June 4th, 2008

Sources: Clinton will officially suspend on her run on Saturday

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/06/04/democrats.wednesday/art.clinton.gesture.gi.jpg caption="Sources tell CNN Clinton is bowing out on Saturday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton will officially end her campaign for the presidency by the end of the week, multiple sources told CNN.

Sen. Hillary Clinton said Tuesday that she will let her supporters and party leaders decide her course.

The campaign said late Friday that Clinton would be hosting an event in Washington Saturday to "thank her supporters and express her support for Senator Obama and party unity."

Obama and Clinton were in Washington on Wednesday to each address the influential American Israel Public Affairs Committee. The candidates ran into each other at the AIPAC conference and had a brief chat, Obama spokeswoman Linda Douglass said.

"She's an extraordinary leader of the Democratic Party and has made history alongside me over the last 16 months. I'm very proud to have competed against her," Obama told the Israel lobbying group.

Obama became his party's presumptive nominee Tuesday and will be looking to unite Democrats divided by the long and contentious primary season.

"I am very confident how unified the Democratic Party is going to be to win in November," he said in a Senate hallway Wednesday.

UPDATE:
The Clinton campaign has announced it is holding an event Saturday to "to thank her supporters and express her support for Senator Obama and party unity."

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. patsy, centerville iowa

Why not Caroline Kennedy for vice president?

June 4, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  2. No Hillary

I believe it when I really see her leaving... until then tuff to believe Clinton anything.

June 4, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  3. Eugene

Peace! Unity! Progress!

June 4, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  4. Micki

Well, I am sure it will maybe make the media happy if she hurries up and does this, for crying out loud they want blood from this women I think. You, the media got your way and your candidate of choice the nomination, now lay off of Hillary. All your reporters had nothing but good to say about Obama and just nothing postive to say about Hillary through this entire primary. If anything I think all of you owe Hillary an apology for the damage you did to her campaign.

June 4, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  5. Barbara Schieber

If you expect the Clintons to be civil, be civil to them.

I will write a book about the terminology used by the media to adress Hillary Clinton and her family during this race.

An adjective, in grammar, is a word whose main syntactic role is to modify a noun or pronoun (called the adjective's head), giving more information about to what the noun or pronoun refers.

Analyse your adjectives and you will see yourself.

June 4, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  6. jerrysf

What a shame. POTUS is a job that should be above affirmative action. If a leading Clinton fundraiser (and someone who HAD HELPED THEM PURCHASE THEIR HOME) had just been found guilty of 16 counts of corruption, the media would be going nuts. Only the dems could blow what should have been a slam dunk year.

June 4, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  7. Rob

Its time and history has been made

to Charlene–she can't run as an independent she's over 20 million in debt–people won't put more money into a losing situation

June 4, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  8. Donna

I wouldn't be surprised to see her run as an independent...I hope she doesn't though since she wants to make sure that McCain doesn't get into the White House....she should know that she will definitely be the "spoiler" that allows that to happen..........

June 4, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  9. GreatCampaign

It is a great campaign and it is time for all the democrats to unite and get behind the presumed nominee.

June 4, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  10. BIG LIAR OBAMA

obama is absolutely unfit to be president of this great country.
    I will not write Hillary's name in because I've heard talk about it might be counted for obama in some states.
    I will vote for the best man left standing and that is a true American – John McCain. This man is not Bush and he will not harm this country. I believe obama will destroy America.

June 4, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  11. Larry Buchas

What other choice does she have? Personally, I think she ran a tough campaign and deserves some credit.

Barack needs to take his time reaching a decision on the VP. I hope he considers Wes Clark or Governor Kaine of Virginia.

June 4, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  12. D.

This is good. She was looking bad as the hours went forward.
    The Clintons will not give up his personal matters regarding the Clinton Library.
    They will sheeply will go away because of their not wanting to disclose the donor list.

June 4, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  13. akaDoug

This former Republican and current Independent who would have voted for McCain if Hillary had won, will gladly support Obama, both at the polls and from my wallet. He will be my first Democratic pick in my 25 years of voting! However if Obama makes the mistake of adding Hillary to the ticket I will not be voting this year!

Obama please make a wise choice not one you feel forced into.

June 4, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  14. Elijah

hillary for vp

June 4, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  15. Wayne

Amen, Fred from Atlanta, Amen!

June 4, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  16. For Those Dems Voting For McCain...

We're gonna miss you all at the President Obama Innaguaration ceremony/celebration come January 2009! It's going to be one hell of a party literally and figuratively speaking!

June 4, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  17. Oh well...

Now I can probably focus on my work and not the election so much. Dangit!

June 4, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  18. Leah DiMarco, Texas

To the person that posted at 7;38pm

Of course her website is asking for money. She is 20 MILLION dollars in debt!!!

It is time to UNITE and take the White House back!

Obama '08

June 4, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  19. Fran

Her speech the other night was very disappointing and she had the nerve too talk about herself instead of giving Barack Obama the praise he should have received for winning... He won it fair and square..I hope you do not have the nerve to request to be his VP, because you do not have the honesty that is required for the position..

June 4, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  20. Wendy

After reading all the negative comments, will I vote for Obama (Clinton supporter here)? No way!

June 4, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  21. Monica for Obama in Indiana

Breaking News, Hillary just conceded, yea!
    By Hillary

June 4, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  22. Robby

At this point I feel completely alienated by the whole nomination process. Caucuses are a joke for starters. The way in which delegates are distributed makes absolutely no sense. Why not have a winner-take-all like we do in November? The Republicans do it and you know why?...IT MAKES SENSE!! Throw in the mess we made out of Florida and Michigan and the democratic party looks incompetent to say the least. As a New Jersian I know full well Obama will carry my state no matter what (we lean just about as far to the left as you can get), however, neighbor Pennsylvania is going to be much more difficult for him to net. Oh yeh, I also forgot about Ohio, West Virginia, Michigan, etc....states Clinton would have carried. Through our bumbling nomination process we chose the weaker of the two candidates for the general election and for that I hope the democratic party is taught a lesson. Kerry in '04? Obama in '08? Maybe in '12 we can actually get it right....

June 4, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  23. beth burkhart

Im sad......I am a hillary supporter and I would love to give my support to Obama but most of you that are for obama are such haters and so disrespectful. I know you dont even care for my thoughts. Please for the love of god he won, you got what you want. Can you all please stop trashing the woman!!!!

June 4, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  24. Peter FROM NJ

HILLARY, WE ARE PROUD OF YOU

June 4, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  25. Thomas

Dropping out....not conceding! Yes I believe she will leave the Democratic Party BUT I also believe that she will run as an Independent and will ask those who want to change the ' flawed' Democratic Party to follow her.

June 4, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |