June 3rd, 2008

Clinton says she's open to being VP

Clinton told New York lawmakers Tuesday she's open to serving as VP.

Clinton told New York lawmakers Tuesday she's open to serving as VP.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton is willing to take the vice presidential slot on a Barack Obama presidential ticket, New York lawmakers told CNN.

CNN first reported Monday that Clinton was signaling the Obama campaign of her interest.

Two New York lawmakers told CNN's Candy Crowley that Clinton told them she was open to being Obama's running mate during a conference call.

One of the lawmakers said that former President Bill Clinton has been pushing the idea privately for several weeks.

Earlier, Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, told CNN that "I have reason to believe she is open to the V.P. slot."

On Monday, Obama insiders told CNN's Suzanne Malveaux that the campaign had received signals via informal channels that Clinton would be willing to serve as Obama's running mate. Clinton and Obama go into the final two primaries of the Democratic nomination fight Tuesday with Obama leading in delegate totals, although the results in South Dakota and Montana won't give him the 2,118 delegates he needs to secure the nomination.

Instead, the Illinois senator must depend on superdelegates - party insiders and elected officials - to put him over the top. Obama picked up 12 superdelegates on Tuesday, including former President Jimmy Carter, leaving him just 30 delegates short of securing the nomination. Thirty-one delegates are at stake in Tuesday's primaries.

Related video: Clinton open to V.P. spot

1. enomisa

Don't do it.

You are too good for it.

Let your supporters WRITE you in and be the president.

June 3, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  2. 2sandjay

why would she want the v p after her husband said that obama has set her up obama will be a fool if he dose i pray that he act as if he has a strong mind

June 3, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  3. Rumpusgoopus

If she's the VP, who's going to be Obama's food tester?

June 3, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  4. Rick in Florida

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

BILL'S SCANDALS AND HER HIGH NEGATIVES WILL DOOM THE TICKET, AS INDEPENDENTS AND MODERATES RUN TO MCCAIN.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

5. Susie

I have such a problem with this story. "ajoint ticket was the best way for Obama to win"? Are you kidding me? Why can't Obama be free to choose a VP candidate that will be effective for his campaign? Is it because he is a person of color? There has been so much racism injected into this campaign that I have become very ashamed of the Democratic Party. Are people trying to say that Obama cannot win this election without the help of a white person? He has made a name for himself during this primary season without the Clinton's name recognition, and he can win this general election without the Clintons or their supporters.

6. Allyn

I say let her be V.P. better her pissing outside the house then inside...

7. JJ

It'll never happen. Too late, too much water under the bridge.

It's amazing to me that the dems have managed to implode in an election year where it would normally have been a given for them.

Go McCain – the only choice!

8. David

NO NO NO!!! – absolutely not. Politically – she literally and symbolically represents everything he's been fighting against. All those purple states now in play – you can just kiss those good-bye.

Oh...yeah... and the baggage thing... and 60%+ of the country thinks she's dishonest... and 51% of the public can't stand her (myself included).

Just to reiterate: NO NO NO!!!. Hillary, "You can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." Her behavior during the primary has been nothing short of disgusting and despicable, and, as such, is not to be rewarded.

Go back to Park Ridge, Scranton, Little Rock, Chappaqua or wherever you're claiming as your home this week. Just go away.

9. Gordon Bloem

How good of her to try and paint Senator Obama into a corner on the choice of his running mate.

10. Tom

NO NO – Clintons know too many people to make Hillary pres –
    Please NO VP for Hillary – The past record of the Clintons people in theri graves to too long

11. elm

With all the baggage that the Clintons have, that is the worst VP possible. Wait til the details of the Paul vs Clinton file get publicity.

Besides you would have to watch your back all the time..

12. Lori/MI

This woman is nothing short of evil as far as I'm concerned. Why can't she make herself look good for a change and take the high road. She needs to endorse Obama without any stipulations. If she's announcing that she will take the VP spot and Obama doesn't pick her, she knows it will be hard for him to get many of her women supporters. This is putting him in between a rock and a hard place. She has too much baggage and she voted for the war and was in favor of the gas tax debacle. She knows if she can prevent him from winning it will open up her chances to run in 2012. If she is VP Obama will need to keep her out of the White House as much as possible. Otherwise she and Bill will be in his face telling him what to do daily or taking credit for anything he does good on his own. When will this women just go away?

13. Minnesota Obama Supporter

This would be a golden ticket for the Dems. Everyone wins. They both are extremley talented and bring good things to the table. We will take McCain if this happens

14. wood burns

If I want to vote for politics as usual, I'll vote for McSame.

15. Chris, Las Vegas,NV

This is FALSE she will not quit tonight!

Statement from the Clinton Campaign
    by Lindsay Levin6/3/2008 12:32:33 PM
    The AP story is incorrect. Senator Clinton will not concede the nomination this evening.

16. ClockWorkOrange

The only way Obama can win is if he offers her the slot. Personally, I think she should go back to the Senate, take the seat as the majority leader, and wield real power (much more than she'd have as the VP). But Obama will–at least–have to make a consilatory offer if he wants to win the general...

17. Young African American Male for Hillary

That's the only way I will vote for Barack Obama. If Clinton is not on the ticket I will stay home. It's my right and I can chose not to exercise it. As a young african american male, I feel Clinton has been treatly unfairly by the bias media and Obama supporters. I hope they don't forget. Obama can't win without support from loyal Clinton supporters like myself.

18. Brian

Though I've grown tired of Hillary over this primary season, a big part of me believes that having her on the ticket as the VP is the very best way to make sure Hillary's sometimes fanatical supporters do vote democratic this fall.

I will say, though, that I think it's sad so many of her supporters are willing to shoot themselves in the foot (by voting for mccaine) rather than voting for Obama – Obama being a candidate far more in line with what will serve them best over the next 4 years.

In fact it is downright hypocritical of her supporters to vote McCaine – it stands for everything Hillary stood against, and makes you wonder why these people even bothered being Hillary supporters in the first place.

19. Brandy, Chicago

There will have to be a great deal of compromise but it doesn't sound like a bad idea. She does need to wait until he asks her instead of saying 'ok I'll take it' It is Obama's choice and he should feel pressured by her to choose her. McCain doesn't stand a chance!!!!
    DEMS UNITE

20. pls dont..

i dont trust that woman anywhere near Obama....Next thing you know, he get "suicided"...and she is president.

just go away...enough already !

21. Liz in SD

No, no and no. The way HRC and Bill have talked about Obama in the last weeks is disgusting. Here in SD Bill said Obama "slimed" HRC through other people. Even in politics this is NOT a match made in heaven.

22. I didn't drink the Kool-aid

Go for it Hillary, That will put you one heartbeat away from where should be anyway.

23. DMS-AKA

Has she even been asked...?

Has she conceded yet?

How arrogant ......

I think Bill said it best" if you can't take the heat then POLITICS is not for you........including you Hillary. Don't cry foul using sexism (bad move)

OBAMA 08

24. NickNas

Here is the problem I have with this. If I were true to myself or ANYTHING or ANYONE else there is NO WAY I could work for or with ANYONE I so obviously think very little of and have shown so much disrepect for.

But I am NOT a Clinton.

The Fact that she woud take the 2nd seat to Obama is not only a bad Idea for Obama but shows she has ZERO convictions about ANYTHING!

ANYTHING to get power...Anything. Pitiful.

25. emily

let her take a job as a toilet cleaner for the White House, fine with me.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15