June 4th, 2008

Kennedy joins Obama VP search team

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

(CNN) - Caroline Kennedy has joined Barack Obama's vice presidential selection team, an Obama campaign spokesman said Wednesday.

Former Fannie Mae CEO Jim Johnson and former Deputy U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder are also serving on the committee.

Kennedy, the daughter of President John F. Kennedy, formally endorsed Obama late January in a New York Times op-ed piece titled, "A President Like My Father."

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them," Kennedy wrote then. "But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president - not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. CATHY

Even if obama takes HILLARY as VP I' still not voting for him.I' writting HILLARY"S name in NOV.HILLARY SUPPORTERS SHOULD DO THE SAME THING SINCE THEY DON;T NEED OUR VOTES.

June 4, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  2. patwal

Judging by his exemplary success at organising and running both his actual campaign and his fund-raising efforts, I have no doubt that Obama's search for a VP will be equally as thorough and organised, and will prove in the end to be a well thought-out choice... and will be someone who reflects his core message of "Change – No More Politics as Usual"

June 4, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  3. ac

What he looses in women voters for not picking Hillary, he'll gain in Independents for not picking her. A net gain!!

June 4, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. Wake up America!!

Wake up AMERICA!!!
    Not voting or voting for McCain because Hillary is not on the ticket is on of the DUMBEST things I have heard this election season. At the end of the day the Clinton’s will be okay. If we allow more of the same BS to go on in this country they will not be affected by it. Rather, the everyday hard working Americans who try to provide for their families living pay-check to pay-check will suffer.

Do you really think your decision to spite Obama hurts them? WAKE UP!!!
    You are only HURTING YOURSELF!

June 4, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  5. Chris

Hooray!!!!!! Way to go Barack!!!!!

June 4, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  6. Canadian Bacon

Not sure how all of a sudden hillary's rallying point and agenda revolves around the women and the feminist movement.I do not trivialize the importance of women's rights, but i thought the focus was about, the economy, the Iraq war, health care, high energy prices, jobs

June 4, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  7. RKR Lynchburg

*********************************************************************
    To those who try to 'Make the best of the situation" who say that
    Hillary should be veep'ed, the platform that Obama ran from
    becomes all but shattered if he picks Clinton as the running
    mate. If Obama proves to be that shaky and without a backbone,
    I honestly believe that McCain will be the better president. Obama's
    best chances are picking a running mate who really teams up
    with his vision, yet make up for what he lacks. Hillary offers nothing
    that Obama lacks (Their strengths are similar in terms of experience)
    and if he picks her, he'd loose his primary winning point, that is his
    msg. of "change". If Obama is to loose either way, he should at
    least loose to McCain is a dignified way. Picking Hillary will
    only help him go down in humiliation. Also, we need new energy,
    something new in the next phase of the campaign – Only if you
    can convince Edwards.....
    *************************************************************************

June 4, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  8. CJinMD

I have to say after months of listening to Obama fans I have decided that if he will be anything like his supporters this country is destined to fall apart. I have never read such hate and truly disgusting comments about another person in my life. Ok, so you dont like the Clintons, ok so you didnt want to see her win, Ok so you dont want her as VP.. OK, OK, OK. BUT DO YOU ALL HAVE TO BE SO NEGATIVE AND UGLY???? If this man is truly going to CHANGE AMERICA, he better start with his own supporters. You all are not what he speaks of, you all are the same ugly and nasty political types that you want out of office! This country is in need of some serious healing, and the sooner the Obama fanatics stop tearing Hillary apart the better off the rest of us will be, Do you all think you can stop and take a look at the issues??? "Your man" won... now lets see if he can back up everything he claims to be. GOD BLESS AMERICA, we sure need it!

June 4, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  9. Chris

I think his VP is already leading the search.

10. Anonymous

Mike Hunt for VP!

11. D DAVIS

IF OBAMA SELECT HILLARY FOR THE V.P. POSITION IT WOULD BE A HUGE MISTAKE.THE NEXT FOR FOUR YEARS WILL CONSIST OF LOOKING OVER HIS SHOULDERS AND DEFENDING HIS PRESIDENTIAL DECISIONS. LIFE IS HARD ENOUGH WITHOUT FIGHTING YOUR V.P. FOR THE NEXT FOUR YEARS. PLEASE OBAMA GET SOMEONE ELES ANY ONE ELSE BUT HILLARY.

12. Sarah

I don't think Clinton would be the smartest choice either. But Obama is thinking strategically and he knows that although us Obama backers don't want to see HRC on the ticket, we'll still come through for him, because we're voting with our brains and not with our emotions. Vote democrat 08 – no matter what!

But I doubt he'll choose Hillary.

13. paul oregon

please no clintons

14. Olivia

Obama seem to project so far that he really like and respect Hillary, and know the worth of this woman that he has campaigned against...worked with.

He has now appointed a panel of 3 to pick his vp candidates, which include Caroline Kennedy. Caroline Kennedy does not like Hillary. She will probably select another woman or two. Does this all mean that Obama doesn't want Hillary as vp and he and his campaign is doing the usual.....him projecting a different face than what his campaign is really doing?

Everyone knows that Hillary has more than earned the vp slot.
    It will be interesting to see what his selection panel comes up with.
    Will Obama be fair?

15. Angie

Please NO Hillary Clinton. I just saw on the news this morning that the BET founder (who trashed Obama on tv) and Lanny Davis are trying to get her on the ticket. Someone please tell me it ain't so!

16. peakarach,des moines

OBAMA/OSAMA 08!

17. Grant

Rumor has it that McCain is meeting with Bob Dole for his running mate, really playing on his new experience themed campaign slogan!

18. Robert Lucas

What happened to Article II of the Constitution of United States?

In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President.

19. Lebanon

If it took you that long to win the Democratic race, why waste it and pick someone completely different from your views. Make a wise descion Obama, and stop talking to the AIPAC.

Obama 08'

20. jose

Well guys, No Hillary, No Vote! Even if she endorses Obama, I still wont be voting for him or at all and I am sure, there are plenty of us who feel the same way. It's been a lot fun. Good luck to you guys!

21. larry

Move on June 4th, 2008 2:56 pm ET

To all you catty Hillary supporters that "will vote for McCain" if she's not on the ticket, I ask this:

You would rather put our country through 4 more years of GWB aka Grandpa McCain, rather than vote for your party and for change?

That's disgusting.
    ==========================

I wouldn't vote for Obama if Hillary was on the ticket!!!

Run as an Independent Hillary!!!!!!!!!

22. DNC

OK PEOPLE LET ME REMIND YOU THAT BEING THE SPOUSE OF A FORMER PRESIDENT DOES NOT GIVE YOU EXPERIENCE………….I DONT KNOW WHY PEOPLE CHOOSE TO IGNORE THAT………BUSH HAD EXPERIENCE AND LOOK WHERE WE ENDED UP!

23. Bonnie Bragg

If he truly wants to unite this party then he can show it and chose Hillary. Otherwise its just words. We need action Obama not just another politicians empty promises. Put your money where your mouth is or you will loose her supporters, like myself.

24. Concerned Democrat

Why do we care what Caroline Kennedy thinks other than who her father and mother were? She is not involved in politics and has in fact shied away from it. Aren't the Kennedy's just another corrupt political family like the Obam supports claim the Clinton's to be.

June 4, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |