell you to get out of this race. You a a backstabber like all the rest.

Girls Rise Rise Rise

May 25, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  15. Marc PDX

My prediction (and interpretation): I predict Hillary will strong-arm her way onto Obama's ticket, making it Obama-Clinton in the general election. Obama won't want this but the superdelegates, many of who are friends of, or are beholden to the Clintons, will tell Obama that in return for their electoral vote he must take Hillary as his running mate. At least I believe this will be the Clinton strategy. Whether it suceeds is too early to tell yet. But why? Because Hillary knows (she's not stupid ... of all the things that she is) that this will help tank his chances of winning the election. Hope and change will be out the window with Hillary on the ticket. It will be "Big Politics" and "Old Politics" as usual with the two Clintons hi-jacking the democratic ticket. After she ruins Obama's chances of beating McCain she will be free to run against McCain in 4 years. And she'll make the case that Obama wasn't the right guy. She was the right one all along ("I won all the big states and all the states we need to win in the general election and Barak didn't!"). If she had to wait for 8 more years (if Barak wins now) she'll be 70 and both sexism and "old age" will both be against her then. So it's either now or in 4 years for Hillary... 8 years is too late for her. So she do everything she can, including joining his ticket now, to try to tank his chances this time. Unethical? Yes. In the Democratic party's best interest? No. Clintonian politics? Definitely!

May 25, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  16. Herman in LA

So well said Mel,

I sure hope so its time we end this and move on to the general.

A Little History on this Year Presidential Race.

Hillary will lose out on two ends let me explain why thanks to Bill Clinton and the DNC. The democrat national committee knew Hillary was a polarizing figure to the American people and had lots of baggage that would be used against her had she won the nomination for president and was their first choice and they the DNC had built this years election process around her.

The DNC knew about Barack Obama when he gave his speech in 2004 and several high profile people including the Clinton's wanted Barack Obama to wait and run for president "8" eight years from now giving HRC a straight shot at wining the White house in 08 because they new the republicans would not have a chance in hell of taking the office again after a Bush administration.

Now here is why Hillary will lose out on two ends, she could have had the chance of becoming the 1st women president of the United States Or 2nd The first women to become the 1st Vice President of the United States both historical achievements for women. Now she will lose out on both because she chose to run her campaign like a republican which could potentially damage the DNC.

Obama / Governor Kathleen Sebelius

May 25, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  17. Think

If Hillary would have won Iowa, and the 11 contests in a row after Iowa that Obama won, we would not be having this discussion, because SHE would be in the delegate lead. The fact is, Clinton ran a TERRIBLE campaign and SHE LOST. Her behavior now is just plain selfish and childish. She is not capable of being graceful and respectful by dropping out. She would rather damage the Democratic party and divide the only group of people capable of ending Bush's 8 years of failed policies. Who's side is she on, anyways?

May 25, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  18. Mike

Wake up America the media is what you are listening to. You are only hearing their side of the story and what they want you to hear. The media is behind Obama and change, what you have to ask is the change of Obama what we really need? Personally I think we would be better off with Hillary. If Hillary doesn't win the democratic nomination I will vote for McCain

May 25, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  19. Think

Hillary Clinton's campaign is $31 MILLION in debt. The only reason she's staying in the race is so that SUCKERS LIKE YOU donate more to her campaign so that she can pay off her bills and bow out. Otherwise, she's stuck with the bills herself. Clinton would rather let the bills go unpaid, thereby harming hundreds of companies who worked for her campaign. Failing that, she would rather thief her supporters into paying the debt on her failed campaign. The situation is quite disturbing.

May 25, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  20. Archie C. Williams

President Carter I wish you were still able to run for the Presidency. As much as I like the Obama has to offer more so then that NUT MCcain and of course the much respected Hillary, when you wer President this country was respected around the world because of your proper diplomacy and you respected politics and way of life. My hat is off to you sir, because you were never afraid to standup for the truth and tell it like it is, not how they wanted it told, but you went against all to tell the truth about any situation..I wholehartely respect you sir for being a REAL PERSON, and not a fake like the NUT who is running around parading as a president

May 25, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  21. Chris

I really do not understand why there is so much animosity towards Obama. "He is underhanded and sinister and has crazy connections". He is a sleeper agent for the forces of darkness and on and on and on.

C'mon people he won the game fair and square playing by the rules laid out by the DNC and supported by both candidates before the primaries began. He ran a better campaign and is more appealing to people. That's what it comes down to.

Get out Hillary and if the scandal you are waiting to erupt does erupt then you will be the Nominee. This charade is not becoming conduct of someone I would want as my president.

And as for Bill Clinton, what happened to you Bill Clinton? Seriously.

May 25, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  22. Sorry, Jimmy

Jimmy, I voted for you and once had much respect for you. Those days are gone.

The race is not over and if there are still not enough committed delegates, it should go all the way to the convention. There are still plenty of us that hold the reasonable view that Clinton has a MUCH better chance in the general election than Obama. I have voted for the Democratic candidate in every election since I was old enough. I won't be voting for Obama. I think his chances are extremely slim. I hope we don't have to find out.

May 25, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  23. Karen, TX

I JUST DON'T GET IT!! HILLARY SUPPORTERS, WHY ARE YOU BAD MOUTHING US (OBAMA SUPPORTERS) FOR BELIEVING IN OUR CANDIDATE. WE PLAYED BY THE RULES AND YET WE ARE STILL BASHED FOR IT!! HILLARY HERSELF STATED THAT HER VIEWS ARE MORE IN LINE WITH OBAMA'S. IF THAT IS THE CASE, WHY WOULD YOU VOTE FOR WHO YOUR CANDIDATE HIGHLY OPPOSES? IT LEADS ME TO ASK, WHAT IS YOUR REAL REASON FOR NOT VOTING FOR OBAMA? I AM A WOMAN, AND IF HILLARY WON THE NOMINATION, FAIRLY, I WOULD NOT HESITATE TO VOTE FOR HER. WHY CAN YOU NOT SAY THE SAME? I JUST DON'T GET IT!!!

May 25, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  24. Bette

Poor Jimmy. I voted for him and I respect the work he has done over the years for various organizations, but he seems a bit desperate for publicty these days. He should either endorse or shut until that time. Hillary will either be nominated or not–but this is the process, folks. There are elections scheduled for a reason up until they are over. There is a process and many people should educate themselves on this process (oh, I fogot it is the Obama folks who are so very educated). Doesn't seem like it. Either rate it will take all sides and factions to win the election in the fall. If Obama supporters do not understand respect–then they will know defeat in the fall. Simple as that. I voted for Hillary, not because I do not like Obama, but because Hillary it the right choice for 2008. Obama should have waited–

May 25, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  25. SS

anyone who posts here and makes comments about "foul mouthed obama supporters" and accusations that Obama is anti-American and his campaign is sinister-loses all credibility.

Emotional, illogical, biased, foolish....I could go on. Stereotypes, ad hominem attacks and accusations with no basis have no business in a political discussion.

May 25, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |