May 29th, 2008

Rendell: 'Very unlikely' Clinton will win

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/28/art.rendell.gi.jpg caption="Rendell is a powerful Clinton surrogate."]

(CNN) - Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell – who has been one of New York Sen. Hillary Clinton’s biggest backers – said Wednesday that she would make a “far better candidate” than frontrunner Barack Obama in major swing states, but is “very unlikely” she will be the Democratic nominee this fall.

"I'm a realist, and I think most likely the superdelegates will give Sen. Obama the votes he needs," Rendell told Bloomberg Television Wednesday. "I don't think the DNC is going to fairly adjust what happened in Florida… So I think it's very unlikely that Senator Clinton can prevail. I think that means we're not going to field our strongest candidate."

Rendell again called for an Obama-Clinton ticket – assuming both candidates were in favor of the idea. The former Democratic National Committee chairman also laughed that he would make a great vice presidential pick for Obama: "I wear a flag pin, so [it would] be a balanced ticket," he joked.

1. Really?

Wow! I am amazed at these people. How do you explain that the person who is losing is the stronger candidate? Her attitude about losing alone is proof positive of her weakness in character, as well as lacking mental and spiritual strength. Obama is the stronger candidate and I thank God I figured that out before it was too late I was sitting with the others looking foolish and defending Hillary beyond all reasonable arguments.

This is just gone from silly to sad. If Obama loses in '08, she can bet she will lose in 2012. The Clintons are finished and their legacy is destroyed. Bill may want to start looking at new office space, because I doubt Harlem is still cool with him being there.

May 28, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  2. Hillary, Liar on day 1

Randell should be more concerned about his seat. I hear it's up for grabs

May 28, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  3. GG

Obama-Clinton or half the Democratic electorate is lost and he loses.

May 28, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  4. Ann

I think the minute the superdelegates GIVE Obama the votes he needs, is when I vote Republican for the first time. He will never win against McCain and so many Obama supporters are gonna wish they had gone with Hillary, at least to get a democrat in the White House.

May 28, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  5. donna

Unreal, a 'realist' in the Clinton camp! Go Rendell! Bye Bye Hillbilly

May 28, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  6. Oregon for Obama.

She looks like she is scared aand begging for him to make it right. What a scary woman. Get rid of her and take him with her.

May 28, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  7. Doug

Interesting!!

Rendel is correct that Obama will be the next president. I remember Rendell being negative to Obama earlier... Is Rendell is playing nice because he wants a position on Obama's staff? I do not know much about him, but if he is a good man, he will help campaign for Obama against McCain... Welcome aboard!

May 28, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  8. A Girl from SC

Rendell is a "Clinton" supporter.
    He is trying to heal the party regardless.

The only one I see fighting against the people and against the party is Senator Obama.

Rendell said that Hillary is strongest. Why aren't the Democrats hearing this.
    Obama can not win this general elections without these groups:
    White men
    White women
    Latinos
    Jewish voters
    Cubans
    Swing State Voters
    Rust Belt Voters

He lost Pa, NY, NJ, California, Florida, Michigan, West Virginia, Kentucky, Texas, Indiana and Ohio.

Are the Democrats not getting this?
    African Americans and elitists won't be a winning ticket.

May 28, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  9. HILLARY HAS THE POPULAR VOTE!!!!!!

HILLARY IS GETTING A ROYAL SCREW JOB!!!

THE MEDIA AND THE REPUBLICANS WORKED HARD TO GET OBAMA TO THE NOMINATION!

WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IS?

BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT THEY CAN BEAT OBAMA EASILY!!!!!

THEY DO NOT EVEN HAVE TO MAKE THINGS UP,OBAMA HAS ENOUGH SCANDAL FOR TWO CANDIDATES!

I LOOK FORWARD TO WATCHING OBAMA FALL!

SOUND HATEFUL?

I CANNOT STAND FAKES, OBAMA IS A FRAUD, A WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING!!!! WITHOUT A SHRED OF EXPERIENCE TO BRING TO THE WHITE HOUSE!!

WHAT A SHAME THAT WE WILL LOSE THE BEST CANDIDATE TO SOMEONE WHO WILL LOSE ANYWAY!!

I WILL SUPPORT HILLARY TO THE END!!!!! GO HILLARY!!!!!!

May 28, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  10. Lino

I just cannot believe that people are giving in to the bullying of the Clintons. Get real people, they agreed to the rules which they are now trying to change as it does not benefit them anymore. It is beyond imaginable. It is the steroids scandal equivalent. Cheat is not an anomaly, it is the way of life right now. Win no matter what.

If people could just realize that the Clinton campaign is only thinking on themselves (selfishness) by doing this, it means they will not going to think about you when making decisions. We have to reestablish the principles that made this country great in the first time. The only way to accomplish it is to let Obama clean this all this scum that politics are today. Not to say Obama is perfect, he is a politician as any other, but way more effective and clean than Clinton.
    But I am still afraid that the people that was manipulated by Bush TWICE can still easily be manipulated by the Clintons. I just hope people can remember that principles are good (isn't that what your religion teaches?) and come back to their senses.

Hillary, for the best of this country please go away, you have nothing positive to add. Not even as Senator, we do not need somebody like you creating laws as you cannot abide by the laws you help create, and is making HELL to change for your benefit, and not the benefit of the American People.

May 28, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  11. Vera Richardson

There is no doubt in my mind that Hillary will reject any resolution proposed by the DNC on May 31, 2008. Bill and Hillary will not only reject the resolution but also seek court intervention. Therefore, the only way to prevent the total destruction of our party is for the undeclared superdelegates to end Hillary's blind ambition for her.

Senator Obama played by the rules and won this race fair and square. He won more state elections and most importantly more pledged delegates than Hillary.

Obama needs to reach the current 2025 or 2026 number of delegates needed to secure the nomination before Bill and Hillary Clinton file their legal challenges in court and/or Hillary executes her planned nuclear option. You can't wait. Democratic Party leader and undeclared superdelegates must pledge their support for Senator Obama before May 31, 2008.

Senator Reid, Representatives Nancy Pelosi, and Shelia Jackson-Lee, Governor Edward G. Rendell, President Carter, and Al Gore PLEASE endorse Senator Obama today and unite this party. The urgency is now. Again, I say you can’t wait until May 31, 2008.

Democratic Party leaders please don't wait until May 31, 2008, or for the primaries to end on June 3, 2008, to declare that Senator Barack Obama is the Democratic Presidential nominee. The urgency is right now!!!!!!!
    Vera Richardson

May 28, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  12. Helena

No thank you. I do not want Ed Rendell or Hillary Clinton on any ticket.

May 28, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  13. pat

if you think that obama should get any votes out of mich. your mistaken his name wasen,t on the ballot an you can,t give him the uncommited votes , uncommited is not his name, the people of mich. should have written his name in if they wanted him. hillary is entitled to all the votes there. now you can split the votes from fl, although obama ran ads in fl. 2 weeks before the election, so again a rules violation so obama is not entitled to any of those votes. now DNC what are you going to do. by my view point it seem that hillary should get all the votes by law. an by your own rules.

May 28, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  14. Richard

Flag pin jibes? How can you call yourself a Democrat when you're busy spinning the wheels of the Republican propaganda machine?

May 28, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  15. hmmm...

YOU WEAR A FLAG PIN? WOW, HOW PATRIOTIC!!! HEY, YOU KNOW WHAT I WEAR? THE PAIN OF THE FAMILIES WHO LOST LOVE ONES DURING THIS WAR, RIGHT DEEP IN MY HEART, IS THAT MORE SIGNIFICANT THEN YOUR FLAG PIN..OUCH, I'M TRYING TO PUT ONE ON RIGHT NOW TO SHOW THE WORLD HOW PATRIOTIC I AM YOU IDIOT.

May 28, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  16. Mikey

I think he meant to say "I don't think the DNC is going to UNFAIRLY adjust what happened in Florida....."

Only a ridiculously unfair resolution can help Hillary now, and its not going to happen. Sing it!, "DING, DONG, THE .............................."

Based on the last paragraph, an Obama-Rendell ticket is out. Don't like the guy anyway. Oh, and I think Hillary has now pretty much disqualified herself. Good, don't like her anymore either. Used to.

May 28, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  17. Vic

I totally agree with Governor Rendell that Hillary Clinton is the best candidate to represent the Democratic Party.

May 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. Anne, Iowa

What's wrong with Hillary and her supporters! They must suffr from serious IQ problems. How can the candiate who is losing keep insisting they are the stronger canditates. What is even more appalling is that there are people who really think that makes sense! We must be a country of total morons!

May 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  19. Kenneth M

THESE ARE 3 SUP DELS WHO AGREE WITH RANDEL.
    THESE 3 ARE FOR YOU FRED2.
    fred2..since another stole my name:

5-28-08 – Added DNC Pat Waak (CO) for Obama
    – Added DNC Meredith Woods-Smith (OR) for Obama
    – Added DNC Wayne Kinney (OR) for Obama

May 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  20. CA Independent Chris

Rendell is as enbroiled in the Paul v Clinton campaign finance fraud as both Clintons, not to mention all of HRC's top advisors.

May 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  21. ABC

Ed's right. Obama's what the Democrats will do but certainly not the best they can do. Write in Hillary anyway.

May 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  22. Doug

Hey... I remember who you are! You did not play nice before!

May 28, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  23. Koruth

I do not understand the democrats. Hillary Clinton always blame on right wing media and right wing politicians for every thing. This time she can not do that because Obama is more the left than the leftist.

Theses are the people who cried to count every vote against every law in the book, in the year 2000 election. Now the same democrats saying that the votes does not matter — the party elders matter like the Afghanistan tribal elders. What a difference it makes when it comes to convenience and their own benefits.

When you look at the middle eastern history, Obama is right. No Wars changed the minds of any Arabs. They never learned any lessons from the war. We should pull out the troops from Iraq and Afghanistan. Then Obama will go and talk to them. They will listen to him because he is their half brother. That is a win-win situation: we do not loose our troops and Arabs have their harmony.

May 28, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  24. Clinton/McCain

I still have some hope for Hillary. She will likely be ahead in every measure of the popular vote after Puerto Rico. The supers will then have to decide if they are going to award the nomination to someone who's leading in pledged delegates although who could not reach the magic number needed to win the nomination, or give the nomination to the candidate who actually won the will of the people.

May 28, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  25. Bill, Florida

Exactly. They won't FAIRLY adjust what happened in Michigan and Florida. The nomination is being stolen from Hillary, which is sad because she's our strongest candidate. Her supporters see this, and that is why her supporters are more likely than Obama's to defect to McCain, or stay home in the general election. You can count on this Florida voter to stay home in November!

May 28, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |