June 4th, 2008

Sources: Clinton will officially suspend on her run on Saturday

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/06/04/democrats.wednesday/art.clinton.gesture.gi.jpg caption="Sources tell CNN Clinton is bowing out on Saturday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton will officially end her campaign for the presidency by the end of the week, multiple sources told CNN.

Sen. Hillary Clinton said Tuesday that she will let her supporters and party leaders decide her course.

The campaign said late Friday that Clinton would be hosting an event in Washington Saturday to "thank her supporters and express her support for Senator Obama and party unity."

Obama and Clinton were in Washington on Wednesday to each address the influential American Israel Public Affairs Committee. The candidates ran into each other at the AIPAC conference and had a brief chat, Obama spokeswoman Linda Douglass said.

"She's an extraordinary leader of the Democratic Party and has made history alongside me over the last 16 months. I'm very proud to have competed against her," Obama told the Israel lobbying group.

Obama became his party's presumptive nominee Tuesday and will be looking to unite Democrats divided by the long and contentious primary season.

"I am very confident how unified the Democratic Party is going to be to win in November," he said in a Senate hallway Wednesday.

UPDATE:
The Clinton campaign has announced it is holding an event Saturday to "to thank her supporters and express her support for Senator Obama and party unity."

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Chipster

Are these the same sources who said she would end her campaign by last night? CNN, MSNBC, etc. have been beating the anti-Clinton drums for months. It's amazing that she still had 18 million voters loyal to her after the way the media has hounded her and the way Obama supporters (or Republicans pretending to be Obama supporters) have been so vicious with their accusations.

Those who are truly Clinton supporters would never, EVER, vote for McCain. That's a croc! He stands for everything we oppose so don't believe it when they claim to be McCain supporters. Same for Obama supporters who have said they would vote for McCain. They're Republicans posing as Democrats so don't fall for it. Obama and Clinton both support Democratic principles. So do their real supporters.

June 4, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  2. Jack

Dear "Puff Daddy",

She lost to a brother with a funny name from Chicago, and you think she should "save the nation" by running as an independant? ? Wow,. man, please tell me the name of your dealer! That must be some very good good stuff you're puffing on!

June 4, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  3. AJ

First I want to comment on this McCain for 08 comment. WE DON'T WANT ANOTHER 4 YEARS OF BUSH PRESIDENCY AND POLICIES. PERIOD. HE HAD A CHANCE IF HE WAS INDEPENDENT AS HE WAS IN 2000. NOW HE IS TOWING BUSH'S LINE AND BELIEVE ME I DON'T WANT TO SPEND MY HARD EARNED MONEY ON A WAR THAT WAS A CON AND COOKED UP JOB, GIVE TAX BREAKS TO THOSE WHO DON'T NEED OR DESERVE IT, IGNORE NEEDS OF COMMON MAN (SUCH AS MEDICAL INSURANCE, DECENT EDUCATION) ETC.ETC.

Back to the subject I wanted to comment – I was sorry to see Sen. Clinton's performance yesterday. She was a spoiler of one of the greatest events that have happened in this country and most likely in this century. She was all for herself and instead of congratulating Obama and her supporters, she went on and on on trying to become a "proxy" President!! It was awful and altho I would like her to be VP, she seems to be bent on blowing her chances.

June 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  4. Charles

I will not believe it until she says she is quitting. Not suspending, not someone else saying she is quitting: only when Hillary Rodham Clintom says I am quitting the race.....only then will I believe it.

June 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  5. Nicole, Atlanta

Clinton supporters I know that you are feeling a little down because Hilary did not secure the nomination but it's time for the democrats to unite. The reality is that Clinton and Obama are very similar when it comes to their ideologies and what they feel is best for us as a country. We have to get past our feelings for the candidates and pay more attention to their messages and what's in our best interest. You have to remember that McCain is more of Hilary's adversary than Obama ever was. You are doing Hilary and yourselves a big disservice if you vote for McCain or stay home. Let's unite and make this country better for us and our future generations.

June 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  6. Nik

In other news, the Japanese have conceded WWII.

June 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  7. Chris

Now she can be home and bake cookies..lol

June 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  8. Pat

All of the media personalities have been so pushy about this issue, and after listening to Obama (I'm a Hillary fan) talk about Hillary, VP, winning, etc. issues, I think he is sounding like someone wise enough to heal the wounds of not only the Democratic party but of the Democratic process. As Obama said, it is hard to drive so hard for 17-18 months and just screech to a sudden stop. I was thinking of voting for McCain if Hillary didn't get it, then I listened to McCain and said "No way!". Then I thought I may just not vote at all. But all of us need to start making a difference and the only way that happens is if a citizen votes. I am seriously considering voting for Senator Obama. He sure speaks with a lot more wisdom that the media give him credit. I'm listening.....

June 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  9. barackobama44thpresident

Thank you Charles Rangel. Thank you Democratic members of Congress for strongly urging Clinton to end her campaign on Friday and endorse Sen. Obama.

Rangel was very upset with her for her lack of graciousness towards Sen. Obama last night, and it seems like others were very angry with her defiance as well. Since she is so mean-spirited and exercized little heart and judgment last night, I am glad others stepped up to the plate to make sure she puts an end to her political games and do the right thing towards Sen. Obama, the Democratic party, and the American people.

Now let's come together as a unified party supporting Sen. Obama – our Democratic Presidential Nominee – on his way to becoming our 44th president!

It's time for REAL change in Washington, it's time for Barack Obama for president !

June 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  10. Jerome/ ATL

Its to late . You are still a selfish sore loser. Spare us .

June 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  11. Alec - Barbados (Caribbean Paradise)

I'm sure that Sen. Clinton will do her best to see the Democrats return to power in November. On another subject, why in the world is that pea brained Lou Dobbs always on Sen. Obama's "case" and for non-issues most of the time. This evening it's the flag pin again! Is he simply envious of the Senator's superior intellect?

June 4, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  12. Helena

I'm a Barack Obama supporter, but please let's all be as gracious to Hillary Clinton as Barack Obama has been to her. That's what Barack wants. I am sure he will appoint her to a respected position in his administration. He is a man of integrity.

June 4, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  13. Anthony

Just saw the guy from Mary Jones on TV and it seems to me there is still a lot of bitterness between supporters of Obama and Clinton.

June 4, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  14. sophia nyc

Is she still in the race?

June 4, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  15. Lynn

What a sad day. I guess now all the Obama people want to kiss and make up for our votes. NO WAY - What a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  16. Former Obama Supporter

I find funny that Obama supporters are bragging. If you keep this up, do you actually think we are just going to join you? You all are idiots.

June 4, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  17. Billiam the Kid

Tom. She knows that running as an independent is her own political suicide. She would have to drop out of the Dem party and might not even get reelected in NY. You might be delusional, but I asure you she isn't.

June 4, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  18. DCtrain

It will be interesting to have an intelligent President, amazing actually.

I think McCain is a good man, but unfortunately, he's not as bright as he once was. And the truth is that he wasn't a real mental stand-out in the past. I do however congratulate him on winning the GOP nomination. I just wonder though how lucid he will be with time.

We need a strong, intelligent President who cares about all of the people, and who is not quick to get involved in millitary conflict.

June 4, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  19. Chris

Gabe TX...So she ends her campaign with the Democratic Party? So what? It doesn't mean myself and millions of others won't be writing in her name on the ballot this fall

You mean a couple of hundred. This is the most stupidest thing. Instead of supporting a party, you are showing your bitterness. Let try to figure out how that helps the party. Morons.!!

June 4, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  20. ES NYC

TO ALL DEMOCRATS LET'S START THIS ALL OVER THE BLOGOSPHERE, YOU CAN EITHER SAY:

BITTER HILLARY SUPPORTER for all those whining spoilers
    or
    DECENT HILLARY SUPPORTER for all rational and decent voters that had Hillary as a first choice.

A clear difference for unity.

June 4, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  21. ELAINE

She should have made the move last night. She made a fool of herself by making it an "all about me" speech. Come on, history would have been made no matter who won, but do we really need a sore loser as a vice president.

June 4, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  22. Rain on your parade

Enjoy the short victory. Now he gets to play with the big boys. And are we going to have fun. By the time we get done with him he will be lucky to hold on to his Senate seat.
    Granpa McCAin as you idiots call him will take him down in November.

McCain can go on vacation until November and we will do the work for him. Barak will lose big time to McCain. Too many patriots not enough of you idiots that can't' see what he represents.

June 4, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  23. Irene

Answer me this....

How could Hillary win as an Independent when she couldn't win against Obama???

Please enlighten me.

More people have voted for Obama and even more will vote for him in November.

June 4, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  24. Sarah Smith

She is really being FEMALE about this

a BIG SNIT

A SORE LOSER

Didn't see Gore act this way .. or anyone else

oh she was SOOOOO EMOTIONALLY WRAPPED UP IN THIS

she can't let go!

poor judgement – bad leadership

June 4, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  25. Former Hillary supporter

Finally, lets unite to beat McSame !!!!!

June 4, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |