June 3rd, 2008

Republicans begin to highlight Clinton’s criticism of Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/03/art.youtube.clinton.cnn.jpg caption=" The RNC posted this video on YouTube."]
NEW YORK (CNN) – Hours before the polls closed Tuesday in the final two Democratic presidential primaries, the Republican National Committee began circulating a video of Hillary Clinton questioning Barack Obama’s qualifications to be commander-in-chief, and acknowledging John McCain has this important presidential credential.

“Senator McCain will bring a lifetime of experience to the campaign, I will bring a lifetime of experience and Senator Obama will bring a speech that he gave in 2002,” Clinton says in the one-minute video of CNN’s coverage of a news conference she held on March 8 – the day Obama won the Wyoming caucuses. “I think that is a significant difference. I think that since we now know Senator McCain will be the nominee for the Republican Party, national security will be front and center in this election. We all know that.

"And I think it is imperative that each of us be able to demonstrate we can cross the commander-in-chief threshold. And I believe I have done that. Certainly, Senator McCain has done that. And you will have to ask Senator Obama with respect to his candidacy.”

The RNC posted the video on YouTube early Tuesday afternoon, just as Obama was on the verge of locking up the Democratic nomination and speculation heated up about Clinton being his running mate.

Tonight, South Dakota and Montana Democrats hold the final two contests of the primary season. Obama is expected to secure the support of enough delegates to claim the party’s presidential nomination as early as tonight, and but no later than the end of this week.

An RNC official tells CNN to expect to see more of Republicans highlighting Clinton’s critical comments of Obama as the campaign now turns to the general election phase.

“We will use it repeatedly,” the official said.

1. Ralph V. AZ

Don't forget that McCain, despite his experience, he almost was kick out of office for ethics violations.

And don't forget Songbird!

According to documentation obtained by the U.S. Veteran Dispatch, not only did POW McCain promise to give the communists "military information" in exchange for special hospital care not ordinarily available to U.S. prisoners, but he also made numerous antiwar radio broadcasts.

Article V of the Code of Conduct is very specific in declaring that U.S. military personnel are required to avoid answering questions to the utmost of their ability and to make no oral or written statements disloyal to the United States and its allies or harmful to their cause. Any violation of this code is considered collaborating with the enemy.

The following is McCain's own admission of collaboration in an article he wrote, printed May 14, 1973 in U.S. News and World Report:

"I think it was on the fourth day [after being shot down] that two guards came in, instead of one. One of them pulled back the blanket to show the other guard my injury. I looked at my knee. It was about the size, shape and color of a football. I remembered that when I was a flying instructor a fellow had ejected from his plane and broken his thigh. He had gone into shock, the blood had pooled in his leg, and he died, which came as quite a surprise to usa man dying of a broken leg.

Then I realized that a very similar thing was happening to me.

"When I saw it, I said to the guard, `O.K., get the officer.'

"An officer came in after a few minutes. It was the man that we came to know very well as `The Bug.' He was a psychotic torturer, one of the worst fiends that we had to deal with. I said, `O.K., I'll give you military information if you will take me to the hospital.'"

June 3, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  2. J

Everyone is blaming Hillary for a remark made in the heat of the primaries months ago, it's not like she said it today....grow up.

June 3, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  3. Linda

That's why Obama did not use the kitchen sink strategy on Hillary because he knew it would come back and bite the Democratic party. How can she campaign on Obama's behalf when she used negative techniques. The Republicans will continue to ask her in a debate about this and she might be tired and start lying again. They will also go after Obama if Hillary's on ticket about old politics because that what Hillary represents along with her lobbyists. Obama would not be able to attack McCain on the lobbyists because that all Hillary used. Shame shame shame shame on Hillary. Just say no to Hillary as VP because she will only bring a lot of baggage (Hillary's own admission) and hurt the party.

June 3, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  4. Terrence (Winston Salem, NC)

OPERATION : SCORCHED EARTH

Obama/Sebelius 08

June 3, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  5. Valerie - St. Louis, MO

That is what comes out of her scorched earth campaign. As if it weren't enough that most White Americans were not going to vote for a mixed race man that happens to be mixed with African. This is why I cannot bear the though of Billary being on the ticket with Obama as his running mate.

June 3, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  6. enomisa

Once Hillary is kicked out of the race... All the HRC supporters like myself will willingly help you make your case.

They screwed Hillary... and though I don't care for you, McCain, I don't like rigging elections for one candidate by my own party even more.

So wait until tomorrow and gain the support of the HRC supporters who were betrayed by their own party.

Actually that line should draw us to you as well.

June 3, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  7. Tangee

See what happens when a mean vindictive woman obsessed with moments of grandeur arrives on the scene. NOT once did Barrack start playing dirty pool-he responded to her dirty pool...not even after this phase is over-we will still have to listen to her over and over again. Boy oh Boy, what a long road to the Whitehouse.

June 3, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  8. Video Guy

Please Mr Obama, do not sell your soul (Hillary as VP) to the devil herself, you can do it without her.

June 3, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  9. trellskig

OBAMA REBULICANS UNITE WITH US AND BRING THE GOP DOWN! Democrats are taking Washington back from the GOP this year.

June 3, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  10. Sapphire

I saw this one coming a mile away. Hillary didn't care what her comments would result in, she just HAD to make herself look big and Obama look small. This video is gold to the repubs and thanks to greedy, selfish Hillary, it will be worn out from now to November.
    NO VP FOR HILLARY!!!

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA, SIR
    CONGRATULATIONS ON YOU ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND HARD WORK!!! YOUR MOTHER WOULD BE SOOOOOOO PROUD!!!

June 3, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  11. Glenn

McCain is an idiot! Yes, he is a hero due to his POW status and a pilot. However, neither makes him Commander-in-Chief material. McCain's idiotic argument is like saying a male obstetrician is a trained MD, who has delivered 1000's of babies, could become opregnant and have a baby. In fact, some of the greatest military heros turned out to be disastrous as Presidents...look at Grant and Bush. Defense and security have always been the kingpin issues for Rove and Bush. These issues are important but Americans are tired of Bush and the direction he took the nation. McBush is tied to Bush 110% and Americans are tired of the "GOP way of doing political business." McBush is going to age really fast. He is so old and senile as it is.

June 3, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  12. Concerned

IT WOULD MAKE ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO MAKE HER THE VP CANDIDATE. SHE IS DESTRUCTIVE. HE SPOUSE IS UNCONTROLALBE. BESIDES, WHO NEEDS TWO PRESIDENTS AND ANOTHER ASPIRING TO BE PRESIDENT IN ONE ADMINISTRATION? BE SMART OBAMA, KEEP SEARCHING. I'M CERTAIN A MORE VIABLE CANDIDATE IS OUT THERE. JOHN EDWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. Cold Hard Truth

Sorry Joyce, you are dead wrong. Hillary is 100% to blame. had she simply touted her experience and not lumped in McCain's this would not have the same effect. But because she did we are now seeing the fruits of her misguided labor.

Absolutely NO to a VP spot for Clinton.

June 3, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  14. DISSAPOINTED IN OUR SYSTEM

HAS ANYONE ASKED THE QUESTION OUT THERE WHY DID WE ALL GO OUT TO VOTE IN THE PRIMARY??? SERIOUSLY. WHY? WE DID NOT PICK THE CANDIDATE YOU PEOPLE FOR OBAMA SHOULD FEEL DISENFRANCHISED TOO. THERES NO LIGITIMCY TO HIS NOMINATION. A BUNCH OF HOOKED UP SUPER DELEGATES MADE THIS DECISION, NOT US. THIS WAS A BACK ROOM DECISION, ITS BEEN OBVIOUS FROM THE BEGINING, BUT SERIOUSLY I FEEL DISENFRANCHISED, BUT I AM FROM FLORIDA, WE ALWAYS FEEL THAT WAY HERE. BUT OUR VOICES WERE NOT HEARD AND OUR VOTES NOT COUNTED. ANYONE UPSET ABOUT THAT? WE NEED TO TAKE OUR GOVERNMENT AND RETURN IT TO THE PEOPLE. FAIRLY.

June 3, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  15. susie

As a new Republican I say, "Let's go for it"!, let's win in November. Obama has to many questionable friends.

June 3, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  16. Joe Reg

I saw the ticket coming all along.

Obama/Clinton.

June 3, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  17. Anson

That's more than ENOUGH reason why she cannot be Obama's VP.

That artical says it all.

June 3, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  18. Tim

Instead of complaining about it, maybe this is a good thing – perhaps the RNC's plan will backfire and push Hillary supporters (at least the ones who aren't closet Republicans) back to voting for Obama...

June 3, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  19. JJ

this is why she cannot be the veep.

June 3, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  20. Tn

she need Bo payher DEBT

June 3, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  21. Agree with Farhad

You are so right. Having Hillary and Bill in the White House will bring alot of the old drama back; White Water, Bill's wandering hands and eyes... and not to mention all the interviews Hillary would have to give to explain why she would run with someone she discounted as President. There alot of VP candidates out there – Edwards, or Richardson – An African American and Hispanic ticket – WOW!

June 3, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  22. Holly

saw that one coming

June 3, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  23. BARAKFORLIFE

Bam Bam would be CRAZY to add Sillary to his ticket. She is no friends of the Obama Camo and would do violence to his message of change. It's time for HillBilly to go home and reflect on her 6 months campaign adn the rest of her career. BUH HYE baby!

June 3, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  24. fairandstraight

That won't work. All the DNC have to do is keep playing the words of McCain, "maybe 100." They have a weak candidate that expects to win the white house on the sympathy of him being a POW. Well, I think after finding him a millionare as a wife and being very well off himself, the US owes him nothing more.

This is being spinned to try to influence the superdelegates to give Hillary the nomination. It won't work!!!!

June 3, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  25. Young African American Male for Hillary

This is why Hillary has to be the VP. I won't vote for Obama if Hillary is not on the ticket and I am not alone. Arrogant Obama supporters are acting as if he can win the presidency without Hillary. He can't. How quickly we forget Walter Mondale. They both have energized different constituents and our base is stronger but if Obama goes at it alone he will lose. History has shown us that rivals can unite in the end for party unity and Hillary and Obama can do just that. I will stay home if Hillary is not on the ticket. I won't vote for McCain but I won't give my vote to Obama either.

June 3, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |