June 3rd, 2008

Clinton backer Feinstein says it's time to end

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/03/art.fein1.gi.jpg caption="Feinstein is a supporter of Hillary Clinton."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Major Hillary Clinton supporter Sen. Dianne Feinstein said Tuesday the final primaries mark a “moment of truth” for the New York senator, who should end her campaign.

The California senator also repeated her view that Clinton should be tapped for the vice presidency.

“I think after the campaigns are wrapped up today, it is in fact a moment of truth,” Feinstein told CNN. “I think a decision has to be made about whether keeping this nomination wide open is in the best interest of winning in November. I do not believe that it is, and I’m a very strong supporter of Hillary being placed on ticket as a vice presidential candidate.”

Feinstein, who endorsed Clinton last summer, has resisted calls for her to use her influence to convince the White House hopeful to abandon her presidential bid, although she said last month that the protracted primary contest was making for dangerous friction within the party.

“The reason I say this is because each one of them represents a different constituency. The constituencies are knocking heads at the present time,” said Feinstein.

“There are women all over the country and particularly in my state of California who think she has not been treated fairly. They want her to stand tall. One of the reasons she stayed in the race was to stand tall. She’s done that. The two of them together, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, cover the constituencies of America and I think represent a working team that is unprecedented in the United States.”

“I think the time has come to end the primary, to put the ticket together, to bring people together and to march forward together into the convention.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. F DE CASTRO

Miss Feintein and Miss BOxer,

I am a California voter, I will not vote for you or Miss Boxer anymore!!!!

June 3, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  2. Clinton/McCain

Clinton is are only chance at winning in November. People, including I, will not vote for someone (Obama) with a questionable and very disturbing background.

June 3, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  3. Chris from San Antonio

EVERY VOTE COUNTS!
    (unless it's a caucus state)

LET THE POPULAR VOTE DECIDE!
    (as long as states that broke the rules count)

POPULAR VOTE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAT DELEGATE COUNT!
    (even though the General Election follows delegate count)

SUPERDELEGATES SHOULD FOLLOW THE WILL OF THE VOTERS!
    (but they are free to change their minds at anytime)

Yes, this is the person I want leading our country. Someone who tries to change reality to suit her needs.

June 3, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  4. Are you serious?

Why can everyone see this...but Hillary?

June 3, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  5. Ed

Great, Dianne, dig a deeper hole for party and for yourself. You know that the more people try to bring her down, the more they anger the Hillary supporters, who are sick of being told to shut up and make nice with the empty suit who was shoved down our throat by the DNC and the mainstream media. Very bad strategy. And if you find yourself losing your seat after the next election, you will understand. We are keeping notes and will NEVER forget.

June 3, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  6. REPUBLICAN FOR BARACK OBAMA

Diane, how can Barack Obama ever trust Hillary or Bill. They continue to attack him and they keep trying to destroy the Democratic Party.

Would it be an Obama, Clinton, Clinton ticket? Hillary ran ruff shot over Vice President Gore.

Hillary and Bill need time to restore their marriage.

A 60 yr. old w/female voting for Barack Obama and Proud of it and Proud of him.

YES WE CAN – WHEN WE UNITE.

June 3, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  7. CT voter

I would rather Obama not have her as VP, I've lost a lot of respect for the clintons, but this is beyond me and anyone, and if it keeps Mcsame out of office, it is well worth it. I don't think me and other Americans who are in the slump with todays economy can take another 4 years of gridlock and the same old strategy that got us here in the first place, please think of those that need help before your own pride, and put your difference's aside everyone. ...Please...

June 3, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  8. Lynn

Its not over until the lady in the pantsuit says its over. I wil have to think about whether I would vote for him if she is on the ticket. I believe he is up there with Bush as poor choices whohave ran for President. Americans made a poor choice in Bush and again they will do the same with him. She is a brillant, remarkable, smart, knows the issues and have solutions. She is my candidate, but if she is Vice-President I would feel better and safer knowing she could possibly stop him from making stupid mistakes like Bush. I don't know if I could stand to listen to him say ah in every sentence sometimes more than once.

June 3, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  9. Phil-Little Rock

I for one am glad that all of America gets to see this woman lose the last shreds of her mind in front of everyone.

This logic of staying in the race is just like Bush saying there are WMDs: you see the writing on the wall, the truth is staring you point blank in the face......and you say it's something else.

The writing's been on the wall for a long time, Hillary, even your own staunchest supporters are abandoning ship. It's time for you to abandon ship too!! And all you Obama haters........well, you know where you can get off as well!!

GO OBAMA '08

June 3, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  10. theresa in Prattville, AL

Well tell Clinton to tell Bill that he needs to sit down and let Obama and Hillary run the White House not him. I personally do not trust Bill nor Hillary but I am willing to vote for her to be the Vice President if Bill is out of the way. They better not hurt Obama-physically nor mentally. I'm just a nobody but I do know Jesus and Jesus will watch over Obama and protect him as well but the devil is on the rise these days. So on that note, I will pray for the Clinton's also. THEY BETTER NOT HURT OBAMA!!!!

June 3, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  11. clyde

Feinstein is clueless. When mayor of San Francisco, she led the city into insolvency, and the resulting downgrading of credit cost taxpayers millions. Yet, similar idiots in San Francisco send clueless people such as Feinstein, Boxer, and Pelosi back to Congress repeatedly. Maybe because they didn't want them anywhere around town. They might be smarter than I thought. sarc/off

June 3, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  12. WOMAN THAT BELIEVES HILLARY IS A PARTY SPOILER!

I agree the moment of truth has come! BUT I question the comment time to put the ticket together, I don't exactly know what she means by this all I can say to this is as long as that ticket does not include Hillary as VP. ANYTHING BUT VP!

I DO NOT WANT HILLARY AS VP!!!!!!!!!!!
    SHE HAS PROVEN HERSELF TO BE UNTRUSTWORTHY!
    SHE HAS PROVEN HERSELF TO BE DIVISIVE!
    SHE HAS PROVEN HERSELF TO NOT BE A TEAM PLAYER!
    SHE HAS PROVEN HERSELF TO BE SELF SERVING!
    SHE HAS PROVEN HERSELF TO BE A CORRUPT PERSON IN HER DEALINGS!
    SHE HAS PROVEN HERSLEF TO BE ENCAPABLE OF MANAGING FUNDS!
    SHE HAS PROVEN HERSELF TO BE UNABLE TO MANAGE PEOPLE!

June 3, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  13. ClockWorkOrange

I think she's 100 percent acurate with this quote:

Like it or not–she's right. This unprecedented ticket would ensure a Dem victory...

June 3, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  14. Kenneth M

THANK YOU FRANKINSTEIN!, I MEAN Feinstein. IN ALL FAIRNESS THE HRC MUST ADMIT THAT THEY HAVE BEEN AS RUDE TO US AS WE HAVE BEEN TO THEM. FOR EXAMPLE BEN IN CINCI SAYING THAT OBAMA IS UNQULIFIED. IF SO, HOW DID HE BEAT HER? IN ANY EVENT, WE SHOULD UNITE. I WOULD HAVE BEEN UPSET IF OBAMA LOST, BUT I WOULD HAVE VOTED FOR HER. IT IS BETTER THAT OBAMA WIN AND YOU PEOPLE LEAVE THE PARTY AND MCCAIN GET THE OFFICE THEN FOR OBAMA TO LOOSE JUST TO MAKE YOU HAPPY. MANY OF YOU ARE STILL PRAYING TO THE SUPPER DEL GODS IN HOPES THAT THEY WILL CROWN HER QUEEN. THAT IS NOT HOW IT WORKS, AND IT IS AS INSULTING TO ME TO HEAR YOU REQUEST THAT AS THE THINGS YOU ARE HURT BY FROM OUR SIDE.

June 3, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  15. Linda

The DNC, superdelegates, and Hillary Rodman Clinton have torn this party apart. I am so tired of the primary until I and almost sick. Stop forcing Hillary for VP. After tonight and this has not ended, I will not vote at all in the general election and will encourge my friends not to vote. This is not about you people; it's about the American people and state of disaster we are in. I know people say they won't vote for Obama and some say they won't vote for Hillary but I am one serious person and I believe what other people are saying about not voting for the other candidate. THIS PARTY HAS BEEN TORN APART AND YOU NEED TO STOP PLAYING POLITICS WITH AMERICAN LIVES!

June 3, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  16. Terry

Its real simple either Obama lets Hillary be vice president or he will lose in November. It's up to him.
    Most of the Hillary supports will either cross over and vote for Mc Cain or write in Hillary in November if he doesn't make her vice president.

June 3, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  17. Praetorian, Fort Myers

The dream ticket–or the nightmare ticket. Guess is just depends on your understanding of the constitution and governments role in our lives.

Personally–I don't want to see those hacks gaining any more control of my life than they already have.

I may just sit home in November–let the supposed majority have it's way.

June 3, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  18. john

Hillary started this campaign with all the plus's on her side.

Hillary ran the campaign and continues to do so with all the negatives she can muster.

Simply put Hillary does not deserve to be on the ticket, she has pandered to so many groups appealing to the lowest instincts racism, sexism even trying the Muslim as far as she knows jibe, I'm surprised she does not wear black and white pant suits.

She signs pledges and then displays complete disregard for the pledge, just how does she expect anyone to believe what she says or trust her with anything

It has been clear for some time that Barack Obama is going to be the Nominee.

Well done Mr Obama you have taken on the suposed best political machine and beat it.

Go get the Republicans and McSame

June 3, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  19. jean

Obama's supporters are mean and rude. Look at their comments. what a difference between them and Hillary supporters. I'm scared to vote for Obama. I would vote for McCain before this guy. He won the primary because heis black.

June 3, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  20. Ed

how has clinton treated unfairly?

June 3, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  21. Robert

I agree with Ms. Feinstein, that after the primary has ended it is time for all democrats to unite and not prolong this unity effort. We need to have a total party that works for the common goal of electing Obama as President of the United States of America.
    We cannot afford to miss this opprotunity.

June 3, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  22. peggyledbetter

I don't think Obama and Hillary would be a good ticket, in fact, i think it would change the way many see Obama and his message to the people. I will not be voting if that does occur!

June 3, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  23. goblai67

I trongly believe that the OBAMA and CLINTON ticket will be a victory for the MC CAIN.
    Not because she is not good, but the Negativ luaguage she has.

A video tape whith B. Clinton lying to the congress will be a blow
    and Hillary own probleme with the court make the matter worse.
    What about OBAMA own problems???

OBAMA with someone else will be better for the party and the country.

June 3, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  24. Jacob, South Side Chicago

Joint ticket? Please. How many people need to say, in no uncertain terms, that they won't vote for a Clinton/Obama ticket before these pundits let it go? Kill this idealized and stylized vision for a minority/female powerhouse ticket. Hillary is still a Clinton and even as a VP, we, the people of the United States, are done with the Bush and Clinton families. Period.

June 3, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  25. C from the D

Yeah, people are starting to bail on Clinton now... I think she will concede tonight, contrary to the earlier report. She doesn't gain anything by holding out and she continues to hurt her standing w/ African Americans (be it fair or not) and thats the most loyal democratic voting bloc in recent history. If she plans on taking the top spot in 2012 then she has to leave and work hard for Obama and pray that he loses.

June 3, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |