May 28th, 2008

Paterson says Clinton frustrated, not desperate

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/28/art.paterson.gi.jpg caption=" Paterson backtracked from his comments last week describing Clinton as desperate."] (CNN) - Hillary Clinton supporter and New York Gov. David Paterson appeared to backtrack Wednesday from his comments last week suggesting the New York senator's latest actions on the campaign trail showed signs of "desperation."

Speaking on a New York radio station Wednesday, Paterson said "desperation" was probably not the correct word to attribute to the New York senator.

"I think a better word would have been 'frustration,'" Paterson said Monday on Talk 1300. (Listen to the interview here.) "The frustration was that the senator had won votes in Florida and Michigan and would like to have those delegates. Certainly in Florida, I think there is a very good argument with that."

"I still believe that number one, she is the best person suited for the presidency and number two, she is the most likely to defeat John McCain," he also said.

Paterson's original comments came Thursday, when he appeared to express disagreement with Clinton over her continued push to get the full delegations of both states seated.

"I would say at this point we're starting to see a little desperation on the part of the woman who I support and I'll support until whatever time she makes a different determination," Paterson said then.

Paterson, a Democratic superdelegate, also said then he disagreed with the party's initial decision to penalize the states, but added he thought the party should now "leave it where it is."

Clinton won both states' primaries, though Barack Obama removed his name from the ballot in Michigan. Clinton uses popular vote totals from both Florida in Michigan in her claim that she is beating the Illinois senator in the overall popular vote. The Democratic National Committee Rules and Bylaws Committee is slated to meet Saturday to determine if and how it will seat the two state's delegations at the party’s nominating convention this summer.

Filed under: David Paterson • Hillary Clinton
  1. Jaci

The title is funny to me 🙂

May 28, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  2. fred2..since another stole my name

Yes, it is about time...you all start telling the truth!!

Go Hillary...all the way to the convention!!

May 28, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. R. Cooper

Oops! Governor Patterson got a 3:00 AM call from the Clinton's I see!

May 28, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  4. Angus McDugan

She is frustratd that America is not stumbling all over itself to crown her queen Hillary. How dare America not kneel down before the Clintons.

May 28, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  5. Kenneth M

EVEN A BLIND MAND CAN SEE THAT SHE IS WRONG

May 28, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  6. Extinct

How about this? Obama represents the Democratic party. Done deal. McCain is a lame duck, so he's got to be replaced immediately as the Republican candidate. Hillary becomes the Republican candidate. She used to be a Republican anyway. This way we can have a head-to-head, powerful, dynamic, authentic race for the U.S. presidency by the two best qualified candidates, Obama and Hillary.

Obama represents the Democratic pary. Hillary represents the Republican party. McCain goes home, or Iraq, whichever he chooses.

May 28, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  7. noemi in los angeles

no, she's majorly desperate to me. thanks.

May 28, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  8. Johnny

Just soon as the primary is over she is going to go after your job boy. Watch your back!

May 28, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  9. Less, Austin Tx

No...she's desparate.

Just the facts now. Oh wait a minute . . . a Clinton supporter – well forget the facts then. Yeah, she's frustrated, yeah your right..sure

May 28, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  10. MD in GA

I wish the Govenor had just held his ground. Desparate was the correct word for Senator Clinton's behavior. Probably got a very hot phone call or two or three or four...

May 28, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  11. NEVERNEVEROBAMA

GO BABY GIRL!!!

HILLARY ALL THE WAY!!!

OBAMA IS A JOKE!!!

May 28, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  12. Andrew

There are a lot of really sad people on this post...

May 28, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. Hillary, its OVER!

Hillary! stop cheating, stop lying, stop flipping on whether the delegates should be seated only when it serves you!

Its over! You're hurting the Democratic party and ultimately hurting America! Pack it up and go home!

May 28, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  14. Keith R.

Sounds like someone got hate voice mail from a Clinton...

May 28, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  15. Ty

I'm pretty sure is desperate. It sure seems that way now.

May 28, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  16. Dealt

"appears to backtrack"??? He's stumbling all over himself while running backwards. Seems he's afflicted with forgetfulness too. Or just misspoke (contagious). Remains to be seen on which statement... We'll find out later, when Obama wins.

Pity. There goes another good man... Caved in fast to the "blonde" twister.

May 28, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  17. Brian Knoxville, TN

Hillary has way too many loyal supporters–millions–to be desparate.

The Democratic Party's primary and caucus process is frustrating, and totally ridiculous judging from the disconnect between what's happening within our Party versus what will happen in Nov. if we end up with Barack Obama as the nominee.

The whole point of going through this nomination exercise is to determine who can win a general election in the Electoral College in November, not shoot ourselves in both feet by strapping ourselves to a weak candidate with no experience and no resume like Barack Obama. Isn't that what the superdelegates were given power for? Show some leadership and endorse Hillary Clinton.

HILLARY CLINTON '08

May 28, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  18. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Patterson is still suffering from a severe headache after Hillary and Bill gave him a "bad boy" pat on the head.

May 28, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  19. Randy - Denver

I CANNOT wait for June 4th! By that time Fl and Mi will be resolved, to no ones likeing I am sure but resolved none the less, the final selections will be over and I will NOT have to read on EVERY blog the lies from the Clintonistas again!

Freedom from the Clintonistas in SEVEN DAYS!!!

"Certainly in Florida, I think there is a very good argument with that."
    What an outright patent LIE! The vote in Florida was NOT reflective of the people of Florida. I thought Ms. Clinton was all for the blue collar workers, you know the ones who cannot afford a house at the inflated Florida prices, you know the ones who rent, the ones who DID NOT VOTE becuase the only reason to vote was a property tax thing. In other words the only people who count in Florida, according to Ms. Clinton, are the wealthy!

May 28, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  20. Obama! Our NEXT president!

OBAMA 08!

Hillary supporters, either vote Dem or just dont vote! You will be a disgrace to the dem party and a disgrace to this country if you vote for McBush.!

May 28, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  21. David, Santa Rosa, CA

You say tomato I say tomayto... Frustration, desperation... Don't be silly governor, she is D*E*S*P*E*R*A*T*E! (I mean... frustrated).

May 28, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  22. The Oracle of Delaware

Hey Hillary is A Okay. I just finished playing 18 holes of golf. My opponent had me at the end of 15 holes, but I turned on the steam and on the 18th hole I made a birdie to his triple bogie. Now don't tell me nothing could happen. It did and it can.

Go Hilliary beat this lying SOB who claims parentage to Bush, the King of England and his grand pappy the cook liberated all the Jews from concentration camps in 1945.

Give me a break. obombus will say and do anything to win.

May 28, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  23. leon

A vote for Obama represents a second term for the Carter administration. Do Americans really want to go back to that?

OBAMA = CARTER

the worst president in the history of USA

May 28, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  24. Indiana Voter

I'll bet my meger paycheck he got a phone call from Billboy to recant.

May 28, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  25. Jordan, NY

Any impartial observer can see that you can't legitimately hold a primary where one candidate has universal name recognition and one is unknown and not allow those candidates to campaign. This is what happened in Florida. Yes, it was dumb of those states to move their elections. Yes, it was dumb of the DNC to punish those voters. But even dumber would be to recognize the results of unfair elections as even "half-legitimate."

May 28, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |