June 3rd, 2008

Clinton says she's open to being VP

Clinton told New York lawmakers Tuesday she's open to serving as VP.

Clinton told New York lawmakers Tuesday she's open to serving as VP.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton is willing to take the vice presidential slot on a Barack Obama presidential ticket, New York lawmakers told CNN.

CNN first reported Monday that Clinton was signaling the Obama campaign of her interest.

Two New York lawmakers told CNN's Candy Crowley that Clinton told them she was open to being Obama's running mate during a conference call.

One of the lawmakers said that former President Bill Clinton has been pushing the idea privately for several weeks.

Earlier, Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, told CNN that "I have reason to believe she is open to the V.P. slot."

On Monday, Obama insiders told CNN's Suzanne Malveaux that the campaign had received signals via informal channels that Clinton would be willing to serve as Obama's running mate. Clinton and Obama go into the final two primaries of the Democratic nomination fight Tuesday with Obama leading in delegate totals, although the results in South Dakota and Montana won't give him the 2,118 delegates he needs to secure the nomination.

Instead, the Illinois senator must depend on superdelegates - party insiders and elected officials - to put him over the top. Obama picked up 12 superdelegates on Tuesday, including former President Jimmy Carter, leaving him just 30 delegates short of securing the nomination. Thirty-one delegates are at stake in Tuesday's primaries.

Related video: Clinton open to V.P. spot

1. TREY

wow....there's actually gonna be a BLACK MAN as the prez...this is history!!!!!

2. The elephant in the room

Hillary has humbled herself to be open for the Veep spot. Let's be humble and welcome Hillary and her supporters. There is no need Obama supporters to be arrogant because remember we are on the same team. That goes for Hillary supporters too. It's time to let bygones be bygones and win the election then restore America. This is coming from an Obama supporter who is looking at the big picture.

Obama/ Clinton 08!!

3. jimmy

Obama has always maintained that this election is not about him, Hillary or Maccain, and if he believes this, I seen no harm in bringing her as a VP choice. Personnally I can't think of anyone more qualified or more deserving.

4. An Independent Hillary

Although I would prefer the ticket to be the other way around, this is probably what's best for the Democratic party and ultimately the country. Hopefully Obama will place Hillary in the VP slot. That would be an unbeatable combination – and Hillary could really go after McCain too!

5. Just Great

Go ahead and take her, Obama. Go against everything your campaign has stood for. I won't vote for Hillary as the nominee or as the vp. Hillary on the ticket means I vote for McCain.

6. DJ - Texas

I pray to God that the doesn't happen... It's not time to go soft... Obama doesn't need her to win.

Remember, she lost after trying every trick in the book to destroy our nominee. And, then there is Bill...

Pray hard people...

7. RRO

Obama needs her more than she needs to be VP. She could stay in Senate, and use her base to advance, but the party needs her on the ticket if they are to stand a chance of winning.

Obama/Clinton 08

8. GL

Let's hope Obama has sense enough to NOT ask her to be VP. After six months of hyper-crappy media coverage of this entire process, I would be very disappointed to see concessions made to the loser of the contest. What kind of change is that? Part of Obama's appeal is that he is not Clinton, not Bush, not McSame...

Obama/Anyone but Clinton '08

9. felice, Fredericksburg, VA

The nerve of her! Barack can select whoever he would like to be his running mate. Someone that he can TRUST and work with. Somehow that does not describe her. Besides there would be so much continued drama as long as the Clintons are anywhere near the WH..... GO AWAY already!

10. Pamela, Detroit, MI

Again an example of the privilege Hillary believes is owed to her. After all the race baiting comments and the disrespect of not conceding before angling for the VP slot is too much! Pick someone who knows how to bow out gracefully! With all of the conflicting news stories today it sounds like she cannot even control her campaign or herself.

11. JP

Clintons represents old politics.
    If she came to the table alone, I think it could possibly be worked out. Bill is a liability, and Obama's campaign will be scrutinized enough.
    I think he should offer her a cabinet position.

12. Yes we can!

this is MESSED up!....she did all this screaming and crying for WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....he DOESN'T NEED HER ON THE TIX AND NOW IT'S GOING TO MAKE HIM LOOK BAD IF HE DOESN'T OFFER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SHAME ON HILLARY......THIS IS REALLY MESSED UP!!

13. jes

Please, I hope this is not true! If she say yes to that incompetent, arrogant jerk she will loose a great deal of respect from so many supporters including me!

14. andrew s. rostolder

if obama picks you for his running mate it will have been an extreme tacticle error. oh, yeah, i forgot, never count the clintons out. more then one way to skin an obama

15. Rob - Georgia

Reality Check: He can't win without her on the ticket. It's as simple as that.

16. Tom

Obama promised a change is Washington politics -Hillary as VP is same old BS in washington – Jim Webb is the best

17. G'Obama '08

Two independents with Republican leanings just told me this morning there is only one way they would absolutely vote for McCain . . . Obama takes Hillary as his VP. Don't do it, Barack!!!

18. Dan (Redmond, WA)

The only reason I would prefer that ticket is if all of Hillary's supporters will truly stay home or vote for McCain on election day.
    Otherwise, the Clintons are a distraction in the White House that Obama doesn't need.
    Can you see Bill Clinton sitting idly by? I can't. And that is a problem.

19. Michelle

Girl from Louisiana, I agree with you. At first I was for Hillary and against Obama, then switched my opinion because of the negative campaign she was running. I believe he can win without her.

20. Obama 2008

No, she will not let him sleep in peace

21. t-bone

"Serving as Barack's running mate", CNN? SERVING???

I think you meant to say "Obama can't win without her".

June 3, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  22. Denial

hmmm .... not a bad idea .. put Obama will have to weigh the pro vs the cons ...

they are other persons he can choose besides Hilary ...

I hope she campaigns for him .. even though she doesn't get it ...

June 3, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  23. Voter

Yeah right she is waiting for Obama to get shot so she become the president hahahahahhhh.... not gonna happen

June 3, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  24. Akif Noor

I don't thing its a good idea!!! Obama needs to go with fresh VP with new kind of politics leaving behind the old one with old people...

June 3, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  25. Stephanie, Virginia

I am appalled that she is even being considered – we don't need to be saddled with Clinton scandals. She might bring some people with her but she will turn the repubs out to vote against her in droves.

It would also put me in a difficult position – I totally support Obama, and I have since over a year ago. I have given time, money, made phone calls, etc. I don't think I could in good conscience ask people to vote for Hillary Clinton – I don't trust her, I don't like her, and she has constantly mismanaged her campaign and cried sexism every time someone calls her on her bad behavior.

If you want to kill this new movement we've built, put her on the ticket.

June 3, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |