May 31st, 2008

Full Michigan delegation with half-vote to be seated by Dems

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Democratic National Committee's Rules and Bylaws
Committee on Saturday voted to seat all Michigan delegates to its convention, giving each a half-vote and dividing them to give Hillary Clinton a slight edge over Barack Obama.

The 19-8 vote gives 69 pledged delegates to Clinton and 59 to frontrunner Obama - each with half a vote because Michigan was penalized, like Florida, for moving its primary ahead in the campaign season.

Clinton adviser and RBC member Harold Ickes said, "Mrs. Clinton has instructed me to reserve her rights to take this to the Credentials Committee."

Filed under: DNC • Michigan
  1. BOB IN RICHMOND,VA

JUST PLAIN OLD SORE LOSER. ALWAYS CHANGING THE RULES AND NUMBERS TO ACCOMODATE HER. SHE IS A WTCH AND SHOULD NOT EVEN BE ON THE TICKET. IF SHE IS THE VP I WILL VOTE FOR McCAIN!!!!

May 31, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  2. Jessica, GA

Obama had to give her something, I hope she won't be demanding the V P spot soon.

May 31, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  3. Vig

Clinton should take this as far as she can. Personally, I think Obama should be disqualified from a nomination process due to his 20 year membership in a racist, White-hating church. How can someone like this even be considered for the Presidency? Now we hear he is resigning from his church – he does everything to politically ingratiate the voters – he should have resigned 20 years ago. I am totally disgusted.

May 31, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  4. Paula Moreno

I am an African American woman who began participating in the primary campaign as a supporter of Hillary Clinton. After the very first primary debate, I changed my support to Barack Obama.

Every since Barack Obama came on the scene and showed the American people that he was an electable candidate, Senator Clinton has had a spirit of dishonesty, deception, and division during her campaign. I had faith in her "experience", her ability to bring us out of this economic recession that is upon us and bring us out of the war. But her divisive politics and a pseudo maximization of African American alliances for her own benefit, showed me that she is not the HONEST DIPLOMAT this country needs to move us forward, create unity in the world, and restore our relationships domestically.
    With her suggestion for a gas tax, and this most recent situation with claiming the delegates of MI and FL after their violation to vote early – something she did NOT oppose when she thought she was winning - shows me that she does not only think that the American people are stupid, but that she is in it to win it – she's not in it for us, she's in it for HER.

I changed my support to Obama.

It has always been obvious to us, African Americans, that Hillary Clinton had a sense of entitlement because of her color, her gender, her position, her marriage and her "political seniority". And now that we, the American people, have a candidate that is a good candidate – regardless of his color – she is MAD, as if this was hers from the beginning.

Well. I do not support her. I will not support her anymore. The Clinton name has been smeared because of her and Bill's blatant demonstration of an innate feeling of entitlement and superiority over African American people.

May 31, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  5. Michael

It is done, now can we come together as a party, rally behind the nominee and win the White House. I hope and pray Hillary Clinton will see that fighting this all the way to the convention will do nothing but further divide the party and hand John McCain the White House. We as Democrats must learn from this, try to make it better so we don't go thru this in four years, unite and put a democrat in the White House. Let us stop with the personal attacks on the candidates, focus on the issues between the Democrats and Republicans and put a Democrat in the White House.

I will agree this was not a perfect solution but we live in an imperfect world so it is unrealistic to expect a perfect solution. I am not for Clinton or Obama, I am for a Democrat, this is about us as a party not Clinton or Obama. Voting for McCain simply out of anger does not solve any problems, it only proves to the Republicans right in that we cannot come together for a common cause as a party. I ask all posters to this blog to stand with me when I say, let us now unite behind whoever the nominee will be and win the White House. Let us not descend into feelings of anger, division and retaliation, let us rise up, say with pride that we are Democrats and win the White House in November.

I pray for unity, I pray for cooler heads to prevail and I pray we can win the White House in November and put either Clinton or Obama in the White House. Anything less and we prove the Republicans right about our party and that is we are divisive and cannot rally behind a common cause.

May 31, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  6. Kimberly

I am behind you Hillary all the way. I live in Denver and want you to be our nominee. Hillary OR McCain

May 31, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  7. Anon.

Rather than reserving Hillary's right to go to the credentials committee, Mr. Ickes might as well argue for reserving her right to be on the McCain ticket. With her support for Mr. McCain as Commander in Chief and all her attempts to divide the Democratic party on one hand, and with John Mccain coming out vociferously to defend the former first lady at every available opportunity on the other, a McCain-Clinton ticket may well be the "dream ticket" to unite Democrats who care about the party more than the Clintons while respecting Hillary's birthright to be on the ticket, come what may.

May 31, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  8. Lenny

RIGHT DECISION.

May 31, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  9. young obama supporter

I hope she didn't think that she was going to prevail from this. Now whats going to be her argument to stay in after tuesday.

May 31, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  10. Kjetil

I dont see why Clinton should get all that delegates even if half when she was only one that broke the rules. And now they complaine, because they think Obama should get 0? What is in their minds is what im wondering. That they dont applause since they get so much more than what going agains rules normaly should mean, but instead talk about taking this further too rip Obama from no votes in Michigan even if the democrats in Michigan has commed with this compromise is disapointing. I hope the Clintons soon are finish in politics together with the sircus that are around them.

May 31, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  11. LIZ

Ickes is right!! This is not democracy. Obama is getting delegates from Michigan when he withdrew his name from the ballot. Why would he deserve any delegates at all? My vote for Hillary Clinton has been disregarded and treated as meaningless. The Democratic Party is losing me as their supporter in November.

May 31, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  12. kenny cole

obama is still our nominee

May 31, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  13. Ola, Chicago

I followed the deliberations of the RBC and I believe this is a fair resolution of these disputes- Michigan and Florida. I hope both campaigns should sheath their sword in the interest of party unity. I also think the Clinton team should be grateful for getting something out of what was essentially flawed elections.

May 31, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  14. Valerie McKenna

I'm done! I've been a loyal democrat since I was 18 years of age. No more. From the bias in the media against Hillariy Clinton., to this rediculous archaic Rules Committee, to the Obama superdelegates and senators calling for Hillary to resign before the race is finished; I am done as a democrat. By the way, how dare they! How dare anyone call for Hillary to resign from this race before all the votes are in. But the Obama camp seems to be good at that. He and his high profile supporters (MOST OF ALL THE MEDIA) can pull all the tricks out of their hats that they want. It still doesn't make him ready. He is just not ready! I will not vote for him. I've heard others say they are voting for McCain. While I cannot go that far, I will, never vote for Obama. If you think I'm alone, think again.

May 31, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  15. edward

i'm from florida , i was aware that it was agreed that if the primary's date were moved that the votes wouldnt count , hillary agreed then when it appears that she ws losing she decided to chnge her mind .i wll admit i don't like hillary , she is duplicitous , and i do feel she cnnt b trusted , she lied in her book and in 2speeches and then says she misspoke , she lied , my candidate is obama ,we need a change and hillary is nt a change , reagan , bush , clinton ,bush , and clinton again ,no lets not and say we did ,when it occurred to me obama might lose , i did become very angry ,and i thought i wld vote for mcsame ,i then looked at the bigger picture ,and i decided even though i don't care for hillary , that if she won i would vote for her.we must take back the white house ,we must end this neverending war that we cnnt win , macinsane says we wll nt surrender , in a typical war we wld kick anybody to sleep and then go home , but this is nt a typical war , its a urban war where we usually don't know who the enemy is until it is too late , remember vietnam ,we didnt win there ,guerrilla warfare ,mcinsame ws there he knows what that was like ,oh no he doesnt , he ws a pilot ,mccain is a hero and i applaud his survival of the pow camp , i also applaud the fact that he appears to have comeback without being mentally unbalanced, like soo many other veterans ,i know a few guys that still are'nt right in their minds , just think of the soldiers in iraq ,think abt the ones that r committing suicide now the # ws 108,we must end this war and we must put the right man in the white house to do it vote obama

May 31, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  16. Kyle

How did Obama get some of Michigan's delegates when HE WASN'T ON THE BALLOT?? Wow, they have really screwed up the democratic party.

May 31, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  17. dede

I think they made the right decision. Obama could have won in Michigan anyway or at least have been 5 points behid

May 31, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  18. Judy DiVietro

Why did Obama get any at all since Clinton won the popular vote in Florida and withdrew his name from Michigan! He has real nerve to complain about her since he's been caught in many lies and controversies. I think the media should be kinder to Clinton and stop it with him! Keep plugging Hillary and hopefully the truth will come out!

May 31, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  19. R

A 30 member panel comprised of mostly Hillary supporters ruled to support the results but yet Hillary is threatening to tak this to the Credentials Committee. Talk about party unity, Hillary. Your supporters ruled against your desires as they collectively and genuinely love the Democratic party. Please fall in line with your supporters and begin thinking about the party instead of your own desires. Our country is at stake here and your selfishness will cost us the election. Most Americans want to begin our campaign against the Republicans. NOW!!!!

May 31, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  20. Towhappy

Just as I would expect from the Clintons as well as her supporters.......underhanded threats.

What she doesn't understand is that most have lost the fear of the Clintons. The Clinton machine has effectively been downsized to the point of irrevalence. Yes, she still has the power to 'cause confusion and stir up problems, but over all, if 90% of the DNC turn full fledge on the Clintons due to her continuing to invoke havoc on the process, her name will be like the plague and she might as well switch parties because she will be treated as a republican.

May 31, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  21. Concern

This is the best thing that can happen..good job dems..send her back home..she thinks she own dem party

May 31, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  22. Mirta

I am outraged. My vote didn't count.

Dems for McCain '08

May 31, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  23. Kingbee

The 19-8 vote gives 69 pledged delegates to Clinton and 59 to frontrunner Obama, Why?

Shold be 50/50

May 31, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  24. TonyNJHC

Enough is enough! Hillary For Dem Pres.or Independent Third Party.

May 31, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  25. Foots

Thanks for handing the fl. vote to John Mcbush. As a life time Democrat and never missed voting for the Democratic nominee, I will note vote for Barach Obomba. He will not be elected president so we will have four more years of the worse adminstration this country has had in the past 60 years. Now Mrs Clinton can truefully say we gave this election away by nominating someone who is not qualified to be president.

May 31, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |