June 2nd, 2008

McCain praises Clinton’s campaign

John McCain told supporters Monday he admires the campaign Hillary Clinton has run.

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (CNN) – During a town hall meeting on Monday afternoon in the historical home of the Grand Ole Opry, John McCain attacked Barack Obama on no less than six different topics, ranging from the Illinois senator’s single visit to Iraq in early 2006 to not supporting the nominations of Supreme Court justices John Roberts and Samuel Alito.

However, McCain had nothing but kind words for Hillary Clinton whose candidacy has been declared all but dead.

“I have known Senator Clinton, I admire her and I respect her,” said McCain in response to a questioner who noted that Clinton is still in the race. “She has inspired generations of American women to believe that they can reach the highest office in this nation.”

“I admire the campaign that she has run, she deserves a great deal of credit,” he added. “A few of us who have been around politics for a while learned a lesson way back in 1992 that you better never count a Clinton out of any race.”

McCain said that they have had their differences on the Senate floor, but drew applause from the Nashville crowd for emphasizing his respect for Clinton.

Clinton has insisted that if she fails to win the Democratic nomination, she would work with Obama to unite the party ahead of November’s election. But there is no doubt that if her campaign fails, McCain will – and may already – be targeting her white, working class and older voters Obama has had trouble winning over.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Amy, PR

Your threats are old and seem to be as old as you. If you want your grandchildren and great grandchildren to die in Iraq then you will vote for McCain

June 2, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  2. Dan

Of course he likes her because with her gone, there won't be any distractions.

June 2, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  3. JC

Good job! Senator McCain!
    You can work across the aisle with not only the Clintons but also Ted Kennedy and Joe Lieberman.
    We need to work together to reshape our nation.

June 2, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  4. FLORIDA

Go back to the hole you crawled from, Smith. Democrats don't need vermin like you at the November contest.

June 2, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  5. Jim from Florida

You are right! You have been a democrat because you are and you were a follower, not by conviction. So, I would strongly advice you to go back and think twice. We cannot allow another republican to sit in the oval office and continue with the bad politic they have been doing for eight years.

June 2, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  6. Carol

SmithtownJim you are falling for McCain's ploy hook line and sinker if you did that. Please don't. No matter how you feel about Barrack Obama personally, even as a die hard Hilary supporter I have to say that a Democrat,ANY DEMOCRAT is better than the continuation of Bush's policies for FOUR MORE YEARS!!!!

That said if Hilary isn't Obama's VP I sincerely hope she'll serve in his cabinet and be in charge of healthcare or something of that nature. And I think it will happen.

June 2, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  7. David

Seantor McCain,
    Obama too has inspired generations of Americans, blacks, mixed races and the whole youth that anything including running for the hiest office is possible. I used to think that you were a mavrik senator. This is nothing but a cheap shot. I wonder if you sleep at night these days without blaming senator Obama.
    Geez

June 2, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  8. NickNas

LOL now he is pandering to the Hillabots. In Reality I will wager that less than 30,000 of the tantrum kiddies will actually vote for McSame. Don't forget..these are the same VOCAL but extremely CHEAP supporters who whined so much but did little el$e to help her.

June 2, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  9. kj

Thanks John, and since the Dem. party has seen fit to reallocate delegates from votes cast in Michigan for Hillary Clinton to a Chicago back room jerk politician , you'll be getting my very first republican vote.

Race is not the issue–honesty and integrity are Obama has neither.

June 2, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  10. John Oni

Mr SmithtownJim,

Vote for issues, not for colour, if voting for Mccain gives your conscience a clean slate, go for it, but if you are leaving your party to vote for the republican, because your candidate or colour didn't win, take a look at the mirror , are you still proud of yourself?probably not!!!

June 2, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  11. Tamara

Democratic Party watch out!!!!! As a Hillary supporter and a democrat all my life I am so upset with the way Hillary has been treated that I am waying my options. McCain is not your typical Republican and there is plenty of footage showing him standing with us on many issues. Do not think that the party will come together this time, this is a different day and time. Hillary should be President and if not President then Vice President. Think hard or she might just end up on McCains ticket. Obama has shown me nothing in the election and if he really want to make a stand PUT HER ON THE TICKET.

June 2, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  12. John

YOu are an idiot my friend. vote for issues. If you vote for McBush, you should go to Iraq! Don't send my kid and i like hillary too but have a brain

June 2, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  13. Anna

I would never vote for John McCain.

John McCain's trying to pander to us Clinton supporters but I will not allow him to run a 3rd Bush term.

He's going to take away my right to choose... I don't think so. Once other women find out that McCain's going to take away our right to choose, no one will vote for McSame. McCain has gotten so many things wrong, including his continued persistence with wars.

I'm voting for Obama all the way. We need a democrat to win in 2008.

June 2, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  14. W.H. Thomas

So..... Hope you like paying $5.00 worth of gas in 09...And please spit in my face again Mr. Smithtown Jim. I am a Police Officer who also served 2 tours in Iraq as an activce duty Marine and one in Afghanistan as a Reservist. I can tell you there are a lot of servicemen really happy about you keeping our troops there just because you are mad Hillary didnt win. Get over it.

June 2, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  15. rachel

CNN POST Go McCain go after us hillary supporters who no longer have a home in the democratic party we have been called ignorant racist, and uneducated by our own party leaders our voices don't matter and Obama surrogates and supporters say to heck with us they don't need us . I will look more into your policies. I may cast my vote for a republican for the first time. (and no this is no operation caos) as over confidante Obama supporters like to suggest.)

June 2, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  16. Democrat Regardless!

I see and understand what McCain is trying to do here, he knows who his opponent is there is little doubt Obama will be fighting for the presidency in November. A nice little voting block for McCain to win would be the disenfranchised Hillary supporters who are so angry their #1 choice was brushed off that they will exact their revenge by voting against the party.

However he must be careful to prevent himself becoming anti-Obama and stick to anti-Democrat. By praising Hillary but attacking Obama he runs the risk of being branded a racist.

The Hillary supporters need to know that the differences between her and Obama are there yes but they are NOTHING compared to the differences between her and McCain.

June 2, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  17. Sharon Minnesota

I'm right there too John. After 30+ years of voting Democratic, I'm going to vote for John McCain in 2008, November. I'd love to see McCain ask Hillary to join his ticket. He would have the whole thing sewn up the day after that announcement was made.

Either way, no Obama for this older white lady.

June 2, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  18. Toot

McCain will win over many of Senator Clinton's supporters because we know that Obama will only damage the US further and there are still skeletons in his closet!!

June 2, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  19. Mike in Calgary

McCain is RIGHT! Hillary has run a much better campaign than John McCain.

McCain and Hillary both skipped the "Required Reading" or the Intelligence Report and voted to initiate the War in Iraq. They both favoured a short term Gas Tax Holiday that might save motorist $27.00 and would pull the rug out from under the construction jobs on highway and bridge projects – all the more shocking and shortsighted in view of their promises after the I-35 Bridge Collapse in Minneapolis last August. More "mere words" from John McCain and Hillary.

I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF McCAIN PICKED HILLARY FOR VP AS HIS RUNNING MATE! CAN YOU IMAGINE THE NEXT WAR THEY WOULD AUTHORIZE TO SQUANDER THOSE HEALTH CARE DOLLARS ON!

Mike

June 2, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  20. yes we can

ahhhh yesss, say good things about her to get her voters , nice move.

June 2, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  21. OregonianForObama

And you can count on the small number of insane clintonites who, despite your policies being almost 180 degrees away from both Clinton and Obama, believe somehow that you would be a better president than someone who won't go around repealing Roe v Wade, won't go around invading every country that looks at you funny, and won't help speed along the economy's downward spiral like you will. You can count on the support of 'democrats' who aren't really democrats at all. Anyone who holds any of the Democratic Party's ideals close to their heart could never vote for a George W Bush third term, and that's exactly what a McCain presidency would be. So go ahead, John, take the measly handful of crazed voters, the coalition built against you through years of your Boss's lies, deceit, torture and hate is more than strong enough to withstand a little biting at the heels by the insignificant and dishonorable people who 'switch sides' to vote for you.

June 2, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  22. michael

I'll give McCain my vote becuase the DNC thinks my vote is only worth half.

June 2, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  23. jason

sorry, but hillary can only talk tough to rally people against obama. She will be powerless, weak, and an easy quitter when it comes to uniting the party again. She will not succeed at changing a single person's mind, when it comes to getting her supporters to vote for Obama.

and it's not the contradiction of bashing Obama all this time to suddeny being in favor of him invalidating her original claim – no, it's because those of her supporters who have decided "mccain or hillary '08" relish negative emotion, and she will lose their attention if she suddenly becomes positive. If she wants them to support Obama, she will have to turn negative towards McCain – but they are like pre-school pals, so that won't happen.

June 2, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  24. Allan

Will the people realize that Romney wants to burn social security to the ground !!

June 2, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  25. Jim Richmond

Another Democrat for McCain.

June 2, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |