June 3rd, 2008

Clinton says she's open to being VP

Clinton told New York lawmakers Tuesday she's open to serving as VP.

Clinton told New York lawmakers Tuesday she's open to serving as VP.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton is willing to take the vice presidential slot on a Barack Obama presidential ticket, New York lawmakers told CNN.

CNN first reported Monday that Clinton was signaling the Obama campaign of her interest.

Two New York lawmakers told CNN's Candy Crowley that Clinton told them she was open to being Obama's running mate during a conference call.

One of the lawmakers said that former President Bill Clinton has been pushing the idea privately for several weeks.

Earlier, Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, told CNN that "I have reason to believe she is open to the V.P. slot."

On Monday, Obama insiders told CNN's Suzanne Malveaux that the campaign had received signals via informal channels that Clinton would be willing to serve as Obama's running mate. Clinton and Obama go into the final two primaries of the Democratic nomination fight Tuesday with Obama leading in delegate totals, although the results in South Dakota and Montana won't give him the 2,118 delegates he needs to secure the nomination.

Instead, the Illinois senator must depend on superdelegates - party insiders and elected officials - to put him over the top. Obama picked up 12 superdelegates on Tuesday, including former President Jimmy Carter, leaving him just 30 delegates short of securing the nomination. Thirty-one delegates are at stake in Tuesday's primaries.

Related video: Clinton open to V.P. spot

1. David Newport, OR

Not a good idea...having Hillary on the ticket will not improve the chances of winning the swing states. She adds nothing except making the party "appear" unified.

2. Cooper

I like Hillary, but she can never truly play second fiddle – not even for a minute. Though on paper she seems like a smart choice, she will sabotage things for him so she can come back in 2012 and go for the number one spot again.

3. rob in austin

i'd have an easier choice if she were on the ticket with him. i would support that ticket. obama hasn't been able to fully win me over but together, it'd be a strong ticket with amazing things coming from the oval office.

4. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

OMG – she'll knock him off so she can have the top spot !!!!!!

Don't let her blackmail you Barack. Remember Bill comes with the package.

5. Lisa

This is probably the best thing although I don't like it.

6. BARAKFORLIFE

What in the world are you doing CNN? I wrote an great piece and I cannot see it! Media foolishness!!

7. issac- Canada, Toronto

As long as Bill clinton stays at home....this is a winning ticket...Hillary Clinton is a fighter and deserves the VP position

8. Diana New York

NO...NO...NO...

IF HILLARY BECOMES VP OBAMA WILL LOOSE ALOT OF VOTES AND DONATIONS INCLUDING MINE.

FORMAL FEMALE HILLARY SUPPORTER.

9. Hmpf!!

After the horrible way she behaved...I am open to voting Republican if she is anywhere near this ticket. She's too emotional and too manipulating and too much of a negative for Obama to have to address and fix all of the ugly lies she said about him.

We will have our first woman President; Hillary has at least paved the way for that to happen soon. But she can't be it. We need a woman who wants to compete and behave like an equal responsible adult. Not one who wants to be a tough fighter one minute then play the victim Chick Card the next.

I waited ten years for Hillary to announce she'd be running for president and I feel she let me down. She played into the stereotypes and caused her own failure. She is NOT the woman we need to make this history.

10. Of course

Well if this news is true. Good for her. I think Obama would gracefully accept her.Together they'll make the dream team and one for the history books.
    Democrats '08

11. Tyler in Raleigh, NC

NOOOOO.... dont do it!!!

Clinton will of course take it, after all things happen all the time, you remember JFK and Lincoln right?

She will spend the campaign with Willy wagging his finger and saying more outrageous comments. If this campaign is about change and the future, Clinton is NOT IT.

I know it would unite the party, but at what cost??

12. Jim

Whether Hillary is on the ticket or not, the point of this election is that America can't afford four more years of the failed Bush policies that John McCain has endorsed. We will have no solutions to the health care crisis, the war in Iraq, the housing debacle, or the sky rocketing gas prices unless America unites and votes for CHANGE

13. Girl from Louisiana

I hate the idea of her being on the ticket, but if it will make the democrats win, go for it!

14. Valerie

I hope Barack is not open to it. This woman would be a rock around his neck (figuratively).

15. Proud American

I dont know about that Hillary...... hmmmmmm?????

16. Mrs.L

I think she has a lot of "making good "to do for all the put downs and incideous, hateful, and racists remarks and accusations she made during this campaign. In other words. "Now you want to be my friend" HUH????

June 3, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  17. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

I bet she is. However, if I was Obama, I would tell her, "Don't call me, I'll call you!"

June 3, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  18. Chris

I would rather have it the other way around considering she does have the popular vote, but this would be the only way I vote for someone that stands on "change" with nothing to back the word up. I would vote have to vote for McCain based on experience and hope we get someone better in 4 years.

June 3, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  19. Canadian Neighbour

Obama / Clinton ticket ???

Wrong Combination !

June 3, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  20. Tom,West Michigan

Will somebody bring Clinton to the realization that she may NOT be
    WANTED by Obama? If you were Barack, would YOU want this
    shrewish pol to be at your side? Not me!

June 3, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  21. Mama4Obama

Wonderful! Let's get on to the general election and reclaim the white house and put life back into our economy!!Yeah!!!
    OBAMA/CLINTON '08 & '12

June 3, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  22. Mani

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

June 3, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  23. melisa

i wish u will when 4 year in 2012 can u beat to GOp i pray for u hillary

June 3, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  24. DemocracyNow2008

Senator Obama do not let Hillary become VP you have other choices that are more Progressive and honest.
    NO VP Spot for Clinton.
    Senator Clinton will be a problem and we do not need her baggage running along side of you.

I ask all Obama Democrats to say noway to Hillary for VP.

Obama do not pick her it would be a mistake .

June 3, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  25. obama08

hmmmm.....we'll see what we can do for you.

June 3, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |