June 3rd, 2008

Clinton backer Feinstein says it's time to end

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/03/art.fein1.gi.jpg caption="Feinstein is a supporter of Hillary Clinton."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Major Hillary Clinton supporter Sen. Dianne Feinstein said Tuesday the final primaries mark a “moment of truth” for the New York senator, who should end her campaign.

The California senator also repeated her view that Clinton should be tapped for the vice presidency.

“I think after the campaigns are wrapped up today, it is in fact a moment of truth,” Feinstein told CNN. “I think a decision has to be made about whether keeping this nomination wide open is in the best interest of winning in November. I do not believe that it is, and I’m a very strong supporter of Hillary being placed on ticket as a vice presidential candidate.”

Feinstein, who endorsed Clinton last summer, has resisted calls for her to use her influence to convince the White House hopeful to abandon her presidential bid, although she said last month that the protracted primary contest was making for dangerous friction within the party.

“The reason I say this is because each one of them represents a different constituency. The constituencies are knocking heads at the present time,” said Feinstein.

“There are women all over the country and particularly in my state of California who think she has not been treated fairly. They want her to stand tall. One of the reasons she stayed in the race was to stand tall. She’s done that. The two of them together, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, cover the constituencies of America and I think represent a working team that is unprecedented in the United States.”

“I think the time has come to end the primary, to put the ticket together, to bring people together and to march forward together into the convention.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. bernj

While I applaud Feinstein for at least acknowledging the potential harm Clinton is doing by staying in, I find her suggestion that Clinton has not been treated fairly to be pure BS. Hillary had every advantage going into this thing. She blew it and now wants to play the sexism card. I also think that Feinstein (who by the way broke with the party and voted for neocon federal judges) is being presumptuous to suggest Hillary as Barack's running mate. The decision is his to make.

June 3, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  2. Trang, Fremont, CA

I don't think Hillary would be a good VP. I know she fought hard and has substantial following, but it's not a good match. I know they are similar on many issues, but it's not a good match. His message and brand will go out the door. She can play an important role, just not VP.

June 3, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  3. Mike in Cali

She ran a fantastic race. The numbers are the numbers.
    We desperately need a Dem in the White House to get a
    handle on the economy.

Re-regulating the way our oil
    commodities are being traded, ie: futures contracts with out
    caps and so forth have driven the price of gas at least 25%.

Lets stand with Senator Obama and force his administration to
    abide by the high policy standards Senator Clinton and Former Senator John Edwards set. Kick out the special interest politics, the lobbiests and make sensable choices for our Republic.

United we stand, Divided we fall.

June 3, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  4. J Kay

No VP for Hillary.

June 3, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  5. Bola Muyis

Am with you.

Barack / Hillary 08/12

June 3, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  6. David

I was against a joint ticket early on. To me it did not seem politically feasibly. But as time goes on, circumstances change. Early on, there was not a large schism in the Democratic party; now there is. At this point, the schism has become so large, the only thing in my mind that could mitigate that would be a joint ticket.

I'm for it.

June 3, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  7. Rosemary Storaska

Feinstein, Hillary quitting will not give you the result you want. The internal Obama political machine entering into state contest such as Texas and other states, superdelgate back room meetings, the DNC result, sexism and bias in the media have result in a permanent split in this party. The only one to blame is Howard Dean and the DNC who knowingly let it all happen.

To be a Democrat right now is not to be proud. Racism in reverse on top of sexism and an Obama money machine and its redefinition of this party is not what 50% of the party needs or wants.

June 3, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  8. Truth

I disagree she should be in the ticket as VP. You need some degree of understanding and Obama should not be forced to have her as his VP. Disadvantages include:
    1/ Uniting the Republican party
    2/ Obama vision of change will be hurt by Hillary
    3/ We don't someone who voted for a war who killed southands of Americans and left the country weaker
    4/ It will be very difficult to contain Bill Clinton
    5/ Obama is a uniter and Hillary is a divider

She lost the nomination and she should bow out. Then we can discuss who will be a good VP for Obama

June 3, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  9. Mike

While I'm glad that Senator Feinstein has reached the conclusion that it is time to end the primary and unify the party, I don't believe that Senator Clinton should be forced onto the ticked. Should she be considered?, absolutely, but there is no mandate that she be made the VP. Senator Obama will have to evaluate his options and make what he believes will be the best choice to help him win the election. If the roles were reversed, I would expect Senator Clinton to make the very same argument.
    I congratulate Senator Clinton on a hard fought campaign. I respect her grit, but I do not agree with many of her tactics during the campaign. However, it is now time to unite behind the Democratic Nominee and work together to elect that nominee to the Presidency.

June 3, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  10. Never Obama

By your own actions- corruption- and inaction will the installed puppet candidate, Obama now fail.

Should have run fair and honest primaries.

Should have not advantaged Black over Female- should have let them make their own case on their own merits.

WE lifelongs- and we ARE many- will protest against this fixed election. It has become a moral matter of democratic ideals.

Obama will never get our vote...

June 3, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  11. Venus

Sen. Dianne Feinstein – I agree with you that it's time for Hillary to give it up! However, she will not be on Obama's ticket!

At the moment... Obama only needs 35.5 more superdelegates and win the race tonight in MT and SD!!!

I know some of you are really pushing for Hillary to be on his ticket but... keep dreaming!

Also... Hillary lost this race because of how she ran her campaign so please stop trying to blame the media! After all – Hillary said she was Rocky!

Go Obama!!!

June 3, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  12. Grandma4Obama

No Veep for her. Secretary of State maybe.

June 3, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  13. Jan

No...No...please NO HRC as VP on the ticket. I am a long time republican (haven't voted Dem since Kennedy) and have been really enlightened by Obama and ready to cast my vote for him in November. I have even considered working for his campaign. However, I will NOT vote for the Democratic party if HRC is in any way involved. I will be forced to vote for McCain even though I don't want to. She is the most evil and devisive woman I have ever heard speak. There is absolutely NO favorable quality that she possesses that would make her a positive to the ticket. On top of that...she brings along Bill. PLEASE MR. OBAMA.........DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  14. Jackie

This whole thing is a mess – the Democrats get more divided with each day. The media has basically run the primaries – telling people what to think, how to vote, and how they want us to interpret the results. This race has been amazingly close, however, the media acts like Hillary is no better than Huckabee.

The Democrats have made a huge mistake choosing this path. A Clinton-Obama ticket would have been a slam dunk and the Democrats could have been looking at 16 years in the White House, but no, the DNC and the media got greedy and decided to back an inexperienced candidate. As VP, Obama would have gotten the experience he needs and earned the respect of the country. After serving as VP for 8 years he would have had no problem claiming the White House. The DNC is taking a calculated risk that probably will result in a loss in November.

June 3, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  15. Mainely Carol

Due to HIllary's track record of not keeping her word during her campaign, would you really want to have her as a Vice President?
    She can' not be trusted. Obama would have to watch his back every day, not only with Hillary but then you have Bill lurking around.

Any good feelings I had for Hillary (as a white 62 year old female) have since gone with her selective, inventive lies and her her self centered scortched earth policy of Hillary over the nation.

For those who's prejudice is so strong and vow to vote McCain... Are they really Democrats? Or just people with big mouths that like to start trouble.. HIllary should be ashamed of the conduct of the oud mouth women she sponsered to attend the DNC meeting. Instead she and McAllif whip the emotions up and cheer the bad press so they can whine and say they have been 'cheated'. (whine, whine ;boo, hoo)

As she said to Barak when he went through the media hell over the preacher issue, ' if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen and don't whine." Good advice Hillary, now do as you say... Walk the walk ...

June 3, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  16. LaLa in KCMO

No VP for Hillary! She's better in the Senate, anyway. The senate needs people who can fight and battle it out. The President is the leader, the congress are the legislature (meaning they make the laws).

June 3, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  17. jeannie moore

Hell no!! No Hillary for VP!!!!!

June 3, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  18. never surender !!

SEn Hillary Clinton it is far better legacy to leave your supporters to uplift and uphold their badge of honor and loyalty. Never surrender! The Good of the democratic party let them do their own deed . The eyes of the world are upon this event. History will judge you a winner who does not back from doing the right thing for the people. A Ladey of strong convictions, never to be duplicated again.
    Hillary Rodam Clinton we respect and salute you. Never surrrender !

June 3, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  19. Rob R

Every prominent Democrat in the country realizes its time for Hillary to concede – except Bill and Hillary.

How Clinton supporters think Hillary can win by write-in vote is beyond me. Yes, 17 million plus people voted for Hillary, but 17 million plus people also voted for Obama – and Obama is going to be the nominee. I would venture to say that most rational Clinton supporters who are true Democrats will admit defeat and rally behind Obama because they know that is better then letting McCain win.

Hillary supporters really piss me off when they say they will vote McCain, especially the women. Your vote is supposed to go to the candidate whose views and ideas are more in-line with your own. Do you even know what McCain's positions are? Do you really think he would serve your interests more than Obama?

If you want to honor your precious candidate, voting for the real opposition, the Republicans, is not the way to do it.

I am glad though that whenver someone posts such a message, there are 50 people to smack that person down. It gives me hope that there are enough true Democrats out there that will vote for the ideals and issues and not just the person.

June 3, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  20. Nia

**My comments never seem to make the cut, but if it does**
    This will be a campiagn to remember. I knew when I woke up this morning and heard a Clinton supporter close to the campiagn say that she was conceding, told staff they should turn in there expense reports and would be paid through 6/15, was arranging meetings with big financial supporters to help with the 20 million dollar debt and that she was making plans to meet up with Obama to work together in the general election, that it was to good to be true.
    Like I anitially figured it will take a tazing to get the Clintons out of the campiagn. I still don't understand the thought process to vote for Hillary, someone who clearly has no control over her campiagn; the finances and the people. But some how is qualified at running this country.
    They way a person runs thier campiagn is a clear sign of how they will run our country and function in the Oval office. So far the only one to do that succesfully has been Obama. McNot bankrupted his and just recently had to clean house of unethical lobbyist....

June 3, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  21. DeeJam - Los Angeles

I don't think she should be VP. She would have to work under someone she says she feels she's more qualified than. That would mean that there would be too much tension between the two. I think she should concede and ask her supporters to keep their minds open to Obama. They should not automatically pledge allegiance to Obama or McCain immediately. Instead, keep their minds open and ask themselves which candidate best represents their interests.

June 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  22. GERALD STROTHER

yes it is go Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  23. Go Hillary

Next time... run a fair primary.

Think twice before you force a candidate on the people.

Think twice before you savage your best candidate just to advance the weaker- but Black- candidate.

Next time let the VOTERS- not Oprah, the Kennedys, the DNC, the Media, the Kerrys, the Shrivers, the Superdelegates- DECIDE.

Dimwits, you have now permanently Lost 50% of the party. The 50% who ALWAYS votes.

This time that vote will NOT be for the installed party nominee.

June 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  24. Ed, Santa Fe NM

HILLARY CAN GO SUCK AN EGG.....

NO VP FOR THE CLINTONS

June 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  25. MD

Nobody cares what you think. You have shown yourself to be of poor judgment.

June 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |