May 29th, 2008

Rendell: 'Very unlikely' Clinton will win

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/28/art.rendell.gi.jpg caption="Rendell is a powerful Clinton surrogate."]

(CNN) - Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell – who has been one of New York Sen. Hillary Clinton’s biggest backers – said Wednesday that she would make a “far better candidate” than frontrunner Barack Obama in major swing states, but is “very unlikely” she will be the Democratic nominee this fall.

"I'm a realist, and I think most likely the superdelegates will give Sen. Obama the votes he needs," Rendell told Bloomberg Television Wednesday. "I don't think the DNC is going to fairly adjust what happened in Florida… So I think it's very unlikely that Senator Clinton can prevail. I think that means we're not going to field our strongest candidate."

Rendell again called for an Obama-Clinton ticket – assuming both candidates were in favor of the idea. The former Democratic National Committee chairman also laughed that he would make a great vice presidential pick for Obama: "I wear a flag pin, so [it would] be a balanced ticket," he joked.

1. PhilT

"I wear a flag pin, so [it would] be a balanced ticket," he joked.

Nice joke, Ed. I think you should stick to your day job, since you won't be joining Hillary as her running mate. That would have been a balanced ticket as well. Perhaps James Carville (where has he been lately?) could talk Senator Clinton into giving you some of the testicular fortitude you could use. Oh by the way, she doesn't wear a flag pin either.

Phil

May 28, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  2. John, LA, CA

wow – good ole rendell... thanks for the party unity, hears hoping you wont have even a toilet to clean in Obama's white house

May 28, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  3. Carolyn T. NJ

Gov. Rendell

NO! NO! NO! to your suggestion....

May 28, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  4. Charlotte

I find it hard to believe the people who want her to give up before the end of this process, Kennedy was in the fray until August against Jimmy Carter? I understand her determination to complete her committment to the American people who have yet to be heard. I will write her name on my ballot in November. Obama is too liberal for the majority of Americans. He has lied about many things. Politicians are all liars. You just have to decided which lies you find least offensive. I can not get past Rev. Wright and that church, I can not get past the dirty dealings in his run for the Senate. In his book he says he knows what side of himself to show the white people. I have a gut feeling he is not being truthful and is in disguise. He is not what he appears to be

May 28, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  5. Anne from Canada

I'm also realistic and I don't think The DNC will do the right thing for the the party and the country. I had such high hopes that superdelegates would do their job and do the right thing.

The world is in real trouble still and I'm not sure 12 consecutive years of outgageously bad goverment can be survived. In the mean time China and other rog countries are gaining more and more power, including Russia.

USA, a third world country by 2016

SAD .:(((

May 28, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  6. Good For The Gander

Very unlikely? That's an understatement. All the Clinton supporters have shown us by their constant yammerings to defect, if we don't like the nominee, we can vote for Satan himself. Since they see McCain as such a great alternative, I have no doubt they won't mind us all voting for McCain if Hillary steals this.

May 28, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  7. Don

Ed Rendell would be a good VP choise for Barack Obama. He could watch Obama's back like Cheny does for Bush.

May 28, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  8. Annette

Obama ran a strong campaign and organized with precision. The swing states will speak for itself, Obama is gaining some momentum wtih these swing states as he progress further into the general election mode. Understand, Hillary would also have some difficulty with some of the obvious states that do not "traditionally" vote democratic. But here we have a young statesman from Illinois that defied the tradition and successfully gain the lead and yes the flag pin wears well.

May 28, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  9. Keith

I must say that I too am a realist ! I can not believe that so many people are letting themselves be blinded by gender or race as to who they should vote for and who should truly be the nominee. I have followed this candidate race probably closer than any I have in the 32 years since I was allowed to vote. I have "Listened Carefully" to both candidates and I keep hearing Sen. Clinton make statements and stories that are just not true or skewed the way she feels best suits the moment. She never really apologizes or admits she made a mistake. She just tries to make it look like there was some other reason that is not her fault that these things happen.
    Even former President Clinton is now yelling "Coverup". Is he really refering to his own time in office. Remember he looked right into the camera facing our entire country and lied with a straight face!!
    On the other hand Sen. Obama has stuck to the truth, has admitted when he was wrong and I believe is truly concerned about us as American Citizens "as a whole". We need a president that will inspire and excite this country again. I see and hear that in him. It's not always about experience or lack of that we keep hearing about . We could have a President with an over abundace of experience but if he/she can not motivate people to really do something, nothing changes.
    So the Clintons need to remember when you keep pointing your finger at someone else that you say has done you wrong, You are pointing three back at yourself. Do what's right for your country, not what's just right for what ever outcome you personally want.

May 28, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  10. silas

Dear Mr Rendell

Nice comment. I'll like people like you and every other DNC personel to unify the party.

May 28, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  11. LUCYNA

LOOK HILLARY, EVEN YOUR STRONG SUPER SAYS YOU DON'T HAVE A CHANCE. SO DROP IT! GET A PILL, SEE THE SHRINK, JUST GET OUT AND NEVER COME. YOU ARE LIKE A DEADLY CANCER TO THIS ELECTION.

May 28, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  12. sharong58

Rendell is as arrogant and "out of touch" as Hillary Clinton! Barack Obama has much more integrity, honesty, levelheadedness, good judgement, foresight and brains in his little pinky than those two "has beens" have in their whole body! Neither is an acceptable running mate for this great man.
    And I hate that she has been playing the "experience" card thru her whole campaign. She doesn't have more experience than Barack.
    All totalled, he has been in politics longer. He was an Illinois senator for 7 years and has been a U.S. senator 3 years. Clinton has been a U.S. senator 8 years period. I guess she doesn't know how to add.
    What she has more of from her years in the white house is bull and "clout"! She knows more politicians on a personal basis than he does. . . . and a lot of them have abandon her recently haven't they?

May 28, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  13. Amy in Woodstock, NY

Ed is as bad as they come. Hillary lost because of her sense of entitlement and surrounding herself with bad players.

May 28, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  14. LT for Obama

Wow. Is Rendell part of the "they" that Bill was talking about the other day?

May 28, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  15. John Smith

In all my years of watching the Democrats destroy themselves, this time, I have seen the "worst" ever!

Every rule has been changed: Let me list a few of these–
    1. scrap the "delegate" counts (Kerry and Gore were dumb!!!)
    2. scrap the "super-delegate" counts (Edwards is dumb to have dropped)
    3. scrap the "winner" of the democratic race, regardless (kick Obama out)
    4. crown the "queen" with all her baggage along with her (Hillary)!
    5. change the rules, even the general election to crown the queen (Count FL and MI)

Who is Hillary running against at this time? Hillary or McCain is not looking at Hillary as a nominee. Let us "respect" her because she is a "fighter." This nation always crowns "dirty" fighters– just look at Bush

May 28, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  16. Shrimp Barnicles

The end of the Clinton Empire is near. The new Empire– the Obama Empire will rise in 2009 and end 2017.

May 28, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  17. William

Very unlikely: Clinton will ever get a clue.

May 28, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  18. e.j. mohammed

I think if the shoe were on the other foot and Hillary was the front runner she would not bet insisting upon the Florida and Michigan votes or trying to change DNC rules toward the very last possible moment of this primary. It would be disgraceful and very undignified if she were to pull off winning the nomination this way. She continues to be so discourteous to senator Obama while he has been more than gracious.Maybe it's her way of doing politics but she sure opened my eyes to what a divisive politician is she is just as transparent as Bush! Speaking as someone who really admired her at one time for many years that is gone now! I hope like millions of us do for that needed change in the White House! This is one blue collar middle aged white woman who is not on the Hillary bus anymore!
    PEACE!!
    E.J. Mohammed Tacoma

May 28, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  19. Gaylon Barrow

Not with the likes of DEAN, PELOSI, KENNEDY, RICHARDSON, KERRYS ANE OTHERS AT THE HELM OF THE DNC WILL THEY FAIRLY ADJUST THE FL. &MIi. dELEGATES. You are probably right. What HILLARY needs to do is to quit this stinking party and join one that is not corrupt like running on an Independent ticket. KENNEDY is gone but justice has not prevailed in this GREAT STATESMAN, HA, HA. KOPECKNE can't rest in her grave until he is where she can look him eye to eye. Where will the coward run then.

May 28, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  20. No McSame

Its your war McSame so you go and stay there until you finish it.
    PLEASE DON'T GO OBAMA REMEMBER, Ron Brown. DON'T TRUST THEM AT ALL. We need you right here. When you get into the White House bring the kids home to see you. I think that they would like that much better. DONT TRUST THEM AT ALL. Let McSame bring his bottom over there. WARMONGER McSameAs Bush
    NAVY Vet. for Obama
    Mr. Obama don't trust Clinton or McSame
    Don't let them do you like I think they did Ron Brown
    Serve us here at home. Bring the boys and girls HOME.
    Remember RON BROWN

May 28, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  21. Ernesto Lopez

"Rendell: 'Very unlikely' Clinton will win"

Oh really?, how you reckon that?, non Hillary Clinton Magic Math?

May 28, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  22. John, NC

Yes, yes, very unlikely.

May 28, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  23. Craig from CT

Mr Randell will never make a good vice-pres; or president for that matter. So what he wears a flag pin. Mrs. Clinton does not wear one. Some KKK member I'm told wear them. Stop confusing the issue. No Obama- Clinton ticket. Find another woman, or man that can help our party. Clintons are about the Clintons. We are heading for war in our party if the person in the number two spot can hold us hostage. I am no one prisoner!!!!

May 28, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  24. jimmy

Rendell is right and he's a very good man.

Too bad the Media and the Good Old Boys at the DNC and the establishment decided to go against their better candidate.

Clinton supporters UNITE –
    McCain '08 for Clinton '12
    Obama – NEVER!!!

May 28, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  25. Stacy Clarks, TX

OBVIOUSLY!!!!

DEMOCRATS UNITE IN 08!!!!!

May 28, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |