June 4th, 2008

Sources: Clinton will officially suspend on her run on Saturday

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/06/04/democrats.wednesday/art.clinton.gesture.gi.jpg caption="Sources tell CNN Clinton is bowing out on Saturday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton will officially end her campaign for the presidency by the end of the week, multiple sources told CNN.

Sen. Hillary Clinton said Tuesday that she will let her supporters and party leaders decide her course.

The campaign said late Friday that Clinton would be hosting an event in Washington Saturday to "thank her supporters and express her support for Senator Obama and party unity."

Obama and Clinton were in Washington on Wednesday to each address the influential American Israel Public Affairs Committee. The candidates ran into each other at the AIPAC conference and had a brief chat, Obama spokeswoman Linda Douglass said.

"She's an extraordinary leader of the Democratic Party and has made history alongside me over the last 16 months. I'm very proud to have competed against her," Obama told the Israel lobbying group.

Obama became his party's presumptive nominee Tuesday and will be looking to unite Democrats divided by the long and contentious primary season.

"I am very confident how unified the Democratic Party is going to be to win in November," he said in a Senate hallway Wednesday.

UPDATE:
The Clinton campaign has announced it is holding an event Saturday to "to thank her supporters and express her support for Senator Obama and party unity."

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Mary Hernandez

I hope Hillary runs as an independent. Obama cannot win. I don't know what our supposedly intelligent top Democrats are thinking unless they are secretly going for McCain. Obama cannot beat McCain. Obama will not get my vote. I either will not vote or will vote Republican for the first time.
    After the way Hillary has been treated by members of her own party, she owes them NOTHING.

June 4, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  2. Lee,

Did I hear Friday is the D-Day for Hillary. How graceful can that be? Boss Lady Pelosi gave an ultimatum, her donors defect to OBAMA. Hooray! that is what it takes if that is definite.

June 4, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  3. Ian

"We must work to have a Democrat in the White House come next year."
    "I will work my heart out for Sen Obama if he is the nominee."
    "It would be a grave mistake to vote for Sen McCain over Sen Obama."

– Hillary Clinton

Please, angry Hillary supporters, don't go against her words. I know you're upset that she lost, and rightfully so, but please, do what's right– Obama is about 2% different from Hillary when McCain is about 95% different from her. Don't hurt our country, our troops, our children just because you feel angry that Obama is the nominee. Please.

June 4, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  4. ANA, LOS ANGELES, CA

About time.

June 4, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  5. Jet

........Ok, Now tell America what your change is 0bama!

June 4, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  6. Catherine

Good for you, Sen. Clinton. It is time for all democrats to unite behind Sen. Obama, our nominee and focus on the general election.

June 4, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  7. Grace

Hillary is just a self-absorbing, self-serving mess.

June 4, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  8. msloudog

I will not believe it until it happens, but just in case it does. Great, now lets get to work and get the democratics back in office

June 4, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  9. Chris

Finally....

June 4, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  10. belle

She is just suspending her campaign. Not ending it.

June 4, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  11. Sean

Time to come together and win in November. We can't sentence thousands of our young soldiers to death in Iraq simply to satisfy our personal frustration that our favorite candidate didn't win the nomination. That's what a vote for McCain would do.

June 4, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  12. Priestley Johnson

Its about time! Hillary Clinton is a fighter but unfortunatley she will do anything to get herself in office. That includes dividing our party and then running as an independent. I think this is low of her and I think Obama has handled it with as much grace as possible.Tuesday night he complimented her and congraduated her on her victories but she didnt even acknowledge his. I think if she wants anything from Obama she better just concede out with grace with the little dignity she has. And even if she dose that she should not be the VP.

June 4, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  13. Frank H

1st she should Fired Howard Wolfson, Lanny Davis and Terry McAuliffe, Did they got it WAY WRONG...

The whole bunch of them are the worst...

I watched Wolfson on the Today show this morning and I and thought is this man nuts? He was so beaten that he could not even say that Obama Won the race, They must have really been drinking the koolaid.

It's better late then never but she will lost my support.

June 4, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  14. Jeca

Thank you Hillary!! Now let's unite, let's be a strong Party,let's beat the Republicans and let's take over the white house.

God Bless you Hillary and Senator Obama

We love you !!

June 4, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  15. Dem Switching

There are those of us that will never vote for Obama, now his supporters are trying to be so gracious but we see what is really behind this. He can't win without her 18 million supporters.

June 4, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  16. Hillary2008

Goodbye Democratic (Lunatic) Party. I will be voting McCain in November. I guess nowadays, you really need NO Qualifications to become president. Look who he picks to chose VP- Caroline Kennedy. What qualifications does she have to pick a VP?.And they are criticizing Clinton for just being a First Lady before running. What has Caroline Kennedy done for the American People? Write a book?. do some charity and that's it?. oh please....... Colin Powell is the black man I want for President and Condi Rice for VP!!!!

June 4, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  17. Geoff

I voted for Dukakis in my first election....

I would've voted for any Democratic presidential candidate in Nov.
    regardless of whoever is would be

Let's Unite!!!!!

Obama 08

June 4, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  18. DCtrain

I think we should be careful. Hillary has a very large and powerful base now. And we need to respect that and bring healing to the party.

June 4, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  19. Ora

How nice of Presidential Candiate Obama. Who has been nothing but a gentlemen to Hillary. It's nice that still as defiant she is in conceding that you are so graceful towards her. She still seems like a monster! LOL

June 4, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  20. brian bernard

THATS ABOUT TIME HILLARY

June 4, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  21. Esaias

About time!!!!!

June 4, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  22. Cindy

I voted for Hillary!!!

June 4, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  23. susan

why would my comment be waiting for moderation? Just take out the last sentence. I can't imagine what would be offensive about what i wrote. Don't print this–obviously Thank You

June 4, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  24. Dem Switching

Oh my god please give me a break with all lets get together talk. You hypricrits.

June 4, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  25. Dylan

all of you, I am an obama supporter, this is a difficult thing to do for hillary clinton. Give her space and time. She really cares about this country and was emotionally tied to this race. its not an easy thing to let go when you put your all into something. Stop speculating....she will drop out, just give her space so she can come to terms with it. She deserves that.

June 4, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |