June 3rd, 2008

Clinton backer Feinstein says it's time to end

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/03/art.fein1.gi.jpg caption="Feinstein is a supporter of Hillary Clinton."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Major Hillary Clinton supporter Sen. Dianne Feinstein said Tuesday the final primaries mark a “moment of truth” for the New York senator, who should end her campaign.

The California senator also repeated her view that Clinton should be tapped for the vice presidency.

“I think after the campaigns are wrapped up today, it is in fact a moment of truth,” Feinstein told CNN. “I think a decision has to be made about whether keeping this nomination wide open is in the best interest of winning in November. I do not believe that it is, and I’m a very strong supporter of Hillary being placed on ticket as a vice presidential candidate.”

Feinstein, who endorsed Clinton last summer, has resisted calls for her to use her influence to convince the White House hopeful to abandon her presidential bid, although she said last month that the protracted primary contest was making for dangerous friction within the party.

“The reason I say this is because each one of them represents a different constituency. The constituencies are knocking heads at the present time,” said Feinstein.

“There are women all over the country and particularly in my state of California who think she has not been treated fairly. They want her to stand tall. One of the reasons she stayed in the race was to stand tall. She’s done that. The two of them together, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, cover the constituencies of America and I think represent a working team that is unprecedented in the United States.”

“I think the time has come to end the primary, to put the ticket together, to bring people together and to march forward together into the convention.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Gia in Los Angeles, CA

Sen. Feinstein does not speak for me. I am a woman in California (over 50, white) who thinks that Clinton has been treated more than fairly. If the positions had been reversed, Obama would have been forced out of the race months ago. I've always agreed that she should be given the grace to complete the race through the final contests (today), and that this needs to be wrapped up quickly now. I think, however, that it would be a big mistake for Clinton to be the Vice Presidential nominee. It would give the Republicans major ammunition against the ticket and Bill would constantly be getting in the way. Hillary can be considered for a multitude of other positions on the cabinet where she could do much good, but NOT as a Vice President.

June 3, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  2. Dr. Jeff (Illinois)

The Vice Presidency is not and should not be "lets make a deal." If shes on the ticket I personally will vote for McCain. I am sick and tired of hearing about Hillary's claim and equally annoyed by Bill's continued antics!

June 3, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  3. What are they afraid of????

She must be getting pressure from Pelosi – who wants her guy named....but let the primaries complete! Clinton will have the popular vote of the people and Obama may have the delegates of the DNC.........but the people will have their say!

Keep in mind, Obama will only be the PRESUMPTIVE nominee for the Democratic Party – he will not be the nominee until the votes are in at the convention!!! There is alot of time between now and then. Who knows what can happen!

Senator Clinton, please just put your candidacy into suspension for now! The power of the people who voted for you and continue to support you will carry the day!

June 3, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  4. Alisa--GA

Please tell me why it is that Sen Obama can't make his own choice for VP. Every other candidate has been able to make that choice.

Stop telling him what he needs to choice her. If he decides to do that, I am all forward. Give him the option!!!!!

Go OBAMA!!!!

June 3, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  5. katiec

If Hillary truely cares for our country and the Democratric Party
    she will pull out of the race.
    She has done so much to destroy the unification of the
    party she should stop and start trying to unite.
    It is time to put ego aside, to admit the anything to win
    campaign did not win and bow out gracefully, if that can
    still be done.

June 3, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  6. TESAP

Yes it is, I just hope her other supporters see the light....... It's time to change the world people.......... All those in favor say yeah......

June 3, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  7. Sara

Hillary proven that she is the fighter and She will be the best president. Do not quit HIllary!

June 3, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  8. Walt

I thought Bill was the egomaniac in that family. I was terribly, terribly wrong. I watched him try to end this thing the night they lost Indiana, and last night as well.

What's worse is that her supporters refuse to accept that she was soundly and fairly defeated.

When McAuliffe, and Ickies, and Hillary, and Maggie, and the others all write their books and confirm that they screwed this up badly, Hillary's rabid, bitter supporters will finally realize they were wrong. I wonder if they will apologize...

How you lose is a key indicator of who and what you are. Indication so noted!

June 3, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  9. Erik - Dallas, TX

"Obama went on to praise his Senate colleague from New York as "an extraordinary candidate, and an extraordinary public servant. . . . She would be on anyone's short list of vice presidential candidates. But beyond that, I don't want to offer an opinion."

Translation: She is on everyone's short list , but mine.

June 3, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  10. Bill

Yeah, we're going to end it ,when we are on top! Until that happens it's on-going til someone crosses the line. We have the Popular vote! Tell Obama to end it...............We've beat him! Or I should say Rev Wright and Father Pfleger pulled him back down,where he came from!

June 3, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  11. Eli

I will never have to apologize for voting for Obama. I think many Democrats feel this way and will not vote for him this fall. If Hillary is on the ticket as VP I will have to think about it but I am not for sure i would vote for him still. I fell that he has been shoved down our throats by the media and the heads in the DEM party. I do not like that and I have always been the type to reject something even more, if I think someone is not giving me a choice. One thing I know for sure is he will lose by himself , the only way he can win is with her as the VP.

June 3, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  12. Vince from California

I guess Senator Fienstien is saying that in the eyes of the super delegates, race should trump gender..........What a sell out, being a supposed Clinton supporter

June 3, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  13. randy

Well I think in her mind she knows that it is over but some of so called advisers will tell her not admit it officialy.this what mark penn did to her the same advice that got her into this.

June 3, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  14. CJ

If either one of these Democratic candidates truly believe in unity, now is the time for Hillary to step aside and show her support of the young Senator from Illinois. However, in return, now is the time for the young Senator to embrace Hillary and her supporters. Democrats across this country, remember one thing, if the Republic Party can divide us because of pride, inequality, or simply plain ignorance, they have won. I urge all of you to put aside your differences, look at what this country has been through the past eight years, and unite to recreate what has been destroyed. Awake West Virginians, did you not hear how your Vice President refers to ALL of you? Now he is claming to be sorry for his remark, but he knew darn good well that he was insinuating that all of you were inbred or he would not have added at the end of his statement that he did not really have to worry any more about what he said as he was not running for election. The true colors of the Republican Party are displayed for the world to see, and I suggest you embrace Senator Byrd and Senator Rockefeller as they endeavor to correct the injustices the American people have experienced the past eight years.

June 3, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  15. To Darth and Susan

Yes Obama, after Bush may be as qualified and as capable as an Ape.

And yes, EVEN Obama, may be able to sleep-walk his way into the white house, after the country is so sick and tired of 8 Bush years.

But why not actually vote for and elect a true leader, with actual qualifications? Why not vote for the VERY best, rather than bank on the people voting for anyone BUT the Republican?

June 3, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  16. patricia lim

As much I admire Hilirary Clinton for her gutsy campain, I also think now is the best time for her to concede. You don't to look too deparate. The Democrats must remain untied for the good of the USA.
    The whole world is watching!

June 3, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  17. Catherine Hugh

I LOT of us won't ever vote for Obama! Keep that in mind lady.

June 3, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  18. JMN

I actually agree with Feinstein. I have had real problems with the Clintons during this campaign–and Bill, in particular, does scare me. But I have also been very, very troubled by the mean-spiritedness of many Obama supporters. I truly believe(d) that Obama's "new politics" is based on empathy, bringing people together, resisting the Jerry Springer-ish incivility that has marred American politics (and American society generally). The venom that too many Obama supporters have spouted about Senator Clinton is troubling–and yes, often sexist, which is really appalling considering that Obama's groundbreaking candidacy is a rejection of past bigotry.

So by choosing Senator Clinton as his running mate, Obama could be a great role model, demonstrating that he can unite with Clinton and her supporters. I won't blame Obama if he does not do this–the Bill factor may be too high a hurdle to leap over. But if Obama can pull this off–and keep Bill at bay–it could be a great moment for this country.

June 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  19. Bond

She needs to concede in a mannerful way. She is behaving very badly right now. And her husband is running around talking dirt and still finger-pointing at other people while reports show that he is romancing the world. This is just not the Clinton I loved in the 90s.

She can't save face now,,, she has already lost respect of many. Here are my office, very few women like her. She is just not likable unless you are not learned, racist or uninformed. People that can do research and not depend on CNN and FOX will vote on issues and not petty crap.

June 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  20. john williams san diego, ca.

there is no room for hillary in the future of America. GO AWAY.

June 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  21. Bill

Ps no real backer would say such a thing if they are for the people!

June 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  22. Dave

Waiting for the usual blathering from the Obamites. Usual content: mindless platitudes, rude comments, ignorant remarks, socialistic rants. Which will it be????

June 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  23. fair democrat

I agree with her. She is not sexist or part of a 'conspiracy'.

CNN, why is your coverage Clinton, Clinton, Clinton with pictures all over the place, but very little Obama coverage, with no pictures of him?

June 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  24. Rudy NYC

I think each has treated unfairly to an equal degree.

Obama's flag pin caused a lot of noise. But, the pins that McCain and Clinton frequently do not wear was totally ignored.

Clinton has been the target of some sexist comments and opinions. But, didn't she declare it herself, "I am woman. Hear me roar."

Obama's pastor issues stayed in the media because there was really nothing else to be critical over.

Clinton didn't started getting the bad sexist comments until after she made the elitist accusation. It's not in my speaking vocabulary.

June 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  25. LB n NY

Bill is way too much baggage. Why cant he keep his zipper and his mouth closed?

June 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |