June 3rd, 2008

Carter to officially endorse Obama

Jimmy Carter, a superdelegate, has endorsed Obama .

Jimmy Carter, a superdelegate, has endorsed Obama .

(CNN) -
Former President Jimmy Carter, in a widely expected move, will endorse Barack Obama's presidential bid later Tuesday or early Wednesday.

Carter, a superdelegate who has frequently spoken favorably about Obama, told Britain’s Sky News last month that while he had not yet announced his decision publicly, after the last Democratic primary June 3, it would be time for Hillary Clinton to “give it up.”

He also said that Clinton “had a perfect right” to keep running – but that “a lot of the superdelegates will make a decision quite, announced quite rapidly, after the final primary on June 3."

The former president also told an interviewer last month that he believes Hillary Clinton would accept the vice presidential spot on the ticket, but that he did not believe such an offer would be made by Obama "because I don't see how it would help his ticket. I think he needs somebody like a [former Georgia Sen.] Sam Nunn, but I won't name others.”

Nunn, the former Georgia senator, is known for his foreign policy and national security expertise.

1. Elle

Sen. Clinton for president or McCain. NOBAMA or his extremist views and empty promises.

June 3, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  2. CYNTHIA in Redan, GA

I am happy that you finally backed this man. He is the most honest, trustworthy and truthful candidate running. Most of these negative writers are Republicans like Senator Clinton. Her husband was a Democrat but now I wonder. If Senator Obama puts Senator Clinton on the ticket my family and I will not vote and my husband and I have very large families. I truly want Senator Obama to win in November, but if Hillary Clinton is on the ticket he will surly lose.

June 3, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  3. Phil in KC

I agree that Clinton would not help the ticket. But I wonder if he can avoid offering it to her? That would really show some cojones.

June 3, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  4. vw

Good, they share the same view to talk to Hamas. It is for sure they can do nothing both for this party and for this country.

They ruin the democracy in this party.

June 3, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  5. Delaware Voter

Thank you, Mr President.

McCain = Bush 3rd term.

June 3, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  6. Dixie Chick supports Obama

Worst President in History is Bush McSame as McCain.

June 3, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  7. Kaci

If Hillary Clinton is anywhere near this ticket for the General Election, I will quit the democratic party. After running the nastiest campaign this side of Bush, how she can have the gall to say she will accept the vP? again as if she is "entitled" to it. She's trying to back Obama into a corner, but it won't work. She and Bill have spent the better part of 6 months playing the race card, using code words, calling this a "fairy tale" making sure southern whites (in addition to their built-ins) have nothing but hate for Obama – personal attack after personal attack. I dare you Obama-haters to match word for word – you're always claiming Obama says negative things about HRC. He has been nothing but a gentleman politician, while HRC and Bill have thrown the kitchen sink. While HRC and her surrogates have attacked his faith, his heritage, his wife and kids, death threats from racists at the beginning (and I'm sure still), had the otherside trying to link him to terrorism and Islam by virtue of his name, the list goes on – and he has withstood it all with grace and dignity. This is what we need in a president and vice-president. Grace, honor, dignity. the Clintons are as far away from those things as you can get.

June 3, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  8. Fonzi, an independent.

When an elder speaks, people should better listen.

June 3, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  9. Uhm, yeah.

Name like "Informed voter from florida", and taking a shot at Obama. That either means you're a McCain supporter, or a Hillary supporter. Please inform us why you think either of those people care about you beyond your electoral votes?

June 3, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  10. Sue

OF COURSE. A MAN WHO JUST TOLD NATIONAL SECRETS TO THE WORLD IS THE TYPE OF MAN WHO WOULD ENDORSE B.O.

CARTER'S BRAIN NEEDS TO BE X-RAYED, SAME AS SEN KENNEDY HAD HIS DONE.

June 3, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  11. Lemar

Its been long over due. Straight to the WHITE HOUSE Barack!!

June 3, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  12. 24 white male Louisville KY

Haha, Nick you are absolutely right!

Obama 08

June 3, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  13. Flag

Endorsed by Carter? Now I know I am voting for McCain. It is too bad that the worst president of the US doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

June 3, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  14. leon

Obama = Bush third term as the most inexperienced president and worst judgement. Look at what he has done to his church at least Bush is loyal to his friends but Obama he is only loyal to his own political ambition he would even through Michelle under the bus who cares I will be president and remarry

June 3, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  15. akanbi

Where is AL Gore?

June 3, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  16. Celtic

Obama will never be President

June 3, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  17. Fredrick-London

Time will tell!! Bill Clinton is/was the WORST President!!!
    He has even Contributed a lot to Hillary's lossing to Obama!!!
    (I strongly Suggest Bill Clinton NOT to join Obama/Hillary's Campaign)
    Obama/Hillary for the Whitehouse-2008-2016–Hillary/.????? for.2017

June 3, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  18. Linda Moore

Hillary Clinton is more electable and the smartest and the one to beat John McCain in the fall. I feel sorry for the superdelegates, something is not right with them. If the democrats wanted to win they have just blown their chance. Jealousy............

June 3, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  19. indy dem

Seriously, Informed Voter: GWB takes the cake. Worst. President. Ever.

June 3, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  20. Becky

Hope the other superdelegates wrap this up quickly, like today or this week. And if Hillary is chosen for the VP slot, then so be it. It's Obama's choice.

June 3, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  21. Ally

You mean Carter the guy who met with Hamas is supporting Obama? Gee, isn't a surprise.

Who cares?

June 3, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  22. Jos/TN

One of the most statesman like policticans of my lifetime, and i'm 49. I appauld your recent works in the Middle East. Whoever wins should name President Carter as a cabinet member.

June 3, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  23. H2

Informed Voter?hahaha

are you informed yet that Florida has two time zones? Anyways worst president Carter? All I gotta say is that you gotta read some books man.

I was thinking hard about who to pick between McCain and Obama, they both are good on some issues but not so much on other issues. But because of Carter supporting Obama, I have decided to vote for Obama.

June 3, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  24. Devin

The parallels between Obama and Carter here are uncanny: Rising high gas prices, rising inflation, willingness to pacify brutal foreign dictators, style but no substance. Holy cow, THIS IS going to be Carter’s second term in office.

June 3, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Fl informed voter........................You say that Jimmy Carter is the worst president we've ever had....WHAT ABOUT PRESIDENT BUSH??????

June 3, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |