May 31st, 2008

Full Michigan delegation with half-vote to be seated by Dems

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Democratic National Committee's Rules and Bylaws
Committee on Saturday voted to seat all Michigan delegates to its convention, giving each a half-vote and dividing them to give Hillary Clinton a slight edge over Barack Obama.

The 19-8 vote gives 69 pledged delegates to Clinton and 59 to frontrunner Obama - each with half a vote because Michigan was penalized, like Florida, for moving its primary ahead in the campaign season.

Clinton adviser and RBC member Harold Ickes said, "Mrs. Clinton has instructed me to reserve her rights to take this to the Credentials Committee."

Filed under: DNC • Michigan
  1. lexel

I forgot to state Miss Donna Brazile's wisdom about Michigan was very commendable. It was my laugh-today moment. You don't need my respect but I want you to know you have it. You're a source of democracy and equality to be reckoned with. Absolutely breath-taking!!! I am relieved DNC has you.

May 31, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  2. BILL M

IF CLINTON GEGTS THE NOMINATION AFTER VIOLATING THE DNC DECISION THEN I WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN, NOT HER.

May 31, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  3. Nprof@cox.net

This ruliing by the DNC violates the constitutional rights of 1/2 the voters in Michigan and Florida!!!!

I refuse to remain a part of a party that does not recognize the votes of 1/2 their people in two different states!

Senator Obama should not receive any votes in Michigan because he chose not to place his name on the ballots! In Florida, Hillary Clinton was the clear winner and Senator Obama is not entitled to 1/2 the votes!!!!

This is a travesty to the constitution and rights of American citizens in a Presidential election!

I will no longer vote wholly as a Dem – I will vote as an Indep – and choose my candidates very carefully – I will also be sure to campaign for only those in the DNC who supported the rights of all voters in Michigan and Florida!!!!

This is a sad day for our country – the voters let their voices be heard in January – and we will again let our voices be heard in Senate races and local elections around the country. Those who have supported this DNC control of states voter rights will no longer have a sure foot just because they are Dems!!!! It is time to clean the DNC house!!!

I am out of here and so are lot of my friends!

May 31, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  4. Cooper

This seems like a fair outcome, looking from the outside. Of course there had to be a penalty, or every state would move their primaries as they wished. I know if I was a voter in those states I would take my anger up with the people that made the decision to ignore the rules. Clinton supported this initial decision until it turned out that she needed those states. That is disingenuous.

May 31, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  5. elwyn alexander

IT'S OVER HILL,.....GO HOME AND TAKE BILL AND CHELL WITH YOU.!

May 31, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  6. jeff - Dallas

Clinton's supporters still feel that all of the delgates should be awarded, despite the fact that they agreed before the primary that both states should be sanctioned. They say one thing, then act towards another when it serves them politically. That is NOT what we need as a President of the United States.

Obama 08

May 31, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  7. K. W. Foster

The Constitution considered slaves 3/5 of a person, but the Democrat party considers the people of Florida and Michigan only 1/2 of a person.

May 31, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  8. Christian

good decesion i guess, i live in Mi. the primary wasn't close to fair at all. nice job from the DNC

May 31, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  9. Animal Farmish

With the delegations from MI and FL now decided to the satisfaction of those states parties, it is now "the responsibility" of Hillary Clinton, her campaign,and her supporters who threaten the DNC with "voter hostage" to bring party unity for a White house run.

I'll say this again. The "burden of responsibility" resides with Hillary, her campaign, and her supporters to now coalesce around the Democratic Party's presumptive nominee.

May 31, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  10. njvoter

What a surprise Clinton doesn't get what she wants so forget the party it all about Clinton

May 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  11. Lorna

FINALLY. We can begin the general election campaign.
    Let's unify the party and move on. Think about it, Hillary supporters, you would not be voting for the good of this country if you give your vote to McBush or stay at home. Look what the last 7 years has brought us. We can't stand 4 more years with the Repugnants!!

May 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  12. Mecca

This is outrageous! What kind of Democracy is this party selling it's members? I firmly agree with Harold Ickes in that the party has “hijacked” the will of voters and strongly believe Hillary Clinton should appeal this decision.
    The Democratic Party and the media, have been blinded by the rhetorics of a contender who lacks the experience to run the US at a time of such crisis! Obama will not win the elections this november because the Republicans, who have done their job, have been guarding their precious investigations regarding who the real Obama is and will expose them all in November if he is the chosen candidate. The Republicans are celebrating tonite, they won again! I am ashamed of my Democratic Party!
    Mecca, Puerto Rico

May 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  13. Karrie

Hillary got what she wanted; they seated both delegations. So she should not have any complaints. You cannot always have everything your way.

May 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  14. Gary

So much for integrity with the democrats. They said they will not be seated and once again they lied through their teeth. It is obvious that the democratic party is the party of lies and deceit.

May 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  15. edgar, duluth,georgia

completly wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! the democrats are going to lose both michigan and florida because of the stupidity of this panel....
    welcomeback to the white house republicans.......

May 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  16. The Lady

I think the decision was fair. Well done DNC

May 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  17. Gerald - London, Uk

This decision is fair to any open minded person. Clinton supporters are so sentimental about this issue that they 've lost any sense of fairness.

How could anybody in their right mind ask the committee to reinstate the entire delegates and pretend as if no rules were broken?

If they care so much about disenfranchisement of voters now, it 's fair to ask why the states didn't care about the same disenfranchisement when they decided to break the rules, knowing very well the price they had to pay.

May 31, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  18. The Freedome Gnome

As a onceClinton supporter, I would advise her to pull as graciously as possible and fully endorse Obama. If not, a loss to McCain would be faulted her way and end her political career.

May 31, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  19. CHRIS

WOW...HILLARY CLINTON IS DELUSIONAL...SHE STILL IS NOWHERE IN REACH OF THE NUMBER NEEDED TO BE THE NOMINEE...
    ITS OVER HILLARY
    GET A CLUE
    OBAMA '08

May 31, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  20. Maria Komprath

Well, I kiss and say good by to the democratic party. This is all but not
    democracy. Shame to this party and to the American Constitution who lets bureaucracy to take away the peoples' rights. Why would a party need delegates and superdelegates? This is worse than Communism.

May 31, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  21. Marie in California

What a dump job the DNC did on the people of Florida and Michigan! It stinks to high heaven! Good grief! It's enough to make me become a Republican!

Mostly, I see it as Soros, Dean, Pelosi, Kennedy and the other Far Left loonies still trying to hustle Obama into the candidacy without (hopefully) offending Democratic voters toooo much....even if they know Obama can't possibly win in November.

Well, if Obama is the nominee, then my Democratic vote will definitely go to McCain in the general election.....and I'll be sure to have both Hillary and McCain bumper stickers on the back of my car.

May 31, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  22. Kathy

This decision is extremely disappointing. I am very unhappy with the DNC Rules committee, and their obvious bias twords Obama. It is completely outragous that a republican govonor was allowed to make a decision that resulted in penalties for the deomcratic canditates. I hope that the voters in Michigan and Florida speak very loudly in November and vote republican, if we don't I fear the democrats in power will never hear the people of the party when they vote. I will not vote for Obama even if it means electing John McCain.

May 31, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  23. bernie

wait until november and see who gets the last laugh.i hope the democratic party and the press takes the responsibilty for MCcain victory in the fall.obama will find out what it is really like to go negative.why did it take twenty yeary to leave that racist church?he thinks people will forget obout his beliefs.i have been a democrat all my life but not this time.i care about my country more then just putting somebody in office i don't know anything about.i hope all hillary people stick together this fall and show the dnc who runs the show.

May 31, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  24. Connie Sturgeon

I was very sadden by the way grown ups were acting. Also Mr.Ickes having to swear was very uncalled for, I am sure Mrs.Clinton did not tell him to do that.I believe as her campaign is always asking Senator Obama to denounce behavior she does not approve of she should denounce Mr.Ikes. There was no place for that on national television.

Connie from Indiana

May 31, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  25. Alistair

Justice was served Mrs. Clinton. For the good of the The Democratic Party you should respect the decision not trying to destroy the Party.

May 31, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |