June 2nd, 2008

McCain praises Clinton’s campaign

John McCain told supporters Monday he admires the campaign Hillary Clinton has run.

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (CNN) – During a town hall meeting on Monday afternoon in the historical home of the Grand Ole Opry, John McCain attacked Barack Obama on no less than six different topics, ranging from the Illinois senator’s single visit to Iraq in early 2006 to not supporting the nominations of Supreme Court justices John Roberts and Samuel Alito.

However, McCain had nothing but kind words for Hillary Clinton whose candidacy has been declared all but dead.

“I have known Senator Clinton, I admire her and I respect her,” said McCain in response to a questioner who noted that Clinton is still in the race. “She has inspired generations of American women to believe that they can reach the highest office in this nation.”

“I admire the campaign that she has run, she deserves a great deal of credit,” he added. “A few of us who have been around politics for a while learned a lesson way back in 1992 that you better never count a Clinton out of any race.”

McCain said that they have had their differences on the Senate floor, but drew applause from the Nashville crowd for emphasizing his respect for Clinton.

Clinton has insisted that if she fails to win the Democratic nomination, she would work with Obama to unite the party ahead of November’s election. But there is no doubt that if her campaign fails, McCain will – and may already – be targeting her white, working class and older voters Obama has had trouble winning over.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. chris

Jim you sound like a 36 year old child that doesnt know how to loose!
    If you want your kids and their kids fighting in a war then vote McCain!
    dont be a simple person!

June 2, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  2. Eric, Durham, NC

Oh poor Clinton supports....

Our candidate does not have a chance to win so we will go cry in our clinton colored Kool-Aid and vote for McCain.

You are some of the most simple minded crybabies I have ever seen.

Don't worry, I have been converting a few republicans and a few of my friends who don't vote to come out for Obama, your vote won't make that much of a difference. Have fun with John and losing in November...

I would vote for Clinton although I do not like her if BO did not get the nomination. I unlike you are not a self absorbed crybaby...

Good luck being a New Repuglicant...

June 2, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  3. Dr.G. P. Matthews

McCain is too old. He was in elementary school during WWII. This guy even said he actually can recall when Pearl Harbor was bombed in 1941.

Give us someone new..not some old ,grumpy so-called hero.

June 2, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  4. David in Illinois

Attack on one hand, praise on the other. Can this courting gesture be any more blatant? And could it be any more phoney? Democrats... especially Democratic women... don't fall for it. He doesn't stand for your interests. You might be angry and saddened at Hillary Clinton's imminent departure, but I sure hope you're ready to vote your interests, and those of your children. And John McCain isn't about your kids' future. Unless of course you want your young sons and daughters to be drafted into the military to fight his 100-year wars.

June 2, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  5. s.boat

I Will Vote For Hillary When She Stops Wearing Pant Suits!

June 2, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  6. Army Vet from the 60's

You got my vote too McCain if Hillary doesn't make the nomination, which of course she won't. I won't accept her as a vice president on Obama's ticket either. She's too good to be his vice! Spare all of the Hillary people and her, the indignation!
    I've been a democrat all of my life and this is the first election I will vote republican. At least McCain has character and the ability to lead a country in war time. Obama is a translucent and empty shell. Good luck democrats, you'll need it.

June 2, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  7. Terrence (Winston Salem, NC)

Hmmm. Nuff said.

Well, I guess he should thank her since all her supporters will be voting for him.

June 2, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  8. Susie

Instead of inspiring this young woman, Hillary Clinton's campaign has saddened me. I now realize that this country is not ready for a female leader and that we find it easier to discuss issues of race than gender. Clinton has been treated horribly and, as an educated woman, I'm ashamed of this process. Obama is not the better candidate, but he will be the nominee.

June 2, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  9. Vig

Guess what folks, if Obama gets the nomination, John McCain will be the next President. If you think the people who voted for Bush in the last election are going to vote for a bull slinger like Obama, I have an oil well in my back yard for sale.

June 2, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  10. s.boat

Hillary Has Been Given The Nod To Get Behind Barack!

June 2, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  11. LettuceB1

Too bad McBush voted this year, against woman getting protection from wage discrimination in the work place. All woman need to get paid equally is "more experience and education." I guess he's got to pander for the womans vote some how!

June 2, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  12. Ulese

Roberts and Alito are fascists. We need someone like Obama to prevent the Supreme Court from becoming a Kangaroo Court.

June 2, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  13. Army Vet from the 60's

This is a clear indication that McCain wants the votes that she represents Mr. Kollie! Get real!
    He knows she is out and Obama is in. Where do you think he wants those votes of hers to go?!
    You got my vote McCain since Hillary lost the nomination due to nothing but trickery by the DNC and the press, and Obama's childish supporters. McCain can lead the country, Obama doesn't have a clue.

June 2, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  14. Leftist

McCain is a liberal conservative. If any of you young dumb Obama supporters understood history you would know that McCain has voted against republican bills many times. There is a reason conservative democrats will vote for McCain instead of Obama. This is why Hillary Clinton was the better canidate.

June 2, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  15. Jody Monroe

Hillary, is the Vanity Fair article about Bill that "BANANA PEEL" you've been waiting for??? Watch out, don’t slip!

June 2, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  16. Army Vet from the 60's

McCain you have my vote. No HIllary, no vote for the dems for me. Dem all of my life, first time I've voted republican.
    Good luck dems, you'll need it.

June 2, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  17. Kenneth Woodard

Mr. McCain, why should I vote for you? Will you bring peace to those who seek it? Will you create a medical system where good care can be received with reasonable cost? Will you be tough on corporate folk who don't play by the rules and scheme? Will you have an administration that brings pride to this country and not disdain?

If you promise to do this then sir you have my vote.

Thank you Mr. Mccain

June 2, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  18. I reject McCain, Louisville, KY

All you Hillary supporters have to be stupid to buy any of this crap....just plain stupid! Hillary supporters, if you are truly a democrat, then you know better

June 2, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  19. Cheryl L. Swaim

Well, if it takes $5.00 to get people to dump their gas guzzling SUVs, then so be it. You got your candidates mixxed up. Obama will not end the war in Iraq, and he'd be the first to institute the draft. McCain would never beat Hillary. I'm not so sure about Obama. He's a fake and a hypocrite.

June 2, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  20. Jody Monroe

Ring, Ring.

Obama: I’m calling to discuss offering you the VP position. The media’s been pushing.

Hillary: Yeah, I heard.

Obama: You know you don’t want to be my VP.

Hillary: Definitely not.

Obama: You know I don’t want you to be my VP.

Hillary: But we still have to discuss it.

Obama: Let’s don’t, and say we did.

Hillary: Good idea.

Obama: Bye.

Hillary: Bye.

Click.

Press Release: Obama and Hillary issued a joint statement saying that (policital mumble-jumble) and therefore Hillary did not wish to apply for VP.

June 2, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  21. Misty

Too Bad McCain and Republicans– You are Gonna get OBAMA!!! Our Future and President of the USA.

Cannot trash him like you all did the Clintons!!

Now you can praise Hillary and Bill as much as you want - but you will forget. Oh! did I say that you will say just like after Lieberman-Snake reminds you the diffrence between the Shia and Sunni/ Apples and Oranges– they are the same to you– Enemy.

June 2, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  22. Army Vet from the 60's

Dem all my life. Ist republican vote, for McCain. You don't smear my candidate all over the map disrespecting her like that and I'm talking to the DNC and Obama and his supporters. Hope you have a bad time of it dems.

June 2, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  23. madison

Right.

June 2, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  24. memefor obama

Mccain secretly wants hillary to win-cos then he may have a chance(just maybe) at winning the white house.

June 2, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  25. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

Of course, if McCain was running AGAINST Clinton, his tone would be a TAD different. Don't ya think?

He's basically kissing her butt and trying not to say ANYTHING that would be considered mean, as not to get the Clinton backers angry!

If Clinton were the Dem nominee, there would already be venom out.

June 2, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |