June 4th, 2008

Sources: Clinton will officially suspend on her run on Saturday

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/06/04/democrats.wednesday/art.clinton.gesture.gi.jpg caption="Sources tell CNN Clinton is bowing out on Saturday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton will officially end her campaign for the presidency by the end of the week, multiple sources told CNN.

Sen. Hillary Clinton said Tuesday that she will let her supporters and party leaders decide her course.

The campaign said late Friday that Clinton would be hosting an event in Washington Saturday to "thank her supporters and express her support for Senator Obama and party unity."

Obama and Clinton were in Washington on Wednesday to each address the influential American Israel Public Affairs Committee. The candidates ran into each other at the AIPAC conference and had a brief chat, Obama spokeswoman Linda Douglass said.

"She's an extraordinary leader of the Democratic Party and has made history alongside me over the last 16 months. I'm very proud to have competed against her," Obama told the Israel lobbying group.

Obama became his party's presumptive nominee Tuesday and will be looking to unite Democrats divided by the long and contentious primary season.

"I am very confident how unified the Democratic Party is going to be to win in November," he said in a Senate hallway Wednesday.

UPDATE:
The Clinton campaign has announced it is holding an event Saturday to "to thank her supporters and express her support for Senator Obama and party unity."

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Carlee

Well, this year it means I am voting Republican because I am not voting for Barack Obama and I am a registered democrat.

Carlee from Michigan
    38 yr old female

June 4, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  2. Debra in California

And another flock of bird-dogs flew by......I'll believe it when I see it.

OBAMA 08

June 4, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  3. fl hillary

NOOOOO!!!!!IT'S A SHAME REALLY PEOPLE JUST VOTE FOR HIM BECAUSE HE'S BLACK...LIKE GLENN BECK SAYS,"SOME WHITE PEOPLE VOTE 4 HIM JUST 2 SAY THERE "OPEN-MINDED"AND NOT RACIST.

June 4, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  4. American on the outside looking in!!

Finally!! It's about time! Now lets unite!!

June 4, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  5. Jake145

I'll believe it when I see it.

June 4, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  6. Erika

Good now we all can move on

June 4, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  7. TXBad1

John Mc Cain all the way 2008, Dean and the Corrupt Party slapped us in the Face as Voters so now Why Vote there Pick Obama, Never and CNN you print what you want but always interfere with freedom of speech on what we post! whats next in November a Repeat of Calling the Vote in Early again and Electoral College Bringing us Obama!

June 4, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  8. Venus

She's late! The race was won and O-V-A-H last night!

Yes! I bet she got a lot of calls from many of her supporters in the Demo-Party about how she conducted herself last night?

Go Obama! No more Hillary!

June 4, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  9. Vig

What choice does she have? I support her running as an independent. She received millions of votes, has millions of supporters who are not Obama endorsers. As far as I'm concerned she owes the Democratic party nothing – they turned on her and handed the nomination to Obama. If she runs as an independent she will also get Republican votes and independent votes.
    Not only that, but we don't know what could be unearthed about Obama between now and the convention that could force him out. We just don't know. Hail Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  10. NotThisTime

Drama Queen!!!

11. Wes

Congrats on a great campaign, Senator Clinton.

Congratulations Senator Obama.

Congratulations to our democratic party for two excellent candidates who want to achieve great things.

12. susan

She should go with the Independent party. what did her party do for her. I hope Obama didn't forget to send MSNBC, Howard Dean and the pathetic cowards in the DNC that screwed her over a THANK YOU NOTE. Obama didn't go out winning with a bang– she did– 9 out of 14 states. I wonder why we don't see the footage of Obama saying the"popular vote" is the most important vote anymore. I will never vote for him and it isn'tbecause he's black, I'll put her name on the ticket or vote for the republican. what was done to her was blatantly unfair and obvious. It wasn't just sexist.Lessons need to be learned for future candidates. i bet you won't read this one on the air,

13. Munni, India

Senator Clinton,
    I am from India and yet, it was great to see you run for the possible nomination. It is a shame that it all boiled down to campaign and media management rather than substance. The world has seen the impact of such election in shape of Bush for the last 8 years. I was hoping that having made that grave mistake once, of straying from substantive issues, media and people wont get caught up in dialogue-delivery and stay on issues, but I guess, the media and polity in US is quite similar to media and polity in India, except that politicians and media in India are less focused on religion/faith issues of candidates. The result of nomination process is sad indeed. But I wish you and your family all the best, and I hope that the world will see more of you. Regards
    Munni

14. Les-Wa

ON MY WAY SENATOR MCCAIN TO DONATE AND CAMPAIGN FOR YOU!

DEMOCRATS UNITED AGAINST OBAMA!

15. NEW DEMACAIN

OH MY , I BET CNN WILL BE BREAKING OUT THE BUBBLY TO CELEBRATE!! THE MEDIA IS NO LONGER TRUSTWORTHY!!!

16. Lilarose

I am still writing Hillary in come November.

I wish Caroline Kennedy would retreat back into her private world and stay out of this presidential race.

Her family has done its thing. Buh-bye, Caroline.

17. ao

it's a sad day for America for the most qualified to be pushed away. Anyhow, either it's unity ticket or i sit this election out.

18. Reality Check

Did no one get the memo?? This isn't news she lost already. Its over now its over then and it will continue to be.

REALITY CHECK!!!!

19. clfelton

she going to run as a Independent

20. Sam Rose

Friday?
    After holding the Democratic Party hostage for over 3 days-
    and bullying Obama to pick her????

a true show of her selfishness–

Get out NOW-be a woman we can be proud of–not a woman who is now setting a poor example to our daughters–

21. DiNot

Congratulations for running a great race and doing the right thing. Hillary will have a place in history. Time to unite and fight for the future.

22. Mike, Atlanta GA

Obama not offering the VP spot to Clinton is just what we Clinton supporters would like for him to do. This way we can vote for McCain and he will not have to guess why he lost the election.

23. Jon V

Republicans for Obama/Clinton 08!

June 4, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  24. David Jordan

Until last night I was begging to buy Obama/Hillary or Hillary/Obama bumper stickers. The dream ticket. But watching the speeches last night, where Obama utterly magnanimous in Victory, towards his opponent and Hilary, Defiant and backing her own cause, has left me with the thought that the best man should have won a long time ago.
    How is it that someone of her caliber didn’t not want to acknowledge the moment. Let alone be so badly advised as to how to play the most important speech of her life. VP is Second Chair, that is not negotiable. and he almost seemed to be offering it to her. Alas now she can no longer be trusted and I would not be happy with her as VP anymore than I would be with Dick Cheney in that position. A sad end to an amazing race.
    At least McCains speech was Humble (well kind off) "The imperfect servant " comment was genious.

June 4, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  25. Tammy - KCMO

Why are you bothering to report this now? How many times have we been told this before only to hear her deny it later? As much as I'd like to, I won't buy it until I actually hear it out of her own mouth.

June 4, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |