May 31st, 2008

Full Michigan delegation with half-vote to be seated by Dems

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Democratic National Committee's Rules and Bylaws
Committee on Saturday voted to seat all Michigan delegates to its convention, giving each a half-vote and dividing them to give Hillary Clinton a slight edge over Barack Obama.

The 19-8 vote gives 69 pledged delegates to Clinton and 59 to frontrunner Obama - each with half a vote because Michigan was penalized, like Florida, for moving its primary ahead in the campaign season.

Clinton adviser and RBC member Harold Ickes said, "Mrs. Clinton has instructed me to reserve her rights to take this to the Credentials Committee."

Filed under: DNC • Michigan
  1. Anita Alsop

I applaud the DNC for coming to a resolution. I was a Clinton supporter, but I now have decided that I do not want to support someone who brings such division within a commune of organized people. The disruptions at the DNC meeting, the disrespectful language of Mr. Ickes, and the accusations by Mr. Ickes that delegates for Mrs. Clinton were being hijacked could all have been avoided if Mrs. Clinton would admit to the inevitable: she will not be the Democratic nominee for President of the United States of America. She has opened a wound and must find a way to apply an antibiotic to prevent further infection. I applaud her strength and her efforts, and I am elated that she supports that every voice should be heard; but she wants those voices to be heard to her benefit. If Florida and Michigan were granted full representation at the Convention, it would have been open season on the DNC that any state could break rules with no repercussions. To ignore the compliance of 48 states in doing the right thing was Mrs. Clinton's plea. Let's put this behind us, pray for peace and whip the socks off of John McCain in November. May GOD continue to bless America in a unified manner!

May 31, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  2. David Davidson

This is nonsense, rules were broken and a proper punishment was reduced to a slap on the wrist. This is not a fair day for Democracy, this only shows that lawyers and stubborn stances can turn about a 'fair' ruling. If this was a true democracy we would have national voting days that would be treated like any other national holiday to help foster and bring more voters into the polls.

May 31, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  3. JN in NJ

Why giving 59 delegates to a candidate who did not get a single vote in the state?
    This is as arbitrary as saying that Obama must be the candidate in November whatever it happens

May 31, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  4. Cheryl in Augusta

Clinton previously stated her reason for remaining in the race was to ensure everyone had a chance to vote. Now everyone's vote has been counted and on Tuesday the last of the primaries will be done . Let's put this thing to bed! I will be very disappointed if she really proceeds to the Credentials Committee on this one. I personally don't think she should complain. She was given a higher portion of votes she didn't necessarily earn, especially in Michigan. Do you really win an election with no opponent?

May 31, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  5. WISDOM

Well...a half-vote is better than no-vote. Hillary should be very happy by now, but I don't think she would be happy even if they gave her all delegates from MI & FL. Even though all votes from both MI & FL are counted as they voted on their primary, She still will be short in number of delegates. So then she may (probably she would if we predict the way she has been act lately...) say the whole primary was flawed so that we need to cancel all election results and just do the floor nomination at the convention. She will never quit until she is the one who gets DEMS nomination. What a desperation! I admire her desperation. Will you marry me Hillary? I don't mind to take Bill too as long as he keep bring money in and cheating on you Hillary. Ha Ha Ha...

May 31, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  6. Laura

It's finally over....I hope!!! I just hope kids don't ask why did they break the rules? Does that mean I can???

May 31, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  7. Bryan in Michigan

I think it is a fair solution. I think seating 100% as an illegal vote would be just unfair to the policies and to the other states which abided by the rules.

I hope HRC does not drag this out even further...she is showing her true side now, a side which does not reflect that of becoming a president of the United States.

She needs 4 years to rethink and find out what America is REALLY about...then we'll see.

May 31, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  8. AER

Please take this to Denver for the second round vote. You promised to never give up. We believe you!

May 31, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  9. Melissa in PA

Why does he get 59? How did they dwcide on that spli? He wasn't on the ballot

May 31, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  10. Paul Lennon

You have to ask yourself, why would the DNC want S.C and Navada voting ahead of FLA.
    Simple. They wanted Obama to have some early wins, to take the wind out of Sen. Clinton's sails.

In other words this whole thing got started because the DNC was trying to fix the primary schedule for Obama.

This is what they get , I hope Hillary takes it all the way to the
    convention.

May 31, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  11. Only half?

Only half representation? am I only half a person? I am an AMERICAN, I deserve FULL representation. I'm not subject to "rules". I want it. NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!!111

May 31, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  12. Stimulating

Power hungry Clinton is still not satisfied. I do not understand who is mor eharmful to the nation McCain or Clinton.

May 31, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  13. independent

harold ickes and clinton supporters displayed incredibly bad behavior and demeanor during the hearing. for anyone that doesn't recognize this, the campaign and some supporters have crossed the line from being strong competitors to sore losers. please people recognize that is not a strong leader. the candidate sets the example and quite frankly it's not a favorable one. i have lost much respect for senator clinton and as a former new yorker would definitely not choose her to be a senator from the great state of new york nor the country.

May 31, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  14. joe

If not Hillary, then McCain, no Obama!!!!

May 31, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  15. Shane

I WILL NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA HE IS NOT OUR STRONGEST CANIDATE. I WILL ABSTAIN FROM VOTING THIS YEAR. HE DOES NOT REPRESENT MY VALUES

May 31, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  16. Laura

Ickes was completely rude. He represented Clinton?? That is really scary!

May 31, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  17. A wowed onlooker

Is Clinton SERIOUS??? I mean, she got more delegates than Obama and STILL wants to contest?? CRAZINESS I tell you! MADNESS!!!

May 31, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  18. Brian from Raleigh, NC

You can;t penalize the Florida and Michigan voters for the actions of their officials, and you can't penalize Obama for following the rules in Michigan by taking his name off the ballot.

The Democratic Party should have resolved this long ago, but this compromise seems like the best that can be made of a bad situation. Please let this be the end of the issue. We need a Democrat in the White House, first and foremost. Time to rally around Obama, the nominee chosen by the people.

May 31, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  19. Hope LV,NV

I think it was the best they could do. I hope both parties are satisfied and hopefully in the future Dems won't make up rules then decide mid-game they don't like them especially because the losing team threatens to take their ball and go home.

May 31, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  20. Sue Jackson

seat all the delegates in both states and let them vote. What is this half vote crap. I am sick of it. Yes i am a woman and wont Hillary.
    But seat all delegates in Florida and Michigan and let them vote.
    Why the heck should 30 people decide. why cant you do that?
    you still are not giving them a voice if you give them a half vote!

May 31, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  21. Josh

I'm a Clinton supporter and NOT happy with this decision. Hillary should have gotten ALL of Michigan's delegates with ALL the votes! Truth be told, she was the only one that had her name on the ballot in that state! Obama conveniently did not put his name on the ballot, therefore he should get NO DELEGATES from that state! Looks like the DNC is obviously biased in favour of Obama. Pelosi and Dean...we hate you!

May 31, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  22. John E Lexington KY

Hmmmm, so Obama withdraws from the primary because he knew he'd lose, then is awarded delegates – at 1/2 votes so that her advantage is cut in half. Give him credit, Obama played it so he could claim she broke the rules while grabbing delegates though he received no votes. If he was on the other end of this garbage, there would be loud cries of racism. This is his new politics. Looks like the old boss to me. I hope Clinton takes it to the convention. Awarding delegates with no basis in votes, or the Texas situation where she won the votes then he grabbed more delegates may be clever, but it's lousy democracy. Being mixed race doesn't cameoflage maneuvers worthy of Nixon. And I will vote for him if I have to, but it doesn't bode well for his presidency, should he get one.

The Committee isn't punishing Michigan and Florida, it's punishing the Clinton campaign and the voters. You want to punish the politicians who moved the date up? Ban any Democratic pol who directly supported it from being a superdelegate. This is vote suppression, period. If McCain carries these states the Committee will have themselves to blame.

May 31, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  23. Erik

I understand that we live in a democracy where everyone's vote should count. But why is it that at the beginning of the race no one cared that Michigan and Florida's votes wouldn't count? Only now that Clinton needs a miracle to win the nomination are the Clinton supporters crying foul. Maybe those Clinton supporters should stop to think that instead of blaming the Democratic Party not allocating the votes the way they would like, they should blame the states who knowingly broke party rules 4 months ago. Don't break a rule and then when things don't work out for you going crying that people aren't being represented fairly.

May 31, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  24. Bez

Ickes can do whatever he wants he won't go anywhere obama is the nominee and he as been since NC.
    hillary get over it get out please we want to unite and beat john mccain

May 31, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  25. Kyle

My name is Kyle from Michigan. I have just watched the DNC rules committee disproportionally allocate delegates. I don't believe that I am half a person so why should only have of my vote count. Now I would accept being half a vote or half of a person if the delegate were separated according to the actual vote held here in Michigan. I fully support you taking this all the way to Denver and I hope you get further in the process because I WILL NOT vote for Mr. Obama in the name of party unity. I will most likely vote for some independent candidate or write in Hillary. Thank you for your support of the people of Michigan who were not represented by by the ruling or no longer adequately represented by the Democratic Party. I am now reevaluating whether or not I can continue to be a democrat as this blows me away.

Good Luck,