June 3rd, 2008

Carter to officially endorse Obama

Jimmy Carter, a superdelegate, has endorsed Obama .

Jimmy Carter, a superdelegate, has endorsed Obama .

(CNN) -
Former President Jimmy Carter, in a widely expected move, will endorse Barack Obama's presidential bid later Tuesday or early Wednesday.

Carter, a superdelegate who has frequently spoken favorably about Obama, told Britain’s Sky News last month that while he had not yet announced his decision publicly, after the last Democratic primary June 3, it would be time for Hillary Clinton to “give it up.”

He also said that Clinton “had a perfect right” to keep running – but that “a lot of the superdelegates will make a decision quite, announced quite rapidly, after the final primary on June 3."

The former president also told an interviewer last month that he believes Hillary Clinton would accept the vice presidential spot on the ticket, but that he did not believe such an offer would be made by Obama "because I don't see how it would help his ticket. I think he needs somebody like a [former Georgia Sen.] Sam Nunn, but I won't name others.”

Nunn, the former Georgia senator, is known for his foreign policy and national security expertise.

1. Jasmyne

It's official!!!!!!! Obama is the democratic nominee and HRC just announced that she is open to being his running mate.

Obama/Clinton 08/12!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  2. Florida Voter

Why would you endorse let alone vote for a Muslim who pretended to be Christian by hiding in an America Hating church for 20 years....

Barack should NOT offer the VP position to Hillary. She order another Vince Foster style hit to become the President herself.

I'l bet this goes away in moderation!

June 3, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  3. Josh

Yay!!!

June 3, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  4. right source

And rightfully so! Carter has been hinting to the endorsement of Obama before today when he told Clinton in so many words to pull out of the contest.

June 3, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  5. erica

wonderful!

6. Clint

What an endorsement! Barak is such a lying BS'er. Just by trying to sound Presidential and talking down to us, this punk of a candidate deserves the White House? What about real people like Rice, Powel, etc?

7. Onyema

Excellent timing Jimmy. You also need to help pull everyone together. While we commend Hillary for her fighting spirit, she will either make or break her political future by her speech tonight. She can either go down fighting and confine herself in the dustbin of political history or come out and throw her support behind Barack Obama.

8. Donna

I don't care what opinions others have expressed about Jimmy Carter but I consider him to be one of our best humanatarian presidents. He's always seemed more concerned with people than money. Look at his good work with Habit for Humanity. I knew he was supporting Barack! I'm so excited.

9. jimmy velman

JIMMY CARTER HAS LOST OUR RESPECT AND CREDIBILITY.
    HE UPS AND GOES TO TALK TO THE TERRORISTS AS THOUGH
    HE COULD CONVINCE/DISSUADE THEM FROM THEIR EVIL TERROR ACTIVITIES AGAINST AMERICA AND ISRAEL.. THE EAME GOES FOR THE HEZBOLLAH TERRORISTS BACKED AND SUPPLIED BY IRAN. WE ARE DISAPPOINTED THAT A FORMER PRESIDENT HAS DONE THIS DISGRACEFUL ACT.

10. enomisa

Wow...
    Now this is news.

I could have told you this last year.

I must be psychic... so listen up:

Obama will lose in the GE

11. Kinjiru

Always in the offing....

12. Cammi317

No surprise there.

13. Ben

Good Bye Bill!.........You need a break cause it ain't your race.

14. White Woman for Obama

YAY!

It's soooo over!

Obama 08 & 12

15. Billy J Austin, TX

Just a populist fighting the liberal effete in my party, so take my following opinion with a grain of salt

Great EX prez. but .... this is like Ted Kennedy endorsing... not anything to brag to the proletariat in the party about. No new votes are coming his way because of it. (just the nomination).

Blue collar and wage slaves need more than ex presidents and northeastern dynastic liberal clans (Kerry, Kennedy) to get us excited about the coming election.

16. Anson

From a former President to the next Presend of The United States Of America 😀

17. Jack from Texas

What I like about Sen. Obama is his commitment to the politics of change and his distancing from the politics of old. Oh, wait a minute...

Vote Nader (dot) Org

18. Lynn

It did not supprise me. I thru his books and everything I had on the Kennedys in the trash. I guess next it will be Gore. The all boys club in action. Women will not forget in November.

19. Florida Voter

Barack should NOT offer the VP position to Hillary. She'll order another Vince Foster style hit to become the President herself.

I'l bet this goes away in moderation!

June 3, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  20. Never Obama

I saw this coming for over a year.

And I see a Democratic loss in Nov coming.

You can not win with your weakest candidate.

June 3, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  21. Anson

From a former President to the next Pressident of The United States Of America 😀

June 3, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  22. Generation X

Way to go Obama!!!

June 3, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  23. new dems

Americans really loved the Carter years.

I'm sure they will enjoy the Obama years as well.

IFFFFFFFFF Obama can win.

I doubt lefty will win ALL of America.

June 3, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  24. james

Good...Maybe they can visit Hamas together.

June 3, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  25. Ben

KiKi...you need to look for another job!..Please dont represent Obama this fall.

June 3, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |