May 29th, 2008

Rendell: 'Very unlikely' Clinton will win

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/28/art.rendell.gi.jpg caption="Rendell is a powerful Clinton surrogate."]

(CNN) - Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell – who has been one of New York Sen. Hillary Clinton’s biggest backers – said Wednesday that she would make a “far better candidate” than frontrunner Barack Obama in major swing states, but is “very unlikely” she will be the Democratic nominee this fall.

"I'm a realist, and I think most likely the superdelegates will give Sen. Obama the votes he needs," Rendell told Bloomberg Television Wednesday. "I don't think the DNC is going to fairly adjust what happened in Florida… So I think it's very unlikely that Senator Clinton can prevail. I think that means we're not going to field our strongest candidate."

Rendell again called for an Obama-Clinton ticket – assuming both candidates were in favor of the idea. The former Democratic National Committee chairman also laughed that he would make a great vice presidential pick for Obama: "I wear a flag pin, so [it would] be a balanced ticket," he joked.

1. prussll

Is Ed an undercover republican, or just sour grapes?

May 28, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  2. frank

I think Hillary Clinton will win the nomination cosidering the facts that Florida and Mischigan will be seated this saturday and she will get the majority of the pledge delegates and the superdelegates will give Senator Clinton the final Boost and she will be the party nominee . Audios Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 28, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  3. Greg

I have to say, I appreciate Rendell's sense of humor.

However, I have to say that seating Florida and Michigan delegates, while necessary, while hardly be considered fair from either side.

Isn't it ironic that two states that moved their primaries up to increase their relative importance in the election, now find themselves 5 months later doing just that? I don't believe the Rules Committee will change the outcome of this race with the ruling.

May 28, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  4. Obamacanandwill

sorry Mr. Rendell but the answer is HELL NO! Hillary has destroyed herself and we don't want her destroyng Obama. Her camp along wih you and husband Bill are all nasty and will try anything anyway for power.................... sorry not this time.

P from Florida

May 28, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  5. Dirt

As a 'player' in Clinton's campaign finance fraud of 2000 Rendell should keep himself OUT of the spotlight!

May 28, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  6. Michigan Voter !!!

DNC , I Voted In The Michigan Democratic Primary Jan. 15th 2008 , My Vote , And The Votes Of Michigan Primary Voters , Better Be Counted As Certified . Or This Democrat Will Teach The DNC A " LESSON " Starting This Fall , And All Elections For The Next 4 Years . I'm Gonna Vote Straight Republican !!!!! . The Democratic Party Has To Be Destroyed !!!!! You Have Violated Our Civil Rights !!!!! . And You're Gonna Pay !!!!!

Democrats Vote Repubican , No More DNC !!!!!

May 28, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  7. Pedeen

I careless whether you print my idea or not! after all you are the Clintons mouth piece!!

May 28, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  8. DeVone

let us all agree that we the people of America wants and need
    real change the popular vote says Obama and with that he
    pick his VP Clintons had 8 years lets move foward not
    backwards stop asking Senator O bama to be a
    YES MAN AN "A" man

May 28, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  9. Molly

Keep Fighting Hillary
    Obama is Not qualified and will never be elected due to his WEAK, Radical quesstionable background.

Hillary is our only hope to WIN – she is electable – and can win ALL the states needed to get to the white house.
    Obama cannot seem to connect with the core people of the Dem party – he did not even try in WV, PA or KY – he needs to.

May 28, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  10. I don't even have a flag pin!

Can someone please tell me where to buy a flag pin? For some reason, it's become such a big deal lately.

May 28, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  11. Seth

"I don't think the DNC is going to fairly adjust what happened in Florida"

What spin! Clinton signed a pledge promising that she wouldn't campaign, nor would she "participate" in the elections in those states.

Now that she is losing, she wants to go back on that pledge. She is being completely two-faced about this. Does she not know that we see right through it?

Today she says she has the popular vote, so the superdelegates should vote along those lines. but tomorrow, if she doesn't have the popular vote she will say they should vote for her because she "is more likely to win" the general.

Which is it Hill? Disenfranchise or not?

May 28, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  12. Neal Klomp

Um isn't the definition of the strongest candidate the one who is most wins the nomination.
    How in the heck is the loser of the nomination process somehow a stronger candidate than the winner?

Politicians are mostly idiots who believe their own BS.

May 28, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  13. Sheldon Manaster

I think that Hillary Clinton would be a better President than McCain.
    Obama may be a nice person, but he is not presidential material.
    The Democratic Party needs a serious makeover. Allowing Bush to be elected will go down as one of the biggest blunders in U.S. history.
    I don't think Obama has a clue as to what to do with Social Security, how to get out of Iraq, what to do re: natutal resources, how to stimulate the economy. Hillary is smart and I think foreign governments would respond favorably to her; McCain is a question mark.

May 28, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  14. Anonymous

If only all of the Clinton supporters were as realistic as this man. I'm not asking them to like Obama more, I'm just asking for them to support a man that, while young, is so much more like Hillary than McCain is.

Anyone who says "if Hillary is not nominated then I'll vote McCain over Obama" is like someone who wants a hamburger, is told that the restaurant has only hot dogs, and shoots himself instead of ordering a hot dog.

May 28, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  15. bob in LA

Why is this news? I'm a Clinton supporter and don't need a politian to tell me her nomination is "unlikely"
    At least the call for her to dropout early stopped and the DNC is looking at a wy to count the votes in florida and Michigan in some way.
    Her staying in is worth it just for the people of those two states.
    Obama and the DNC didn't care if they had a voice.

May 28, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  16. G.R.

Finally, someone close is admitting the obvious.

May 28, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  17. Prof. from El Paso

It is extremely sad that Democratic party would not nominate their strongest canditate for president. Party officials and media like CNN favored Obama from day one of this primary and pushed him hard for the nomination. The whole process was extremely unfair to Clinton. Now party leaders don't have any choice but to nominate a weaker camnditate, even though they know they are making wrong choice.

May 28, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  18. TheLeftNut

McClellan 2008!

May 28, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  19. selky

Yea Yea What will happen to those who were very loyal and work hard for Senator Obama? You and the Governor of Ohio did nothing when negative ads and lies aired in PA and OH by Hillary Clinton's camp about Senator Obama, and you did nothing to stop it. Senator Obama should pick those who were very loyal to him and work hard for him to be nominated.

May 28, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  20. GUY

"Fairly adjust"?!?! Huh? They broke the rules. It's been said, OVER AND OVER, that Clinton had no problem with the consequences when it happened but NOW she wants them to count. WHY?! Because she's LOSING! She doesn't care about the voters – she doesn't care about the rules – she just wants the darn votes.

It's ridiculous that her supporters believe that she is honest, sincere and right for the role of President. She's a liar. She's a manipulator. Check the facts folks!

May 28, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  21. Brian

Thank you will you please tell her to bow out gracefully?

May 28, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  22. NEVERNEVEROBAMA

DONT LOOSE HOPE – YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT WILL COME OUT OF OBAMA'S CLOSET.

HILLARY TAKE IT TO THE CONVENTION!

May 28, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  23. T.L.

Are you saying that if the result is not favor to Clinton, it's not fair?
    I want to remind you that they both started out with the same set of DNC rules.

May 28, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  24. Tony in Chicago

Duh....

May 28, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  25. Michigan Voter !!!

Michgan Democrats Vote Repubican , No More DNC !!!!!

May 28, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |