May 31st, 2008

Full Michigan delegation with half-vote to be seated by Dems

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Democratic National Committee's Rules and Bylaws
Committee on Saturday voted to seat all Michigan delegates to its convention, giving each a half-vote and dividing them to give Hillary Clinton a slight edge over Barack Obama.

The 19-8 vote gives 69 pledged delegates to Clinton and 59 to frontrunner Obama - each with half a vote because Michigan was penalized, like Florida, for moving its primary ahead in the campaign season.

Clinton adviser and RBC member Harold Ickes said, "Mrs. Clinton has instructed me to reserve her rights to take this to the Credentials Committee."

Filed under: DNC • Michigan
  1. Words of Caution

Excellent job by the Michigan Democratic Party, Obama and the Rules Committee!
    Now I wait for the other shoe...and there will be one...guaranteed. I suspect it will be on the issue of penalties for "campaigning".
    I just hope that the vocal 10% of Democratic women who want HIllary decide to either think about their country or get to heck out of the Democratic Party and join the Hillary Clinton Party! Just remember gals, the Republican men loathe your heroine and the women despise her just as much!

May 31, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  2. Cherie

I am 52 and independent, voting democrat most of my life. I am so ashamed of the democrats right now, selling out Clinton. I am sick of how this campaign has gone from the beginning with the media kissing Obama's you know what and not being fair. I am sick of media period and for a long time. Our media has become only propaganda and America has lost our rights of the people due to this. It feels like Russia the way we only hear on news what they want us to hear. This decision today also showed me certain democrats have their own agenda and that's Obama. They will be sorry in general election because Obama will be torn to shreds and he is wishy washy in his decisions. I almost would have respected him better to stand up for his church and minister than to sell him down the river for politics. It was so obvious that he doesn't have convictions and that proved it. I will not support him and I'm not sorry to say this. I am a 52 year old woman who went through the last election with republicans using their clout with courts to win that election, but I never, NEVER thought I'd see the day the democrats would shoot themselves in the foot like they have today and last couple months. I am done!

May 31, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  3. Lucas

It would have been the greatest injustices ever imaginable not to award Obama any delegates from Michigan with an excuse he chose not have his name on the ballot. After all all he did was follow the party rules and I don't believe HRC and co should insist on getting all those delegates coz she had agreed to have them disqualified for a reason she well knows and believes right though its now apparent she has the remotest of chances to win without them, indeed all of them from both Mi and Fl.
    Stop moving the goal posts every time you miss the penalty Hillary! It makes look and sound more pathetic if you don't already do!

Lucas
    Adelaide, Australia

May 31, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  4. All American

It is written in the democrat constitution that you cannot give delegates to a candidate (Obama) that is not on the ballot. And you cannot give the undecided votes to a candidate(Obama). The democrate party broke every rule by doing this..

It is also unexplained why Rhode Island voted out of turn and wasn't penalized. But Michigan and Flordia was. The whole process was a joke.

As for the old argument that Obama followed the rules. Bull!!!! In the first place no one told Obama to take his name off the ballot. And no one campagined in Michigan ,but Obama did run commericals on t.v. in Flordia. No one else did. He is just sneakier than anyone else. And a lot better at lieing. I am through with the democrate party.

GO MCCAIN!! MICHIGAN IS WAITING FOR YOU.

May 31, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  5. EMEKA

IF CLINTONS REALLY THINKS THAT THEY LOVE AMERICA THE WAY THEY TALK ,THEY SHOULD QUIT AND SUPPORT OBAMA.

May 31, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  6. Obama for peace and prosperity

It's all nonsense!

First, the DNC made a rule which even they don't respect.

Second, they awarded a woman who not only broke the rule but also determined to destroy the party unless nominated .

Third, they penalized Obama and supporters for striclty observing the rule.

Oh, my GOD.

May 31, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  7. Dave in Florida

Although a lifelong democrat, I cannot wait to vote for John McCain in November.

May 31, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  8. Jonathan of Tampa, FL

Overall it is a bad situation. I wish that Florida and Michigan simply followed the rules in the first place instead of being defiant. I think The Committee did the best that they could considering the situation. If the DNC stuck to the original rule....0 delegates would have been awarded do I think it is cool that a compromise has been reached.

May 31, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  9. Melmarie

So can we now move on! Obama will still be the nominee with all of the "states" counted.

May 31, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  10. Paul Keen

CNN, being a news channel should only reflect what is going on in the race, rather than being a supporter for a specific candidate (Obama).

By the way, the vote counts should be up-to-date, dont you think?

May 31, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  11. Anna, PA

YES WE WILL...

TAKE IT ALL THE WAY TO THE CONVENTION!!!

OR LET'S GO INDEPENDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-WOMEN WILL NOT BE IGNORED-

I have waited for a woman to have this opportunity my entire life. I have given thousands of dollars to the democratic party, time, and my vote (in EVERY election) for the past 17 years. I have supported the democratic party thinking one day they will show their appreciation and allow one woman to get through. I have always loved Hillary and denying her is like spitting in my face. This Nov. I will be voting republican (unless Hillary runs as independent) for the first time and I will never return. I am ashamed of my party for how you have treated this great woman. The party deserves what it gets in Nov.

May 31, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  12. nick

BOOO, thats not right! OBAMA SHOULD GET NONE, HES BREAKING THE RULES AND THE DEMOCRATS LET HIM!! THE RULES STATE NO CANDIDATE SHALL RECIEVE ANY UNCOMMITED VOTES, OR VOTES FORM ANOTHER CANDIDATE -like john edwards' votes- IT IS VERY EASY TO SEE HOW BIAS OBAMA'S PARTY WAS, IT WAS OBAMA'S WAY OR NO WAY, AND THEY MADE IT CLEAR, WHAT OBAMA DID WAS WRONG! BOTH PARTIES HAD TO AGREE ON IT TO SEAT THE DELEGATES AND HE WOULD OBLY AGREE TO IT, IF HE GOT MICHIGANS VOTES, WHICH WERE NOT HIS IN THE FIRST PLACE,OTHER PEOPLE VOTED UNCOMMITED FOR OTHER CANDIDATES, BOO BARACK, AND BOO THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

ALL I CAN SAY IS IN SOME MORE MONTHS WE WILL BE HEARING FROM PRES. McCAIN!

May 31, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  13. Audrey

Now that the main issue has been decided, and Clinton has absolutely no hope of getting the nomination (that writing has been on the wall for a month now), she needs to get the heck out of the race. She's doing more damage than any Republican could ever do. Ickes' attitude today didn't do her any favors as regards to public opinion.

GET OUT HILARY! Your 10.000 minutes (most normal, rational people take 15 but Hilary just doesn't know when to quit) of fame are well and truly up. Not only are you hurting the party, you're very seriously damaging your own reputation and future political career with this nonsense.

May 31, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  14. Carol in NC

Glad it is over and I think everything was fair

May 31, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  15. A. O'Donnell

The DNC has done nothing to unite the party. Their vote today was a slap in the face. Of course CNN will spins this party division on Clinton with their laughable "unbias" reporting.

I am ashamed of the DNC and CNN.

I personally, will NOT vote for Obama. I'll vote for Clinton whether or not she is on the ballot.

Angry in Illinois!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 31, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  16. Steve

59 delegates goes to a candidate who wasn't even on the ballot. The decision was based on votes for "uncommitted" and exit polls.
    A committee of 30 people, with 27 who can vote, makes the decision.
    They did it on national TV. It's a dark day for our democracy.

May 31, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  17. Mary May King

Gives some idea of why this state is no longer #1 in auto production in this country. When you compromise on all the really important stuff, the only thing left to distinguish their work from someone else's is the number and location of cup holders.

May 31, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  18. Blinded by the Lie

Now can we move on?

May 31, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  19. Hawaiian w/ a common sense

After watching the DNC Committee work together to come up with a compromise, true colors came out of Harold Ickes as being the twin brother of Hillary Clinton. Both "pea" brains came from the same pod.

I watched in amazement and agreement the Catholic priest that mocked Clinton almost perfectly. I actually laughed and applauded him for being so accurate in portraying Clinton's "attitude" and actions throughout this campaign.

Now, Clinton is hinting to bring this to the convention? I thought she said she would support Sen. Obama and unite the party? Instead, she's the selfish crybaby only thinking of herself and truly doesn't care if she hurts Sen. Obama's chances of becoming the president and not to mention, bring the whole Democratic down with her. Hillarious and her supporters are a bunch of losers. They will do anything to win. What pathetic losers!!!!!!!!

May 31, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  20. VADemocrat

I watched this on CNN. I've never seen anything like it. It almost seemed like we were back in high school watching kids bickering about a missed call at a football game. And the crowd ... rude doesn't begin to describe that bunch.

May 31, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  21. Amy from MI

I was told my vote would not count. My neighbors were told their vote would note count. On election day, I went to the polls, and voted uncommitted because my candidate of choice, Obama, was not on the ticket. Some of my Democratic neighbors voted in the Republican primary, knowing their vote in the Democratic primary would not count. Most of my neighbors stayed home, knowing that their vote would not count. And now the party tells us our votes do count. It's just wrong.

May 31, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  22. Tony Z-MD

Harold Icke and HRC, I really feel bad for you. This sense of entitlement is scary. You are together destroying the democratice party.

May 31, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  23. megan

Hillary Clinton is a liar and a cheater...This is a clear embarrasment to the rest of the world...Do she realize that the entire country is looking at her cheat...She agreed to the penalty and once she found out she wouldn't have enough votes she tried to change the rules...How dirty is that...How can we say to rest of the world "be fair" when our own politicians are crooked...The rules are the rules and that's the only way the state of Florida and Michigan will get their act together...How can she say she won those states when his name wasn't even on the ballot for the people to vote in the first place.....She's dirty and I don't want a liar and cheat to run this country...I no longer support or trust her anymore...If she can do this just imagine what she'll do in the white house...This is dirty...If that's the case then let the people of florida & michigan vote again...I bet she won't win...O'Bama will still have more delegate and super delegates she can cry wolve all she wants but the rules are the rules and O'bama is the only candidate I'll ever trust...Hillary your a dirty B****! & do is your campaign...Your behind this church controversy too!...

May 31, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  24. Antietam

Cannot blame Hellory for trying to grab the FL and MI delegates. It is her hypocrisy, that she claims to be fighting for truth and justice, I find so sickening. And Obama is no better. Quitting Trinity Church counts as an an abject piece of political pandering. And McCain believes that the wrong side won the Vietnam war. What is voter to do, except go fishing Nov. 8.

May 31, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  25. Blinded by the Lie

Half a vote beats no vote.....DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!!!!!!!!!

May 31, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |