June 4th, 2008

Kennedy joins Obama VP search team

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

(CNN) - Caroline Kennedy has joined Barack Obama's vice presidential selection team, an Obama campaign spokesman said Wednesday.

Former Fannie Mae CEO Jim Johnson and former Deputy U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder are also serving on the committee.

Kennedy, the daughter of President John F. Kennedy, formally endorsed Obama late January in a New York Times op-ed piece titled, "A President Like My Father."

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them," Kennedy wrote then. "But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president - not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Becky

Jon, June 4th, 2008 2:54 pm ET

"I can't see how Hillary can accept spot # 2. I think she's not saying anything so she doesn't sound like a spoiler. I don't believe for one minute that she has to put the party ahead of her own interest. After all, SHE wants to be President. Being a Democrat is just a coincidence."

____________________________________

I agree that Hillary is definitely power hungry!

June 4, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. RT

I can't believe there are still morons on these blogs claiming Hillary won the poplular vote. No she didn't . She lied to you......again. And you still believe her. Bargaining chip.

Just like she said, every vote must count. Unless you are claiming popular vote victory and exclude every caucus state, Washington state and don't count any uncommitted votes. Right Hillary?

June 4, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  3. Voting Obama

I BELEIVE THAT NO MATTER WHAT. PEOPLE WILL NEVER GIVE OBAMA THE CREDIT HE DESERVES. HEY U CAN'T PLEASE EVERYBODY. KEEP IT UP OBAMA. ALOT OF PEOPLE BELIEVE IN YOU THATS WHY YOU ARE OUR NOMINEE!!

June 4, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  4. Tim

Comments are moderated by Obama supporters at CNN, in accordance with the CNN Let's-Get-Obama-Elected Comment Policy, and may not appear on this blog until they have been reviewed and deemed to be supportive of Obama. Also, due to the volume of comments we receive, comments disfavorable to Obama, the Democrats, or CNN will NOT be posted.

June 4, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  5. Jesse - San Antonio TX

He is nothing like JFK.

Robert, probably.

June 4, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. Dan

As they say in the NAVY. Obama just shot a warning shot across the her bow. Time to pack it in Hill.

June 4, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  7. vicky

I was a Hillary supporter but the Picture away is worth a thousand words!

June 4, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  8. D. Casey

This is a good thing... none of these people are close to Clinton and I am sure they will make a great team to select potential running mates.

Anyone but Clinton. That said, I believe she could be an awesome Supreme Court Justice – a job, one might add, that doesn't require running every two to six years. I believe she could advance the cause of women and the ordinary people as a Justice.

D. Casey in California

9. Steph

I know for sure now Hillary is not on this ticket. Especially after that sour comment she made. She truly going to need to learn to speak more postive and be whole lot more appreciative when someone congratulate her and go all out to do so. And while she's pouting about not winning. She is not helping the economy while doing so.

10. Ed - Washington DC

I hope that Barack and his team will not choose Hillary as a running mate.

But she's still running for co-president.

Hillary is brilliant and often a better speaker than she is generally perceived to be. But she needs to go so far as to rebuild her ego – get over her self centeredness and her starving for applause and personal adulation – before she can be an integral part of a program for governing as envisioned by Barack Obama.

11. jack

Joe Lieberman! Let's get some wisdom in the white house!

12. brent

Hillary antics are bad signs of what type of person she is. she will try to jeopardize his campaign so she can run again in 2012. i would not have the clintons anywhere near the general campaign. go ahead, kennedy.

13. Dori/ Florida

Are you forgetting that Obama barely won this contest? If you want him to win the national election, then forget your bigotries against the Clinton, and think Politics. He need her and her supporters to win this election. Of course, i forgot, i am dealing with politically immature people, like your candidate himself….

14. alejandro vidaurreta

I don't know what is Carter doing here after the interview with HAMAS.
    I don't think Hillary will be in same ticket that Obama......
    Hillary's supporters never will vote by Obama...they will stay at home.
    Obama has to pay with something a Kennedy, Richardson, Edwards
    (no VP please) and I forget Kerry.
    He can't put Caroline in honor of her father JFK o her mother JOK

15. GTM

Fatal mistake if Obama picks Hillary for VP. What a mess that would be.

16. THE LONE RANGER

I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THE CLINTONISTAS AND HILLARY, DEMANDING THEY BE RESPECTED, WHEN IN FACT HILLARY SHOWED A LACK OF RESPECT HERSELF IN NOT CONGRATULATING OBAMA ON HIS NOMINATION. NARCISSISTS, SELF ABSORBED EGOS , ALL OF THEM.

17. canada

Good selection – A tribute to the Kennedy Family.
    I might add, anyone is fine for this slot except Hillary.

18. Tonya, Richmond, VA

WHOEVER HE PICKS AS HIS VP I HOPE ALL THE DEMOCRATS STILL VOTE FOR HIM IN NOVEMBER!!!! LET'S BE WISE AND NOT IGNORANT!

ANYONE BUT MCBUSH!!!!!

IF YOU CHOOSE TO BE ONE SIDED AND SET IN YOUR WAYS, DON'T COMPLAIN WHEN THINGS NEVER CHANGE. AMERICANS ARE ALWAYS CRYING ABOUT WANTING CHANGE BUT WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO IT, THEY CRITIZE AND JUDGE AND DONT WANT TO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN! SO TYPICAL!

19. LB

Not a Clinton fan, but after all the vetting if they think Hillary is the best choice, who am I to argue. I have no doubt that they are a lot better qualified on the VP selection than most of us are. After all we all want what will be best for the USA and I think this team will do everything it can to do just that job.

20. Quinn

Probably another Kennedy for the White House, wow, that's change. Let's keep the Kennedy dynasty, monarchy, whatever you want to call it going.

It's funny, Obama supporters don't want Hillary on the ticket, but keep saying how she MUST go out and campaign really hard for him to win. They also want her supporters to vote for BO. The Obama group is aslo looking to Hillary's fund raisers for help with the general election.

Obama, the Bush/Cheney energy guy. You can't have your cake & eat it too!

21. TJP

"Move on" You're right. The country doesn't need another 4 years of GWB. That's why the country shouldn't vote for another inexperienced whimp like Obama.

22. moses

Do you need a committee to select Hillery

23. Jesse - San Antonio TX

Nader 2008.
    Or maybe that Libertarian.

I am no longer a DemocRAT.

24. Eric

Dave SC,

Your comments indicate that you have no idea what it takes to run a nation. Of course you use committee & teams. They make the recommendation and he ultimately makes the final call.

Do actually think that the president review and analyze each decision independently?

25. All Are Welcome

The hard-core Hill followers seem to think that without them, we can't win. But what they don't realize is that there are many more new/first time voters who can easily fill their void (and then some)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18