June 4th, 2008

Sources: Clinton will officially suspend on her run on Saturday

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/06/04/democrats.wednesday/art.clinton.gesture.gi.jpg caption="Sources tell CNN Clinton is bowing out on Saturday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton will officially end her campaign for the presidency by the end of the week, multiple sources told CNN.

Sen. Hillary Clinton said Tuesday that she will let her supporters and party leaders decide her course.

The campaign said late Friday that Clinton would be hosting an event in Washington Saturday to "thank her supporters and express her support for Senator Obama and party unity."

Obama and Clinton were in Washington on Wednesday to each address the influential American Israel Public Affairs Committee. The candidates ran into each other at the AIPAC conference and had a brief chat, Obama spokeswoman Linda Douglass said.

"She's an extraordinary leader of the Democratic Party and has made history alongside me over the last 16 months. I'm very proud to have competed against her," Obama told the Israel lobbying group.

Obama became his party's presumptive nominee Tuesday and will be looking to unite Democrats divided by the long and contentious primary season.

"I am very confident how unified the Democratic Party is going to be to win in November," he said in a Senate hallway Wednesday.

UPDATE:
The Clinton campaign has announced it is holding an event Saturday to "to thank her supporters and express her support for Senator Obama and party unity."

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Pam

Mrs. Clinton has opened the door for females across the country including my new born grand daughter, however much I have wanted and waited for a female president, she is the wrong one for this time.
    She would not be good for the country with the aggressive attitude and take no prisoners way of doing of things. Besides the obivious fact of how poorly she ran her campaign, what would she do the counrty?
    I am proud of Mr. Obama, and have been a strong supporter of his from day one........OBAMA 08

June 4, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  2. NEVEROBAMA

GO MCCAIN!!!!!!

I AM PISSED OFF AND I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NOVEMBER

OBAMAMANICAS

ITS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  3. No Hillary

I be interested to know what health coverage will those employees get that worked 24/7 during the marathon campaigne. I mean what will they get after they are leaving the campaigne.

June 4, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  4. Sue

To Obama supportor:

Obama will be defeated by McCain by landslide in Nov.

To Hillary supportor:

Vote for McCain!

I am Hillary Supportor.

June 4, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  5. veronica

Lets be civil and stop being so nasty to each other.I ,an Omaba supporter,want to congratulate Hillary...she fought until the end..now lets all get together(Obama's and Hillary's supporters) and get the republicans out of the white house!!!

DEMOCRATS 08!!
    OBAMA 08!!!

June 4, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  6. Historian

Hillary , listen hun. We know it hurts. But rather than being a spoiled brat and sobbing why?????!!!!!!! Hold your head up , and prove to us the character that you claimed to have when you where trash mouthing the future President. Oh.... and now you wanna be the Vice Pres .....WHY ? So we can have Bill run the White House for a Thrid term . Could have imagined the arguements they would have had. Secret Service would be breaking them up everyday. Plus with her husbands lust for other women she would have keep one eye on Bill and the other on the Bill.

June 4, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  7. Chuck

Hillary did not end it gracefully. Quite the opposite.
    The absence of any congratulatory remarks on Tuesday night and not conceding the contest displayed some psychological issue or denial that Hillary possesses.

Now, why wait til Friday. Why not Thursday. Delaying this concession by 48 hours makes no sense. People will remember this. It will hurt her in the future.

June 4, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  8. Herman in LA

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah

It's over...

I voted for Bill Clinton now it's time for Barack to lead this country you will not be forgotten.

Obama 08!!!

June 4, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  9. former HRC supporter now backing BHO

enough with all this fighting my son is in the war and my family needs for him to come....PLEASE STOP IT

June 4, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  10. Best of Luck

She ran an amazing campaign, but Obama is the rightful victor. I myself am I Clinton supporter but I will give my full support to Obama. I don't want another 4 years of disaster and failure from McCain that Bush has already caused. We must all unite now and take down McCain. For those who will choose McCain because Hillary didn't win didn't win I have to say this: Do not make the wrong choice, stop and ask yourself this: What do I really want? Do I want a president who will just continue the same failed policies that Bush has imposed, or a president who will change Washington and help us get back on the right track. McCain will only make things worse than they are now, but Obama will try to fix things, so don't make the wrong choice. As for Hillary i say best of luck and your campaign was phenomenal.

Obama '08

June 4, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  11. Reality

THANK YOU LORD !!! 🙂 FINALLY !!! LETS COME TOGETHER TO BEAT INSANE MCCAIN !!! His direction is the wrong direction for this country.

OBAMA all the way in 2008

June 4, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  12. Sue

It is a sad day for America .

To Obama supportor:
    Obama will be defeated by McCain by landslide in Nov.

To Hillary supportor: Vote for McCain!

I am Hillary Supportor.

June 4, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  13. Thomas

You have to think that Obama's supporters would be a little nicer to Hillary's supporters on here since he would need us in November to win. Instead of insulting her and us they should be more respectful, if you want to unite the party.

June 4, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  14. Michael, an independent Canadian

Why won't CNN accept my comments?

The Democrat party to widely divided for Obama to reunite it for the general election. The very aggressive campaign by a single-minded Clinton has polarized her voters AGAINST Obama.

After months of telling the American public that he is not electable, inexperienced, has an incomplete healthcare plan, is weak on foreign policy and cannot win the blue collar vote, HOW CAN SHE HONESTLY TURN HER POSITIONS AROUND AND NOW TELL EVERYONE THAT HE CAN WIN IN NOVEMBER???

June 4, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  15. CB

Not all supporters of Obama are against Clinton.

I support her in the VP slot.

Plus, some of th supposed "Obama" supporters are republicans in sheeps clothing.

June 4, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  16. john williams san diego, ca.

How do you spell ego??????C L I N T O N

June 4, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  17. Marilyn

The Democratic party will not be united in November. Moderate Democrats will be voting for John McCain, which will give him the presidency. The liberal wing of the party will have, once again, cost Democrats the White House.

June 4, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  18. PATRICIA, RANCHO MIRAGE, CA.

Now Hillary, go on a long vacation with your daughter, and leave Bill at home, and wait for his 3:00 am phone call. God Bless American and Obama.

June 4, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  19. Mary WA

Stop trashing her now. Her supporters are hurt, disapointed and angry. They don't need salt in their wounds. How does this help Obama? How does this unite us? Hillary is now doing the best thing.That is what matters now. Maybe if she is treated with respect things will go easier for all. Obama asked this of us. If you support him be civil, please.

June 4, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  20. tj in fla

Suspend is the Key word. She still needs to raises to $20-30 million .
    She will not be gracious, whatever that means,.

June 4, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  21. kanarally

Being a woman and a feminist, its sad for me to notice that whenever hillary appeared on the screen, particularly in the past 3 months, i had to change the channel. The aggression, pettiness, sense of entitlement, opportunism she displayed and the last night speech crowned it all for its utter lack of graciousness contributed to it. I realized that i was doing it for bush earlier.

That she was contesting from democratic party is an oxymoron. There was nothing democratic in the way she went about throughout.

June 4, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  22. BARAKFORLIFE

Senator Clinton and Supporters: Hillary you have run an incredible campaign and I respect your efforts towards the presidency and your historic position in American history. Though I am a staunch Obama supporter, I understand and emphathize with your supporters who wanted to have you as the Democratic nominee. We are ALL democrats, whether we support Senator Obama or Senator Clinton and we all are connected by the common threads of core democratic principles, which Senator Obama will competently and proudly develop into solid policy for America's future. Losing the nomination is not easy, but know that you fought hard and well. Now is no time for Hillary's supporters to get nasty and to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Know WHO you are; know who WE are as a democratic family. Let what binds us be stronger than that which divides us and let's win in November!! Much love.

June 4, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  23. Venus

Thank God she is not going to be president nor VP!

Last night was the final straw for me!

So much for her being a fighter! She blew it!

June 4, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  24. Deb, IN

Like I have said before I vote for the best QUALIFIED candidate not the PARTY so I guess I will be voting for John McCain. It's too bad she was(IS) the best candidate. I will enjoy watching the DEMS go down in flames in November.

June 4, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  25. NO to Hillary as VP!

While we've been at odds with each other within the party, the rest of America has been watching. They've been watching Hillary behave like a spoiled brat, and this is going to be a HUGE burden for Obama's campaign.

Richardson will make an excellent VP. He will be an excellent ally in the Latino communities. He is experienced in world affairs, well rounded, and simply a great human being.

Obama / Richardson 2008.