June 3rd, 2008

Clinton backer Feinstein says it's time to end

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/03/art.fein1.gi.jpg caption="Feinstein is a supporter of Hillary Clinton."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Major Hillary Clinton supporter Sen. Dianne Feinstein said Tuesday the final primaries mark a “moment of truth” for the New York senator, who should end her campaign.

The California senator also repeated her view that Clinton should be tapped for the vice presidency.

“I think after the campaigns are wrapped up today, it is in fact a moment of truth,” Feinstein told CNN. “I think a decision has to be made about whether keeping this nomination wide open is in the best interest of winning in November. I do not believe that it is, and I’m a very strong supporter of Hillary being placed on ticket as a vice presidential candidate.”

Feinstein, who endorsed Clinton last summer, has resisted calls for her to use her influence to convince the White House hopeful to abandon her presidential bid, although she said last month that the protracted primary contest was making for dangerous friction within the party.

“The reason I say this is because each one of them represents a different constituency. The constituencies are knocking heads at the present time,” said Feinstein.

“There are women all over the country and particularly in my state of California who think she has not been treated fairly. They want her to stand tall. One of the reasons she stayed in the race was to stand tall. She’s done that. The two of them together, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, cover the constituencies of America and I think represent a working team that is unprecedented in the United States.”

“I think the time has come to end the primary, to put the ticket together, to bring people together and to march forward together into the convention.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Phong Nguyen

Count the superdelegates and finish the process to win in November!!!

June 3, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  2. Cynthia

I agree that this should end after the last primaries and probably. I also feel very strongly that as the nominee Senator Obama should be able to pick who he wants as a running mate.

June 3, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  3. Back the loser

The rush is on now to try to get ALL democrats to back the likely nominee, Obama- who is so clearly the weaker, flawed, inelectable nominee, that the better candidate had to literally be KNOCKED out of the race by her party, in order to prop their left wing puppet.

As a lifelong democrat who for 35 years, has been able to support the DEM nominee, this is the banner year when I protest and say: NOT this time.

I can not condone fixed primaries, and cheating at flawed caucus states, and down right stealing the nomination the the ever more qualified FEMALE candidate. I'm no racist and I'm no sexist. I just wanted fair play and the best one to win on merit, not propaganda.

June 3, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  4. KK

Yes to ending the race; NO to joint-ticket!

June 3, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  5. Party Crasher

I wonder why she did not apply pressure to others in Washington to support Clinton?

June 3, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  6. Anthony - Morgantown

Why is this starting to sound like an episode of Intervention?

June 3, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  7. E. POWELL I MD, E POWELL MD II & ER. POWELL MD

HRC WAS A GOOD CANDIDATE TAKING EVERYTHING IN CONSIDERATION. HER HUSBAND REMAINS HER DOWNFALL.
    HER AND MR. OBAMA IS JUST WHAT THE TIMES NEEDED FOR OUR COUNTRY TO MOVE TOWARD CHANGE. NOW LET THE "CHANGE" BEGIN.

June 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  8. Julie

I agree – it's time for this to end. I disagree – she should not be offered the vice presidency.

PS Diane, get over the victim complex – if you want to run with the big boys, put on your big girl panties and press on. This whining about not being treated fairly is annoying and untrue – and it doesn't help the cause of women running in races such as this. If she was anyone but a clinton, this would have been over a long time ago, so quit the whining about unfair treatment.

June 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  9. Too late

Time to step in was when Obama, the uniter, recklessly split the party by playing the race card to advantage himself early on.

June 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  10. Liar, Liar pants on fire

Thank you for telling the truth!

June 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  11. NEVEROBAMA

Diane

Shut up!!!! It is easy for you to say because you are the not the one working endlessly for the past 15 months. Hillary deserves a hell of a lot more respect than people have given her credit for. Her relentless persuit of dream should make people admire her. Through her candidacy every little girl can really say I can be anything I want to when I grow up even President of the United States. I am ashamed of how women on the Obama camp treated Hillary. We are women and we all share the common bond of wanting to be seen as equal to men in our society. Too bad you did not fight enough for her. Hillary is a woman, mother, daughter and wife and we all have one in our lives. WHAT A SHAME!!!

HILLARY YOU ARE A TRUE CHAMPION!!!

June 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  12. Independent for Obama

I used to think I would never vote for a ticket with Hillary on it, however she deserves the Vice slot and I would back her, even though I cant believe I just wrote that.

Obama/Clinton '08

June 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  13. scdemocrat

Well let's hear it Hillary supporters. WHO CARES, SHE IS A JUDAS, SHE IS A MASOGINIST....... I started this primary season as a HUGE Hillary supporter and I now don't even know if I want her as VP. The damage she is doing to the party may not be fixed for years and we NEED to elect a Democratic President in November! I just hope enough "super" delegates come out today and endorse Obama so he can give a victory speech where the Republicants will hold their convention. Time to unite the party.

June 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  14. Paul

I wouldn't put it past Hillary, considering all the turmoil she creates, to now be hoping that she might derail Obama from a victory in November so she can position herself to come to the rescue in 2012. So much for unifying the party....

June 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  15. John

If Hillary doesn't concede tonight, it looks like it's going to get ugly. Hillary, stop holding the Democratic Party hostage!

June 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  16. Debby

You know VP spot unless the President gives you the authority to actually do things is no big prize. I would like to see Hillary in a cabinet position particulary with either the economy or health care. She can get more done and have her voice heard on these 2 issues. The problem is Obama has weak choices for VP. I read people vote for the president and not VP but thats not true look at Dan Quale he is one example of people tuning right off to him. Richardson will be a Quale because he is a turncoat if he is on the ticket and Edwards doesn't want it. Webb is weak and so is Evan B. Biden is hot headed and Dorothy from Kansas won't bring in what Hillary did so Obama is in a tough position when it comes to VP choices.

June 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  17. AJ

I think it time for Feinstein to end – her political life. She is a disgusting human being who goes whichever way the wind is blowing. Feinstein has no scruples, no character and no backbone. She will now firmly attach her lips to Obama's backside with the hope of courting favor. What a slimeball.

June 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  18. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Obama and Clinton ticket may be good but it's the making of a disaster politically. The ideal of rewarding an opponent because they lose is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. We take our loses in life and move on, Hillary is no different than any of the other candidates that ran and lost. The idea of forcing Hillary and Bill on Obama is just plain crazy. Hillary's supporters such as Feinstein have their own political interest at stake and there is no place for favoritism.

June 3, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  19. DFinFL

The question is, "Can she be trusted, Brutus?"

June 3, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  20. Cayman

I don't understand why WOMEN are saying that Hillary was not treated unfair. GIve me a break, she said from the beggining that this was going to be a tough fight...she fought it right to the end.

In this race they were both treated fair...i don't think because she is a woman, that she should of been treated any different. She knew what she was getting herself into. She is a tough cookie..she never put her guards down..so don't come crying now.

Obama treated her with respect, he never disrespected her. What else did she want.

June 3, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  21. JJ TORONTO

It makes sense to me Senator!!!- As the bible says : There time for everything. And now, it is time fold the tents. The show is over. But I must say I learned to respect HILLARY- She is a fighter. But Obama is the WINNER and should make the VP cfhoice in the best interst of this party and the country

June 3, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  22. Dave

Please don't pick Hilary.... she will stab him in the back one day.
    maybe another position.

June 3, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  23. ben

McCain in '08! CNN handed this primary to Obama with its sexist reporting. Fact! The only smart thing Nobama ever did was to pay off the koolade drinkers of the media with all his money that he raised unfairly! I can't wait to tell Obama supporters that they cost their party the general election! Pro-choice, anti-war, pro-health care, anti-outsourcing, pro-environment Democrats should support McCain! That will show the kool ade drinkers! They will line up to apologize to Clinton supporters who voted republican in 08 when they lose their jobs, homes, health care, and reproductive rights!

June 3, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  24. Texan for Obama

One more time, if she doesn't think Obama can lead the country why in God's green earth would she want to be his VP...why would Bill want her to be VP?

Obama, I've never doubted your political savy or your leadership skills...but I'm begging you don't give her an inch. She will say anything, pretend to negotiate with you, but she will stab you in the back in a heart beat. You can't be humane with a killer animal.

June 3, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  25. Ann Romero

I agree to this statement Hillary Clinton deserves first place and if the party decides her faith for second then she will do what is best for the party. I been to the recent rally regarding counting the votes of the people many are thinking the party already had in mind who they wanted to get to that magic so called number. The party and media play a big role in the outcome of this election. All reporters from the CNN have declared this from the beginning with all of the hatred and tactics.

Hillary Clinton supporters will remember in November, you can take the party but you can win the general election without her supporters. Just try. The republicans are already planning and something else is coming out in the near future about the Obama group.

June 3, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |