June 3rd, 2008

Carter to officially endorse Obama

Jimmy Carter, a superdelegate, has endorsed Obama .

Jimmy Carter, a superdelegate, has endorsed Obama .

(CNN) -
Former President Jimmy Carter, in a widely expected move, will endorse Barack Obama's presidential bid later Tuesday or early Wednesday.

Carter, a superdelegate who has frequently spoken favorably about Obama, told Britain’s Sky News last month that while he had not yet announced his decision publicly, after the last Democratic primary June 3, it would be time for Hillary Clinton to “give it up.”

He also said that Clinton “had a perfect right” to keep running – but that “a lot of the superdelegates will make a decision quite, announced quite rapidly, after the final primary on June 3."

The former president also told an interviewer last month that he believes Hillary Clinton would accept the vice presidential spot on the ticket, but that he did not believe such an offer would be made by Obama "because I don't see how it would help his ticket. I think he needs somebody like a [former Georgia Sen.] Sam Nunn, but I won't name others.”

Nunn, the former Georgia senator, is known for his foreign policy and national security expertise.

1. Valerie

I'm also an 'Informed voter from Florida' and I can't believe that you're calling Jimmy Carter the worst president we've ever had after 7 years of George W. Bush?

June 3, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  2. EDW

Um, no Informed Voter from Florida. The worst president ever is our current president. Obviously you are not soooo informed.

DEMOCRATS '08

June 3, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  3. Kris K from CA

Carter is right on this one. Obama will win the general and get more electoral votes sooner than anyone has in 60 years. He doesn't need or want the Clinton's on the ticket. He will not get anything done as they are interest only in themselves and are scene stealers. He knows that.
    OBAMA believe in yourself and don't let anyone scare you into accepting the Clinton's. It won't work out for you and you are the IMPORTANT one now. You have the power!
    More new voters will come on board and blast the Republican's right out of the way. Just watch.

June 3, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  4. Alison

well it was inevitable...lol

June 3, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  5. OMG- finally

The left wingers are madly in love and drooling over Obama.

This proves it.... Obama is the CLEAR winner. He is the MOST electable.

Jeez... I did not realize that until now.

Where Have I BEEN?

I missed the Hillary bashing. I missed how Hill was disrespected. I missed all the advantages given to Obama. I missed all the handicaps given to Hillary. I missed the media bias.

Wow...

June 3, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  6. Brian

I think that title is about to move to our current president once he leaves office in Jan

June 3, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  7. Desmond Sequeira

Despite the hobby of maligning him that many seem to indulge in, History will show that Carter was one of the best presidents the USA has had. Besides, he is much more respected today around the world than any living and most dead presidents. Check out the facts. Someone with his wisdom and his disposition and actions for PEACE is expected to support OBAMA.

June 3, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  8. Steven from Akron, Ohio

"The worst president we've ever had endorses Obama. Wow. Whoda thunk it?"

Considering George W. Bush has already endorsed McCain, I never really thought of it.

June 3, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  9. Mark

Informed voter from Florida, apparently your not well informed, the worst president we have ever had is currently sitting in office GWB...

Worst approval rating ever for a sitting president since those types of polls have been done...

Get your facts straight!

The Train is leaving ladies and gentlemen.... get aboard or get out of the way...

The Obama Express is leaving the station!!

June 3, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  10. BlameBarack

I find it very strange that people thing Obama won't be a good president. There was just as much sexism as racsism so please give both candidates a break. It is very petty. And the Clinton supporters who will be voting for McCain in the fall were probably gonna vote for him anyways, whether or not Clinton was on the ticket. The Republicans are sly. They are the enemies, not the Democrats. They are trynig to use every thing said in our election process against us in the fall. We all have to be smart and see through what they are doing. It's what they do every 4 years, and i have to admit they do it well. Lets not be fooled again Americans.

June 3, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  11. CONCERNED INDIVIDUAL

I THINK IT'S HIGH TIME THAT THE CLINTONS COME TO THEIR SENSES AND JUST GIE UP.

June 3, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  12. Iowabama

Carter sure has done a good job of predicting how this would unfold so far.

June 3, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  13. NGANGA,Austin TX

Bill Clinton is a former President who could NEITHER get his 2-term V-P elected NOR help his own wife win the democratic primaries.
    No wonder he said last night that that was the last time he will be involved in such kind of campaigning.
    Thank GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  14. Karl

I've made up my mind. I DON'T WANT HILLARY ON THE TICKET! I tried, but could not bear it.

June 3, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  15. CJ

"Informed Voter".... you just made the most UN-informed statement I've ever seen. Worst president? Then what do you call our current "mentally-challenged" president?

You are EXACTLY the uniformed, intellectually-challenged voter who has kept Hillary in this race for at least 2 months too long. I hope you vote for McCain.

June 3, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  16. RAFAEL

Please somebody please tell Obama to buy a book call
    EL PRESIDENTE NEGRO by poet Mr MANUEL DEL CABRAL, 1973 ,in the Book you will see that not body can stop Obama from winning,he will be
    the Black president of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,and the One that will help the world from destruction,the Barbaros went to Rome,OBAMA to USA

June 3, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  17. Rhea

Informed voter from florida June 3rd, 2008 3:34 pm ET

The worst president we've ever had endorses Obama. Wow. Whoda thunk it?

What world are you living in? Carter was one of the best......You "must" be a HRC or McShame fan.

June 3, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  18. Carlos Pinheiro

The World needs somone like Barack Obama!!!

carlos from portugal

June 3, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  19. luur

thank

June 3, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  20. Brian

I thought our worst president ever was still in office?

June 3, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  21. yes to the orator, no to the hard working public servant

I voted for Carter.... I'm 53.

How is he representative of new politics and the rhetoric of change?

Obama has the washington insiders install him.

Clinton is the real change... the real washington outsider with a platform of much needed change.

Obama is an orator.

June 3, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  22. S.M

The worst president we've ever had is the current fool we have in office now. Anyone who has any form of intelligence and has looked at the economy would know that we are near rock bottom. Is your comment based on fear of having an African American president; who isn't all African American or not knowing enough to make such an outrageous comment?

June 3, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  23. peter

glad to have you on board sir

June 3, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  24. Silvio

Excellent timing!

Hope more will join today and the our nominee is official tonight !!!

Obama 08

June 3, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  25. hot, GA

The worst president by far will be (King George) and he endorses John McWar-Same.

La,la,la,lllaaaa,la,,, sheeee, that’s the fat lady warming up, she is about to sing

June 3, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |