May 29th, 2008

Rendell: 'Very unlikely' Clinton will win

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/28/art.rendell.gi.jpg caption="Rendell is a powerful Clinton surrogate."]

(CNN) - Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell – who has been one of New York Sen. Hillary Clinton’s biggest backers – said Wednesday that she would make a “far better candidate” than frontrunner Barack Obama in major swing states, but is “very unlikely” she will be the Democratic nominee this fall.

"I'm a realist, and I think most likely the superdelegates will give Sen. Obama the votes he needs," Rendell told Bloomberg Television Wednesday. "I don't think the DNC is going to fairly adjust what happened in Florida… So I think it's very unlikely that Senator Clinton can prevail. I think that means we're not going to field our strongest candidate."

Rendell again called for an Obama-Clinton ticket – assuming both candidates were in favor of the idea. The former Democratic National Committee chairman also laughed that he would make a great vice presidential pick for Obama: "I wear a flag pin, so [it would] be a balanced ticket," he joked.

1. aliou FL

Gov. Rendell, You are joking I think when you say she will be a better candidate.

Repukes will turn the campaign into a circus because of her lies and flipflops

May 28, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  2. Agnostic Democrat

DU'H!

May 28, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  3. Democrat unite

Rendell, Can you talk some sense into Hillary?

Think about it...
    If you have two children that were given the same rule and one deliberately breaks the rule do you reward them the same? NO.
    You reward the child that obeyed and let the other learn a lesson. This is a true life experience, they will not disobey you again.

Michigan and Florida your voice has been heard but now you must pay for being disobedient. There were rules, you chose to break them, Hillary and everyone else agreed...outcome remains the same!

May 28, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  4. Deb

Hillary is Unelectable.

I know of NO woman who would vote for her in November.
    I'm all for a woman president but, just NOT Hillary !

May 28, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  5. Governor's Comment

What a moronic comment.... "I guess we're not going to field our best candidate." The process is designed to produce a winner who can win. Show a little enthusiasm for your presumptive nominee and the party. I don't care if some bull-dyke with a dog collar was the nominee. HE'S THE CHOICE, rally behind him.

May 28, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  6. aliou FL

Are you kidding me or yourself gov.?

She unelectable. and if the NY voters knew her as well as they do now, they wouldn't have voted her as their senator.

Still she will not be there for long if she continues to be a nuisance instead of helping the party.

May 28, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  7. undecided

All I ask is that those who speak on this issue brilng some reality to the situation. Blindly pointing out that Senator Clinton is still "very much" in it, just hurts credibility. So thank you.

May 28, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  8. Remember Harry Truman?

Remember Harry Truman? In the 1948 Dem primaries, he was considered the "loser" all the way up to the convention. Nevertheless, he worked his behind off, crossed the country twice by train, talked to the voters about real issues at every whistlestop. His opponent, Dewey, sort of "brushed" him off while delivering "canned" speeches with the big bucks supplied by his supporters. Guess what! Harry woke up the morning after the election THE WINNER! The voters really are NOT stupid, after all. GO ALL THE WAY, HILLARY!

May 28, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  9. Mike in PA

Rendell finally is coming to his senses.

May 28, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  10. William, Ca.

I wouldn't believe anything, this "Clinton lover" has to say......Really!!!

May 28, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  11. Rob

Rendell is welcome to his opinion, I'll base mine upon Hillarys actions and how she has managed and directed her campaign and budgets.

May 28, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  12. CJV

Rendell, you and many Supers have not come out for Obama because the Clintons helped you get to where you are today back in the 90's. You feel you owe it to HRC to support her. Fair enough. But, as you rightly stated, Obama will be the nominee. So why continue to unfairly tear him down by insinuating he is a weak candidate.? Wear your flag pin, vote republican if you're going to be a jerk, and stop propogated the myth that only hillary can beat McCain when she can't even beat a 1st-term Senator from Illinois.

May 28, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  13. Venus

No Rendell! There will be no Obama/Clinton ticket!

Ha,ha,ha,ha! Yeah – Hillary won your state with your help – but guess what? Obama is going to be your president!

Go Bam! Also – with Obama's new map for the general election – PA and not be on the map! Now – smoke on that!

May 28, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  14. Abrha

We want this Nation to lead the world with everythings but not lies.We want change to rebuild our military and economic.Obama take my vote.

May 28, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  15. Thompson

I don't agree...but I will concede that she is the strongest candidate. Apparently, she is not the smartest candidate. She let a wet behind the ears runner out smart her and take away her dreams. Poor baby, now she wants to cry...

*************************
    Mr. Rendell I can show you where to put that flag pin...
    *************************

May 28, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  16. Truth

Neither Hillary or Ed will be a good VP for Obama.

May 28, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  17. Izabela, Ridgefield,CT

Only Hillary will get my vote.

May 28, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  18. Proud American

We've been aware of that for months.

May 28, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  19. Blue California

Uh oh Ed.. Here come the Clinton supporters..

"Judas!!!!!"

May 28, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  20. karen

Thank goodness someone with the Hillary camp has seen the light!!! I am sooooo sick of this and in the beginning I didn't think Hillary was so bad. Have I changed my mind!!! She is just more of the same old, same old in Washington. I want new, young, no ties to Washington insiders or lobbiests--Change, change, and more change. Out of Iraq, more jobs in the USA, health care, education!!!! Go Obama!!!

May 28, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  21. Dex Dean

Gov. Ed Rendell get off the pin and stick to the issues. Some of this sfuff is worse the kindergarden playground stuff. Sad state of afffairs for politics, No wonder why GOOD business people do not wish to get involved. You could not run a business acting like this!

May 28, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  22. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Too bad Rendell your hopes and dreams of becoming Hillary's V.P. has vanished now you want a job on the winning ticket. No way Jose, Obama has better choices than you. Run your own presidential candidacy and make Hillary your running mate.

May 28, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  23. Biographer

Someone has released a copy of Hillary Clinton's bedtime prayer. Here it is:

"Now I lay me down to sleep;
    I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
    Keep me safe through all the drama –
    Just let someone shoot Obama."

May 28, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  24. Nevada

Your right... they won't fairly adjust what happened in Florida. If they were to do it fairly, she wouldn't get anything. Remember, she voted to NOT count their votes... just like Obama. So no more of that talk... she whined and cried and got her way... enough of that. This five year old needs to be put to bed.

May 28, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  25. SLO Bear

Why be a sore loser? Obama won fair and square.

May 28, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |