May 31st, 2008

Full Michigan delegation with half-vote to be seated by Dems

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Democratic National Committee's Rules and Bylaws
Committee on Saturday voted to seat all Michigan delegates to its convention, giving each a half-vote and dividing them to give Hillary Clinton a slight edge over Barack Obama.

The 19-8 vote gives 69 pledged delegates to Clinton and 59 to frontrunner Obama - each with half a vote because Michigan was penalized, like Florida, for moving its primary ahead in the campaign season.

Clinton adviser and RBC member Harold Ickes said, "Mrs. Clinton has instructed me to reserve her rights to take this to the Credentials Committee."

Filed under: DNC • Michigan
  1. paul

Harold Ickes is a political moron. He can't understand the simple fact that rules cannot be changed half way through a process. But only after the process in order to improve on its efficiency the next time there is a repeat of the process. His comments about the decision made by the RBC is appauling and I think he needs to appologize to every member of the Democratic party.

May 31, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  2. Russ-jacksonville, fl

There is no doubt in my mind that she is trying to torpedo Obama's chances of getting into the whitehouse.

May 31, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  3. john

Thank God " The Clintons " are in the U S of A and not here in
    Canada..

May 31, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  4. adam

NOW HRC CAN GO AWAY FOR GOOD. SHE DOESN'T HAVE NO EXCUSE FROM NOW ON. THANKYOU DNC FOR REACHING THE FINAL .

May 31, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  5. Rose

I am just so glad this will finally end next week. We need to rally behind our nominee and look ahead to the general election.

May 31, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  6. Gary Mitchell

Harold:

Get over it. Michigan brought their proposal to the committee. The committee ratiffied the Michigan proposal. If you and your boss wish to destroy the party over four delegates more or less then it maybe time for you both to find another party.

May 31, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  7. E. C., Houston, Texas

One Word: CROOKED

May 31, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  8. Clevelander

I supported senator Clinton before the Ohio primary. I admire her tenacity and political skills. However, it appears that she is now doing this for her personal gain. I truely would like this country to move forward and stay away from another Bush's term. If McCain were elected, maybe we ought to consider moving to Canada?

May 31, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  9. JN

Sure Harold..let her take it to the Credentials Committee....She will be commiting Political suicide...Her career right now is over for all this BS she pulled...At least if she goes to the Convention, that will be a guarantee she will be gone from politics for the rest of her life..NO ONE would forgive her for that unless it was her uneducated, WHITE supporters!

I am very happy with the outcome....And to think she seriously thought she was going to get these delegates seated in full..Like Donna Brazille said..When you start changing the game plan in the middle of the game, that is called CHEATING..it's about time someone called Billary out on this one!!!!! Bye Bye Billary...BYE BYE!!!!

May 31, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  10. Gboro4Obama

I think today was a fair way of seating what happened in those 2 states. The fact that it took so long didnt seat well with me, however I feel like the meeting did what it needed to do. And i bet that the next time Flordia, and Mich. Will not vote until LAST!!!!

May 31, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  11. Barbara

Thank God it's over...now let's (Democrats) move on toward beating McCain in the fall!!

May 31, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  12. Bill in Illinois

I watched most of the days proceedings and the democratic leadership must be really ashamed of this circus. There was no order and all of the folks in the peanut gallery made it very difficult to comprehend what was going on most of the time.

This chaos seems to have become the hallmark of the democrats this year and most of it seems to me to be directly attributable to Hillary and her supporters who know that they only way she is going to have a ghost of a chance to win is through intimidation.

Do you want to vote for a candidate who represents a party that is totally out of control? I certainly do not. Attention Dumbacrats – U blew it! Big Mac – ya got my vote.

May 31, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  13. Karen

Thank goodness the delegates will be able to join the party in Denver.

Hooray!!!!

Voters, eh, who needs 'em.

May 31, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  14. john

if Hillory wants to change the rules inning by innings,and be a poor loser,then what would she be like as a President,other countries would not be able to trust her.

May 31, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  15. ForBetterWorld

OK, Now its the super deligates turn to end this by Tuesday !!

May 31, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  16. Z

I think it is funny with all the chaos surrounding the Dem's.

McCain is going to win regardless of their bickering.

McCain 2008!

May 31, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  17. V

I must say i am surprize at the out come and this should be the end. If Hillary and her supporters try to override this decision get ready for another eight years of high gas prices, a unendable war that might lead to a draft, and more big buisness dominating the country as we know it. Its time to put an end to all this. Hillary you loss plain and simple, Your underhanded dealings backfired, accept it and move on.

May 31, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  18. PinoyAko

I hope this puts an end to all the divisive bickering. It is time to unite and prevent the Republicans from continuing to mess with the country.

May 31, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  19. JerryMerry

This is total nonsense. Why make so much noise and then back down? Is this the way the Democrats want to run the country? Breaking any rule they don't like. This entire debate was unnecessary and the Democratic National Committee's Rules and Bylaws Committee should be punished for backpedaling.

May 31, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  20. joseph

Democrate made a wise decision today, am proud. Anyone that chose to disagree with that , do not want the unity of the party and is playing in the republican note book. That was there intention, to disorganise the DNC.

May 31, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  21. Jim

WAY TO GO DEMS!! WOOOT for disenfranchising voters!! I used to call myself a Democrat, but now with this theft of votes and an election, to hades with the party! I am for my nation and every vote SHOULD be counted!!! I TRULY hope the brat does well in November!! while he LOSES Florida and Michigan because his party screwed themselves. Write in vote for Hillary incoming from me OR I might vote FOR McCain instead of the wonderful Obratma!! /rude gesture to Democrat Party for becoming their party's mascot!

May 31, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  22. JC

There! Settled!
    Obama will still have the nom after the 3rd. Let's move on and win in November Dems! Dems couldn't get it together the last two times because they cannot unite!

May 31, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  23. Oregon

Clinton's campaign are sore losers.

May 31, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  24. Allan Woodland Hills, CA.

Harold Ickes, Clintons, et al, are only out for their own power base and not what is really good for the country and democratic party. Today democracy was shown in it's purest form....the people spoke. Now lets get on with fighting the republicans and not each other!

May 31, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  25. a turnip could beat mccain

She will take it to the credentials committee but by that time most of the superdelegates will have made their choice. Unfortunately she will succeed in fragmenting the party. Obama will still win the general election and the Democratic Party will eventually split with Bill and Hillary starting a new party so she can run in 2012.

May 31, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |