May 31st, 2008

Full Michigan delegation with half-vote to be seated by Dems

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Democratic National Committee's Rules and Bylaws
Committee on Saturday voted to seat all Michigan delegates to its convention, giving each a half-vote and dividing them to give Hillary Clinton a slight edge over Barack Obama.

The 19-8 vote gives 69 pledged delegates to Clinton and 59 to frontrunner Obama - each with half a vote because Michigan was penalized, like Florida, for moving its primary ahead in the campaign season.

Clinton adviser and RBC member Harold Ickes said, "Mrs. Clinton has instructed me to reserve her rights to take this to the Credentials Committee."

Filed under: DNC • Michigan
  1. joe

What a joke it's 2000 all over again. Why vote? I guess the dems want McCain to be president. I will not vote for a crook like Obama.

May 31, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  2. Dazed and Confused

Why??? Didn't Ickes agree to and vote for the initial sanctions? It is obvious now that this is not about the party, this is not about the people, this is about Hillary Clinton and her legacy.

May 31, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  3. Vronski M. Mesidor

This may or may not be posted, but as an American I feel compelled to partake in this "sham of an election". I have been a Democrat since I can remember and I have been a Bill Clinton supporter for both terms of his presidency. I even voted for Mrs. Clinton during her New York Senatorial bid. Today I am a very sad American and Democrat.

This "Compromise" is the biggest shame since the Bush election in 2000. The votes should not count for Fla. and Mich, due to one simple fact those states broke the rules that were set. Now those rules are being ignored as though they did not exist in order to appease Mrs. Clinton's desparate attempts to become President.

This has shown future generations that when entering a game or following established rules they may be changed to appease those that are losing when the loser is a powerful individual, corporation or group. This is a sad day and the future shall judge our actions within the Democratic party as hypocrital, inconsistant with Democratic beliefs and un-American. Rules should not be changed in the middle of the game when the rules were clear to all sides, ignored by some and now rewrote because Mrs. Clinton is a selfish individual who puts her self interest before that of the People...The majority has spoken and in a Demeocracy this puts Sen Obama as the Democratic Nominee for President.

May 31, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  4. Fred

What does it mean to "fully seat delegates" when you are giving them "half a vote". What a bunch of crap. Just say that "hey ...things happen...and this is how we are solving it". Please don't insult people like that.

I like both Hillary or Obama. And I hope the run together, but the only way to make this right was to have a revote in both states. We talk about disenfranchising voters. Remember Florida in 2000? Even some of us think 2004 ws stolen because of voter disenfranchisement.

Hillary has no chance to win under any scenario, and I hope she realizes that soon and gets on board to beat McCain. But that does not change the fact that what happened today was voter disenfranchisement.

Obama gets closer to his righful nomination, I hope Hilary bows out and helps beat McCain....

The loser today was the democratic party and the winner is John McCain

May 31, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  5. Dan

Not after Tuesday night. It will all over by then. Ask Nancy Pelosi.

May 31, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  6. susie

Dean, Kennedy, Kerry and Pelosi are so corrupt, I will never vote for Democrats again.

May 31, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  7. J. Majury

Perhaps instead of blaming the DNC and anyone else within shooting range, Hillary Clinton, should blame not Obama, but husband, Bill Clinton, and his former cohorts, Carville, Ickhes, MacAukff, Begala, Penn, and God knows how many others. Instead of standing up for herself, she let them stand up for her.

May 31, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  8. martin from Florida

outstanding!! I think the right thing was done because, the only other alternative was to stick with the rules and don't seat any delegates. Just think, people knew who hillary was so they voted for her. No one knew Obama, so he never really got a chance to let people know his agenda before the Florida or Michigan Primaries. So what happened today was good for the Party and the People who did not vote because they thought there vote would not count also for those who did vote. Democrats will win the General Election because the hundreds of thousands who did not vote during the primaries will vote in the General.

May 31, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  9. oldwhiteguy

Mr. Ickes, take it any where you want to. Its OVER. You'll find a new job tho, just keep saying,"do you want fries with that?"

May 31, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  10. Kim, Dallas, TX

Thank you Rules and Bylaws committee, you did the right thing. Thanks for not succombing to the pressure and honoring integrity and respect for both candidates. i know it couldn't have been easy, but it was right. I hope that we can heal as a party now and get this all behind us. Thank you once again.

May 31, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  11. Never count her out.

Thats funny...someone whose name even does not appear on the ballot gets 'delegates' ... that;s a joke..

May 31, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  12. Susan Fletcher

I voted in Florida before I moved to Tennessee. Now that the DNC decided that my full vote did not count and did not mean anything, I have decided that if Hillary does not become the Democratic nominee then I will vote for McCain! These 30 people should not have the right to decide if my vote counts or not. This is supposed to be the United States of America! I am so disappointed in my country right now!

May 31, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  13. Republican for Obama

There! Is she satisfied now????!!! Obama is still ahead anyway. If she continues this fight to the convention, she will certainly destroy her party's chances for sure!

May 31, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  14. Grover W.

Well, not quite the mulligan she was looking for.
    Hillary will have to find another way to steal the nomination she could NOT win outright. It wasn't a perfect solution but it is one both side can live with.

May 31, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  15. Marion Hofmann

This whole situation with Florida and Michigan upsets me to no end..I am changing to be an independent and may even vote for McCain...I know I won't vote for Obama.

May 31, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  16. Oregon4Obama

TO: Clinton Supporters who are ANGRY with todays Results.....

WHY? why are you angry.........First off, Clinton nor Obama had control over what happened today or when MI and FL violated the party rules and moved up their primaries.......

MI.....they were stripped of their delegates so Obama and Others like John Edwards, removed their names from the Ballot to honor PARTY RULES.....Clinton left her name on, for one reason or another.....so to count any number without giving any to Obama is WRONG by any stretch fo the imagination......

Even the Clinton Supporters at the event voted that Obama deserves some delegates, and its fair.......a contest doesnt have only one contestant.....so ya, its fair

FL.....they seated ALL of the delegates without any funny splits, they just counted the delegates at half-value.......Hillary still won, in both states

A thought......Hillary wanted ALL delegates to be seated at FULL value.....well a compromise......ALL delegates were seated at HALF value......

Still Upset???? The delegates are being seated in FULL as not to "disenfrachise" the voters of both states, plus if the race were not as close as it is, none of this would be happening now OK....

The voters ARE being justified by having their votes count......Hillary is not because she wanted those BIG numbers to eat away at Obama's lead......meaning, she is only concerned with herself....selfish

May 31, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  17. Steve, Bakersfield, CA

I wonder how the Democratic party is going to fare running the country when they can't even run their own party.

May 31, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  18. Mark

I 100% agree with how they did this, she gets the win (even though he could have curshed her had the state been done properly and he had time to campaign their and was on the ticket) but anyway... 44% didnt vote for her they voted uncommitted the obama supporters in the state had previously told their people to vote uncommitted if they wanted to vote for obama.

whats irony is shes getting fumed right now over it because even after they seated all of these delegates and their half votes... ... SHES STILL LOOSING BY OVER 170 DELEGATES!

And that's with tuesday almost surely bringing 2 strong obama wins with only PR going to hilary, which cant even vote in the general election

May 31, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  19. Bill PA

Oh well it figures...the rats are out

May 31, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  20. Frances McIntyre

Harold Ickes is "icky".
    United we stand. Onward Obama, let's get rid of Bush and make this country the greatest democracy in the world again!

May 31, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  21. Charlene

Clinton, is suffering from a bad case of GLUTTONY
    She should be ASHAMED of herself!!!

May 31, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  22. lol

take it to the convention hillary. the dnc has bent over backwards for obama, and despite him outspending you 5-1, he still can't beat you. the exodus of disgruntled democrats to register independent, and republican will happen. run as an independent candidate, hillary. hillary owes the democrats nada, for the way she was treated by them.

May 31, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  23. Tom Brooks

The DNC rules committee and the Obama supporters have decided they do not want my whole vote. Therefore in November since I can not give tem half a vote, I will give them no vote. My wife and I have agreed to give our two votes to McCain. The DNC rules commitee and Chairman Dean have decided to punish us for the actions of a Republican controlled legislature. I know ther are alot of Democrats here in Florda who feel disenfrancised by Obama, Dean and the DNC.

May 31, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  24. Miles

There! Hopefully HRC will shut up now..but of course we all know that's not going to happen. Don't be suprised if she takes this thing to the convention..It makes me so angry that they gave into her. THE WOMAN SAID IT HER SELF "THE VOTES WON'T COUNT" IF SHE WERE AHEAD NONE OF THIS WOULD BE GOING ON..

May 31, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  25. Beverley

CNN,

Who says there is nothing to watch on tv these days! Thank you for airing all the proceedings and all your great work! Please interview Donna Brazille tomorrow on Late Edition! I'm dying to know what happened at lunch!

May 31, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |