May 31st, 2008

Obama campaign e-mail cites GOP anxiety

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/10/art.obamaor.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Obama's campaign sent a fundraising e-mail highlighting Republican anxiety in the 2008 race."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - As Democratic leaders began their meeting on Saturday to resolve the dispute over the Florida and Michigan delegations, Barack Obama's deputy campaign manager Steve Hildebrand sent supporters a fundraising e-mail that pointed to Republican anxiety over Obama's possible impact at the polls in November.

In an e-mail titled "Democrats Win Landslide Victory," Republican former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist wrote "I have a real fear of waking up to this headline after the elections this fall," describing concerns among GOP officials over Obama's campaign infrastructure.

"In key states, news accounts indicate Democrats are outpacing Republicans registering voters. We also know Barack Obama's campaign is utilizing the Internet to raise record amounts of money to support his campaign and Democrats nationally," Frist wrote. "... all in the hope that new voters and record resources will produce a Democrat landslide victory this fall."

"There's so much at risk, and conservatives I talk with from all across the country are feeling the rumblings of 'what could be,'..." Frist wrote.

Hildebrand wrote that Frist was "right to be worried," and highlighted the fundraising deadline for the month of May, which ends at midnight, adding that this marked "the last chance to have a meaningful impact on the final three primary contests..."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • GOP
  1. CJ

I'm glad he feels this way

May 31, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  2. RONNIE

As a registered demorcrate I will not vote for Obama

May 31, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  3. Georgia

Not if Obama is the Candidate. It will split the Democrats. We will vote for Hillary anyway. DNC and Superdelegates – pay attention. Don't blow it again this year!

May 31, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  4. Phil Newton

Worry, baby.

OBAMA 08

May 31, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  5. Bitter Tommy Hussein in St. Louis

I guess this shows that the "Obama is unelectable" argument is garbage, doesn't it? The other party certainly doesn't seem to believe that.

May 31, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  6. Bridgette - PA

BARACK OBAMA / SEBELIUS-08!

May 31, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  7. NO "Party" vote for me this time!

The DNC lost me this time. THIS time (only the second time), I don't vote party — this time I vote for the country I love and have ALWAYS been proud of.

WHO ARE YOU REALLY, SENATOR OBAMA?
    I happen to live in So. Cal., and yesterday I visited the Reagan Library here, which I’d planned to do for over year. I also remembered that, even though I'm a lifelong Democrat, I voted for Reagan. And seeing and watching him in action in film and photo, I remembered why.

He was a moderate politically, but he was a REALIST and packed a punch when it mattered: He simply WALKED OUT of discussions where the Soviets (then the perceived "terrorists") were trying to sabotage his defense strategies to protect Americans.
    He refused to merely "talk" to those wanting to tear down or impede democracy. And after he made sure that America was strong miliarily — only then was he able to shout: "MR. GORBACHOV, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL! " And down it came!

Suddenly I remembered why I voted for him— HE WAS A MAN OF SUBSTANCE — A REALIST — NOT FULL OF EMPTY RHETORIC
    Only Clinton and McCain come even remotely close! WHO ARE YOU REALLY, SENATOR OBAMA?

May 31, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  8. vic nashville,Tn

Obama can’t close the deal
    So Race is not over
    Hillary 08

May 31, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  9. Relevant

I think everyone with common sense, political experience, and who was awake for the last seven years know this in their hearts: Obama is going to DEMOLISH McCain in the general. The GOP is going to get what's coming to them, in spades!

May 31, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  10. KK

YAYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 31, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  11. Willy

We love obama. He fills out an empty suit well

May 31, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  12. RJ, CA

There will be NO Democratic Landslide This Year! The DNC lost me - and millions - this time. THIS time we don't vote party — this time we vote for the country we love and have ALWAYS been proud of.

Suddenly I remembered why I voted for him— and why millions will NOT vote for OBAMA. Reagan WAS A PERSON OF SUBSTANCE — A REALIST — NOT FULL OF EMPTY RHETORIC.

Only Clinton and McCain come even remotely close!

May 31, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  13. rose, texas

u've got to remember not all democrats r going 2 vote 4 obama. alot of people will not vote @ all r vote 4 mccain. i'm a hillary supporter & will not vote 4 obama.the way they did hillary no way . democrats think that this party is coming 2gether in nov they r mistaken.

May 31, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  14. Yes - Si, se puede

The Democratic Party has a National Mandate. The world is watching. IF the Democratic Party is wise, it will unify behind Obama as a unifying force, organized in all 50 states of the union, that, if unified, will CARRY LONG SHIRT-TAILS in sweeping local, state and federal, especially Presidential, elections. Si, se puede!!! Let's change the politicalization of American politics to reflect the civic leadership need to address the significant issues of our day.

No more Bush. No McCain. No more special interests. No more war or military industrial complex. No more cronyism and divide and conquer by pitting one group against another. Unity. Mandate. Sweep.

May 31, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  15. Bill

Republicans should lower their heads in shame for what they have done to America.

May 31, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  16. amir bather

Barack or Hillary in 08!!!!!

May 31, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  17. martin

i got my e-mail and donated right away

May 31, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  18. one nation under god!!!!

lol.Hes the only one afraid.This boy dont have a chance

May 31, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  19. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

OK – let me get this straight.

The GOP is "afraid" we will NOT vote for 8 more years of "W" (war-monger) McBushie?

Duh !!!!

May 31, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  20. Lovely in VA

Ok guys, now is the time to show McCain the strength of this movement. One of the reasons I love this campaign is because we are not hounded to give, give, give money. There have been very few requests for donations and this is one of those times! Show your support and no amount is too small !! Your money is used very wisely and is well spent.

Obama 08/12

May 31, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  21. Desmond Sequeira

The Republicans knew long ago that OBAMA is the Democratic Nominee.
    What's taking the Democrats so painstakingly long?

May 31, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  22. j kothary, Blaine, WA

very true and very understandable.....

writing is on the wall for all to read....

May 31, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  23. Ben

DNC committee members are so stupid asking representatives of the respective camps stupid questions. DNC rules committee caused all this problems together with the ineffective Democratic Reps in Florida..DNC...a sad day for you!

May 31, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  24. USAF Staff Sergeant

"We also know Barack Obama's campaign is utilizing the Internet to raise record amounts of money"

Haha! They make it sound like the internet is some new fangled unknown evil tool.

Of course the GOP is scared. They can't seem to win any election these days.

May 31, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  25. Ian

Their fears are rational and well-founded. Obama's gonna trounce McCain.

May 31, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |