June 3rd, 2008

Clinton says she's open to being VP

Clinton told New York lawmakers Tuesday she's open to serving as VP.

Clinton told New York lawmakers Tuesday she's open to serving as VP.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton is willing to take the vice presidential slot on a Barack Obama presidential ticket, New York lawmakers told CNN.

CNN first reported Monday that Clinton was signaling the Obama campaign of her interest.

Two New York lawmakers told CNN's Candy Crowley that Clinton told them she was open to being Obama's running mate during a conference call.

One of the lawmakers said that former President Bill Clinton has been pushing the idea privately for several weeks.

Earlier, Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, told CNN that "I have reason to believe she is open to the V.P. slot."

On Monday, Obama insiders told CNN's Suzanne Malveaux that the campaign had received signals via informal channels that Clinton would be willing to serve as Obama's running mate. Clinton and Obama go into the final two primaries of the Democratic nomination fight Tuesday with Obama leading in delegate totals, although the results in South Dakota and Montana won't give him the 2,118 delegates he needs to secure the nomination.

Instead, the Illinois senator must depend on superdelegates - party insiders and elected officials - to put him over the top. Obama picked up 12 superdelegates on Tuesday, including former President Jimmy Carter, leaving him just 30 delegates short of securing the nomination. Thirty-one delegates are at stake in Tuesday's primaries.

Related video: Clinton open to V.P. spot

1. Lisa in Cincy

No FROM DAY ONE.

2. Jeff D, South Bend, IN

You have greater than 50% NEGATIVE ratings towards you, and 56% of the country thinks you are a LIAR and UNTRUSTWORTHY. You are everything he stands against in his campaign.

The crazy Hillary-nazi's aside, if he brought the Clinton circus onto the ticket, he would need a food taster.

3. Andrea E- Atlanta

I am a supporter of Barack Obama and I must agree that adding Senator Clinton to the ticket would be a landslide victory for the Democrats come November. It doesn't matter who McSame brings on as VP they do not have the popularity that Senator Obama and Clinton have due to the long primary campaign. GOP the Dream Team is coming after you. We have a lock on every voting block imaginable. That's why McSame was out sympathizing with Hillary and saying, "she's ran a great campaign", yada yada yada. He does not want to feel the wraft of Hillary. Look out McSame cause your ship is about to sink.

4. JMV

Obama is crazy if he takes her.
    Can you just imagine her and her supporters just putting a knife in his back everyday.
    Thanks but no thanks.

5. Arron

As an independant-minded Republican, I'd be open to voting for Obama, but not if Ms Clinton is on the ticket- not in a million years. I do not think that naked greed and unrelenting ego should be rewarded.

6. Dusacre

BAD BAD BAD IDEA.

I JUST SEE MCCAIN AND THE REPUBLICANS PLAYING THE ADS WITH THE WORDS OF HILLARY AGAINST OBAMA.

SHE HAS ATTACKED OBAMA SO HARD AND SO NEGATIVELY THAT SHE WILL BE MORE A PROBLEM THAN HELP

WHAT ABOUT CLINTON IN THE WHITE HOUSE WITH MOTHING TO DO.

WITH ALL RESPECT TO THOSE WHO SUPPORT THIS IDEA; IT IS A BAD BAD BAD IDEA.

7. Realistic

Politics make strange bedfellows, er, bedpersons.

8. DPZ of Houston

KNOW YOUR ROLE AND HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!
    I dont know why you tried to fight the Obama Train...

9. Griff

Running Mate... With her on Top.....

10. Gabrielle, Lancaster SC

No...please No!

I'm not saying that she is not a good politician, but I can not forget the Kennedy comments. She may say that she didn't mean it, but I don't trust her. She has proven that she is a fighter and she wants t o win at all costs. I don't trust her that close to Sen. Obama. I really couldn't take something happening to him.

11. Accountant Guy

I pray that he does not offer it to her, he does not need her on his ticket. Yes we can and Yes we did!!

Obama '08

12. Caryn, WDC

Her overwhelming win in Puerto Rico is going to help us in the general election how exactly?

13. Greg in Annapolis

I certainly hope and do think that the Obamas have had quite enough of the Clintons. It is time for Hillary to pack her bags and go away. She can ride out her term as Senator and then she needs to leave Washington. Nobody likes her anymore! She is DONE!

14. Paizley

Of course she is open to it. I don't trust her and I hope Obama doesn't either.

15. uko

Please, tell her that there is no vacancy for that spot. It was already filled.
    We appreciate her interest greatly.

16. Geo from Toronto

No hillary, obama does not deserve you. You are far better than him, and why would you join his ticket after all the negative comments his campaign has had to say about you. Please dont do this, it will be a big mistake. Run as an independant.

17. Alice

Obama will be making a huge mistake offering the VP candidacy to Hillary. Along with Hill, comes Bill....and what an albatross that will be with his narcissistic attitude. Obama does not need to tote the Clinton's baggage!

18. chicago chris

oh crap. now all the Hilly supporters will be forever commenting that if she isn't the VP they'll vote for McCain. WHO CARES ANYMORE? Vote for McCain and stop making 300 postings a day to CNN like anyone cares

19. White Guy for Obama

Don't fall for it Obama! HRC represents the 'old politics' that we are trying to get away from. HRC is everything you campaigned against.

HRC wants to be on the ticket so that she can do you like they did Vince Foster & Ron Brown. That way she can ascend into the office of President. Mark my word! She is evil and will do harm to you.

NO HRC AS VP.

Obama/ Edwards or Obama/ Anyone but HRC '08

20. Lora B.

He had better offer Clinton the v.p. slot if he expects her supporters to support him any time soon.

And if Obama doesn't ask Clinton to be the v.p. than it proves that he is an ELITIST who thinks he is better than she and all her so-called "uneducated" supporters.

21. Susan

I am a women and even if "Hillary" is on the ticket I never ever would vote for a democrat. Their beliefs go against our country. I never realized how power hungry the Clintons were until I watched this primary season. Barack Obama is like a little kid compared to other politicians. He has no experience to be president. 46 years old. He is like a child almost.

22. Girl from Louisiana

I hate the idea of her being on the ticket, but if it will make the democrats when, go for it!

23. GL

um. No.

Please go away.

24. Nicole in NE

I love that the party is finally coming together.

I wonder how the media will treat it though: will they always be asking – what did you mean you said this about Obama/or what did you mean when you said this about Hillary?

Will the Republicans use their fight in the primaries against them?
    It just make me wonder?....

I cannot wait to beat McCain.
    He will be horrible for this country in a time it desperatly needs to look at the average American's struggle!

25. Kate

Call me crazy, but should't Clinton concede and endorse Obama first. If in her head she is in it to win it, then there lies a dillema.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15