June 3rd, 2008

Clinton backer Feinstein says it's time to end

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/03/art.fein1.gi.jpg caption="Feinstein is a supporter of Hillary Clinton."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Major Hillary Clinton supporter Sen. Dianne Feinstein said Tuesday the final primaries mark a “moment of truth” for the New York senator, who should end her campaign.

The California senator also repeated her view that Clinton should be tapped for the vice presidency.

“I think after the campaigns are wrapped up today, it is in fact a moment of truth,” Feinstein told CNN. “I think a decision has to be made about whether keeping this nomination wide open is in the best interest of winning in November. I do not believe that it is, and I’m a very strong supporter of Hillary being placed on ticket as a vice presidential candidate.”

Feinstein, who endorsed Clinton last summer, has resisted calls for her to use her influence to convince the White House hopeful to abandon her presidential bid, although she said last month that the protracted primary contest was making for dangerous friction within the party.

“The reason I say this is because each one of them represents a different constituency. The constituencies are knocking heads at the present time,” said Feinstein.

“There are women all over the country and particularly in my state of California who think she has not been treated fairly. They want her to stand tall. One of the reasons she stayed in the race was to stand tall. She’s done that. The two of them together, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, cover the constituencies of America and I think represent a working team that is unprecedented in the United States.”

“I think the time has come to end the primary, to put the ticket together, to bring people together and to march forward together into the convention.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Candi SC

Good Luck Senator Feinstein on your request but what is keeping Hillary in the race and will hurt her is her campaign manager. McAuliffe is a jerk and he want Hillary to go down with him. She should have stayed with Mark Penn. He was a better solution for her in my opion. Women in this country has really gotten what Hillary promise to continue until the end. Now the end has come so what is the problem. Also McAuliffe should take into concernation that Bill will present a lot of baggage for her so what do she want? Her name dragged in the mud or just say I have fullfil my duties and I want to go out gracely and help the democratic party win. Hillary stop letting others put ideas in your mind. You can mess up a good thing if you keep listening to the idiot McAuilffe.

June 3, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  2. shane

Hillary CLinton seems to think anyone who is calling on her to leave the race is "picking" on her. Its not that people want her to leave the race becuase they hate Hillary Clinton. People are calling on her to end her bid because John Mccain must be defeated in November! If the situation was reverse, people would be tryeing to get Obama to end his bid, although I happen to think that Obama would of dropped out by now. I respect Hillary for her tenacity. BUt when does tenacity turn into stubborness and even obsession?

Obama/Bloomberg 08

June 3, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  3. sandra fisher

Obama and Clinton must work together, this is the first time in my life i have ever seen so many young people concern about the world. I say stop looking at color and look at logic. Purple, Blue, Black and White do not matter we all bleed. And so many young men in the war are dead because of this war thats not ours.

June 3, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  4. The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty

she and the whole party needs to talk to billary, to booba, to terry mccaulife, carvilel and the rest of her nest,
    they are turning so bitter, so racist, so divisive, it is incredible, and remember she nor will will ever concede, just like they never ever apolgoize to anyone for anything.. they are the kind and queen and feel entitled to this land..

i am so sick of the clintons

June 3, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  5. Stella Oliveros

Hillary is WANTED? The new topic will she do the right thing? I thought she was doing the right thing by running for president...So why is now everyone so worried about Hillary covering all the holes that Obama has?
    If I were Hillary they would have to pay me at least 40 million to support the guy she knows has no back bone and is the worst to be president of the US. Her name will be in jeopardy. As a matter of fact I would get out of the whole thing right now and wait 4 years when everyone realizes that Hillary was supposed to be the next president. Let them learn their lesson of the day...I'm sorry their lesson of 4 years.
    Hillary they robed you of the presidency and now the need you in order to win the general elections… what an oxymoron. It just comes to show they can’t live with us and they can’t live without us.
    I’m sure Hillary is not a quitter just because Bill said this is his last time running for any political event does not mean that Hillary will follow. She will have an easier time in the next term if she stays out of all this chaos right now. If the Democratic party decided to give her the boot why would they recruit her now? She should do the right thing let them suffer for their mistakes isn’t that how kids learn and how adults get their act together?
    Hillary for president or NOTHING at all……Wait until 2012 she deserves best never second best.

June 3, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  6. ben

I sincerely hope the Democratice nominee has some say in his or her choice as a VP running mate.

June 3, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  7. Terry

Its real simple either Obama lets Hillary be vice president or he will lose in November. It's up to him.
    Most of the Hillary supports will either cross over and vote for Mc Cain or write in Hillary in November if he doesn't make her vice president.

June 3, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  8. Kristen

Well Feinstein does not need to be pushing for any Obama Hillary ticket. I think the nominee has earned the right to choose his or her own VP. Hillary after all her friction causing does not need to be on any body’s presidential ticket. And if she doesn’t endorse Obama tonight then the proof is in the pudding. Clinton is not about this party or this country. She is all about herself. Obama beware........No Obama/Hillary 08

June 3, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  9. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Hillary CANNOT stand tall – she should stand trial – for totally destroying a major political party

June 3, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  10. Celtic

Why should she quit?

Lord help us if Obama gets the nominee and the White House. America is doomed with this man in office.

Clinton has been stabbed in the back by her own fellow Senators and Congressmen and women. How dare they!!!!! They are like Judas for sure!!!

This once Democrat will now go Republican for sure.

June 3, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  11. Chamorrita60

What the heck is wrong with ALL these people? Let's END this foolishness and START focusing on Sen. McCain for GOD'S sake!!

All this stupidity is getting silly and it's NOT helping the party. This has dragged on long enough. We're tired of this nonsense.

I mean come on, how many times can you say "She's Lost" ??

Let's MOVE on. Please

June 3, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  12. Anthony, Dallas, Tx

It is time to end this nonsense. Hillary has totally destroyed the party with all this corrupt stuff she has done. I am behind Barack 100% and if her supporters want to vote for McCain in the fall, "GOOD FOR YALL". I am struggling trying to make it and if you all decide to vote republican because of your own selfish ego, then I pray for all the pain the republicans will do for another 8yrs. The reason I say 8yrs is because if you all think you can vote for McCain now and think that the Obama supporters will vote for Hillary in 2012 then you are sadly mistaken. For the woman all over youtube and the news at the commitee meeting on saturday, you better calm down and get with the program because you don't have too much longer to vote for change.

June 3, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  13. Dave C - NJ

Clinton was treated fairly...her campaign was a joke and the press was accurate in their portrayal.

June 3, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  14. mama4obama

Im a white working educated woman who really does not see that the media coverage has been biased. I really dont see why women out there feel that way. The attacks on Barack Obama have been equally nasty.

I hope that women out there really look at what we have for a future if they choose to vote for McCain. The guy is a cheating dog...and we all know you cant teach an old dog new tricks.

Obama has shown Hillary great respect even when the reverse was not true. Give him the chance to fight for you and this country. We need it.

Hillary...you did a great job and I wish you the best, but it is time hon.

OBAMA 08

June 3, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  15. Lost it

When you all- with the help of Oprah, democratic celebrity families, the biased media, and the Hillary haters- decided to sabotage Clinton and to boost Obama... you lost the GE right then and there.

Americans want fair play. They reject racism and REVERSE racism. They saw the B--ch and Ho insults hurled at Hillary Clinton and the adoration poured on your anointed Obama.

We puked. But by Nov, we will just vote against the great hoax.

June 3, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  16. Jeff Radun

I just read that the
    ARG Poll SD Clinton 60% Obama 34% ^% undecided
    ARG Poll Montana Clinton 44% Obama 48% 8% undecided.
    What do the Supers do if she pulls off wins in these 2 states.
    She will have won the last 3 and they crown Obama.
    Suicide

June 3, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  17. Y

Please Hillary, don't cause anymore friction or division in the party. You had 8 years in the White House, please give someone else a chance. Why are you fighting so hard to prevent a black man from being President? Please be a leader and show integrity to your followers.

June 3, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  18. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

Amen!

Ms. Feinstein, tell me something that I don't already know. Now, if you can just convince that psychotic woman, Hillary and her do-boy, Terry McAuliffe of that same wisdom, you'll be doing a grand for the sake of the Democratic Party.

June 3, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  19. Media control

Last ditch effort to stop Hillary from getting any votes by saying she will concede! Americans are nothing more than Pawns following the Media Cult! Consider a name advertising slogan.......The Best Brainwashing, wish it were real news programing on television.......Stay tuned to CNN the most pretend to be what you want to see on t.v.

June 3, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  20. Marc in DeKalb, IL

If by "not treated fairly" you mean ... "did not win" and "was treated like anyone else", then yes, she definitely was.

She had a LOT of baggage going into this primary. Is it a surprise that people called it up?

Obama had some of his baggage revealed, too, and Clinton ran an almost entirely negative campaign, but in the end... Clinton represents something that America doesn't want... politics as usual.

... she was the wrong woman for what could've been the right time, running on a platform first of eminence and after her Super Tuesday wrap-up plan failed... on a platform of "I have been treated unfairly", "I'm the most qualified" (i.e. embelishment or outright lies), and "Obama is awful" (consistent negativity).

If she was a man and ran on that platform... with the credentials she has, her criminal past, and her shady "tenure" as First Lady... she would've never made it. Her eminence was BECAUSE of both gender and affiliation with her husband (sort of paradoxical if you ask me) ... and I *REFUSE* to accept her eminence as Vice President on the same grounds, or on the grounds of appeasing people over IMAGINED slights when she is NOT the right person for the job.

I will never vote for this woman, in any capacity, President, Vice President, or even White House janitor. I am not being vindictive, I merely feel that her personal character flaws go beyond the grotesque, and I would prefer to keep someone of such contemptible character as far away from ANYTHING resembling politics as possible.

June 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  21. Mary

NO WAY SHOULD SHE BE ON THE TICKET FOR VEEP! GOSH, SHE"LL NEVER LEAVE THE WHITE HOUSE IF INVITED.

HRC has proved herself to be the most difficult woman in America to get rid off, no sane person will want to enter into any deal with her.

HIllary, its time to give it up, just not meant to be. Don't have dreams about 2012 either, its NOT going to happen. Obama has a young white woman in the wings to replace you as his veep!

Good luck paying off your $20 million debt!!

June 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  22. Dan (TX)

With half her campaign staff saying "Yes" and the other half saying "No", which is it? Guess we might find out later this week.

June 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  23. Chris

Why are people pushing her to drop out today, While people are voting? Are they scared Obama is going to loose 2 more today in States is was going to win? Is that it?

Let her end it tomorrow if she wants to drop out. Calm down people. I smell a cover up!

June 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  24. Eric M.

I agree with Sen. Feinstein. But what the Clinton's camp is doing–especially in these last hours–is not helping her case to be considered for the VP slot. There are better ways to improve her bargaining position. Creating more uncertainty and chaos is just not one of them. I hope she realises that and does the right thing, which is to concede the race to Obama tonight!

Eric M.

June 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  25. RAY AVARE

THERE IS GOING TO BE ALOT OF BUYERS REMORSE. THE TRUE POPULAR COUNT HAS BEEN DISCREDITED, REPLACED BY A FLAWED, UNREALISTIC UNDEMOCRATIC PROCESS! THE STRONGEST, CANDIDATE LOSES TO A ROOKIE, WEAK, DELUDED OBAMA WHO WINS BY DEFAULT. WHERE IS OUR LEADERS COMMON SENSE AND SENSE PERIOD? MCCAIN WINS OUR SUPPORT, NEVER THE PRETENTIOUS, INEXPERIENCED, FAR LEFT LIBERAL OBAMA. GOD HELP AMERICA., DISILLUSIONED DEMOCRAT

June 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |