June 3rd, 2008

Clinton backer Feinstein says it's time to end

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/03/art.fein1.gi.jpg caption="Feinstein is a supporter of Hillary Clinton."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Major Hillary Clinton supporter Sen. Dianne Feinstein said Tuesday the final primaries mark a “moment of truth” for the New York senator, who should end her campaign.

The California senator also repeated her view that Clinton should be tapped for the vice presidency.

“I think after the campaigns are wrapped up today, it is in fact a moment of truth,” Feinstein told CNN. “I think a decision has to be made about whether keeping this nomination wide open is in the best interest of winning in November. I do not believe that it is, and I’m a very strong supporter of Hillary being placed on ticket as a vice presidential candidate.”

Feinstein, who endorsed Clinton last summer, has resisted calls for her to use her influence to convince the White House hopeful to abandon her presidential bid, although she said last month that the protracted primary contest was making for dangerous friction within the party.

“The reason I say this is because each one of them represents a different constituency. The constituencies are knocking heads at the present time,” said Feinstein.

“There are women all over the country and particularly in my state of California who think she has not been treated fairly. They want her to stand tall. One of the reasons she stayed in the race was to stand tall. She’s done that. The two of them together, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, cover the constituencies of America and I think represent a working team that is unprecedented in the United States.”

“I think the time has come to end the primary, to put the ticket together, to bring people together and to march forward together into the convention.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. James in Birmingham

A few nights ago the buzzer sounded, the Lakers had beaten the Spurs… The teams hugged and shook hands. The Spurs congratulated the new Western Conference Champs and then exited the court gracefully. Although the defending champs felt they should have won the series, the number said otherwise. Did they sick around and whine about the big no call in game 4? NO. They simply took the defeat and realized it was not their year to be the champs. Hillary, take note… this is not your year to become the champ. A new younger team is ready to take the throne, so just hug them, shake their hands, and wish your opponent the best of luck in the 2008 finals.

June 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  2. good

why are hillary's political supporters behaving as if the obama campaign owes hillary a vp slot. hillary is not owed anything. she has run a seedy, sinister, and quite frankly diabolical capaign and has only been interested in winning by slander.

she has stayed in the race not to "stand tall", but to try to win or at least to prevent obama from winning. Hillary will undermine obama if she's the vp behind his back, and he'd better be smarter than caving to the pressure of her supporters to include her on the ticket. She's evil.

June 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  3. NO-BAMA

Diana YOU HAVE JUST LOST MY SUPPORT, VOTE, AND MONEY

HOW DARE YOU TRY TO FORCE HILLARY OUT.....

obama still DOES NOT have the delegates to win!

I ALREADY QUIT THE DEM PARTY
    NOW THESE DEMS, 1 BY 1 ARE LOSING MY SUPPORT

Thank you barack w. bush for dividing this party

June 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  4. Fernandez

I think HRC should dump the DNC and run as independent.

June 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  5. kr

Absolutely NOT!!!

June 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  6. Shawn T

BS – Hillary has the popular vote.
    TRUTH – Only if the caucus states are not counted AND Obama is awarded 0 votes in MI. Does anyone really believe that 0 people support Obama in MI? And what about the caucus states? Count FL and MI but not the caucus states?

June 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  7. Kiah

Blah blah blah! Endorse Obama then she'll wake up!

June 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  8. Andrew V

Thank you for calling an end to Hillary's long good bye, Diane. However, Hillary would be a terrible choice for Obama's VP for the myriad reasons already spoken by countless commentators to this website. If Obama needs to reach out to the Hillary supporters (which he does), he should tap someone without Hillary's baggage and negatives, such as a swing state governor–Strickland or Rendell–and maximize the political value of that choice. Bill Richardson also should be at the top of the list–swing state, real foreign policy experience (unlike Hillary), and appeal to Hispanics.

June 3, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  9. Linda, CA

Don’t give up don’t give in Hillary. If I cannot vote for you it will be McCain. I cannot in good conscious vote for a racist socialist like Obama for president.

June 3, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  10. Crush Rush

I hate this Bit$$

June 3, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  11. Shawn T

BS – Barack and Michelle Obama are closet muslims who hate America just like Rev. Wright.
    TRUTH – Rev. Wright is a pastor of the CHRISTIAN Trinity Church, who does NOT speak for the Obamas.

June 3, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  12. Chelsea

Well...both candidates ran hard...and ran long. I have respect for their fortitude. I have been an Obama supporter from the beginning...but I refuse to trash talk Clinton like so many people will sink to doing. The idea of a mixed ticket was somewhat upsetting to me as I watched some of the things that Clinton said and did...but I would have to say that IF she goes out and really proves that her intent is to unite the party and not just "Get second place job"....then I think the whole notion of a mixed ticket would be renewed in my mind....

We will see...

So... how about it everyone?? Can we be friends again?

June 3, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  13. Ed

Sen. Feinstein we(our country and democrats)appreciate your words of wisdom asking Sen. Clinton to end her campaign and support Sen. Obama who has won fair and square. This support needs to be in more than just words but in a concession speech and actions afterwards that will help the healing. I personally feel that part of Sen. Clinton's finding her voice after losing 11 Primaries in a row was the "their picking on me" and the race connotations which have been very divisive. Sen. Clinton needs to help out a lot in healing this division she did help create.

June 3, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  14. sandy edger

has anyone actually done the math about total votes hillary keeps saying that she has the popular vote but she doesn't total votes cast counts up this way according to msnbc poll numbers for each state obama has 17,310,205 hillary has 17,108,088 that is giving hillary all votes cast for her including florida and michigan and counting florida for obama and not mich. as he wasn;t on ballot

June 3, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  15. Lynda

I used to believe I would support Obama if HRC didn't get the nomination, but I could never quite get comfortable with the idea, even though I support having a Democrat for president. The problem is, whether she is asked to be the VP or not, I just can't do it. Obama asks us to question Clinton's decision-making skills because of her vote to authorize war, but I have many more concerns over Obama's decision-making skills, when I consider that Obama stayed with his church for twenty years, and worked while in the senate to give hundreds of thousands of dollars of taxpayer money to the church communities of Wright and Pflegar. I can think of better, less *divisive* communities that work to support humanitarian efforts, to support with taxpayer dollars.

I'll be writing in Clinton, before I vote for Obama (or McCain)

June 3, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  16. dbacchus

This woman should really read the Consitution, before talking about 'puting the ticket together'.

VP's choise is not up to her, Clinton or her husband, it's up to the nominee.

And the nominee will be determined tonight.

June 3, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  17. D

I'm from California, a latin women and in no way do I want Mrs. Clinton on the ticket as VP. I'm disgusted with the way she has carried herself in the face of adversity. As a registered independent I countdn't vote in the Dem. primaries in Feb. now I wish I had.

June 3, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  18. NAMANDE MA

YES SHE IS A FIGHTER AND WILL ALWAYS BE. HOWEVER, NO VP SLOT. SHE IS TOO GOOD FOR #2. IF SHE IS TAPPED FOR THE VP SLOT, SHE SHOULD JUST BRUSH HIM OFF JUST LIKE HE DID TO HER DURING ONE OF HIS SPEECHES.

June 3, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  19. Issues Please.....

I'm sorry but it too much hard feel and the Clintons has too much baggage that the Republican will stomped Obama on –then she can run in 2012 if he lose. I say NOPE.

June 3, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  20. Terry

Dukakis vs Bush 1988 = Bush
    Gore vs Bush 2000 = Bush(Gore really won, but the one with the most votes obviously doesn't win in this country)
    Kerry vs Bush 2004 = Bush

Obama vs McCain 2008 = McCain

Obama can't do this without Hillary. Of course many Obama supporters think they alone are the entire population of the US who will be voting come November and everyone will vote for Nobama simply because he says "change". Get real. How could Gore lose against Bush? How could Kerry lose against Bush after all the resentment against Bush in 2004? Simple. There's alot more people out there who have different beliefs than yourself who will vote for the other person. Not everyone has fallen for the sugar rush Obama gives you with his Koolaid. I didn't fall for it and neither did so many other people. Some actually vote for the PERSON they think would do a better job being President and not simple words or what a party philosophy supposedly is.

So.. I'll either write in Hillary or vote for McCain if Hillary is not the VP. So will many others.. Why? Because this is about being President of the United States. Not about who gives the best speeches about trying to make you think they will create Utopia in this country. Nice dream, but not a possible reality.

June 3, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  21. shawn

BS – Hillary has the popular vote.
    TRUTH – Only if the caucus states are not counted AND Obama is awarded 0 votes in MI. Does anyone really believe that 0 people support Obama in MI? Count FL and MI but don't count the caucus states?

June 3, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  22. heads up Obama's behind

Open your eyes DNC and party leaders.

I did not vote for Bush twice- he was unqualified, had no experience, was cocky, arrogant, dismissive, boastful, mocking and jeering others all the time. He rode a wave of popularity to the presidency without any merits or accomplishments. I saw his as an empty vessel.

I will not vote for Obama- who is just the left wing version of Bush- just out of frustration with republican reign.

June 3, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  23. janice

Good luck to her.

Before she goes she needs to mend fences with Obama.

She was the first to call him an elitist (knowing what that title means in politics before Mc Cain or anyone else.
    She was the first to call him unelectable before Mc Cain.
    She was the first to call him inexpereinced.

As for the women's vote please watch how Obama treats his wife and family, with love and respect a lot more than we can say about the Clintons. We need some family values in the white house (remember the impeachment proceedings) which Obama never brought up.
    A lot of top level positions in the Obama campaign are held by women , you can tell he respects all people.

Please talk him up as he deserves

June 3, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  24. JP

This race is over. It's time for Senator Clinton to begin to work with Senator Obama to unite the party. I believe as long as she continues to fight, her supporters will see it as a betrayal to back Obama. She has to let them go.

June 3, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  25. kr

All the way to the convention!!!

June 3, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |