May 28th, 2008

Paterson says Clinton frustrated, not desperate

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/28/art.paterson.gi.jpg caption=" Paterson backtracked from his comments last week describing Clinton as desperate."] (CNN) - Hillary Clinton supporter and New York Gov. David Paterson appeared to backtrack Wednesday from his comments last week suggesting the New York senator's latest actions on the campaign trail showed signs of "desperation."

Speaking on a New York radio station Wednesday, Paterson said "desperation" was probably not the correct word to attribute to the New York senator.

"I think a better word would have been 'frustration,'" Paterson said Monday on Talk 1300. (Listen to the interview here.) "The frustration was that the senator had won votes in Florida and Michigan and would like to have those delegates. Certainly in Florida, I think there is a very good argument with that."

"I still believe that number one, she is the best person suited for the presidency and number two, she is the most likely to defeat John McCain," he also said.

Paterson's original comments came Thursday, when he appeared to express disagreement with Clinton over her continued push to get the full delegations of both states seated.

"I would say at this point we're starting to see a little desperation on the part of the woman who I support and I'll support until whatever time she makes a different determination," Paterson said then.

Paterson, a Democratic superdelegate, also said then he disagreed with the party's initial decision to penalize the states, but added he thought the party should now "leave it where it is."

Clinton won both states' primaries, though Barack Obama removed his name from the ballot in Michigan. Clinton uses popular vote totals from both Florida in Michigan in her claim that she is beating the Illinois senator in the overall popular vote. The Democratic National Committee Rules and Bylaws Committee is slated to meet Saturday to determine if and how it will seat the two state's delegations at the party’s nominating convention this summer.

Filed under: David Paterson • Hillary Clinton
  1. carrie obama

go hillbilly
    we do not want you
    you have 35 years experience and you would beat maccain,
    yet u can nit beat obama
    go away with ur stupid lies.
    go away
    go away
    go away
    go awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

May 28, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  2. Corie,Canada

I strongly support Senator Clinton. She will be a remarkable Commander-in-Chief of the USA. I am saddened by the way she was treated by the media. It is evident that Obama is the darling of the media. Edwards placed his support for Obama with such a patronizing comment to how great Clinton is. I could'nt believe how disrespectful the comments were about this brilliant and enduring woman. All the best Senator Clinton.

May 28, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  3. David Shine, London, England

He was blackmailed, so sad

May 28, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  4. Jason Horse

Grasping at straws again!!!! Talk about desparation.
    What about the caucus votes not being in the calculations of Billary and including the Florida and Michigan votes where OBAMA did not campaign? How can these calculations of Popular vote cause an uproar of desparation?
    Clinton....give it up....Your FINISHED!!!! ha ha ha

GO OBAMA O8-2012

In spirit,
    Horse in Canada.

May 28, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  5. Lee

He realized they are (Clintons') are coming back to NY to haunt him but entitled to his opinion. Good job, Governer!!

May 28, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  6. lynn

Desperate is the word, bitter another. June 4, 2008 Hillary should just bow out. If she doesn't then we know for sure its all about her screw the country, screw the party. I wish the Clinton's would just go away and stay away. OBAMA, he's the next president and Hillary and Bill are just going to have to take the vinegar... they've already had the sugar.

May 28, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  7. Pistoff

Hillary won't help New Yorkers as President.

May 28, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  8. Annoyed white American

If clinton win I will never in my life vote. Period. Everytime I hear her talk I get so annoyed. I am from Michigan. I am tired of people saying count Michigan and Florida. We broke the rules so let us pay.

May 28, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  9. Chipster

Liar? Scared? Blackmail? This is the Obama supporters? I'm also frustrated because it depresses me to watch the DNC throw this election in the trash. I don't believe for one minute that Sen. Obama will defeat McCain because I've seen him in the debates. There are a lot of unanswered questions about him and he doesn't answer the questions well at all.

May 28, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  10. Anonymous

No, he was right the first time – it is DESPERATION.

May 28, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  11. Deb

She IS desperate - she's like a drowning cat - she'll claw and cling on to anything and take anyone down with her!
    Obama '08

May 28, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  12. Terry in Fl

When I first saw this man standing behind Hillary my first thought was that he looked like he was a real loser. However, the man has shown the grace and intestinal fortitude befitting a true leader. He had the guts to come back before the press and correct the misconception that his support was waning. If all of Hillary's supporters had the guts this man did, she would be in the lead now. However, most of them are weak and bowing to party pressure to support the "minority black man". it's a shame. We have a real leader in Hillary and she could make a very big difference in our country and the party's treatment of her is nothing less than shameful.

May 28, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  13. Arlene

BC never complained about delegates or caucases when he was running. It is only now when the coronation is not about to happen do you hear all the whining. Now, everything is not right for the Princess and the King! Can't wait until they disappear into the political dust heap.

May 28, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  14. Peter D.

Im proud to see Mr. Obama finally bought a new suit. He will need it for the job hunt he will be going on soon.

Clinton 08 ....if not....McCain 08

May 28, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  15. Unreadable

Desperate, desperate.

May 28, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  16. Javid Radfar

I completely agree with Leon. Obama is equal with Jimmy Carter, and Carter is the worst president in the history of United States.

May 28, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  17. Arlene

Obama is ahead in the polls in California now. Many of the Ca supedelegates are in his pocket right now. Get your facts correct! A whole lot of Clinton remorse out on this West coast.

May 28, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  18. Canadian Neighbour

Whatever David !

Desparate, Frustrated, Mean,Angry, Cross, Miserable, Spiteful, Hateful, Bitter, Sore Loser......that's what best describe the Clinton Camp !

May 28, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  19. Michigan Voter !!!

DNC , I Voted In The Michigan Democratic Primary Jan. 15th 2008 , My Vote , And The Votes Of Michigan Primary Voters , Better Be Counted As Certified . Or This Democrat Will Teach The DNC A " LESSON " Starting This Fall , And All Elections For The Next 4 Years . I'm Gonna Vote Straight Republican !!!!! . The Democratic Party Has To Be Punished !!!!! You Have Violated Our Civil Rights !!!!! . And You're Gonna Pay !!!!!

( DVR ) Democrats Vote Repubican , No More DNC !!!!!

May 28, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  20. KE

It will be strange May 31st the news media broadcast large group of people protesting not to count Michigan and Florida. We've been watching upside down world for many months now. See how the media will play this one.

May 28, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  21. vinny

I'd like to see a clip of Hillary saying that Mi and Fl did not matter. Does anyone have any footage?

May 28, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  22. Sherrie

Oh my goodness! You mean to tell me the woman isn't even showing her desperation yet... just frustrations??? I think we've heard and seen plenty enough; regardless of which "ation" she feels now!

May 28, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |

Obama 46, McCain 40

Iowa:
    Obama 47, McCain 40

Colorado:
    Obama 48, McCain 42

Virginia:
    Obama 43, McCain 44 (compare to Clinton 39, McCain 50)

(Average of latest polls by Real Clear Politics)

Yes he's currently behind in Florida, but he doesn't need to win Florida to win the election. Can we please put away the baseless nonsense about how "Obama can't win against McCain in November, but Clinton can"? Obama will obliterate McCain if Clinton will just kindly leave the stage on June 4 and stop dragging him down and slowly solidifying her supporters distrust of him into lost Democratic votes.

May 28, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  24. Not Deeply Concerned in Cali

To Deeply Concerned in NH:

There is certainly one thing you can count on. California will strongly support Mr. Obama.

California is not a RED State. I live here and know this for a fact.

Also for you to say "...He has ZERO chance of carrying Ohio, Pennsylvania, California, New York, Michigan, Ohio and Florida..." is flat out wrong and base-less. He may not carry them all, but certainly he will carry some.

May 28, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |