June 4th, 2008

Kennedy joins Obama VP search team

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

(CNN) - Caroline Kennedy has joined Barack Obama's vice presidential selection team, an Obama campaign spokesman said Wednesday.

Former Fannie Mae CEO Jim Johnson and former Deputy U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder are also serving on the committee.

Kennedy, the daughter of President John F. Kennedy, formally endorsed Obama late January in a New York Times op-ed piece titled, "A President Like My Father."

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them," Kennedy wrote then. "But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president - not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. JDC // Ohio

I am old enough to recall the Kennedy-Johnson team, getting us bogged down in Viet Nam and 50,000 Americans killed. And people want to complain about Bush!!!

June 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  2. Yep

Congrats for choosing flash over substance.

June 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. Marty Ohio

Better to hire a team to th edirty work of denying Hillary than him do it himself. No way can he have Hillary on the ticket. She doesn't gain any electoral votes. It will probably be Ted Strickland of Ohio. It's a no-brainer 20 electoral votes that he otherwise won't be able to get.

June 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  4. kmiller

can we all say to Hillary........

........................................your Fired............. will she get a clue???

June 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  5. ANGIE

well thank god no clinton vp i have faith he will choose the right person hes a smart man just look how far he has come i cant wait to have him as president!!!!!

June 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  6. DutchComment

No Clinton please.

June 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  7. Lisa

Texas Trail Dog

You are such a great Clinton supporter she must be so proud of you!!!!!!!Call Hill tell her to run on Independent ticket, and tell her to take you with her. I can't believe CNN did not take your comment off, shame on you!!!

June 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  8. Trenton Sims, Los Angeles

POPULAR VOTE>?
    Hillary Won by 10,000 in South Dakota
    Barack is winning by 28,000 in Montana..
    Net Gain for Barack 18,000 POPULAR VOTES..!
    Using 2 of 3 Scenarios on CNN Hillary Was winning before tonight by less than 18,000 votes.
    Therefore.. BARACK OBAMA WON THE POPULAR VOTE..
    HILLARY SHUTT THE FRACK UPP…!!!
    CLINTON Wins NO STATISTICAL BRACKETS… NONE..
    NOTHING…
    NOT 1…..
    NADA.!
    BARACK WON THE POPULAR VOTE..!!!!!

I think we all should chip in and pay for some Psycho Therapy for Mrs. Clinton..she is one twisted Sister.. WOW
    Ohh lets make sure that Hellary gets an Aids test too..

June 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  9. Angela

Yes – that makes sense. I was wondering what was in it for Ted Kennedy when he endorsed Obama.

June 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  10. BREAKING NEWS:

LIKE AMERICAN EXPRESS SAYS: "MEMBERSHIP HAS ITS BENIFITS".

June 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  11. dave

Obama is showing that he will take advice from sound people in every decision he makes unlike a Bush or Clinton. Clinton supporters, give it up. You need to wake up, nobody else.

June 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  12. Sam

Caroline Kennedy for VP. She is pretty and a well known name. This would make the ticket seem "American" as apple pie. Kennedy legacy tied to Obama . .. . winning ticket!!

June 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  13. catherine

Choose someone who does not have the last name Clinton

June 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  14. Brian Riback

He really is this generation's JFK and just like John Mayer said...I hope it's time for our generation to lead this population and get the racists of the world in the minority and have us all stand up to lead this man to a much needed victory. In EVERY way McCain represents the past...let's stand together and bring this country a step towards the future!

June 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  15. thruthseeker

Hooray another voice of reason. Caroline is levelheaded enough to know Hillary is out ! Ted Kenndy said as much a few weeks ago. After all Barack doesn't need Hillary, it's just that she wants people to think he does.

June 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  16. K

BO will need HRC's 18 million votes in the fall. Plain as that.

June 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  17. Mike D. from San Diego

Seems like the whole Democratic party is screaming "I'm staying home or voting for McCain if I don't get my way." GUESS WHAT...you're not all going to get your way...any combination of Democrats in the White House is better than McCain.
    You defectors are all spoiled little children...I'm talking to Obama supporters as well, threatning to leave if he selects Hillary as veep...get over yourselves folks...
    ARE YOU MORE INTERESTED IN ENDING THIS WAR AND FIXING THE ECONOMY OR GETTING YOUR OWN SPOILED INTERESTS SERVED?!?!?!?!?

June 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  18. Chula

Hillary your suppporters want you to take it to the Convention.....we are behind you all the way!

Articles like this only inspire us and drive us to stand behind you no matter what.

We're there for you....so let's go to Denver and let the chips fall where they may!

Go Hillary!!!

June 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  19. Independent white woman for Obama

Good move. They won't want Hillary AND Bill.

June 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  20. 1paperclip

I am sure that Obama will consider every thing before he seelects a VP. He will only choose Hillary if it is the best thing for the ticket. I thought people trusted his judgement? So why are the Obama supporters trying to tell him what to do if they trust his judgement so much?

June 4, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  21. You just won't quit with the remarks

I don't think I speak for myself only when I say I will never cast a vote for Obama. I cannot believe his supporters are still being nasty and smart mouthed toward Hillary. Obama was "put in" by the DNC heavies and the media. It had nothing to do with any skills on his part. All of us Hillary supporters have to swallow the fact that Hillary lost because of the abandonment of her party, and not to mention race. How could anyone Hillary supporter unit with him when his supporters will not even to this day shut their mouths. I will either write in Hillary's name, or stay home, or might even cast a vote for McCain. You will not hold us hostage with threats of what will happen if we vote for McCain because there is more of a threat if we vote for Obama. He knows nothing and is a shady person who cannot be trusted. How could the DNC shove her aside. I hope they go down the toilet. I will not and do not believe for a moment that Hillary supporters will go his way or rub elbows with him – CNN you cannot manipulate us that way. It is sad when the DNC and media pick the choice for President and not the people. Stop playing your mind games, you won ok. But now WE have the power to stop him in November – GO FOR IT HILLARY SUPPORTERS.

June 4, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  22. The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty

ANYONE BUT CLINTON

we want change
    we have voted for progress
    we dont want dyansty
    we dont want billy boo
    we dont want the same old same

June 4, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  23. M in MN

Please, please not Hillary.

Her lying (sniper fire anyone?), flip-flopping (war is good, no war is bad!) and wanting to change the rules every time they did not benefit her (FL and MI should be punished and not count at all. Oh...I'm behind...wait, FL and MI should count fully, even though I didn't do the right thing, the thing that I agreed to do) has done her in.

She could not be trusted to hold the VP spot. President-to-be Obama needs people around him he can trust. Her inability to follow the rules, accept reality (really, people, haven't we had enough of a president who isn't grounded in reality? "We're not in a recession."), and grace to concede a hard fought battle makes her unacceptable.

Give her a health care post or something, and we'll see if she can get it done this time around.

June 4, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  24. Bob Indianapolis, IN

Think Jim Webb.

June 4, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  25. Fazio

Please don't let the Hillary camp use their leverage to pressure you into picking her as VP. A lot of people in the US do not like her – Republicans would rise up in great numbers, rallying against her, if she was on the ticket...

Especially - after all the numerous speeches in which Hillary emphasized how unqualiified Obama is... what sense does it make to include her? She would only prove to continue to manipulate, stelth and manuver to to upstage President Obama.

No, she's bad news... drop her from the short list.

June 4, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |