June 3rd, 2008

Clinton backer Feinstein says it's time to end

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/03/art.fein1.gi.jpg caption="Feinstein is a supporter of Hillary Clinton."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Major Hillary Clinton supporter Sen. Dianne Feinstein said Tuesday the final primaries mark a “moment of truth” for the New York senator, who should end her campaign.

The California senator also repeated her view that Clinton should be tapped for the vice presidency.

“I think after the campaigns are wrapped up today, it is in fact a moment of truth,” Feinstein told CNN. “I think a decision has to be made about whether keeping this nomination wide open is in the best interest of winning in November. I do not believe that it is, and I’m a very strong supporter of Hillary being placed on ticket as a vice presidential candidate.”

Feinstein, who endorsed Clinton last summer, has resisted calls for her to use her influence to convince the White House hopeful to abandon her presidential bid, although she said last month that the protracted primary contest was making for dangerous friction within the party.

“The reason I say this is because each one of them represents a different constituency. The constituencies are knocking heads at the present time,” said Feinstein.

“There are women all over the country and particularly in my state of California who think she has not been treated fairly. They want her to stand tall. One of the reasons she stayed in the race was to stand tall. She’s done that. The two of them together, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, cover the constituencies of America and I think represent a working team that is unprecedented in the United States.”

“I think the time has come to end the primary, to put the ticket together, to bring people together and to march forward together into the convention.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. No Hillary

Ms Feinstein... just read the news about her Chairman saying she is not ready to conceed. This lady will not end her campaign until we call security and drug her out of the room. She just had some bad dreams that she is entitled to eb teh president ...

June 3, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  2. Phong Nguyen

No candidate should give up until the nominee is determined by the required number of delegates! It is unfair to call any candidate to end his/her candidacy before the result is decided properly! Leadership means never to quit until the finish is decided!!! What kind of leadership do people expect of S. Clinton to call her to quit when her campaign is going strong to the end??? S. Obama's campaign is limping to the finish line. What kind of leadership is his when he can not finish the job properly???

June 3, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  3. Stella Oliveros

I feel hillary would loose a lot of ground if she supports Obama after all he will crash and everyone will say on 2012 remeber Hillary was a Obama supporter and look where that got us....
    Hillary clinton gave a clean race and she should remain centered on what she beleives which is nothing that supports the Obama plan.

She will come out a winner at the end by waiting it out on the bench until her time comes....

June 3, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  4. Jason, Texas

Wow. Feinstein said something intelligent that I totally agree with, except for the VP part ;).

June 3, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  5. park more

No She should not...She is the right one.

June 3, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  6. Andrea

Bad idea. This will bring out all the baggage Hillary and Bill have and distract Obama from addressing the issues.

June 3, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  7. SLO Bear

The Clinton-as-victim rationale for VP is truly insane. Obama won and therefore should be unencumbered in his choice (if this is not the case, please articulate why he should be seen as "less than" other winners). Also, her Kennedy comment, which equaled reckless endangerment, completely disqualified her.

June 3, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  8. Ann

Yes, I agree. And for the first time in my life, I will vote as a Republican.

9. Darth Vadik, CA

I've said it before.
    Obama CAN win.
    After Bush, an Ape could do better.
    That is why I'm voting for Obama.

10. GO HILL!

Just got my NEW INDEPENDENT registration card!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bye Bye Democratic PARTY! You want BO, you can have him....by November you can put him on the list of losers for the democratic ticket....
    McGovern
    Carter...big time loser, what did he win 2 states in his second attempt?
    Mondale
    Dukakis
    Gore
    Kerry

I hope to heck Bill and Hillary Clinton start a new Independent party, start their own news organization, and RUN in November. BTW, CNN, you suck big time.

11. Ken

I believe that Feinstein instead of saying that it is time for Hillary to concede, that she could rally herself and others, and get behind Hillary Clinton, who we all know is the stronger candidate to beat McCain in November, and be our next President.

The media has been totally unfair to Hillary Clinton in the coverage and comments, while Brack Hussein Obama has been their "Golden Boy"! What a joke!!!!

If Barack Hussein Obama does become the nominee, the party will lose come November and will lose the White House!

If we want to regain our position in the world, as being the best country, then we need to have Hillary Clinton be the nominee and come November, beat McCain, and re-take the White House!

12. donna

NO WE ARE GOING TO WRITE HER IN NOV.

13. Law O.

She won't listen to you.I am sure she will continue to campaign after
    today.She's saturated with her concept of entitlement.Besieds,Obama
    reserve the right to opt for his own VP without any interferance.nobody should force anybody down his throat.

14. Stella Oliveros

I feel Hillary would loose a lot of ground if she supports Obama after all he will crash and everyone will say on 2012 remember Hillary was a Obama supporter and look where that got us….
    Hillary Clinton gave a clean race and she should remain centered on what she believes which is nothing that supports the Obama plan.

15. Ed, Santa Fe NM

she has not benn treated fairly???? OH BOO HOO

GO SUCK AN EGG

and NO VP FOR THE CLINTONS

16. Susan

The country is in such a bad way, that Obama can sleep-walk his way into the presidency.

17. Jim

If it would mean an absolute blowout against the republicans and McBush, I would hold my nose and say Hillery for VP.

18. herold aubourg/boston/ma

I DO NOT THINK THAT HILLARY SHOULD BE IN THE TICKET AND OBAMA WILL WIN WITHOUT HILLARY AND HER VOTERS. I WOULD NOT THINK IN THE TIME WE ARE LIVING THAT IF ANYONE WHO IS A HUMAN BEING WOULD OVERLOOK THE PROBLEM WE ARE FACING, WOULD VOTE FOR MCCAIN. LET THEM GO AHEAD AND NOT VOTE BECAUSE EVERYONE IS ECJOEING THERE WOULD NOT BE A REPUBLICAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

19. boomer babe for Obama

If Senator Obama reaches the magic number tonight, he should move on to the general election campaign whether Hillary concedes or not. Obama is so far ahead in pledged delegates that there's no way that Hillary can convince enough of the remaining superdelegates to support her. Her latest broadcast that she won't be conceding tonight just goes to show that she doesn't seriously intend to support Obama. She's doing whatever it takes to keep herself in the spotlight, extort from Obama a vice-presidential position, or sabotage him for 2012.

Nor do I agree that Obama should choose Clinton as his vice-president. Her political campaign was run 180 degrees differently from his. Further, Obama has shown that he makes decisions according to what he believes, rather than what is politically expedient. As a boomer-aged white female, I'd love to see a woman on the ticket, but not a woman who practices gutter politics. I used to be a supporter of the Clintons, but, as a woman, it's more important to me to think for myself rather than do what is expected based upon my gender. Isn't that true feminism?

Before the end of the day, I hope that enough of the superdelegates will back Obama to send a clear message to the American people: Senator Obama is the Democratic nominee.

20. NC4Obama

Hillary supporters have made it perfectly CLEAR they would not vote for a ticket that Obama is on so why are people still talking about this joint ticket. Hillary supporters can't stand Obama so what excately would be the point.

June 3, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  21. Don in Florida

I think people should stop trying to tell Obama who he should pick for Vice President. If he thinks Clinton can help him then so be it. If he thinks another person would help him then that's his call. True Democrats should fall in line behind the nominee no matter who he chooses for VP.

June 3, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  22. YES WE CAN UNITE!!!

She needs to end it before the Party ends it for her on a negative note.

June 3, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  23. Erick

I believe that Clinton supporters who truly respect what Clinton stands for will vote for Obama in November. Those who say that they would rather vote for McCain in the general are saying this in spite and are being a disservice to Clinton and to the Democratic party. Luckily Obama will win in November, otherwise come January 2009 these individuals would only have themselves to blame as our great nation continued to slide down the Global standings in terms of our economy, education, medical well-being and international respect. If you believe in what Clinton stands for then it is time to unite to make Obama an even more dominating candidate to solidify a strong senate with his down-ticket influence. All the close senate races except for NH and NM (where Obama runs well as well) are in States which favor Obama, there are no close senate races in the rust belt states. Sorry Clinton supporters, but for down ticket senate races Obama is clearly the better candidate, otherwise I think either Obama or Clinton would beat McCain so really raw electability is NOT the issue here. Help create a government where Clinton will still be able to propose bills like Universal health-care to a 60-40 senate backed by a democrat president and a democratic house majority! To propose anything less would be to do a great disservice to Hillary and the democratic party and would only serve as a reminder as to why American politics in general drives low turn-out and is more based on petty character arguments and swift boating rather then on issues and policy. If a flip flop vote from Hillary to McCain is what some truly believe would be a respectful way to honor Hillary's primary race, then I think that they have completely missed the point of why she was running in the first place. On the issues I'm 100% confident that Hillary is much more in line with Obama then with McCain and a continuation of the Bush policies. Vote with your head, vote Obama!

Thanks for reading,

Erick

June 3, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  24. randy

Well I think in her mind she knows that it is over but some of so called advisers will tell her not admit it officialy.this what mark penn did to her the same advice.

June 3, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  25. Sounds like Reason

Why is it that people are so fearful that Hillary will do the wrong thing? Could it be that she has consistently shown that she holds herself above all else – and even her staunchest supporters are trying to remind her gently that there is more to the party. People talk as though the Cintons have be the target of media bias, when all they have been the target of is the media – and everyone else wondering how they could possibly be so self absorbed – even to the detriment of the Party. I suspect it is getting more and more difficult to defend. What is the most frustrating is the way the Clinton's control the spin. One would think from all they hear, that there is actual media bias against them – when in fact they have had a free ride – while attacking others from all sides. Look at the two campaigns over the past several months – nothing but Praise for Hillary from Obama – nothing but put-downs from Hillary toward Obama. I hope it is within her to step back and see – but I think they both believe what Bill said yesterday about Obama.... Sad indeed. Well, she has powerful friends – I hope they can get through to Hillary

June 3, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |