May 29th, 2008

Rendell: 'Very unlikely' Clinton will win

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/28/art.rendell.gi.jpg caption="Rendell is a powerful Clinton surrogate."]

(CNN) - Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell – who has been one of New York Sen. Hillary Clinton’s biggest backers – said Wednesday that she would make a “far better candidate” than frontrunner Barack Obama in major swing states, but is “very unlikely” she will be the Democratic nominee this fall.

"I'm a realist, and I think most likely the superdelegates will give Sen. Obama the votes he needs," Rendell told Bloomberg Television Wednesday. "I don't think the DNC is going to fairly adjust what happened in Florida… So I think it's very unlikely that Senator Clinton can prevail. I think that means we're not going to field our strongest candidate."

Rendell again called for an Obama-Clinton ticket – assuming both candidates were in favor of the idea. The former Democratic National Committee chairman also laughed that he would make a great vice presidential pick for Obama: "I wear a flag pin, so [it would] be a balanced ticket," he joked.

1. concerned

This man is such a hypocrite – I guess his prediction that HRC will win the nomination if she wins Ohio and Pennsylvania did not pan out as planned. If memory serve me correctly, Rendell was the one who stated "PA is not ready to vote for a black man" and here we are at a crossroad instead of remaining on the sideline and let this play out – now he wants Sen Obama to choose HRC as VP. If I was Sen. Obama I would rememner every slight made by these Hillary supporters. I would definitely hold a grudge, but Sen. Obama is not that type and will probably move beyond this. But inside I'm laughing really hard thinking how stupid Rendell must feel right now that Hillary was not victorious as he predicted. Once again, Big Brown BEAT poor Belle.

May 28, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  2. Dori in AZ

Rendell can continue to wear his flag pin where it may "impress" people.

In my family & millions like it, we've given our blood, sweat, tears, & money for our country, and worked diligently to make it a safer & better place for all to live. We've still got a long way to go & a lot of hard times ahead.... Patriotism is a plus. Flag pins are optional.

May 28, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  3. vic nashville,Tn

We know DNC don’t want to give the nomination to Hillary
    So we won’t vote for Barak Hussein Obama
    Hillary 08 or Mc Cain 08

May 28, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  4. D.k

as a governor you should have known this long time ago. not after you guys damaged the party. Florida and Michigan is Clinton campaign set up just for the rainy day. for you sir, your loyalty should be for your country. nor personal interest.

May 28, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  5. Obama Supporter

If they give it to her over what Obama has accomplished, There will be a war and Barack will be encouraged to run Indipendent.

God Bless America! We need to take her back!

May 28, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  6. Devin Blanks

Finally, there has been a not so subtle lightening bolt of reality surging through Clinton's backers and campaign supporters. No matter what happens HILLARY WILL LOSE!

May 28, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  7. Linda

I think it speaks to the general bullheaded stupidity of the Democratic party that it will put forth the weaker candidate (see all polls) against John McCain. Isn't the point to win in the fall? Gallup did an analysis today showing Clinton with 300 electoral votes in the general to Obama's 224. Everyone will be crying in the fall, but they just have to look back to the end of May to see the handwriting on the wall.

May 28, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  8. OMG!

NO WAY, NO HOW, IF BY SOME CHANCE FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN PLAYS IT'S ONLY FAIR TO REVOTE, REVOTE, REVOTE SO THAT THOSE WHO DIDN'T HAVE A CHOICE GET TO BE HEARD. MICHIGAN YOU ONLY HAD ONE CHOICE..REVOTE, REVOTE THIS IS THE ONLY FAIR SOLUTION.

May 28, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  9. Raz

Thank God, it took him soooooo long, I will never Vote for Hillary after all these comments of Bill C. , Clintons And some Republicans are trying do destroy the party.

OB1 For Change
    Raz

May 28, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  10. Maxine

What kind of twit is this guy? "I wear a flag pin so we will be balanced". Where is Hillary's flag pin. I am so sick of this good old boys politics. The man is a jerk and we deserve better from both. He reminds me of a crooked cop we use to have......he didn't like African Americans either.

May 28, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  11. DFoster Georgia

Clinton would make a poor V.P. pick. She would try to have Obama killed. She would do anything to gain power! If she were to become the nominee I would stay home.

May 28, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  12. Haughton-James

I am surprised that there is so much resentment for the Clintons in the DNC. I am also a little surprised at how unfair the Liberal media have been. I find myself gravitating to Fox. I am of mixed race myself but Obama is looking more & more like the Affirmative Action Candidate.

May 28, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  13. Desmond Sequeira

UNDILUTED RUBBISH, GOV. I am sure that your pressure tactics, on behalf of Clinton, are not going to impress the delegates or the DNC.
    50/50 is how Florida and Michigan should be shared.

Clinton has already shown by her spirit that she will destroy the Democratic Party rather than not be the nominee. McCain has a huge slate marked "LACK OF INTEGRITY" to throw at her, and rightly so – not speak of so many other things, like poor judgment and poor management of finances and just plain mean, lousy spirit.

May 28, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  14. Fred up north

OH NO !!! CLINTON FOR VP ?

May 28, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  15. Ron

What will happen with the campagin promise to deliver PA.?

May 28, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  16. Eric

This guy really doesn't like Obama.

May 28, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  17. Vig

Destiny will decide who wins. The same way America was destined to endure 8 years of a corrupt Presidency and endless war.

May 28, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  18. Jodie, Idaho

What a jerk!! I wouldn't pick him for my VP. Who are these people? We do not have a royal government in this country. I am so sick of people like this who think they deserve a place in government. This is what is wrong with this country. We think somehow we are entitled. WE ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANYTHING!! WE ARE BLESSED BY GOD!! If we are not careful, our blessings will be taken away. We are taking away our foundation, and our nation is crumbling. We need to re-establish moral integrity in this country.

May 28, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  19. kenny cole

BUT RENDELL WHY DOES IT TAKE YOU A LONG TIME TO SAY THE TRUE

May 28, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  20. Nupe12

Well, there goes that idea of a VP.

May 28, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  21. nitro

Exactly what does Ed Rendell consider fair. First you vote that they not be seated and when you need their delegates you want them to be seated. After looking at the movie Recount I say to h@@l with Florida.

May 28, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  22. kel

He right to a certain point ,because Hillary midest well have get this out of her head that she is going to win the democractic nomminee. And by her trying to get all these pledgedes from florida and michgan now but its to late . Obama is considered the Democratic Nommine .
    Obama is the lead of everything and Hillary Clinton and her party need to go back to school to work on the math like the basics .

Obama for president 2008

May 28, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  23. marek

SHE IS DONE FINISH SHE IS SORE LOSER

May 28, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  24. Dave in RI

Ahem... gamers... back me up on this...

"Cry more noob!"

May 28, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  25. sacto joe

Clinton is a manipulative lawyer/politician who has crossed the boundaries of civility time and time again.

At one point I would have agreed that she should be considered for VP, but no longer. She has gone to far.

That is truly unfortunate for the women's rights movement. But in the long run, it serves them to repudiate these kinds of tactics.

May 28, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |