June 4th, 2008

Sources: Clinton will officially suspend on her run on Saturday

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/06/04/democrats.wednesday/art.clinton.gesture.gi.jpg caption="Sources tell CNN Clinton is bowing out on Saturday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton will officially end her campaign for the presidency by the end of the week, multiple sources told CNN.

Sen. Hillary Clinton said Tuesday that she will let her supporters and party leaders decide her course.

The campaign said late Friday that Clinton would be hosting an event in Washington Saturday to "thank her supporters and express her support for Senator Obama and party unity."

Obama and Clinton were in Washington on Wednesday to each address the influential American Israel Public Affairs Committee. The candidates ran into each other at the AIPAC conference and had a brief chat, Obama spokeswoman Linda Douglass said.

"She's an extraordinary leader of the Democratic Party and has made history alongside me over the last 16 months. I'm very proud to have competed against her," Obama told the Israel lobbying group.

Obama became his party's presumptive nominee Tuesday and will be looking to unite Democrats divided by the long and contentious primary season.

"I am very confident how unified the Democratic Party is going to be to win in November," he said in a Senate hallway Wednesday.

UPDATE:
The Clinton campaign has announced it is holding an event Saturday to "to thank her supporters and express her support for Senator Obama and party unity."

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. JC

It's over.
    Whatever she wants to do with her campaign, it's her business.
    Whether she concedes or not, it's up to her.
    It doesn't matter.
    It's over.

June 4, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  2. pam Eugene OR

I hope it is true this time and not another one of her games!

June 4, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  3. Dancindukes

Hillary – Something tells me we have not seen the last of you this year.
    It's just not very "Clinton" of you.

June 4, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  4. tblno

Great Race Hillary

GO OBAMA!

June 4, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  5. unions are not stupid

Thank you Sen Clinton I had lost a great deal of respect for you, but if you stay true to this at least this one thing about being behind a democrat in November. You have lied many times now is your chance to redeem yourself.

June 4, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  6. J Taylor

Thank God, reality has set in!!!

June 4, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  7. A Democrat No More

What a sad day when the best candidate for the nomination has to drop out because of the insane delegate system. She won 18 million votes and all the big states we need to win in November.

June 4, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  8. The Truth

And that's exactly three days too late! And an example of the negative attitude of her whole campaign....and why she won't be picked as the V.P.

Let this be a lesson learned: 'Play nice" next time Sen. Clinton....bye-bye.

June 4, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  9. Nita

Good three days too late. I thought maybe she was waiting for him to be knocked off

June 4, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  10. clfelton

Since cnn is spinning let do this I think she going to run as a Independent

June 4, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  11. Glenn In Colorado

It's time to move on to the next stage of the campaign. Hopefully all the bitterness will end soon....

June 4, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  12. Can it get Worse? Ca.

Who wants a Bush McShame Ticket?

June 4, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  13. MK ULTRA

******************************************
    ************************************

All you embittered Clintonites are pathetic! Enough with your day late dollar short threats already! Go on and vote for McCain I dare you! All this "he needs her more than she needs him" is such a joke. Is that so? Then why did your horse lose? Oh right that vast conspiracy? Only left wing this time?? Give me a break, Obama does not need her, please have fun throwing your vote away on McCain, and PRESIDENT OBAMA will see you in 2009 🙂

************************************
    ******************************************

June 4, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  14. B - NYC

***************************************************************************
    With due respects to Senator Obama for running a good campaign, despite needing four times the money and the title of "media darling" to win.

His supporters need to realize a few things... They have been rude and disrespectful to Senator Clinton therefore, rude to her supporters... What they are failing to realize is that HE NEEDS HER, SHE DOES NOT NEED HIM and we will NOT support him, which means, he will in fact not have enough votes to win in November...

I would start being a bit respectful if I were you...

***************************************************************************

June 4, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  15. Clinton Supporter

I'm already a registered Independent, so I don't have to anything to get away from the DNC. Now I can sit back and watch. Can't imagine why Hillary would be willing to work for this guy, but she's loyal, I do know that, so she probably will. I hope she doesn't agree to be the VP nominee. Why prop him up and be linked to a loser??

Her intense loyalty will probably lead her to advise her voters to go for Obama, but what she says and what we do remain to be seen. This Clinton supporter will either sit it out or vote for McCain. Just so my vote doesn't go to help BO. Ralph Nader? I finally understand what he's for.

June 4, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  16. Ronnie in South TX

Get away.....get very far away.....

June 4, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  17. OBAMACAN- CA

I love you Hillary and you would make a great VP. Even if you don't get the spot then I believe in your sincerity to unite all of America.

June 4, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  18. lynn

What a sorrowful day that will be.........
    out with experience...in with the empty WORDS

Shame on the superdelegates.......

June 4, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  19. Anita

She ran a great campaign. Democrats United...

June 4, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  20. The Truth

Mcain 2008....you're the only one who seems delusional.

Mcain = Bush = the economic ressession that we're in right now.
    Enough said

Obama '08!

June 4, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  21. B - NYC

I really hate all of the Obama supporters that have been so rude and disrespectful...

Remember... You need us, we don't need you!

June 4, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  22. David, Silver Spring, MD

Drop out? Seems to be she's already out and she's already been dropped. What's left for her to do?

June 4, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  23. hollerbode

what took you so long?

June 4, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  24. Hillary is Going Down!

For: McCain for 2008 7:19

And McCain surely represents 4 more years of the screwed up Bush Administration. But I understand. You enjoyed the many screw up of the republician party. With Bush 28% favorability rating.

June 4, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  25. The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty

has she conceded???????????????
    I dont know what she will say next/
    i dont trust her.............
    not yet..
    not yet, dont see it yet,
    seh has not apologized, she never gracoisly said he is the winner

i dont trust her..

these are the clintons
    her website says differntly..........as of today 6:28 p.m. central time..

check h er website,

she says one thing and does another..

June 4, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |