May 30th, 2008

Clinton supporters tell her: 'It's an honor, Madame President!'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/30/art.clintonsd.ap.jpg caption="Clinton campaigned in South Dakota Thursday."] WATERTOWN, South Dakota (CNN) - Long bus rides along rolling fields, small town stops, intimate crowds and diner pie typically symbolize the run up to the Iowa caucuses and the start of the presidential nominating season. But Hillary Clinton's two-day swing through South Dakota, a state that ends the primary process Tuesday, had all those trappings and neither the candidate nor her supporters were acting as though this race was nearing an end.

"A lot of people didn't want this campaign to keep going. They've been trying to tell me to stop running since January - and every time they say it, people rebuke it and keep voting for me. That's what I hope will happen here in South Dakota," she told a cheering crowd of several hundred in Huron.

As she stood in front of an enormous American flag, Clinton wound through her stump speech promising fiscal responsibility, universal health care, better and more jobs, ending the war in Iraq - all the issues candidates touch as they claw for every vote. She promised that between now and Tuesday there would not be a day without a Clinton in some corner of this state. As voters left they were given small Xeroxed fliers advertising a Bill Clinton event Friday in Mitchell.

Earlier Thursday die-hard Clinton supporters and some undecided Democrats waited patiently inside the smallish Second Street Diner in Madison hoping for a glimpse of and a picture with the presidential candidate. Upon arrival Clinton gripped and grinned with the all white, mostly middle-aged female crowd stopping at each booth and table to chat about issues or her Wednesday trip to Mt. Rushmore – "it's an honor, Madame President!" one woman shrieked as Clinton bounced through the door.

Clinton sat with a group of all female campaign volunteers sipped her tea and nibbled her pie before she took the microphone for a semi-impromptu speech and question and answer session with the diner crowd.

Jolene Johnson, a Madison resident and undecided voter, said Clinton's situation did not look "favorable" but said the "tenacity of staying in is typical of a woman ... she is not a quitter." She came to the diner to hear Clinton's pitch, and brought her granddaughter along to show her that a woman could run for president.

"I'd like to see her win," said retiree Wayne Grad. "Obama is a good candidate, but he lacks the experience. He's too much of a rock star." Grad said he thought calls for Clinton to exit the race were premature. When asked whether he thought Clinton would be his party's nominee he said, "I'd like to believe she is."

Clinton logged hours on the road to touch South Dakota's urban and rural communities from Rapid City in the west to Watertown in the east. She heads to Puerto Rico Friday for a three-day swing and a presumed victory in the island's Sunday primary, further adding to her popular vote total and her argument that she still has a chance at the nomination.

The campaign is mum about where she heads after Sunday and what her schedule holds for next week. The mid-size traveling press corps received an email to sign up for future travel, prompting questions about where the bus was headed next? A campaign spokesman replied "there are a lot of places to go to between June 3 and November."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Eli

I love the way CNN slants things to make it sound worse. Why did we have to hear "all white", this sounds a little like O's race baiting / American hating close friend "uncle" preacher and wife of his. But hey thats what this race has been about from the beginning of January, Obama and his news media made sure of that.

May 30, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  2. IRIS PITA

As a elderly black female, I am so disapointed in the outcome of the Clinton campaign. I was so committed to seeing her get the nomination and vowed to work for her in the fall. However when the spector of racism raised its ugly head through some of her supportors I was shocked that she did not take this matter on and firmly denounce any notion that she welcomed this kind of support. Instead it appears that she has capitalized on these sometimes not so sutle remarks. I was such a supportor of Bill Clinton. And now I realize that she is out to win by any means necessary. This is not the kind of President we need at this time in history. Being a woman is more than just a gender status. I would not want my granddaughter to acheive through racism and lies. Sorry Hillary I thought you were better than that.

May 30, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  3. TF

You people saying Hillary should run as an independent are totally ignorant to election rules. But that doesn’t come as a surprise to me since you all have been convinced that there are no rules when it comes to a Clinton.

She can't run as an Independent so get over it.

May 30, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  4. Phil Newton

Enough.

May 30, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  5. Alex in TX

Tenacity, I admire.

The inability to grasp reality and willingness to change the rules to for self benefit are not characterstics I want in my president.

May 30, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  6. Carmen, North Carolina

I am a 54 year old woman and I think Hillary is a hoc of crap. She is a fake and I don'e see why everyone is flocking to her. She is nothing but a big cry baby. Now what I would like to say to all Hillary women supporters, I hope you have the stomach for disappoint if you are black because she surely don't like you but if you think she do keep hanging in there and ask a favor any flavor and see what you get. I use to like her but now there is to much writing on the wall that tells me she don't like black people, but Bill check out is new girl friend and you will know why he stump in all the back doors of rural areas and not Hillary. She has never been in an all black setting since her campaign and I think that should say a lot, but Old Bill he don't care. Ha Ha

May 30, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  7. Jane Gozun

You will win the nomination Hilary! May God be with you.

May 30, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  8. PJ

Obama's past will keep coming back to hunt him. Obama was a "community organizer" and gave a speech in 2002. "Community organizer" means far left activism, is the code words that the Marxists use.
    Obama's advantage in delegates result not from popular votes but from caucuses that grant 8 delegates for every 10,000 votes while the primary popular votes grant 1 delegate for every 10,000 votes. This is outrageous and make Obama an illegitimate candidate.

May 30, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  9. Fernandez

Take it all the way to covention. In fact I would love to see a broker convention, If it does not work, HRC should run as Independent

May 30, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  10. Bobby

This is total denial in it's purist form! Delusional, pathetic, selfish, and outright scandelous how this women continues to keep up with this charade! Every body has an opinion about this mess but I can only see destruction, division and hatred comeing from HRC supporters. I commend fellow bloggers for voicing their views but I can only say:
    WELCOME MR. PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA!!!!!! YOU have brought integrity, honor, unselfishness, and is the true uniter that we have been looking for!!! No more race card playing, gender division, lies, or hatred!!! WE the people can not afford FOUR MORE YEARS OF WAR, RECESSION, AND DISTORTED REALITY!!!!!!!

OBAMA 08-012

May 30, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  11. Democrats Unite Against 3rd Bush Term

I understand the support for Hillary, but what I dont understand is when this support becomes dogmatic and destructive to the democratic party....
    Just stop the nonsense! The race is over! It ended back in March – in Wisconsin!
    Stop dividing the party and let's unite against McBush!!!

Hillary, I love you to death, but it's over dear... please let go...

May 30, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  12. Steve, New York, New York

Hillary must think we're all idiots.

Lose gracefully, already, and please MOVE BACK TO ARKANSAS!!!
    True New Yorkers are sick of your two-faced personality and your "insane clown" grin!

Anybody but Hillary in 2008!

May 30, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  13. JamesAAMale

SAVE OUR NATION FROM THE COMMUNISTS OBAMA AND REZCO AND HIS DRUG INDUCED WORSHIPERS !!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!

HILLARY ? MCCAIN 2008 !!!

May 30, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  14. ree not for Obama

Kathy you said it very well.

I just can't bring myself to even consider voting for Obama. If he would had waited and had more experience, maybe.

Just because people are not getting on his bandwagon, we are whites who are still racist, we are uneducated, in some states the people are stupid. And the list could go on.

Don't you Obama supporters realize we live In the United States and we have a choice. We feel the same way about the Obama's that you feel about Clinton. We wish he would go back home.

We don't need someone like him and his wife that only care because they want him to be the first Black president. We are tired of having them shoved at us. He is NOT GOD. Voting for him is like another 4 years of Bush. No experience and thinks who he is.

May 30, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  15. Mat

CNN – Why is this news? Why – The whole thing is just about retired bitter woman telling her to stay in the race – SO WHAT – WHY ARE YOU STILL RUNNING THESE CLINTON FLUFF STORIES??

So sick of it!

May 30, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  16. Stephen

The team with the most points when the game ends is the winner.

The Patriots were the stronger team before the game was played. there's only a few seconds left in the game Hillary and you are out of time outs. There are no 200 point delegate plays to call inthe last seconds of this game.

Take a knee and hand the ball to refs and shake Obama's hand a wish him well. That's how you show good sportsmanship when you lose

May 30, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  17. Jeff

Not true. Just since March when it became statistically impossible for you to secure the nomination. The really sadness here is, we could have been pounding McCain since then instead of putting up with this foolishness.

Dems '08

May 30, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  18. Richard, FL

It is fascinating to hear the Hillary supporters who avidly support her, but when she officially gives up and tells them to support Obama, they will tell us that Hillary isn't honest and doesn't care about the future of our country so they will vote for McBush.

May 30, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  19. h

People say Hillary has delivered, so where's the beef? The Clinton name is the essence of devisiveness in the country. Isn't it better to pull together than lose 50% .... think on that you Clintonites... time to move on and embrace the future rather than reflect on the good times of the past.

May 30, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  20. Rudy NYC

I think everyone in America knows several someones who are bigots.

May 30, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  21. joey

MAD-WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 30, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  22. AJ, IL

WOW! Very delusional people. Skip the primary season and general election process, let's just coronate her? Talk about a severe case of entitlement!

The democratic nomination process will be over by June 6th!

Obama in 08!

May 30, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  23. Jeff Radun

This new pastore of Obama who he has been friends with for 20 years and was part of his campaign until a month or 2 ago has done the following
    Pfleger, has hosted Louis Farrakhan, the controversial leader of the Nation of Islam, at St. Sabina and has called him "a gift from God to a sick, sick world."

This is why Hillary must win.
    Obama has Mr Wright, Mr Pfleger, Mr Rezko, Mr Farrakhan, Mr Ayres and his wife who is not proud to be American.
    I can not understand how the media could allow this to happen.
    and not keep it on the news every day,

May 30, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  24. Jose

I'm exhausted by all Hillary supporters they want her to ignore the rules and just take (steel in my opinion) the votes. If America allow that then they go down in front of the whole world. And will not been taken serious anymore.
    She is a lawyer..........even than she is able to do so??? Incredible!
    Take care?

May 30, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  25. Carol

As Clinton "bounced" through the door? Yes, she's rather chubby but I don't think she is completely round and "bounces" to get from place to place. She will keep walking so she can try to step on, and crush, anyone who gets in her way.

Go Obama!