May 29th, 2008

Rendell: 'Very unlikely' Clinton will win

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/28/art.rendell.gi.jpg caption="Rendell is a powerful Clinton surrogate."]

(CNN) - Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell – who has been one of New York Sen. Hillary Clinton’s biggest backers – said Wednesday that she would make a “far better candidate” than frontrunner Barack Obama in major swing states, but is “very unlikely” she will be the Democratic nominee this fall.

"I'm a realist, and I think most likely the superdelegates will give Sen. Obama the votes he needs," Rendell told Bloomberg Television Wednesday. "I don't think the DNC is going to fairly adjust what happened in Florida… So I think it's very unlikely that Senator Clinton can prevail. I think that means we're not going to field our strongest candidate."

Rendell again called for an Obama-Clinton ticket – assuming both candidates were in favor of the idea. The former Democratic National Committee chairman also laughed that he would make a great vice presidential pick for Obama: "I wear a flag pin, so [it would] be a balanced ticket," he joked.

1. June in Canada

Patriotism in my mind has nothing to do with flags, flag pins and which church you attend or do not attend. Patriotism to me is loving your country despite it;'s faults, but not being blind to those faults. Patriotism is truly believing "what I wish for myself I wish for others." Patriotism is voting with your heart and mind and not your hatred and fears. I do not own a Canadian flag or wear a Canada pin but I love my country despite its inperfections as I'm sure Americans do theirs.

May 28, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  2. GERALD STROTHER

GO OBAMA 008

May 28, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  3. Karen

Is she was the strongest candidate, why on earth did she not have the management skill and strategic insight to run the best campaign?

What a joke. Rendell's swipe about the flag pin is pathetic.

May 28, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  4. Mary

If you're such a realist, you would say they will give him the votes he deserves. If the DNC is to be fair they will leave everything the way it is. If she had said the things about you that she said about Senator Obama would you want a Rendell-Clinton ticket?

May 28, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  5. M Brown

what does wearing a flag pin say about your loyality to AMERICA? Not a thing its how you act . People against AMERICA will wear a flag pin to accomplish what they want.

May 28, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  6. Dealt

Bad jokeabout the flag pin. Anyone who measures patriotism by a flag pin is also a bad joke. But then Rendell admits his own bad judgement. Apparently he placed plenty of his money on the wrong horse... sorry... mare.

May 28, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  7. albert griffith

good for once 1 of her own surrogates see the writing on the wall,much respect to all the smart people and humanitarians like jimmy carter,robert byrd,warren buffett,chuck hagel,ted kennedy,john edwards,ron paul,kathleen sebelius, who r supporting barack as well as michael bloomberg,george soros,david geffen yes we can!!!!

May 28, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  8. Colette - LA

If the democratic nominee does not win the presidency, we can all thank Ms. Clinton for the good job she has done in dividing the country. No Mr. Rendell, she is not the strongest candidate in my eyes and the eyes of millions.

May 28, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  9. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Yeah, right. Watch Campbell Brown and Wolf Blitzer – it's in their eyes.

The GREAT Clinton Machine is going to steal this one. Mark my word. Dirty politics at it's dirtiest in four or eight years.

May 28, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  10. Hameeda

Rendell, Dream on there will be no such a thing as Clinton and Obama ticket. She burned all of her bridges. She only has few racist states behind her and your state is one them. Teach you Blue Collar White Uneducated Americans that Race should not be a factor in choosing the right president.
    Colorado

May 28, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  11. David

Sen. Clinton's desperation–and want to employ any means to achieve her self interests–is epic and seemingly limitless. Her minions speaking publicly, with her blessing, of their beliefs that Obama is not the D's 'strongest candidate' hands more fodder to the Rs for use in the general. It is patently obvious that her interests lie not in returning the White House to the Democrats in January, but rather in elevating herself regardless of cost. How very unfortunate...and entirely unsurprising.

May 28, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  12. Brian T

I am also a Clinton supporter unwilling to give bush a 3rd term. Lets start to unite our party!

May 28, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  13. Western Voter

Governor Rendell actually said, "I wear a flag pin, so [it would] be a balanced ticket." Yes he did!

The Clinton elite certainly have one thing in common...a form of hoof and mouth disease that could end up hurting all of us in November. This lack of grace and an innate "bad loser" complex is appalling.

Memo to undeclared superdelagates: HOW MUCH MORE OF THIS KIND OF DAMAGE ARE YOU GOING TO WATCH BEFORE YOU ACT?

May 28, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  14. GREGG LA

YES, SHE WILL WIN
    SHE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT IS CAPABLE

OBAMA IS JUST FULL OF TRASH TALKING SPEECH

May 28, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  15. albert griffith

he would be a good pick as well as jim webb,chuck hagel,joe biden,tim kaine,sam nunn,dick luger,etc,etc!!!!!

May 28, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  16. Bopper

What is new?

May 28, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  17. Jerry in Fresno

The strongest candidate is the one running the best campaign;

the one with foresight;

the one with a plan to succeed.

May 28, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  18. Less Austin, Texas

'Very unlikely' Clinton will win. Did he let her know this? Because she doesn't seem to know this.

"going to fairly adjust" . . Fairly huh... Hillary wants Michigan state votes to count. Her name was the only one on the ballot. They might want to look up the meaning of the word "fairly" before they use it again.

Oh, and another thing, if she was the "stongest candidate" she would not need Michigan and Florida's votes to win.

She is not the strongest candidate. I don't think he realized this.

May 28, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  19. Alice

Well, I think that [flag pin] comment took Rendell off the short list!

May 28, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  20. Dylan

A democrat, regardless of who it is, has no reason to lose this general election. The only people who will lose this election for the candidate isn't the candidate themself, but the supporters of the candidate who didn't get nominated. GROW UP PEOPLE!!! do you really want to hand this country to another republican administration....if you do, we better all start learning chinese, cause its all down hill from there. If you don't get out and vote democrat, regardless of whether you supported clinton or obama, then you have done what our party has done for years, handed the government over to those who unite behind their candidate. Its divide and conquer, they always win that way, don't let them tear us apart again. Vote democrat. If I support hillary and obama is the nominee i will vote for obama. If I support obama and hillary is the nominee, I will vote hillary. Any of you who would do otherwise out of immature pettiness, well I can only say, you are a bunch of fools who don't deserve to live in a country that still could be on top of the world. UNITE PEOPLE!!! Don't let your ego's cloud your judgement.

May 28, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  21. Tired of the Clintons

Some of the voters have Clinton fatigue. Clinton will use any excuse to be the democratic nominee. Stop with that song and dance about experience to be the president. Most people are sick of hearing it.

May 28, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  22. Coquelicot

My dear Rendell you will be called to order just like Paterson. She will forget the boost you gave her in Pensylvania and will show a lot of dissatisfaction. Soon we will see you apologizing publicly. She will get you just you wait. By the way we didn't have to wait long for Paterson to change his language.

May 28, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  23. Amy OFlaherty Reno, NV

The flag pin issue is the dumbest thing ever, first of all. Second, why should Florida's delegates get seated? Nobody had a problem with this until Hillary was losing.

May 28, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  24. Brian in Florida

Did he really stoop to the flag pin thing again? He is as sick as the Clinton's. Glad he isn't my Gov!

Get over it HRC backers, she is willing to DESTROY the party for her own gain. That should tell you something about her.

50/50 split for Michigan and Florida and let's move on!

Obama '08

May 28, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  25. White folks please coming from a white man

Hillary and Billary please stop! just stop so we can move forward to the general election.

May 28, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |