May 27th, 2008

Clinton rallies union in Puerto Rico

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/26/art.hrcpr.ap.jpg caption="Clinton’s campaign is hoping to score a significant popular vote win in Puerto Rico."]
PONCE, Puerto Rico (CNN) - Hillary Clinton held the most raucous rally of her Puerto Rico campaign swing on Monday in front of several hundred members of the Servidores Públicos Unidos union, who shimmied to live music before the event and cheered on the senator with chants of “Si se puede!”

The union operates as an affiliate of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, which has endorsed Clinton and spent millions on her campaign’s behalf. AFSCME President Gerald McEntee was on hand in Ponce to introduce Clinton, but he spent a good chunk of his speech eliciting boos for Barack Obama.

“Obama was here twice,” McEntee said, painting the Illinois senator as a Johnny-come-lately to the issues affecting Puerto Ricans. “Once to raise money. He was here for two hours, and he left, and he went on vacation. Then he came back this past weekend for two days, then he left again.”

An energetic Clinton, assisted by a translator, delivered a speech similar to others she has made on the island, pledging to offer economic incentives to the island, promising to resolve the issue of Puerto Rico’s status by the end of her first term, and reminding voters that she represents an estimated one million Puerto Ricans in New York.

In the middle of her remarks, as the audience chanted “Si se puede!” - a phrase that's been co-opted by Obama supporters - Clinton injected some Spanish of her own.

“Not only ‘Si se puede!’ Si podemos! We will! We will!,” she shouted, although there was some debate among reporters whether she stumbled over the word “podemos.”

Clinton appeared on the stage with her daughter Chelsea, who did not speak, and Bill Clinton, who campaigned with her throughout the day. The former president said his wife has long been dedicated to Puerto Rican issues.

“She understand you better, she cares more, and she has the best commitment for the future of the people of Puerto Rico,” he said. “Nothing would symbolize her commitment more than this victory” on June 1. The Clinton campaign is hoping for a healthy margin of victory here to bolster their argument that they are winning the popular vote.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
soundoff (1,133 Responses)
  1. Josh

I can't believe how many people here actually hate Hillary. Obama is the one who can't define "Change". Hes the preacher that has pulled the wool over the eyes of millions. God forbid he's elected. Hillary has served us well and will continue to do so. Shame on you all for being so horrible to her. I PROMISE I will vote for McCain over Obama. ..and yes, I'm a white collar self made millionaire and I think she rocks.

May 26, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  2. Mike in Calgary

Clinton wants Revotes in Florida and Michigan and will pay the $10M cost for them. Malarkey! Her campaign has squandered $190 M,
    and is $20 Million in debt.

JUST WORDS ... er Bosnia Airport ,,, JUST LIES from the Clintons.

As said to Jerry MagGuire, SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Oh well look at the BRIGHT SIDE of Hillary's collapse – we don't have to listen to more of JAMES CARVILLE!

Mike

May 26, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  3. HILLARY SUPPORTER.

If Hillary is not selected by the cover up of DNC and the Obama people
    we a group of people will vote for John Mcain, because there is no democracy in democratic party. Think about the popular vote that Hillary has. Delegates number is not important need to count the popular vote and the experience. Obama doesn;t have any knowledge and no good for a sppech. Look for another 4 more years of republican rule.

May 26, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  4. Common Sense

Let's all go vote for clinton! NOT! superdelegates let's end this drama for hillary tomorrow. I don't care that hillary has sold her self to the devil making promises she can't keep, this race is over. No matter how much CNN toots the cookie monster on.

May 26, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  5. taka

This woman is so inspiring to me.

May 26, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  6. Go Hillary

I think that if obama is the nom. I will have to vote for Mc Cain.

May 26, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  7. dallas

I am so tired of hering how fake She is and how empty headed morons believe evrything Barrack says. I can't even follow him long enough to get a strategy through the rambling and rhetoric. she is briallant and does reprpesent change in ths world and on this sphere of existance.

keep going Hiliary

May 26, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  8. gino

Bravo Mrs. Clinton. Please do not lose out on us. We support you no matter what. You have won our hearts and minds. I would support your candidacy even if it is outside of the traditional hold of the Democratic party. The party needs many lessons to learn. One of the big ones is that they need to revote in all those states after Obama's connections with William Ayers and his philosophy with Pastor Jermiah Wright became known. Old primaries need to be repeated since people did not know of Obama as they know of him now.

We want to you to run as Independent if Dems drown you.

May 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  9. The Reality Check

I think Clinton is mentally ill! I hope she uses her senator's mental health benefits before New York gives her the boot! What a waste of her supporters money! It's a shame how the unintelligent , uneducated, people can be robbed! This is a lesson for anyone not planning to pursue a college degree!

May 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  10. 2Cents

Obama fanatical followers,

Stop and think a minute for the country's sake. Have you done any homework on the man you're following? I understand that our country has become a celebrity worshiper, but this is a serious matter. Com'on.

May 27, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  11. charles

GO Puerto Rico. America has their head in the sand.

HILLARY 2008.

May 27, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  12. Core Democrat

WE LOVE YOU, HILLARY!
    THANK YOU FOR CHAMPIONING FOR THE RIGHTS OF ALL!

THAN YOU PUERTO RICO FOR VOTING FOR HILLARY CLINTON!

May 27, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  13. mike

WAY TO GO PUERTO RICO
    OBAMA IS PROPERTY LOCK STOCK AND BARREL
    OF OPRAH WINFREY, HOW I DISLIKE THAT WOMAN.
    WORTH 1.5 BILLION HOW MUCH HAS SHE REALLY GOTTEN THRU
    TO OBAMAS CAMPAIGN. I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR OBAMA HE WILL MAKE THE COUNTRY WORSE. ID LIKE TO SEE OPRAH STRIPPED OF ALL HER WEALTH SCRUBBING FLOORS IN SOME INSTITUTION .
    INSTEAD IF OBAMA WINS IN NOVEMBER WHICH I DOUBT SHE WILL HAVE HER OWN SUITE INTHE WHITE HOUSE SORRY OPRAH FANS
    OBAMA IS HERS JUST LIKE DR PHIL AND RACHEAL RAY
    GO HILLARY AND IF YOU WIN MAYBE YOU COULD HIRE OPRAH TO SCRUB THE WHITE HOUSE TOILETS

May 27, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  14. Gaby in TX

It's a delegate race, not by popular vote. HRC says it often enough, her people will believe it. HRC needs to be more transparent and bring out those skeleton's in her closet to include Bill since she is married to him whether he was president or not.

May 27, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  15. Mary

Senator Obama and his supporters are out of touch with the real America. They think they can taunt, blame amd smear Senator Clinton but it will come back and haunt them. Senator Obama is losing the respect of the voters every day and will not win another electiion. He should just go back to his corrupt home city of Chicago and let the voters pick the best candidate. Obama will say and do anything to win, anything, but mostly wrong.
    America wants Senator Clinton in the White House again.

May 27, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  16. FrankinDallas

Bizzar comments and behaviors unbefitting of a former President and a former first lady!! I would never have thought that both would stoop so low as to work so hard to pit democrates against democrates!! For a couple who defaced the white house and still have such impetus and guts to say the things they say tells one a whole lot about this pair. They are made for each other.

Both must be in a lala land. For someone (Bill) who made a fool of himself and the presidency, Bill "I did not have a sexual relation with that woman" Clinton ought to be ASHAMED of himself for making outrageous comments. But then, the guy has no shame whatsoever; nor does his wife!!

Someone please get both of them to a nut house!!

May 27, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  17. Gaby in TX

Obama 08/12

May 27, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  18. TITO

Hans-Erik Iken....Puertoricans can't vote in the general election but they vote on the primary.

May 27, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  19. Jane

You anti-Hillary fans need to wake up! Obama is useless! If it is between Obama and McCain, I hope McCain wins. Obama will ruin this country and be a big dissappointment to all. His promises are full of hot air! Go Hillary!!

May 27, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  20. Jason

Could it be that the media covers Obama more because he's actually winning? In every way? Does anyone remember the pre-Iowa days where Obama was treated with the same sort of "he's here but we all know who's going to win here" treatment as John Edwards?

When you're leading in the popular vote (unless we want to include states when he wasn't on the ballot), have an insurmountable lead of pledged delegates, leading in superdelegates, and have won twice as many states as your closest rival...lol, you're the winner.

May 27, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  21. go hillary.

DNC and Obama is destroying the democratic party. Some how the deleagates supporting Obama without thinking the popular vote and opinion. It is a shame of the democracy. DNC and Obama is destroyed the party and helping republicans to win the next election.
    I feel sorry about Jimmy Carter, one of the best democratic president
    betraying his party and a good chance to get the presidency. This time Obama Hussien need to run for Vice presidency then he will get a chance to run for presidency, other wise both the candidates and DNC is loosing their best chance, Hope Hillaryb will run as an indipendent candidate.

May 27, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  22. John Youing

We love Hillary! Hillary for President 100 %!

May 27, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  23. TITO

C.W. Texas, read my last comment....and YES, Puertoricans are US Citizens.

May 27, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  24. Linda

I am so horrifed whenever I read the comments posted to a CNN article. I have NEVER in my life heard/read such hatred and aggressiveness towards a candidate as I have in this election – and we've had much worse candidates during my lifetime than Hillary. Only Obama's supporters spew personal, vindictive remarks about Hillary. Early on in the primary campaign, I subscribed to Edwards, Obama and Clinton website so I could get their emails. OBAMA was the only website and emails who personally attacked the opposing candidates and name specific things they had said. Obama's campaign is responsible for the divisiveness that is enveloping the democratic party. There has been absolutely no reason for Hillary to drop out of this race – other than to forefeit the race! The primary election is a TIE. Hillary has the popular vote and Barack has the delegates. Which do we choose? I am personally terrified of an Obama presidency – I have no idea what he stands for, what he believes in or what his goals are – he sounds like a raving, arrogant brat to me – And it is amazing that despite the sexist media, a vicious Obama campaign, and a lack of funds, Hillary has still receive more than half the votes in this country. I totally trust Hilllary's competence, judgement and integrity. I do not trust Barak Obama at all.

May 27, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  25. Anna

Who are you, Obama people? Where does your hatred come from? Have you no sense of balance. Have you no sense of respect and civility for those you do not agree with? I am truly stunned by the vitriol, for you must be Democrats. And it sounds like you are the very people who would crucify Christ all over again. Really. Who are you? Explain to me the depths of your hatred. I am truly mystified. May God bless Barack Obama, he is wonderful. And may God bless Hillary and Bill Clinton, for they too are wonderful. Let us join together Democrats, and stop the irrational negativity and darkness. Peace to all!

May 27, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |