June 3rd, 2008

Clinton backer Feinstein says it's time to end

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/03/art.fein1.gi.jpg caption="Feinstein is a supporter of Hillary Clinton."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Major Hillary Clinton supporter Sen. Dianne Feinstein said Tuesday the final primaries mark a “moment of truth” for the New York senator, who should end her campaign.

The California senator also repeated her view that Clinton should be tapped for the vice presidency.

“I think after the campaigns are wrapped up today, it is in fact a moment of truth,” Feinstein told CNN. “I think a decision has to be made about whether keeping this nomination wide open is in the best interest of winning in November. I do not believe that it is, and I’m a very strong supporter of Hillary being placed on ticket as a vice presidential candidate.”

Feinstein, who endorsed Clinton last summer, has resisted calls for her to use her influence to convince the White House hopeful to abandon her presidential bid, although she said last month that the protracted primary contest was making for dangerous friction within the party.

“The reason I say this is because each one of them represents a different constituency. The constituencies are knocking heads at the present time,” said Feinstein.

“There are women all over the country and particularly in my state of California who think she has not been treated fairly. They want her to stand tall. One of the reasons she stayed in the race was to stand tall. She’s done that. The two of them together, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, cover the constituencies of America and I think represent a working team that is unprecedented in the United States.”

“I think the time has come to end the primary, to put the ticket together, to bring people together and to march forward together into the convention.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Over the Hill(ary)

After all the mud she's slung at Obama? I don't think so.

June 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  2. JB

This society as a whole, is incapable of taking responsibility for it's own actions. This can be seen with the increase in frivolous lawsuits, and the inability for anybody to say I am sorry.

Hillary Clinton would have walked away with this nomination IF:

She said I am sorry, when appropriate
    She didn't try to cheat (by changing the rules)
    She didn't lie so easily. (Bosnia, with no apology)

Instead she blamed everyone else for her troubles, furthering the epidemic of "it's not my fault" in this society. Also furthering an inaccurate stereotype that women always blame someone else for their problems.

And today, her supporters continue that trend by blaming Obama/Obama supporters/turncoats/judas's and anyone lese they can blame for her demise.

Grow up and grasp the truth that people are repsonisble for their failures and successes.

The sooner Hillary comes to grips with this, the sooner she will be back!

June 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  3. Veronica

FIGHT TIL THE END HILLARY !!!! We love you!!!

June 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  4. Sherry in Kentucky

You said it, Diane. Let's just end this and come together as a party. Hillary has been very ill served by folks like Terry McAuliffe and Lanny Davis. She deserved much better. I have put my hard feelings behind me, it's time for Hillary's supporters to do the same.

Obama '08

June 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  5. Clinton Supporter

Why are they trying so hard to push Clinton out of the race? Looks like a dead even race to me.

If they push her out, looks like I am voting for McCain this year, because Obama sure is NOT getting my vote.

Jeff

June 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  6. Darryl M. Arlington Texas

Everyone is talking but Clinton not hear it........

June 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  7. Griff

The rumour's. The rumour's, from Obama's Doomer's....
    Dem, Dem's are Doomed..... Ask Obama, he know's...

June 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  8. Marv...

I truly question the reasoning skills of Feinstein comment about Hillary being tapped as VP. I think anyone within the party who makes such a suggestion should be thoroughly examined or at least questioned about their motives.

If you want to see an administration conducted like a three wring circus, then suggest that Hillary is on the ticket. Who would be able to control Hillary and Bill Clinton? A perfect example of that is what we are seeing at this very moment. This scorched earth policy in which they employed through out her campaign is the very reason for the split in the party.

For anyone to repeat the fact that Hillary wasn't treated fairly during this campaign is truly off mark. When have we witness any Presidential candidate, democrat or republican who was treated fairly? She’s the only one to cry about it.

Bottom line Mrs. Feinstein, who in Washington would be capable of controlling a Hillary and Bill Clinton, marching around the world, thinking they were President and Vice-President? That is a disaster waiting to happen. I would strongly suggest that the people of California take a serious look at Sen. Feinstein’s reasoning skills for making such a hurtful suggestion to the party.

There is a country full of Women who are more qualified and more dedicated to the party than Hillary Clinton. Plus they won't bring a distraction like Bill with them. Bill is not a benefit anymore, he's a liability.

It’s time to get real for this country. We are in a world of hurt due to 8 years of complete disregard for common sense. Let don’t let that crap spill over into the Democratic Party. Let’s get on with the business of correcting the mistakes of Bush/Cheney. Let’s stay true to the fact that democratic are generally more intelligent and better informed voter.

June 3, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  9. Babloo

I dont think She should be on the ticket. She will become a pain to Obama. we have seen what sort of decency the Clinton's have maintained at the white house. People have seen enough of her now over teh campaign as well. This is the right time she must exit gracefully.

June 3, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  10. Fred up north

Hillary has nothing that Obama is lacking . She is old school ,he represent change! Hillary is GOP in Democratic clothing!

June 3, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  11. dian

I agree with Feinstein. It's time for Hillary to concede and back Obama whether she is put on the ticket or not. I am a professional female and I back Obama. I don't believe she was treated unfairly.

Obama 08'

12. *O*M*G*

As an Obama supporter this is a two sided proposition....

HEADS, she finally gets out of something that's been over long ago.

Tail, VP!

I DON'T LIKE TAILS, but understand this is POLITICS with a TWO SIDED COIN

13. R. Grayson

To promote Hillary as the VP candidate shows a misunderstanding as to what this whole contest is about. On the one side we have a force for change and hope and a new way of doing things. Millions of NEW VOTERS are responding. People are coming over from the ranks of the independents and Republicans. Even some of McCain's own staffers have seen the light. That is what Obama brings.

On the other side we have "I'm a fighter" Clinton who represents every vicious, dirty trick, lying, and half truth, mudslinging, throw the kitchen sink, OLD STYLE POLITICS. She would be at home in Louisiana or Chicago, two places that are famous for that kind of politics.

But what we are seeing this year is a chance to do it all differently. People love their country, and ache to see us working together instead of bickering. Enough of the fighting. Send it to the "dustbin of history."

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO!

Don't put Hillary on the ticket. Then it's all over. We (the independents and Republicans) will go home. The opportunity will be blown. The chance to HEAL THIS COUNTRY will be gone.

14. john

To all my American friends.

Everyone outside of the USA knows that your votes do NOT count it has become very clear that the only votes that DO count are those controlled and manipulated by DIEBOLD and S ES machines and the REPUBLICAN party has had control of these machines for years through Chuck HAGEL.

FORGET your November election just email DIEBOLD and ask them who has won in NOVEMBER and save yourselves a load of time money and effort.

15. Tiffany from Virginia

I am a moderate independent. I've watched from the sidelines this battle between Obama and Clinton. For once Feinstein has said it best. Though the two camps obviously cover different groups in America, this is the best solution to creating a strong front in beating McCain. So Dems, it just depends if y'all want to come together and finally agree ... on something!

16. wonder

Sorry, no can do, I, and a large number of others I've talked to, do not know enough about Obama, he has no good record to check how he really thinks, not voting in the IL senate or congress has not been good, we don;'t really know where he stands on a large number of things, he's avoided making a yes or no decision on a number of things BUT he says he has good judgement, Not good enough, I don't go by just words, that's how we got BUSH, he made the SAME promises as Obama. That's scarey in itself. We know Clinton and we know McCain, they both have records to check, and experience. So if Clinton isn't the nominee, I will have to go with McCain, if she was VP on the ticket, it would be just a figure head to get votes, just like he does everything else, just like "throwing his grandmother, his MENTOR, his priest friend of 20 years and now his church under the bus for political reasons ONLY. Not good enough, he can not be believed yet.

17. Dee, St. Louis

Thank God another one from Hillary camp that can count!!! Go Obama

18. Mark

Quitters never win and winners never quit

June 3, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  19. Next Prez picks Supreme Court Justices!!

Remember DEMS, this next president may get to appoint 3 NEW Supreme Court Justice.

DON'T SEND OUR COUNTRY BACK 100 YEARS WITH MCCAIN.

VOTE DEMOCRAT!!!

20. sacto joe

And thus the pressure starts to force Senator Clinton on the ticket. This is really a sad commentary on the women's movement. They are far more interested in getting Clinton "in position" to become President than in giving Senator Obama his rightful due to pick his own VP.

21. TP, NYC

Let's clarify: Hillary does not need to concede because she has already LOST. No, she should not be VP. She had a chance to leave with dignity and she chose the dark side. These are now acceptable qualities for a VP? At least let's have a VP who accepts reality.

22. Gary of El Centro, Ca

It's time to end the campaign for sure, but I think Obama needs to look elsewhere for his VP. He needs a foreign policy expert to balance out his ticket and Hillary's Bosnia experience doesn't cut it.

23. Ralph

Too bad Feinstein .....Obama will lose BIG TIME in November and some of it will be thanks to you....also hope you lose the power in the congress.

June 3, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  24. Hillary rises

The DNC is using its women to do the dirty work of destroying the female candidate.

Like we will be fooled into believing this was a fair and honorable primary process.

We lived through all the vulgar insults, the denigrating comments, the demeaning of Hillary.

I remember Obama mocking and jeering her- Annie Oakley.

I remember Obama dismissively brushing her off his shoulder.

I remember the strong-arming at the flawed causus states.

I remember Michelle Obama needing to think about voting for the democrat, if the nominee was HRC.

I've already THOUGHT about my vote. AGAINST Obama is the only criteria after all this crap you have heaped on Clinton.

June 3, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  25. Joseph

No Clinton VP.

How would President Obama keep Hillary and Bill in check? They've already shown that they feel entitled to the presidency. I doubt that they would be accepting of a subordinate role in the White House.

There are plenty of ways and there is plenty of time to bring the party back together for November other than adding Clinton to the ticket. There are plenty of VP candidates that bring more to the table in terms of electoral votes than Clinton as well.

June 3, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |